Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Salo packaging is out:

Looks really good. Especially the spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Found news on CriterionForum (.org) that should please NeuroticErotic, at least:

quote:

I attended a Monte Hellman triple feature at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin last night, which had Monte Hellman in attendance. He told me Criterion would be releasing "The Shooting" & "Ride In The Whirlwind."

Of course considering NE probably spends half his time in the Drafthouse he may have already heard it. :v:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
fear and loathing showed up today. Still no word on the others.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Is that Andrzej Wajda box any good? I was talking to a friend and he heard about it but none of the films in the set are on netflix.

LaptopGun posted:

fear and loathing showed up today. Still no word on the others.

I've only got a few more left for Deep Discount to ship, been pretty happy so far.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Is that Andrzej Wajda box any good? I was talking to a friend and he heard about it but none of the films in the set are on netflix.

I've only got a few more left for Deep Discount to ship, been pretty happy so far.

The War Trilogy? If so, I find it hard to believe Netflix has none of them. But that set is worth a purchase. A Generation isn't that great, but Kanal is good and Ashes and Diamonds is a masterpiece.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mike_V posted:

The War Trilogy? If so, I find it hard to believe Netflix has none of them. But that set is worth a purchase. A Generation isn't that great, but Kanal is good and Ashes and Diamonds is a masterpiece.

I rank them the opposite:

Kanal - masterpiece
A Generation - good
Ashes and Diamonds - not that great

I got 11 of my DDD purchases, 2 more on the way, and 1 still backordered.

GoochBag
Mar 10, 2008

All right! Let's go get some men!

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Salo packaging is out:

Looks really good. Especially the spine.

As much as I want this edition, I don't think I can ever bring myself to watch that film again. Not that it's bad...

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone know the number blu-ray releases there are going sell when they first go out in October. Or is it just going to be the standard 3-5 a month like what they are doing with the dvds now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raspberry Bang posted:

Does anyone know the number blu-ray releases there are going sell when they first go out in October. Or is it just going to be the standard 3-5 a month like what they are doing with the dvds now.

Don't know, but apparently the first Blu-Rays won't be coming out until November.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Don't know, but apparently the first Blu-Rays won't be coming out until November.

I hope that doesn't put off the reissue of Walkabout...though then again, I might be better off, since if it comes in September, I'll be completely swamped with DVD purchases (the three Criterion Ophuls films, plus the restored Godfather box set).

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

"
Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are being remastered and will be solicited along with the previously unreleased Fuller film White Dog in December. Sweet month if your a Fuller fan. The December release date came from an individual who attended a White Dog screening in Los Angeles, but the confirmation about the rereleases of these two films and a dvd for White Dog has come from Criterion themselves."

That's awesome. Shock Corridor is one of my favorite Fullers, it's really quite crazy and very intense. Never heard of White Dog, I'll ask my film professor when I get back to school about it - she just wrote a book on Fuller.

Also - all of these movies that are being announced now for later releases, are they coming out on Blu-Ray as well?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

GoochBag posted:

As much as I want this edition, I don't think I can ever bring myself to watch that film again. Not that it's bad...

Is Salo really as brutal and disturbing as it's reputation leads me to believe?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Digital Osmosis posted:

That's awesome. Shock Corridor is one of my favorite Fullers, it's really quite crazy and very intense. Never heard of White Dog, I'll ask my film professor when I get back to school about it - she just wrote a book on Fuller.

White Dog is about a dog that is racist against black people.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Is Salo really as brutal and disturbing as it's reputation leads me to believe?

No... it features acts that are still shocking by today's standards, but they're so poorly executed that it's too fake to take very seriously.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Are there any good resources/places to find Criterion DVD's that are no longer in print besides scouring ebay? I suppose this is kind of a dumb question considering that most people who have many of the very sought after Criterion DVD's won't be giving them up, but I am looking for a few titles and have had a hell of a time figuring out any other way to get them. Am I screwed?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Are there any good resources/places to find Criterion DVD's that are no longer in print besides scouring ebay? I suppose this is kind of a dumb question considering that most people who have many of the very sought after Criterion DVD's won't be giving them up, but I am looking for a few titles and have had a hell of a time figuring out any other way to get them. Am I screwed?

