Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Raluek posted:

I do use most of the machines from time to time, and a few things are kept for sentimental reasons. The spare parts and boxes are "just in case".

1 Machine. Use VMware if you want "extra" machines. Just virtualize your clutter. Keep an extra nic around just in case. Everything else should be dumped or donated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Doctor Robot posted:

^^^^^^ Does anyone else see the face?

Yes, and it's really awesome. WALL-eeeeE.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CRT vs. LCD doesn't really matter to me at all for stuff like playing games, but reading text from a CRT really sucks after you've gotten used to something that you can use ClearType with.

It also doesn't help that the power here is really lovely, so the image on CRT monitors and televisions vibrates like crazy and randomly spazzes out.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Doctor Robot posted:

^^^^^^ Does anyone else see the face?

Will it bop up and down like Peewee's Playhouse?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 4, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
WHAT MAKES FRENCH TOAST CRUNCH

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
This thread made me clean my apartment.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Sister Miyagi posted:

This is after I cleaned up :smith:

I am concerned that the shelf holding the CRT might not do so forever.

Isbiten
Oct 23, 2005

Mr Podge posted:

I really like that photo on your wall of the two cars. Do you know where you got it, or who it's by?

It's from Art of the Hot Rods 2005 wall calendar with all the pictures taken by Peter Vincent. I bought it cheap in 2006 and put some of the pictures in frames.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I originally did my cabling pretty neatly, but the problem is that it's difficult to neatly add cables later. :( The real horror is behind the AV-table, there's just no room for all of it.

The left monitor is dead, fortunately a 24" LCD has been ordered.

warwick5s posted:

Is that one of those nifty 3M keyboard trays? God I wish I could convince myself to pay the price for one of them.

Nick at Nite man
May 9, 2004

Prelude Gundam posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yeah.. I'll probably label things later.

Oh my god, wait I can't see a hole in the chair for poop...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InferiorWang posted:

1 Machine. Use VMware if you want "extra" machines. Just virtualize your clutter. Keep an extra nic around just in case. Everything else should be dumped or donated.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. I'm gonna be putting almost all my machines on Craigslist once I do clean installs on them (and get around to it). The black machine on the floor is staying though, it was my first homebuild so I'm rather fond of it. It's not worth anything anyways (AthlonXP system).

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
What methods are available for folks who are trying to get rid of obsolete equipment that they feel wouldn't sell on eBay/CraigsList? I figure that regular dumps wouldn't take them due to the heavy metal ( :black101: ) content and such.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

What methods are available for folks who are trying to get rid of obsolete equipment that they feel wouldn't sell on eBay/CraigsList? I figure that regular dumps wouldn't take them due to the heavy metal ( :black101: ) content and such.

Electronic recycle centers.
Maybe http://www.eiae.org/

Isbiten
Oct 23, 2005
There are special recycling companies for electronics that are happy to extract all those precious metals from your old electronics. At my local recycling location they got special areas for various electronics such as TVs and computers.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Goodwill usually gets my old boxes. Mainly cause they are a block away as opposed to having to drive to the nearest electronics recycler.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Saukkis posted:

Is that one of those nifty 3M keyboard trays? God I wish I could convince myself to pay the price for one of them.

It's actually a Fellowes keyboard tray. The mouse tray is a little wobbly and I'm going to have to figure out some way to reinforce it, but overall it's pretty decent.

I'm surprised how everyone here just throws their keyboard on the desk. That's bad for you!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

warwick5s posted:

I'm surprised how everyone here just throws their keyboard on the desk. That's bad for you!
How does it make a difference what the keyboard is on? Unless you mean height wise, in which case my chair is high enough so that my keyboard is at the right height (hence the 3rd party Ergotron base on my monitor).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

warwick5s posted:

It's actually a Fellowes keyboard tray. The mouse tray is a little wobbly and I'm going to have to figure out some way to reinforce it, but overall it's pretty decent.

My desk is too small to put the keyboard on top and it's pretty much awful to use.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Raluek posted:

The spare parts and boxes are "just in case".

Just in case you meet someone that isn't immediately scared of you, so you can watch their face twist in horror, right?

Prelude Gundam posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yeah.. I'll probably label things later.

Dude...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Might find the discussion here (from earlier this week) useful:
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/08/12/1117221.shtml

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Caged posted:

How does it make a difference what the keyboard is on? Unless you mean height wise, in which case my chair is high enough so that my keyboard is at the right height (hence the 3rd party Ergotron base on my monitor).

I'm a pretty average height dude, and it seems like to get my arms at the right angle on most desks I'd have to have the seat up very high, and then I'd need a foot rest or to use a drafting chair with the ring footrest.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

I like my virtual desktop the same as my real desktop, neat. :)

nail
Jul 15, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Goodwill usually gets my old boxes. Mainly cause they are a block away as opposed to having to drive to the nearest electronics recycler.
I'd like to encourage this. I volunteer at my nearby non-profit and they are always short on usable gear to sell. There's a computer there now that's not worth working on because there's no monitor to include with it. Meanwhile some stores I've seen have tons of monitors and no computers. Poor people need computers too!

icarus
Nov 7, 2003

hyperborean posted:

I'd like to encourage this. I volunteer at my nearby non-profit and they are always short on usable gear to sell. There's a computer there now that's not worth working on because there's no monitor to include with it. Meanwhile some stores I've seen have tons of monitors and no computers. Poor people need computers too!

