Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Maybe it's just me but I think Big D is a pretty lovely band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

They're pretty hit or miss a lot of the time but I still enjoy them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Going to empty quote this because it is pretty accurate.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

hedgecore posted:

Ah... yeah I'm buddies with Coleman. Haven't seen him in months though since we went bowling during the BTMI!/OPioneers!!! tour. Tell him sneve says hey if you run into him. And that he sucks.

As in snevesneve? What is on that website, seriously.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Can I just ask - is there an American band called Beat? I only ask as you guys keep referring to "English Beat", whereas I've always just known them as "The Beat".

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FateoMcSkippy posted:

There's a couple of really good Big D songs, the rest are pretty crap.

Chipyy posted:

Can I just ask - is there an American band called Beat? I only ask as you guys keep referring to "English Beat", whereas I've always just known them as "The Beat".
I believe the band changed names during their career.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well if they did, they changed it back again. We did a gig with them in Camden a couple of years back, and I saw them play at a festival last year, and they were listed as The Beat both times.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
In their wiki it says something about them calling themselves The English Beat in America as not to be confused with a band called Beat. Or maybe I'm full of poo poo.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

mix.lunar posted:

In their wiki it says something about them calling themselves The English Beat in America as not to be confused with a band called Beat. Or maybe I'm full of poo poo.
I've heard that story a thousand times, and there was an American band called The Beat around at the same time, so it would make sense that the English band would change it over here. These days, the (American) Beat goes by a different name, so I guess the (English) Beat figured they could just start going by The Beat, since there are probably more people these days who remember them anyways.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Have you heard Strictly Rude yet?

I used to have this same idea but Joe Gittleman from the BossToneS was the one who produced this record and did a fantastic job.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.

WaffleZombie posted:

That guy is hilarious, I think he's up in the North Jersey area. I've seen him at several shows both in Philly and up in Sayresville, and it's always good for a laugh.

he was at this years Hometown Throwdown in Boston.

if I ever had a Ska band I would name it

go richard go

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

xdirtypinkox posted:

Have you heard Strictly Rude yet?

I used to have this same idea but Joe Gittleman from the BossToneS was the one who produced this record and did a fantastic job.

Yeah and I've seen Big D live opening for DKM back in March and I thought they were pretty bad then. Everybody Out, who played before Big D, was so much better than them.

edit: Gave Shining On a listen and didn't like it. Guess they just aren't my thing.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Yeah and I've seen Big D live opening for DKM back in March and I thought they were pretty bad then. Everybody Out, who played before Big D, was so much better than them.

edit: Gave Shining On a listen and didn't like it. Guess they just aren't my thing.

Shining On is literally the only song I like of theirs. I thought they were horrible live.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

mix.lunar posted:

Why on earth do I never think to look in wikipedia for these things?

Wiki posted:

The Beat had a sizeable following in North America, where the band was known as The English Beat for legal reasons (to avoid confusion with the American band The Beat).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Chipyy posted:

Why on earth do I never think to look in wikipedia for these things?

Yeah, they'll always be The English Beat to me. Although some record stores list them as "The (English) Beat."

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

What ever happened to Monty Are I?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

So much Big D hate. I wouldn't call them my favorite band but I do enjoy a few of their songs. My favorite album of theirs is probably The Gipsy Hill EP.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah, Checklist and Apologies are pretty rockin' imo.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Big D were doing great for a while. Shot by Lammi was pretty good, Good luck was killer, Gypsy Hill was still good even though some of the songs were a little boring, and Good Luck was 2/3 of a really good record but they decided to make it ultra long and leave in stuff that should have been cut. Then they started playing dub. I don't know how many of you own the Salem Girls EP but it is ridiculously bad. When that came out they started playing dub live and stupid Dave would be playing his stupid rear end melodica at every show. This is where Big D really went downhill.

They then announce that their next 3 albums are going to be a ska album, a punk album, and a dub album? What the hell? I don't know if their success went to their heads or Dave finally started making the decisions or what but goddamn is that a horrible idea. So they release a split with Brain Failure where Brain Failure's side is 10 times better than Big Ds. They had 1.5 good songs on it, which were Digging In Your Nails (which is still kinda annoying due to Dave's voice) and I'm Yours Boston which is a good song with really annoying singing/lyrics. At this point they've consecutively released a bad EP and a pretty bad half of a split. This is when Strictly Rude comes out.