It kind of depends on what you're looking for.

If you have any Movie Trading Co's nearby, sometimes you can get lucky. I've seen Robocop a few times and recently I found a copy of Silence of the Lambs (for $14). Beyond that, I haven't had much luck.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
On a side note, the documentary Hoop Dreams (which has a great Criterion release) is now on Hulu...so anyone who has not seen it and wants to see one of the most compelling documentaries of all time, you should go check it out.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
They are finally shipping my last 3.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

In the latest newsletter:

Hmm...any clue? I'm never good at these things and I'm sometimes baffled how people figure them out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

In the latest newsletter:

Hmm...any clue? I'm never good at these things and I'm sometimes baffled how people figure them out.

Argh. It's on the tip of my brain.

I can't stand it. I'm going to criterionforum.org, where I know someone figured it out instantly.

EDIT: welp, I guess it wasn't in my brain at all. Magnificent Obsession, which I haven't seen, but I'm really excited about because I'm on a big Sirk kick right now.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I just did a double feature of Element of Crime and Brand Upon the Brain! and now reality doesn't look right. :tinfoil:

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Argh. It's on the tip of my brain.

I can't stand it. I'm going to criterionforum.org, where I know someone figured it out instantly.

EDIT: welp, I guess it wasn't in my brain at all. Magnificent Obsession, which I haven't seen, but I'm really excited about because I'm on a big Sirk kick right now.

That's fantastic, I just finished the two Criterion has already put out. Any advice where to go from there?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ThetaOmnikron posted:

That's fantastic, I just finished the two Criterion has already put out. Any advice where to go from there?

Imitation of Life is wonderful (and I just bought it on eBay, so I'll be rewatching it soon). A Time to Love and a Time to Die is good, but the weakest of the four I've seen.

From what I've heard, his work prior to the 50's is not especially notable.

RaydaArab
Dec 25, 2004

by DocEvil
Has anyone order either Harakiri or Cries and Whispers from that DeepDiscount sale? Both are still on backorder.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

RaydaArab posted:

Has anyone order either Harakiri or Cries and Whispers from that DeepDiscount sale? Both are still on backorder.

None of my orders have shipped yet either, which includes:
4 by Agnes Varda, Mafioso, Mouchette, Rebel Samurai, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and That Obscure Object of Desire.

I'm not in too terribly big of a hurry, but it would be nice if they came in the next week or two.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

None of my orders have shipped yet either, which includes:
4 by Agnes Varda, Mafioso, Mouchette, Rebel Samurai, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and That Obscure Object of Desire.

I'm not in too terribly big of a hurry, but it would be nice if they came in the next week or two.

I got all mine a while ago (including Mouchette and Obscure Object).

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Yeah, I got my last four Criterions in the mail today (Obscure Object, Diary of a Chambermaid, Sword of Doom, and Equinox). Now my shelf is all filled up. :(

Exree
Oct 7, 2000
My two box sets shipped Wednesday 8/6. Ordered em on 7/23. But getting the Dreyer box and the Bergman Winter Light trilogy for $64 shipped is well worth the wait.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like Rushmore is going out of print:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8868536&postcount=52

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I could never get through Rushmore because Jason Schwartzman's face and voice really, really bother me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cacator posted:

I could never get through Rushmore because Jason Schwartzman's face and voice really, really bother me.

He's not really meant to be attractive to any viewer in that movie (or any other film really, or life.) Try again and bear through one of my favorite movies :)

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Cacator posted:

It's not one of my favorites, but those two aspects make Max Fischer that much more of an effective character.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

No big surprises, but some eagerly awaited titles... including BLU-RAY!

#450 - Bottle Rocket

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED DOUBLE-DISC SET SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman
- Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
- Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/star Owen Wilson
- The Making of “Bottle Rocket”: an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
- The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
- Eleven deleted scenes
- Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
- Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
- The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese, and original artwork by Ian Dingman

(also Blu-Ray edition, same features, single disc)

#451 - Fanfan la Tulipe

- New, restored digital transfer
- New video program about actor Gérard Philipe
- A clip from the colorized version of the film
- Theatrical trailer
- Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Kenneth Turan and an excerpt from Georges Sadoul's monograph on Philipe

#452 - The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- New interviews with author John Le Carré and cinematographer Oswald Morris
- The Secret Center: John Le Carré (2000), a BBC documentary on the author’s extraordinary life and work
- Acting in the ’60s: Richard Burton, a 1967 interview with the BBC’s Kenneth Tynan examining the actor’s performances and accomplishments
- Gallery of set designs
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Michael Sragow and a reprinted interview with Ritt
- More!

