Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Constantine is rather of the opinion that magic is a horrible joke, and tends to go out of his way to not accumulate more power. His shtick is more of a "so long as I have at least one friend left, I'M UNSTOPPABLE!"

Actually, that does sort of follow. Hellblazer magic tends to follow the rule of power coming with sacrifice. Usually at a hefty loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I wonder if we're about to see V's prophecy come true - saying "the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons"? That devil certainly looks capable of conferring "ultimate arcane power", especially given the different possible meanings of 'ultimate'.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cthulhuchan posted:

His shtick is more of a "so long as I have at least one friend left, I'M UNSTOPPABLE!"

Not so much, anymore. The only 'friend' he has right now is Ellie the succubus. He's been traveling solo after killing his guilt in Ravenscar, and doing his part to prevent dragging more people into his life.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New strip. I'd mirror it but waffleimages isn't working for me at the moment.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Sefer posted:

New strip. I'd mirror it but waffleimages isn't working for me at the moment.

Whelp, back to talking instead of plot advancement.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I can't imagine, no matter how hard I try, that anyone cared how the imp managed to summon the great big demon -- wouldn't we all have been perfectly fine going along with "putting the odds at a million to one guarantees it happening", given the setting? And I also can't see why the gently caress "Varsuvius tries to banish demon, it fails" needed more than two panels. That was just bad in so many ways.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't know, I got a laugh out of "the spell is more powerful if I present something the target opposes, so I present my common sense". I guess it was worth a try!

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

CapnAndy posted:

And I also can't see why the gently caress "Varsuvius tries to banish demon, it fails" needed more than two panels. That was just bad in so many ways.

Because it's a humor comic, not a plot comic, and the writer came up with a joke.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

CapnAndy posted:

I can't imagine, no matter how hard I try, that anyone cared how the imp managed to summon the great big demon -- wouldn't we all have been perfectly fine going along with "putting the odds at a million to one guarantees it happening", given the setting?

I'm honestly think it could have been a little stronger without this part. I get a little tired sometimes of the villains mostly being :downswords:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was funny to me because as my party's cleric in a high level Planescape campaign recently, I always had banish memorized and tried to carry around tons of poo poo various targets would oppose.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

Because it's a humor comic, not a plot comic, and the writer came up with a joke.

No kidding. OotS is about the ride, not where it's going or how fast.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

terminal mehmet posted:

or how fast.

Man, tell me about it :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New strip is up.

Man, Elan really should have seen that coming. Where's your Bard powers of plot progression, man?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Gyges posted:

Man, Elan really should have seen that coming. Where's your Bard powers of plot progression, man?

I count at least 8 Ninja. By application of the Inverse Ninja Rule, they shouldn't need Elan's help. The ninja should be about as formidable as elementary school students.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Anyone else love the sound effect "Nuts!" as much as I do? If only it were onomatopoeia.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kramer posted:

I count at least 8 Ninja.
And that's only the ones we managed to Spot.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Kramer posted:

I count at least 8 Ninja. By application of the Inverse Ninja Rule, they shouldn't need Elan's help. The ninja should be about as formidable as elementary school students.

Given that Elan is going to go deal with the ninjas, I now fully expect this exact joke to be made in the next strip. Thanks a lot, you've completely ruined OotS.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Spazmo posted:

Given that Elan is going to go deal with the ninjas, I now fully expect this exact joke to be made in the next strip. Thanks a lot, you've completely ruined OotS.

He's already done (or at least referenced) the Inverse Ninja Rule.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Werle posted:

Anyone else love the sound effect "Nuts!" as much as I do? If only it were onomatopoeia.

I thought the same thing.

Happy-Go-Lilac
Dec 19, 2007

Happy to be here.
So, anyone else think that the 'Priest' of Loki will be the Female Dwarf Durkon shacked up with early in the comic?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Oh crap, she was a priestess of Loki, wasn't she? Doesn't this practically guarantee she'll show up, then?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah sure but she was a priestess not a priest and on the same level as Durkon. (14 back then?) She shouldn't be able to cast ressurection. BUT she'll most likely show up and convince the higher level priest of loki to help them out.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Lilac Kimono posted:

So, anyone else think that the 'Priest' of Loki will be the Female Dwarf Durkon shacked up with early in the comic?

Could be, but I doubt it. Greysky is an evil city, and it's populated by northeners. That pretty much necessitates an evil Norse god. There really aren't that many choices for evil norse gods.

Besides, Pete says the priest is a childhood friend, and the evil priest Durkon slept with talked about running away from the dwarven city she grew up in. I suppose given the lifespan of dwarves, she could have run away from home 60+ years ago and also be Pete's childhood friend, but that seems overly complicated.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Kramer posted:

but that seems overly complicated.

So you're saying it's guaranteed? Got it.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
So Rich Burlew is turning into Dan Abnett, then. "Here's a new character with a happy life. They'll miraculously escape certain death a few times so that you think they've got plot armor. But don't worry, they'll die horribly next time I need a cheap emotional hit."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They aren't dead yet, man.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Burlew will kill unnamed characters at the drop of a hat or if it's funny, but named characters' deaths tend to be a really big deal. As a matter of fact, Roy, Shojo, and Miko are the only characters I can think offhand who he's killed, and in each case, he built up to it for a while and infused it with certain amounts of pathos and import.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

Wanderer posted:

They aren't dead yet, man.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Burlew will kill unnamed characters at the drop of a hat or if it's funny, but named characters' deaths tend to be a really big deal.
True, but the named cast (of good guys) has grown a bit since then. There's some room for attrition, and I kind of expect it at this point.

I'm just hoping that they get a serious end, not some goofy Monty Python poo poo like "hooray we're saved, wait hold on it's only the next-to-last panel" (next panel: demon foot stepping on boat)

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Good heavens! A new comic!

And what is this? Some sort of rehosting doohickey malarkey?

Click here for the full 699x933 image.

Well how bizarre!

Edit: Oh, and it's pretty good too!

Amused Frog fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 23, 2008

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
That rates among the best combat banter I've seen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I loving laughed out loud at that final panal.

"I can just make more in my TUMMY!"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
"I just hope I don't miss all the kicking while" Gets kicked in the face.

I couldn't stop laughing at that :)

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
I will admit this is one of my favorite comics in awhile.

Edit:
To add content, I guess what I like about it is that he's made an interesting mix of "Experienced Army Soldier" and "Irrational Pregnant Woman". She's quite a delightful monster, though I think for story reasons she's not going to be winning for too long.

shadysight fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 23, 2008

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I do believe Burlew is getting his stride back.

I'm a goddamn baby-making, life-taking MACHINE! is totally going on a T-shirt. I'm calling it right now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Donraj posted:

I'm a goddamn baby-making, life-taking MACHINE! is totally going on a T-shirt. I'm calling it right now.

You know, I really don't think you need to spoiler a line from a comic which was posted, in it's entirely, five posts above you!

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

I don't think my copy of D&D lists a penalty for fighting while pregnant.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ZorbaTHut posted:

Try the book of erotic fantasy :smith:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ZorbaTHut posted:

I think it counts as encumbered.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

seaborgium posted:

I think it counts as encumbered.

Stop repressing the unborn!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Donraj posted:

I'm just curious if he's going to make it to be a women's fit only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

MikeJF posted:

I'm just curious if he's going to make it to be a women's fit only.
I'm sure there are plenty of female fans on whom a Men's XXXL fits just fine. :cry: