Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Remember that drives pull the most power at spinup, and I'm pretty sure a 3.5" hard drive will pull more than 8 watts at spinup.

Anyone happen to have a killawatt, an external sata drive cage, and several hard drives from varying brands and capacities that they could use to test this for me? Will buy platinum upgrade (or whatever else if you already have that) for someone who can do a thorough test. Email me through the forums if you are interested. Sorry but this is something I can do only once, not for 5 people as this is a hobby project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!

Remember that drives pull the most power at spinup, and I'm pretty sure a 3.5" hard drive will pull more than 8 watts at spinup.

How do you stagger the spin up of drives? Does this require a BIOS that supports staggered spin ups?

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."
hi guys,
i am building a file server in the next two months and i am pretty set on this:
Motherboard
- 6 sata-ports
- gigabit
- cheap as chips

with 2g RAM and a AMDX2 5600+

my question is for you ZFS/solaris wizards i have been confused by what raidz1 means
does it give redundancy if one of the drives fail (i.e. four drives = 750 x 3 + one redundant like raid 5) or more like raid 1 with mirroring.

also what is opensolaris like with on board graphics and the rest of the board in general, i tested opensolaris out on an older machine with a old nivida 7600GS and everything except the sound card worked fine (hell it even added my cannon printer on first boot :\ )

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
RAID-Z is equivalent to RAID-5, RAID-Z2 to RAID-6. The number just indicates how many parity stripes per row. Actually, no one says RAID-Z1.

As far as onboard goes, what chip? Xorg in it comes with drivers for all sort of Intel chips. It also comes with the opensource ATI driver, but I'm not sure if it's on the initial LiveCD or in one of the updates.

If you chose to pkg image-update to get the driver or just get the newest bits, be sure to head over to opensolaris.org and go to the Indiana forum, because there's some manual work required (scoll down to IMPORTANT in the OP) due to ZFS boot changes. Each pkg image-update creates a new boot environment, if the update doesn't please you, you can boot back to the pre-update boot environment and pretend you never updated.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

CheeseDog posted:

my question is for you ZFS/solaris wizards i have been confused by what raidz1 means
does it give redundancy if one of the drives fail (i.e. four drives = 750 x 3 + one redundant like raid 5) or more like raid 1 with mirroring.

The former. With 4 750GB drives you can expect ~ 2.25TB (3 x 750GB) of usable space.

CheeseDog posted:

also what is opensolaris like with on board graphics and the rest of the board in general, i tested opensolaris out on an older machine with a old nivida 7600GS and everything except the sound card worked fine (hell it even added my cannon printer on first boot :\ )

Don't know too much about OpenSolaris' support of the Radeon HD 2100. I'm sure it will at least support high resolution 2D, but 3D support may be a different story. I would Google to see if someone else has had success with it; try searching for different motherboards with the same graphics chipset.

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."
thank you Combat and complex!
I must note Combat Pretzel your open solaris set up from the earlier pages was very sweet.

i have been reading the july 08 edition of the administrator guide to ZFS and been testing on my macbook. Hopefully I will be able to stand on my own two feet when i get the parts for this thing.

thanks again!

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Oh god :psyduck:

Keep in mind that going with solaris puts you in the reject group when it comes to Application support from FOSS guys. I've just spent a good 6 hours getting a upnp media server to compile on nexenta.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

roflsaurus posted:

How do you stagger the spin up of drives? Does this require a BIOS that supports staggered spin ups?

This is generally a function you see on RAID cards. I think the hard drive also has to support it.

christrot
Jul 30, 2008
Is the raid controller in this thing good enough for RAID 10? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215068 It seems like RAID 10 with 4 1TB drives is cheaper than some NAS/DAS solution with 4 750gb in RAID 5 and offers only 250gb less space. Would it be a better idea to use two separate RAID 1 enclosures? That way it'd have two esata or firewire ports to saturate.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

This is generally a function you see on RAID cards. I think the hard drive also has to support it.

SATA drives have software controlled power built into the specification.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Has anyone here ever reduced the size of a raid-5 setup managed with mdadm?