At first when Strictly Rude came out I thought it was horrible except for Noise Complaint and Fly Away. Even Noise Complaint isn't that great because of how repetitive the lyrics are and how they totally hosed up the gang vocals and everybody sounds bored, but I still like it. As I've listened to it I realize it isn't a horrible record, but it is a horrible Big D record. It doesn't sound anything like the good Big D from back in the day. At best it's a mediocre record but they say this is their all ska record and they put just an absolutely horrid acoustic-to-punk song on it "let the drat cows moo...." and don't even have that much ska on it to call it strictly rude and good god I loving hate what Big D has become they used to be so good. Sorry that was so long, I needed to vent.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

Big D were doing great for a while. Shot by Lammi was pretty good, Good luck was killer, Gypsy Hill was still good even though some of the songs were a little boring, and Good Luck was 2/3 of a really good record but they decided to make it ultra long and leave in stuff that should have been cut. Then they started playing dub. I don't know how many of you own the Salem Girls EP but it is ridiculously bad. When that came out they started playing dub live and stupid Dave would be playing his stupid rear end melodica at every show. This is where Big D really went downhill.

They then announce that their next 3 albums are going to be a ska album, a punk album, and a dub album? What the hell? I don't know if their success went to their heads or Dave finally started making the decisions or what but goddamn is that a horrible idea. So they release a split with Brain Failure where Brain Failure's side is 10 times better than Big Ds. They had 1.5 good songs on it, which were Digging In Your Nails (which is still kinda annoying due to Dave's voice) and I'm Yours Boston which is a good song with really annoying singing/lyrics. At this point they've consecutively released a bad EP and a pretty bad half of a split. This is when Strictly Rude comes out.

At first when Strictly Rude came out I thought it was horrible except for Noise Complaint and Fly Away. Even Noise Complaint isn't that great because of how repetitive the lyrics are and how they totally hosed up the gang vocals and everybody sounds bored, but I still like it. As I've listened to it I realize it isn't a horrible record, but it is a horrible Big D record. It doesn't sound anything like the good Big D from back in the day. At best it's a mediocre record but they say this is their all ska record and they put just an absolutely horrid acoustic-to-punk song on it "let the drat cows moo...." and don't even have that much ska on it to call it strictly rude and good god I loving hate what Big D has become they used to be so good. Sorry that was so long, I needed to vent.
The only Big D album worth a drat is Porch Life. :colbert:

Seriously though I'm looking at http://www.myspace.com/djbcvsbigdandthekid39stable - is this the dub album? It sounds pretty cool, if you ask me.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

When I had to see them open for the Murphys, the only song I enjoyed of theirs was their dub song. Also, they butchered Little Bitch which made me very angry.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I like their version of "Little Bitch" :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How It Goes is their best album and I don't know why people keep passing it over. The production is better than Strictly Rude too -- you can actually hear what the horns are playing. It's basically a better album than Strictly Rude in almost every way. Its one issue is chronological order; I enjoyed it more because I bought one song at a time until I eventually bought the whole album. I burn the album with a different order of songs than what is on the actual album, when I listen to it on the road.

I dont even know why they bothered splitting "Strictly Rude" and "Strictly Thrash" because if they had put tracks from both albums into one singular album, it would have been much stronger. Just remove 'Deadpan Face', 'Relocate the Beat', and 'She Knows Her Way' because those songs loving suck. What made them think splitting up their styles into separate albums was a good idea?

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Agreeing with both Little Bitch being great and How It Goes being their best album. They were pretty good live as well.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've always enjoyed Big D in various forms. Mainly because they somehow got sucked into coming to play at my college (a very small liberal arts school, not known for amazing taste in music) during my sophomore year--about four years ago--along with three other bands. Big D went on second to last, and by their set there was only about 15 people left (the BBQ food had run out by that point). They still put on a good show considering they were playing on a small plywood stage in the middle of a soccer field. They sure seemed surprised when I asked them to play "In Front of Me," evidenced by the fact they needed some time to remember how to play it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've long felt that if you took the good songs from every Big D record and put them all together, you'd have one really good ska album.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Yeah, pretty much.

Big D has a lot of mediocre songs, but their good ones are pretty drat good.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
To stray from the current conversation... Every time "Desperate" by Suburban Legends comes on Pandora, I think it's Reel Big Fish. Am I retarded or do they really sound that similar?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

To stray from the current conversation... Every time "Desperate" by Suburban Legends comes on Pandora, I think it's Reel Big Fish. Am I retarded or do they really sound that similar?
They did sound extremely similar to them in the beginning. I think they're like a pop band now. They're not really anything like they used to be anymore.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

I've always enjoyed Big D in various forms. Mainly because they somehow got sucked into coming to play at my college (a very small liberal arts school, not known for amazing taste in music) during my sophomore year--about four years ago--along with three other bands. Big D went on second to last, and by their set there was only about 15 people left (the BBQ food had run out by that point). They still put on a good show considering they were playing on a small plywood stage in the middle of a soccer field. They sure seemed surprised when I asked them to play "In Front of Me," evidenced by the fact they needed some time to remember how to play it.
I saw them in some tiny lovely venue in London about 3/4 years ago. It was a Tuesday night so the place was less than half full, but they were on their game and were awesome from start to finish.

Never picked up one of their albums, but they put on a great show at this place regardless and I kind of like them purely for that gig.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just bought the Bosstones' Devil's Night Out as MP3s from Napster. How long is "Howwhywuz, Howwhyam" supposed to be? It sounds like it cuts off very abruptly. My file is 02:33.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My version is only 1:06 and fades out toward the end. :( Dammit I guess I hosed up when ripping it from the cd many years ago. I looked on the itunes store and their version is also 2:33. The live version is only 2:26, so I don't think it's missing anything.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FateoMcSkippy posted:

My version is only 1:06 and fades out toward the end. :( Dammit I guess I hosed up when ripping it from the cd many years ago. I looked on the itunes store and their version is also 2:33. The live version is only 2:26, so I don't think it's missing anything.

What the hell, mine is only 1:06 too.

I actually ripped this album myself too way way back in the day.

I just went and got a better copy and it's 2:33 and it's the complete song.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cool, thanks a lot.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

mix.lunar posted:

I like their version of "Little Bitch" :(

For my money it doesn't get any better than LAX and Those Kids Suck. Big D has always put on an amazing live shows but I can see how his voice would bother some people though.

guppy posted:

I just bought the Bosstones' Devil's Night Out as MP3s from Napster. How long is "Howwhywuz, Howwhyam" supposed to be? It sounds like it cuts off very abruptly. My file is 02:33.

That's right my copy is 2:33. By the way The Mighty Mighty BossToneS are the greatest loving band in the world seriously. If you want to hear a better version there is a hidden track at the end of Ska-Core the Devil and More of them playing the song live.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
So, what do you get when you mix a classic Shmorky cartoon with the sound of my favorite local band, The Homecoming Queens? I decided to give it a shot and find out.

Safety Seth's New Magic Show

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DHCJohn posted:

So, what do you get when you mix a classic Shmorky cartoon with the sound of my favorite local band, The Homecoming Queens? I decided to give it a shot and find out.

Safety Seth's New Magic Show
Do you know if there's anywhere I can buy their album (as MP3s, not a CD)? I'm a Zune user, not an iPod user, and Amazon MP3, Napster and Lala don't have it.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

guppy posted:

Do you know if there's anywhere I can buy their album (as MP3s, not a CD)? I'm a Zune user, not an iPod user, and Amazon MP3, Napster and Lala don't have it.

Unfortunately, the only way to get their CDs is by coming out to one of their shows... In New York.

gently caress me, I'm retarded. I checked the Myspace, and there are two options.

1. You can buy the album off of Interpunk, but at the moment, it's out of stock. I'd recommend signing up the notification on that, or...

2. You can buy the album off of iTunes, and use some audio conversion program to convert it to .mp3. Sort of a roundabout way of doing things, but there's nothing else I can do short of putting the album up online myself. And I really, really don't feel like doing that; The band has gone through so much poo poo to get the album together, and I've been there to testify for them.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 27, 2008

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
It has been a while since I've posted here.

Worth mentioning that I'm going to Streetlight's Starland Ballroom (re: New Jersey) show in October, and am considering Skanksgiving depending on my schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A friend and I are hoping to go see Streetlight play in Buffalo in October
For sure I'm going to go see the Toasters in November. They're playing at a terrible local venue, and I couldn't be more excited
EDIT Will I get bitched at for plugging my friends' band?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 30, 2008