My friend used to be a sorter at Goodwill and he said that anything that could be over $20 was supposed to get sent away for the higher-ups to sell on eBay. If you're just looking to get rid of some computers, Goodwill is fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's a donation to the poor.

If there's a Free Geek in your area, I recommend that place for your old computers.

My desk..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Is there any consensus on using a yoga ball for a chair?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

OH AND I DON'T LIVE LIKE poo poo

(There's probably 70 cables back there. gently caress not tying that up.)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 15, 2008

Nick at Nite man
May 9, 2004

Misogynist posted:

OH AND I DON'T LIVE LIKE poo poo

(There's probably 70 cables back there. gently caress not tying that up.)
That is awesomely commendable, I have problems with all the cables around my router and it is nowhere near that many. I guess I never got around to it because I move every two years or less.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They'll take them just fine if you sledgehammer them down into tiny, unrecognizable cubes first. Or, if your garbageman is a dickhead who has been leaving his beer cans on your lawn, encase them in concrete.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

Is there any consensus on using a yoga ball for a chair?

I have tried a couple ergonomic chairs as well as the ball. In my experience they feel great for a while then get tiresome. It seems like the idea thing would be to have a regular chair as well and switch off. Some days the ball will feel great but other days you wont want to deal with it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Horace posted:

I am concerned that the shelf holding the CRT might not do so forever.

The shelf is something I rescued from a dumpster during spring move-out at my university. No, it will probably not hold that CRT forever, but hopefully I won't have a CRT (or a lovely desk) forever either.

As far as where to put the keyboard, I hook up a USB keyboard and wireless mouse to my laptop when it's on my desk, and keep everything on my lap while I sit in a recliner I also rescued from the curb :cool:

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Juriko posted:

I have tried a couple ergonomic chairs as well as the ball. In my experience they feel great for a while then get tiresome. It seems like the idea thing would be to have a regular chair as well and switch off. Some days the ball will feel great but other days you wont want to deal with it.

... but I don't want a relationship with my computerchair. :(

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Click to enlarge

Mac Mini, 500Gb Time Capsule, HP w2228h LCD

Also visible: whiskey under the desk, Skype phone for talking to MY GIRLFRIEND abroad, Dolby decoder and 5.1 speakers left over from my PC setup, Barclays PinSentry online verification machine (loving pointless), iPod Shuffles, lots of mess (check those wires).

I really need to tidy that area up. Mac Mini and monitor and brand spanking new so I should probably do it now.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jadias posted:

Mac Mini, 500Gb Time Capsule, HP w2228h LCD

Also visible: whiskey under the desk, Skype phone for talking to MY GIRLFRIEND abroad, Dolby decoder and 5.1 speakers left over from my PC setup, Barclays PinSentry online verification machine (loving pointless), iPod Shuffles, lots of mess (check those wires).

I really need to tidy that area up. Mac Mini and monitor and brand spanking new so I should probably do it now.

I would Hide some of it. I personally used L brackets to make a under desk mount for my mac and stored my time machine backup drive in my top drawer were I keep my misc media. Super clean look and lots of free desk space.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

I'm an art student, everything on the walls is my own :D (except a couple of postcards and the thayer)

My mother and sister are incredibly messy, which has made me anally retentive when it comes to tidying my room..i spend about 30 minutes a day tidying and cleaning it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Nuntius posted:

I'm an art student, everything on the walls is my own :D (except a couple of postcards and the thayer)

My mother and sister are incredibly messy, which has made me anally retentive when it comes to tidying my room..i spend about 30 minutes a day tidying and cleaning it.

Work harder on your figure drawing! :colbert:

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Juriko posted:

Work harder on your figure drawing! :colbert:

Pfffff, I'm a sculpture student, specifically so I don't have to draw anymore

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster
So much expensive tech, so much dumpster diving furniture.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Juriko posted:

I would Hide some of it. I personally used L brackets to make a under desk mount for my mac and stored my time machine backup drive in my top drawer were I keep my misc media. Super clean look and lots of free desk space.

Yeah, I might do. The Mac Mini arrived yesterday and the monitor today, so it's pretty much chucked on there as-is until the excitement wears off. When I move into my dorm in September I'll be trying to keep poo poo tidy, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

3363 posted:

I guess since I took these for the purpose of bragging I might as well continue bragging.

I don't think I'm going to get around the fact that I'll need a receiver to get proper surround without cumbersome switching or software rerouting. This was supposed to be a desktop PC primarily, but it's mutating into more and more of a home theater.

Forget the other poo poo, I got arguably the most baller headphones on the planet and that's all that really matters.

Edit: I guess I better upload some labels.

Oh I hate you so much right now.

Doesn't that get awkward turning your head to see either monitor though?