#453 - Chungking Express

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack supervised by director Wong Kar-wai
- Audio commentary by noted Asian cinema critic Tony Rayns
- Episode excerpt from the British television series Moving Pictures featuring Wong and cinematographer Christopher Doyle
- U.S. theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin and excerpts from a 1996 Sight and Sound interview with Wong by Rayns

(Blu-Ray edition, same features)

no release dates, but pages are up:

Blu-Ray The Third Man
Blu-Ray The Man Who Fell To Earth
Blu-Ray The Last Emperor

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Not a terribly exciting month for me, I'd like to see both The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Chungking Express but I was really hoping for an announcement of one of those titles that's been on the backburner forever like Last Year at Marienbad or My Dinner with Andre, though I suppose Bottle Rocket counts as one of those.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Any word on if there is going to be a spine number reset for the Blu-ray releases?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay, so... lots to talk about here.

* Blu-Ray priced same as DVDs - yay!

* Cover art for Blu-Rays appears identical to DVD versions. Will they be in the smaller cases? There has to be a way to distinguish them on the shelf.

* Bottle Rocket: awesome suite of extras, a must-buy (on Blu-Ray, of course!)

* Fanfan & Spy: as always, I rarely blind-buy, but most Criterions are guaranteed rentals for me.

* Chungking Express: the old DVD was lacking in some ways, but I'll miss Tarantino's enthusiastic comments. I'm kind of on the fence about WKW, but this is probably my favorite film by him, so I'll buy the Blu.

* The extras for the BRs of the previously released titles appear to be the same, but with less stuff in the booklets. This seems to indicate that they will be in the smaller cases.

* It appears that the BR of Last Emperor does NOT include the television version.

* Great use of the wacky C on the Chungking cover, although it's downright confusing on Bottle Rocket (CBottle Rocket?)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 15, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raspberry Bang posted:

Any word on if there is going to be a spine number reset for the Blu-ray releases?

The URL's for the Blu-Ray titles have the numbers 20000, 20001, 20002, 20003, and 20004. However, the pages do not say "SPINE NUMBER xxx". I'm guessing they will not have spine numbers at all.

EDIT, release dates:

The Third Man (Blu-Ray) - 11/18
Fanfan la Tulipe - 11/18
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - 11/18
Chungking Express - 11/25
Bottle Rocket - 11/25

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 15, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, so... lots to talk about here.

* Cover art for Blu-Rays appears identical to DVD versions. Will they be in the smaller cases? There has to be a way to distinguish them on the shelf.

I thought they were gunna go with that wacky "b" logo they had a few months back, but I guess not.

quote:

* Fanfan & Spy: as always, I rarely blind-buy, but most Criterions are guaranteed rentals for me.

I thought about renting Spy months back. It's been on dvd for awhile, decent transfer from what I hear. If you don't feel like waiting till November it's on netflix.

quote:

* The extras for the BRs of the previously released titles appear to be the same, but with less stuff in the booklets.

:(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I thought about renting Spy months back. It's been on dvd for awhile, decent transfer from what I hear. If you don't feel like waiting till November it's on netflix.

Spy is a good movie, but depressing as all get out from what I recall. Great acting, but it really sets up a sense of hopelessness and being lost in a stand-off conflict beyond everyone's control.

Fit Fort Danga posted:

However, the pages do not say "SPINE NUMBER xxx". I'm guessing they will not have spine numbers at all.

Oh no, spine numbers. I would miss them if they stopped. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Man Who Fell to Earth doesn't seem to come with the original novel like the old one did. I'll be picking up Chungking Express and The Last Emperor for sure, and I already have The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Third Man (sold the first edition, bought the reissue) but chances are I'll be buying these ones too :( I'm hoping they will pick up Fallen Angels as well, which I liked more than Chungking Express.