Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Crustashio posted:

I don't know how it works in winnipeg, but out in nova scotia anything that old is worth 1000 if it has a new inspection, and about nothing more unless it's something special.

Yeah it's the same thing here, if it's saftied it's worth at least a grand. But this is 10 grand, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

stump posted:

I guess to a complete fucktard a wheelnut might look a bit like a ring? Or perhaps he just means tyres. As in you have alloy tyres (yes I have heard somebody say that :psyduck: ) with the black ring round them.

Or, it's just a trim ring.

http://images.google.com/images?q=wheel+trim+ring&btnG=Search+Images

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

On a '96 Bonneville? :psyduck:

rhaebuster
Jun 3, 2007
Nothing can happen till you swing the bat.
Some scams are really easy to spot. These cars must not even run for these prices:

2003 Camry LE $3000
http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/789926015.html

2007 Camry SE $4300
http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/803785902.html

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Long ago, I was thinking of replacing my Muncie four speed with a Chrysler. This was once a common swap, and I had a Trans Dapt Chrysler to Chevrolet pattern adapter. I bought a Chrysler four speed at a swap meet, then I dropped the idea, and bought a Tremec five speed instead.

I cleaning up around here, so after letting it collect dust for ten years, I put it on Craigslist.

My ad:
Chrysler four speed - $100
Chrysler four speed transmission. Looks to be in good condition. I believe it is a wide ratio, about a three to one first gear.

One of the emails I received:

quote:

hi i was woundering if you know what it came out of and i can't really tell from your ad if its an automatic or manuel trans if you could get back to me when you can that well be graet thank you

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Repo Man posted:

Long ago, I was thinking of replacing my Muncie four speed with a Chrysler. This was once a common swap, and I had a Trans Dapt Chrysler to Chevrolet pattern adapter. I bought a Chrysler four speed at a swap meet, then I dropped the idea, and bought a Tremec five speed instead.

I cleaning up around here, so after letting it collect dust for ten years, I put it on Craigslist.

My ad:
Chrysler four speed - $100
Chrysler four speed transmission. Looks to be in good condition. I believe it is a wide ratio, about a three to one first gear.

One of the emails I received:

I don't get this? Your ad didn't describe poo poo and that's why you got people asking you basic questions.

I prefer the insane trade offers when I list on CL.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Blooot posted:

I don't get this? Your ad didn't describe poo poo and that's why you got people asking you basic questions.

I prefer the insane trade offers when I list on CL.

Would you really be confused if a "Chrysler four speed" were a manual or an automatic? Really? You'd be woundering about that? Well, that's graet. I'm left woundering what happened to that guy's shift key.

I had two replies asking for pics, I sent them, the first one bought it.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Repo Man posted:

Would you really be confused if a "Chrysler four speed" were a manual or an automatic? Really? You'd be woundering about that? Well, that's graet. I'm left woundering what happened to that guy's shift key.

Spelling lol

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Repo Man posted:

Hint: you posted on Craigslist, therefore you should automatically word your ad to cater to the absolute lowest form of human life that is able to work a computer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Repo Man posted:

Yes I would, since there are Chrysler four speed manual and auto transmissions

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Repo Man posted:

Would you really be confused if a "Chrysler four speed" were a manual or an automatic?

Is it common knowledge that Chrysler four speed refers to a specific manual tranny or automatic transmission model? From reading this entire exchange, I'm still not 100% sure that it's a manual, especially since I'm not sure if the Tremec upgrade is a manual.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

BAN ME PLEASE posted:

Hint: you posted on Craigslist, therefore you should automatically word your ad to cater to the absolute lowest form of human life that is able to work a computer.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. In this case, it worked out fine. Two serious replies, one that amused me, and $100.00 in my pocket. I guess I'll have to relist my four bolt main 350 short block; even for thirty dollars, not one inquiry.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Is it common knowledge that Chrysler four speed refers to a specific manual tranny or automatic transmission model? From reading this entire exchange, I'm still not 100% sure that it's a manual, especially since I'm not sure if the Tremec upgrade is a manual.

Christ, I guess I'm getting old. Since I was a kid, a Chrysler four speed meant a four speed manual transmission. Period. Will I have to specify my Muncie is a manual when I put an ad up for it (don't answer that)?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
This is great:

quote:

Honda Civic EX - Looks like Skyline GT-R ... $ 6999

Modifications

EXTERIOR --

Silvia S14 Headlight Conversion
Skyline R34 Tailight Conversion
Custom Wide Body
Pure white w/ blue pearl
Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood
R33 Front Bumper
Buddy Club Side Skirts
Modified Black Widow Rear Bumper
Shaved Side Moldings
Shaved Antenna
Shaved Key Hole

ENGINE --

NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs
2.5" Straight Pipe
Greddy Evo Catback Exhaust System
Skunk2 Short Shifter
Energy Suspension
Polyurethane Shifter Bushings

There are some areas where the fiberglass is cracked, but it can be easily fixed. There is also a dent in the driver’s door.

Gets 35 + miles to the gallon - A Great Gas Saver.

Please email me or call me with any questions. Thanks.

PETER 320.255.0644 yes it is 320.255.0644
2000 Honda---- Looks like Skyline GT-R - $2

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The front actually looks pretty good. The rear, though...proves that the front is just a fluke.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VideoTapir posted:

The front actually looks pretty good. The rear, though...proves that the front is just a fluke.

Yeah, aside from the mismatched hood the front looks pretty believable. That back end is an abomination, though.

I've always wondered-what's the point of those stupid "make my car look more expensive" conversions? I mean, if someone is taking enough interest in your car, eventually they're going to find out it's a fluke anyway...

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
that honda is nothing compared to this abomination (it was appraised for 53,000 guys honest)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...92&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A10|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dundun posted:

that honda is nothing compared to this abomination (it was appraised for 53,000 guys honest)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...92&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A10|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

holy crap, every previous complaint about wheel gap? Invalid:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I really have to wonder about how these projects get started. I mean, a lot of the shittiness (the interior) could come about through corners being cut here or there, little bad decisions. But STARTING the project...they have to have seen the body they were building the car around before they began, right? And it NEVER clicked that the proportions were all wrong?

At least a Fiero-based abomination has the excuse of having to conform to the proportions of the Fiero. This dipshit actually built the frame for it. He had no such limitations.

:argh: HUMANITY!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

VideoTapir posted:

This dipshit actually built the frame for it. He had no such limitations.

:argh: HUMANITY!

But the dipshit needed to build the frame to fit the fiero spec bodykit parts obviously. Good jesus it's ugly.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I dunno, looking at that interior I have a hard time believing that is NOT a Fiero. And what is up with the Oldsmobile engine??

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I dunno, looking at that interior I have a hard time believing that is NOT a Fiero. And what is up with the Oldsmobile engine??

I completely agree that it's much easier to cut flat panels, and fit them together at right angles, but goddamn does that interior look horrible. There's not a single curve in it anywhere. Ugh.

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
May 7, 2008

What I really love about those Fiero replicas is that they almost always have automatic transmissions. When I was looking at kit cars a couple years ago, I ran across a Fiero F40 replica, and it was all very well done, and would fool anyone who knew nothing about a car, except the fact that it was a drat automatic. Of the four different transmissions available on Fieros throughout the car's run, 3 were manual. You would think if someone spent a good amount on making the car into an F40 replica, they'd drop a cheap $3k for a new stickshift... :argh:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Like new, huh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Boat posted:

I completely agree that it's much easier to cut flat panels, and fit them together at right angles, but goddamn does that interior look horrible. There's not a single curve in it anywhere. Ugh.

In all fairness, its not much worse than many supercar interiors. See f40

A quarter of a million bucks and the Italians can be arsed to line up the fuse panel.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 21, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

why are the fuses there?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

kimbo305 posted:

why are the fuses there?

So when they blow they can be blasted into the face of the passenger, to help them remember the experience.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Like anyone could comfortably sit there anyway. Besides its cool there's a fire extinguisher right there.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Tai-Pan posted:

In all fairness, its not much worse than many supercar interiors. See f40

A quarter of a million bucks and the Italians can be arsed to line up the fuse panel.

The difference is the F-40 is super lightweight and can go over 200 mph. The Countiero probably can't hit 60 without a downhill slope.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

TOOT TOOT!

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/807042939.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's been a few pages since someone said this - can we get back into the habit of including a screenshot of the ads?

I just caught up 12 or so older pages on this thread, and a good portion of the ads were gone by the time I checked them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Houston Rockets posted:

TOOT TOOT!

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/807042939.html

quote:

I can take you for a ride and scare people to show you the fun
You know, I am aware that's an incredibly rear end-holish thing to do, but be damned if I'm not grinning just thinking about it. :haw:

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Hmmm, $5,800 for a mint '69 Camaro? Why, that seems perfectly legitimate!

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/807262640.html

Repo Man fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 22, 2008

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/806738060.html

quote:

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - $6000 (Orlando)
Reply to: sale-806738060@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-08-21, 3:19PM EDT

Brand new with only 800m. $6000 cash price or you can take over payments.
contact me at 407-461-4755.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

This poor sucker got himself $6000 in debt buying a new Ninja 250.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

slidebite posted:

You know, I am aware that's an incredibly rear end-holish thing to do, but be damned if I'm not grinning just thinking about it. :haw:

It's as good as you imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgcvs6kIw8&feature=related

blambert fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 22, 2008

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

MrKatharsis posted:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/806738060.html

This poor sucker got himself $6000 in debt buying a new Ninja 250.

How is that possible, aren't these like $3000 brand new?

http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/Detail.aspx?id=263

I was close, $3499 msrp, how can anyone think they'd get nearly double MSRP for a used bike? That is truly automotive insanity right there. Makes me want to call him and just hear his insanity in person. "Yeah I'm calling about the bike..." and just sit back and let the stupid flow over me like a cold mountain stream.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Grimster posted:

I was close, $3499 msrp, how can anyone think they'd get nearly double MSRP for a used bike? That is truly automotive insanity right there. Makes me want to call him and just hear his insanity in person. "Yeah I'm calling about the bike..." and just sit back and let the stupid flow over me like a cold mountain stream.

I think I've read here (ai) that they cant make them fast enough to sell new ones, popularity has pushed used price over new prices.

The same thing happened with the Prius, and tercel.

Heck, some folks seem happy to buy 20 year old geo metros for more than they cost when they were new!

If someone has to wait 6 months to get a new one, he may likely sell that bike for more than he payed for it (I dont know about $6k...)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The description for this thing is all well and good until you get to the pics.

2001 Daewoo Leganza with extras!!!

quote:

I have for sale a 2001 Daewoo Leganza. with an aftermarket air intake, muffler, exhaust and a Sony sound system with detachable faceplate. The car has under 60,000 miles, which pretty much unheard for its age, and the tires were replaced just last year. The engine has been maintained and runs strong, but the body has some paint issues as well as a few dents. There are a few cosmetic issues that could be addressed, but they are all relatively inexpensive, and the running condition of this vehicle is very strong. I have been getting around 26 mpg, and I drive mostly city. The car is automatic, 4-cyl, a/c, power windows/locks/mirrors, and the brakes were changed this year. This car is fit to be an everyday driver, and will save you money at the pump. Please call at 602 200 4209.

Thank you for looking,
Jordan

The images?

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

Grimster posted:

Because the new 250R is so hard to get that people are willing to pay that much for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The images?

I think I found the "paint issues"