I've got a box with 6x500gb in it that i want to shrink down to four drives. (I have another storage solution in place so this box does not need anywhere near this much capacity anymore.)

Searching the web I find references to the --grow command being able to reshape an array up or down, but no examples of anyone actually doing it.. And some results explicitly say that only raid-1 can be shrunk but I'm not sure how conclusive this is.

It's not the end of the world if I can't, but it would be nice to repurpose two of those drives for something else.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been running a 4x750GB drive software RAID 5 setup in Ubuntu 8.04 for a while, but yesterday something went terribly wrong, and I can no longer mount it. fsck.ext3 tells me that the superblock is bad, but I can't find a way to repair it. All the mdadm commands I try complain about it as well.

Is there anything I can do to repair the superblock, or get mdadm to repair the RAID somehow? Obviously, I'd rather not lose the data on it, if possible.

I figured someone would be able to help me out here, before I wade into the Ubuntu forums for support.

Diet Butcher
May 2, 2005
Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar.
Can anyone tell me if I can create a Software RAID 6 Array in Windows Server 2008, or is it limited to RAID 5?

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like the answer is no for anyone else who might be wondering.

Diet Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 11, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
edit: never mind. ZFS compression is really effective when you have a giant stream of 0s coming in...

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 13, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
Just thought I'd let people know that the Promise SmartStor NS4300N is on sale at Frys for $300. It is almost $400 everywhere else. Not a bad deal for 4 drive SATA 3.0 NAS with tons of options. My friend has two and highly recommended it.

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5351488

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Yeah I have a NS4300N (got it last time it was on sale at Fry's), and it is pretty decent. Promise has been pretty good with OS upgrades, and they have plugin modules to turn it into a DLNA, iTunes and Bittorrent server. The CPU in it is a little weak so you're not going to be able to saturate gigabit with it, but it'll do standard file serving and video streaming duty just fine.

My only complaint about mine is that when streaming a movie from it to my PS3, it occasionally drops out and aborts the movie playback, kicking me back to the PS3 menu. The device then disappears, but shows back up about 10 seconds later and I can start playing again. This could be specific to my unit or even my PS3, so YMMV.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Alowishus posted:

Yeah I have a NS4300N (got it last time it was on sale at Fry's), and it is pretty decent. Promise has been pretty good with OS upgrades, and they have plugin modules to turn it into a DLNA, iTunes and Bittorrent server. The CPU in it is a little weak so you're not going to be able to saturate gigabit with it, but it'll do standard file serving and video streaming duty just fine.

My only complaint about mine is that when streaming a movie from it to my PS3, it occasionally drops out and aborts the movie playback, kicking me back to the PS3 menu. The device then disappears, but shows back up about 10 seconds later and I can start playing again. This could be specific to my unit or even my PS3, so YMMV.
I advertised it but I actually just ordered one tonight. How is the bittorrent client? I'm using µTorrent on my main box right now but all I really need is the ability to occasionally throttle and keep lots of torrents open at a time (~150 would be nice, but 75 would be fine).

I'm hoping the streaming issue doesn't affect normal Windows video playback?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The OS hard drive (an old IDE Maxtor 120GB) in my home filebox just died on me today. I don't have any unused SATA ports, and I don't really want to buy another IDE drive.

I do have an open PCI-e x16 slot, an open PCI slot, and a spare 100GB 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive laying around. Is there some kind of magic part I can buy that would let me get this drive into the computer and use it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kalibar posted:

The OS hard drive (an old IDE Maxtor 120GB) in my home filebox just died on me today. I don't have any unused SATA ports, and I don't really want to buy another IDE drive.

I do have an open PCI-e x16 slot, an open PCI slot, and a spare 100GB 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive laying around. Is there some kind of magic part I can buy that would let me get this drive into the computer and use it?

While I haven't had to look at any laptop SATA drives in person yet (only have one SATA laptop and it's already got more than enough hard drive space :) ) I'm 99% sure the ports on it are identical to the ones on a 3.5" SATA drive. So, all you would need is an addon card with a SATA controller that is compatible with your system. If your motherboard alread has an external SATA chipset (i.e. some of the SATA ports are not directly on the southbridge) you may need to make sure your addon card uses the same chipset manufacturer.

You'll also need a 2.5-3.5 drive adapter to mount it up, assuming you don't want it flopping around in the case.

I ran into this a few years ago with my old AthlonXP based fileserver. The motherboard (A7N8X Deluxe or something, Asus NForce2 board) had a Silicon Image chipset and trying to use a Highpoint based controller meant I could only use one or the other. Using another SiI chip on a PCI card meant I could use both, though.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives use the exact same connection.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'll also need a 2.5-3.5 drive adapter to mount it up, assuming you don't want it flopping around in the case.

I got a 2"5 PATA drive flopping around in my server case, no problems yet.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I dropped the $130 on a DND 323. The thing is awesome and tiny. What I want to do is set everything up, update firmware and start moving data & all that good stuff.

I am using two 750 gb samsung spinpoints in this thing. The thing is I do not know what the best way to use the space I have would be. It gives me 4 options:

1) just use the two as separate disks

2) JBOD (I like the sound of this, is there a performance hit doing it this way? Also, if one drive fails, will I be able recover data on the other drive?

3) RAID 1 --- the safest way to store data, but how well is it implemented on this little sucker? If I don't go JBOD I'd like to go this route or use them as separate disks and just mirror important stuf with robocopy.

4) RAID 0-I don't see a point for this option here for a NAS. Does it really improve performance?

To be safe, I plan on doing monthly copies of everything to external disks, so I don't really need the advantage of RAID 1, although the extra level of protection would be nice. I am just concerned about how reliably I can recover the data later.

What would be the best way to use the disks up?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Standard disk mode is the best option according to the people at the dns forum. Their wiki is awesome as well.

Look into fun_plug and a debian chroot. I have my dns-323 running rtorrent 24/7 and it has been great.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I haven't had to look at any laptop SATA drives in person yet (only have one SATA laptop and it's already got more than enough hard drive space :) ) I'm 99% sure the ports on it are identical to the ones on a 3.5" SATA drive. So, all you would need is an addon card with a SATA controller that is compatible with your system. If your motherboard alread has an external SATA chipset (i.e. some of the SATA ports are not directly on the southbridge) you may need to make sure your addon card uses the same chipset manufacturer.
Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I started thinking about just this shortly after I posted. The trouble for me is that I'm already rolling on a pretty ghetto-fab setup: I cobbled this machine out of an old AMD64 processor on an old motherboard with only two SATA slots, so I added a PCI-e x1 Rosewill/Silicon Image card that gives me two extra SATA slots -- this setup connects four Samsung Spinpoint 750GB SATA drives for my data. Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I feel like adding yet another motherboard-slot to SATA converter to my system might be more of a headache than I want to give myself.

I wish this stupid motherboard had like, 8 SATA slots. I'd hate to have to pour a "bunch" of cash into a new board, CPU, and RAM for this machine -- kind of diminishes the "ghetto-cobbled-on-the-cheap-and-out-of-old-parts" effect.

I guess a replacement IDE drive is probably in my future.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

kalibar posted:

I wish this stupid motherboard had like, 8 SATA slots. I'd hate to have to pour a "bunch" of cash into a new board, CPU, and RAM for this machine -- kind of diminishes the "ghetto-cobbled-on-the-cheap-and-out-of-old-parts" effect.

Your situation is exactly the same as my own, except I don't even have PCI-E slots so i need to use PCI. If you find a good solution, post it :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kalibar posted:

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I feel like adding yet another motherboard-slot to SATA converter to my system might be more of a headache than I want to give myself.

Really, at least in my experience, if you can get the computer to POST with both of them enabled you're golden. The two on your board are probably provided with your northbridge so you shouldn't need to worry about them - in your case I would just go find the cheapest SATA card around with a Silicon Image chipset that fits whatever expansion slots your computer still has available. It should work, and even if it doesn't you're risking maybe $20 new?

cinnamon
Jan 30, 2006
snap son
Does anyone know exactly what Intel & AMD CPUs Solaris/OpenSolaris' power management supports? I'm trying to pick out a motherboard and CPU for a ZFS NAS, and I'm shooting for something that will do both ECC RAM and power scaling.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It supports C- and P-states on Intel, latter is frequency scaling. Activating it seems a mystery though. PowerTOP once suggested it, I've enabled it and it worked. But only for that session. Not sure how it works manually and PowerTOP never suggested it again.

Then again, my Core 2 Quad only had C0 (running) and C1 (simple halt), as well only two P-states, i.e. 2.67 GHz (full speed) and 2.0 GHz. Whether that's coming from the CPU or Solaris' power management support, I don't know. But I think it'd be safer to go Intel, since they've Intel developers contributing code for power management and scheduler stuff.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Combat Pretzel you seem to know a lot about solaris - any link with the development or just a clever chap?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hanging around on the OpenSolaris mailing lists a lot. --ninja edit: Where a lot of their developers also post.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

kalibar posted:

One option is to get a SATA to IDE adapter. This is the most simple solution as it avoids any controller issues, but it isn't as cost effective as getting a SATA controller. You may also need rails to attach it to 3.5" bay.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Well I ditched the naslite software. It really was a pile of poo poo. I got a trial copy of windows home server and will be giving that a go. At least I can test this software out before I buy it.

Insane2986
Jul 21, 2002
Will RAID 5/6 "wake up" my drives if they are inactive? (I have Vista set to turn drives off after 10 minutes of inactivity to cut down on heat)

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
Anyone know if the DNS-321 is as hackable as the 323? Everything I read says they're almost identical (the 321 can't do print serving and bittorrent), but I'd love to hear if anyone here has the 321...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey guys, I just moved into an apartment with my friend. I was thinking about getting a 500GB Western Digital My Book World so both of our laptops, my PC and our two Xbox 360s can access all our music files from one central location. It's on Newegg for $129.99 -- is there anything better than this product for a similar price?

EDIT: My friend's laptop and my PC are running Vista Home Premium and my Eee PC is running XP Home.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Insane2986 posted:

Will RAID 5/6 "wake up" my drives if they are inactive? (I have Vista set to turn drives off after 10 minutes of inactivity to cut down on heat)
What do you mean by that?

If you're hoping that the parity drives would spin down if there's no write activity, you'll be out of luck. Parity is spread across drives. The parity stripe resides on a different drive each row. For that matter, access time updates happen on reads too, creating writes.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean by that?

If you're hoping that the parity drives would spin down if there's no write activity, you'll be out of luck. Parity is spread across drives. The parity stripe resides on a different drive each row. For that matter, access time updates happen on reads too, creating writes.

I think he's asking if it will spin down the drives if he goes on vacation for a week and doesn't use the NAS. Mounting with noatime solves the second issue.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

So it's looking like the whole board inside my box is dead -- the hard drive may actually be fine.

I'm looking for a new board/CPU/RAM setup, I guess. Basically I'm looking for a board with 6+ SATA slots and a processor that uses the smallest amount of power possible. I'm thinking that this crappy Celeron for $39.99 is where I want to be processor-wise, but I could use some help on the board. I guess I probably don't want to skimp too much, but seriously. This thing serves files, runs uTorrent, runs SAB -- that's it.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
I recently got a 2p ST Lab SiL3512 S-Ata controller card, on it is a WD 1TB drive.

The computer will not boot while the drive is connected, but if I connect it after windows is fully loaded it locks up, detects the drive, locks up again, loads it and initializes it.

I've got a computer with a 250GB drive that's failing, I've also got another 2p ST Lab SiL3512 S-Ata controller I can put in that computer. Can I then insert a second 250GB drive and buiild a RAID1 set without losing the data on the original drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chaos Pope
Jul 9, 2001

Fine. By the Pork Chop ingested by me, I pronounce you husband and other husband.
Your BIOS is probably defaulting to boot from the WD drive attached to the controller card. Hook up both drives and go into your BIOS and change your boot order.