Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Rushmore is going out of print:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8868536&postcount=52
Just to follow up on this, apparently someone at another forum emailed Jon Mulvaney with Criterion to confirm this. His alleged response was:

quote:

As far as I know, "Rushmore" is not going out of print, and we actually have plenty of copies in stock and ready to purchase at our online store, here: http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=65 I hope this helps, and please feel free to write in again if you have any other questions!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney
For what it's worth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Jack Does Jihad posted:

There's no reason why the Rebel Samurai set should not have been Eclipse. I wish they'd hurry up and put out a samurai Eclipse set - I'd really like to see it.

And sometimes I think I'm the only person who liked Samurai Spy.

I liked the look of Samurai Spy, I just didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

Personally, I'm hoping and waiting for a Eclipse set of Hideo Gosha's Dark Samurai films. Three Outlaw Samurai, Tenchu, Samurai Wolf 1 and 2. Gimme!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Horseface posted:

Probably the weakest Criterion I've watched was My Life as a Dog. It's not terrible or anything, it's just a completely by-the-numbers depressing european film about childhood. There's nothing it does that Bergman and several others have done much better.

I agree totally. That movie plays like "Arty European Films 101."

Also, I wrote a paper on The 400 Blows and so saw it like a billion times. It got exponentially better every time I watched it, and the more research I did into it. Some of the jokes or little joys in it are incredibly obtuse, but I wouldn't put it past Truffaut to put them in there just for a film scholar. For example, that scene where the kids are jogging though Paris in gym class and run away one by one is an homage to a movie called "Zéro de conduite." The joke is that this scenes comes directly after Doinel is chewed out for plagiarizing Balzac. It's stuff like that that makes the movie awesome.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Is anyone interested in Selling their Criterions? I am looking for Rushmore, Dazed and Confused, Traffic, The Ice Storm, My own Private Idaho, Kicking And Screaming, or some of the Kurosawa's.

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 22, 2008

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

That's Kurosawa. Tsk, tsk.:nyd:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Some of the jokes or little joys in it are incredibly obtuse, but I wouldn't put it past Truffaut to put them in there just for a film scholar. For example, that scene where the kids are jogging though Paris in gym class and run away one by one is an homage to a movie called "Zéro de conduite."
I wouldn't call a reference to a Jean Vigo film obtuse, particularly in a French film in the late '50s. Zéro de conduite and L'Atalante are pretty solidly in the canon of French cinema. They're not currently particularly well known to English-speaking audiences largely, I suspect, due to the lack of a R1 DVD of either. If Criterion released them, though, I'm sure you would suddenly find yourself unable to swing a dead cat around your head in an internet film discussion forum without hitting a half dozen people talking about all the obvious influences Vigo had on Truffaut and, now and for the same reasons, Lindsay Anderson.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

soggybagel posted:

On a side note, the documentary Hoop Dreams (which has a great Criterion release) is now on Hulu...so anyone who has not seen it and wants to see one of the most compelling documentaries of all time, you should go check it out.

I think anyone who has the money should shell out for the Hoops Dreams Criterion simply because it has the most insightful commentary tracks I've ever heard

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Criterions newsletter and new FAQ posted:

Are Criterion's Blu-ray discs region-encoded?

Yes. Criterion is licensed to sell most of its editions only in North America.

Why should I buy regular DVDs when I don't know if Criterion will release a Blu-ray version six months from now?

If you love these films, keep buying DVDs. It is going to be quite a while before the Blu-ray marketplace can support many of the titles Criterion releases on DVD. For new releases, if we think a title has a shot of succeeding on Blu-ray, we aim to put out both editions at the same time, so you can make an informed choice. Where classics from our catalog are concerned, to give you a little extra comfort we'll be offering a $20 Blu-ray upgrade program for customers who have already bought the equivalent edition on DVD.

You send us the movie disc from your DVD edition, and for $20 (plus tax and shipping) we'll exchange it for the Blu-ray version, simple as that.

How will the Blu-ray upgrade program work?

Just mail your disc to:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Be sure to include your U.S. or Canadian mailing address inside the package, as we cannot ship outside of North America. Please also include your e-mail address in case we need to contact you. You can send in your disc for exchange anytime, but we won’t be sending out the Blu-ray discs until their release dates.

You can pay the $20 plus tax (New York State only) and $5 shipping and handling by a check or money order made payable to the Criterion Collection. You can also pay by PayPal by making a payment to store@criterion.com (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover welcome). If your shipping address is in New York State, the total is $26.50 for the upgrade of one DVD. If your shipping address is in any other state or in Canada, the total is $25.

We’ll mail the Blu-ray disc in a sleeve, and you'll be able to place the new disc in your existing packaging. This doesn't give you the new Blu-ray packaging, but it does give you an option if you want the Blu-ray version but don't want to buy the entire set again. This offer only applies to "like" editions. For example, you can return disc 1 of the rerelease of The Third Man but not the earlier, out-of-print edition.

If you have any questions about the Blu-ray upgrade offer please e-mail Jon Mulvaney at mulvaney@criterion.com. We reserve the right to change or discontinue this program at any time.

What is the Blu-ray packaging going to look like?

Our Blu-ray packaging will be similar to our DVD packaging, only in the smaller Blu-ray size. As with DVDs, we'll use a range of paper and plastic packaging, and we'll bring the same care and attention to the design. Where we're upgrading an existing release, the design will match right down to the disc labels, so if you want to take advantage of the $20 Blu-ray upgrade program, your replacement disc will fit right into the design of your existing Criterion DVD edition. In the store, if you want to be sure you're buying the Blu-ray edition and not the standard-def DVD version, you'll know it by the smaller size and the blue Blu-ray sticker on the front.

Will Criterion's Blu-ray discs have spine numbers?

Spine numbers on our Blu-ray discs will match the existing DVD editions. Our Blu-ray releases represent a significant upgrade when it comes to audiovisual quality, and many of our customers will want to take advantage of that, but we're not starting over at number 1, and we're not expecting our longstanding DVD collectors to do so either. Where content is concerned, we aren't planning on publishing anything on our Blu-ray editions that won't also be available on DVD. Whether you collect only DVDs or only Blu-ray discs or a mix, it's all part of your Criterion collection—and they'll all line up in spine-number order.

What will Criterion Blu-ray discs cost?

Criterion's Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
That Upgrade Program isn't very practical. I wish they had talked about the essays that are getting dropped from the Blu Ray booklets too.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Jack Does Jihad posted:

That Upgrade Program isn't very practical.

It's better than double-dipping, at least.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I eBayed my old copy of The Third Man for $18.50. Substract that from the $32 pre-order price for the Blu-Ray, and that's only $13.50... less than the $25 I'd have to pay under this upgrade program. I guess it's nice that they're offering it, but it's not that great a deal. Especially when you're not even getting the proper size case. I'm not as anal as some people about displaying my collection, but I do like that my Blu-Rays are easily distinguishable from my regular DVDs on the shelf (except that drat One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

They didn't address the issue of the (apparently) smaller booklets. I hope that any dropped essays get offered as extras on the discs, or at least on the website.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Either they recently changed the specs or I'm just now noticing it, but the BR of Chungking does not include the "Moving Pictures" excerpt from the DVD. I hope this is just oversight on the website, it seems like they ought to be able to tweak the file sizes enough to squeeze that on there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I kind wish that they would start from one with blu-ray, but that's just the completist in me.

FitFortDanga posted:

They didn't address the issue of the (apparently) smaller booklets. I hope that any dropped essays get offered as extras on the discs, or at least on the website.

I'm guessing they'll just reorganize the text and design a few more pages. It wouldn't be that hard.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I kind wish that they would start from one with blu-ray, but that's just the completist in me.

I don't really worry about spine numbers since I have no intention of buying every title. It does make things icky for the completists though. Kind of a no-win situation either way, really. I would prefer they just did away with spine numbers entirely.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm guessing they'll just reorganize the text and design a few more pages. It wouldn't be that hard.

The Blu-Ray specs already indicate that some of the essays will be missing.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

SubG posted:

I wouldn't call a reference to a Jean Vigo film obtuse, particularly in a French film in the late '50s. Zéro de conduite and L'Atalante are pretty solidly in the canon of French cinema. They're not currently particularly well known to English-speaking audiences largely, I suspect, due to the lack of a R1 DVD of either. If Criterion released them, though, I'm sure you would suddenly find yourself unable to swing a dead cat around your head in an internet film discussion forum without hitting a half dozen people talking about all the obvious influences Vigo had on Truffaut and, now and for the same reasons, Lindsay Anderson.

Okay, point. And also, L'Atalante is a great movie. But when I said obtuse, I meant structurally - the joke was that it happened right after the scene where the protagonist gets chewed out for plagiarism. Even if you recognized the reference as soon as you saw it, it would probably take a moment to realize the placement was intended as a joke. I didn't recognize the homage since I hadn't seen Vigo's film, and so I only got the joke while doing a narrative breakdown for a paper. I guess I could have been over-generalizing, but I still think it would be kind of a hard joke to notice, especially the first time through.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterion.com/blog/index.html

Criterion explains the missing footage that's on the BFI release. Basically, it seems to only exist on the BFI's print... it's not on any Pasolini's prints, not in the camera negative, not in the IP used for the transfer, nada. They did put the clip up for viewing, though.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that amazon is having a great sale on Criterion dvds right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=5&docId=1000259611

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

SneakySneaks posted:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that amazon is having a great sale on Criterion dvds right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=5&docId=1000259611

Yeah, I saw this yesterday but didn't know it was a sale. The Bad Sleep Well for 14 dollars? I assumed it was an error.

Elevator to the Gallows is 15, Le Cercle Rouge is 18, great sale.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not at all Criterion-related, but they've also got the 3 Woody Allen collections for $104.99, which works out to about $5.50 per movie. I've been holding out on Allen (despite him being one of my top 10 directors, I don't actually own any of his movies) in hopes of some Blu-Ray announcements, but I don't know if I can pass this up. As cheap as it is though, I hate paying for a non-anamorphic Annie Hall. Plus, I'm running out of shelf space. Decisions, decisions....

Oh hell, I'll buy it. Now watch them announce the Blu-Ray collections next week.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

How long is this sale supposed to last? Till Sunday or Monday I assume?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Might have to bite on some now. 49% off is drat awesome.

Some I'll probably get...

Mr. Arkadin - $19.99 :aaa:
If.... - $21.99
Playtime: SE - $20.49 (even if it'll be Blu by next year, likely)
The Lady Vanishes: SE - $24.99
The Fallen Idol - $14.99

I love The Third Man (who doesn't?), so is The Fallen Idol also worth seeing as a Reed-Greene collaboration?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Why yes I would like John Cassavetes-Five Films for $58.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

I love The Third Man (who doesn't?), so is The Fallen Idol also worth seeing as a Reed-Greene collaboration?

Greene's writing is good, and some of the cinematography is reminiscent of Third Man, but it's not nearly the same thing. Not a bad movie, but it would be a much better one if it didn't center around a really annoying child.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
I really need to stop buying stuff but I've been waiting for Jules & Jim to go on sale and 18 bucks is a pretty good deal.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some words from Mulvaney regarding possible re-releases:

Jon Mulvaney posted:

We'll definitely be doing some Bergman on Blu-ray next year. SEVENTH SEAL will get a new SD version and will be released on Blu-ray at the same time. BLACK NARCISSUS has been something we've been talking about re-doing but we no immediate plans.

Jon Mulvaney posted:

We do plan to rerelease [Picnic at Hanging Rock] at some point, but a specific date has not yet been scheduled.

vvv if you don't want to wait, the ITV Blu-Ray is region-free.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 8, 2008

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Black Narcissus on Blu-ray would make me extremely happy. By far my favorite Powell+Pressburger film, and one that would really benefit from extra resolution.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Ok, went for Mr. Arkadin and Elevator to the Gallows ($20 and $15 respectively). The latter I just read some reviews for and seems like a good blind buy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVDBeaver finds the Kaurismaki box acceptable. Kaurismaki isn't everyone's cup of tea (then again, who is?) but I hope some curious people check it out.

Should be new announcements this afternoon. I suspect we'll hear about the Rossellini Eclipse set, and one or two more Blu-Rays. Please, please, please El Norte!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

EDIT: specs are in

#454: Europa (Lars Von Trier)

2 disc set
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary featuring director Lars von Trier and producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen (in Danish, with English subtitles)
- The Making of “Europa” (1991), a documentary following the film from storyboarding to production
- Trier’s Element (1991), a documentary featuring an interview with von Trier, and footage from the set and Europa’s Cannes premiere and press conference
- Anecdotes from Europa (2005), a short documentary featuring interviews with film historian Peter Schepelern, actor Jean-Marc Barr, producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen, assistant director Tómas Gislason, co-writer Niels Vørsel, and prop master Peter Grant
- 2005 interviews with cinematographer Henning Bendtsen, composer Joachim Holbek, costume designer Manon Rasmussen, film-school teacher Mogens Rukov, editor/director Tómas Gislason, producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen, art director Peter Grant, actor Michael Simpson, production manager Per Arman, actor Ole Ernst
- A conversation with Lars von Trier from 2005, in which the director speaks about the "Europa" trilogy
- Europa—The Faecal Location (2005), a short film by Gislason
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Howard Hampton

#455: White Dog (Sam Fuller)
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the uncut version, approved by producer Jon Davison
- New video interviews with producer Davison, co-writer Curtis Hanson, and Sam Fuller’s widow, Christa Lang-Fuller
- An interview with dog trainer Karl Lewis-Miller
- Rare photos from the film’s production
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critics J. Hoberman and Armond White, plus a rare 1982 interview in which Fuller interviews the canine star of the film

Nothing yet on new Blu-Rays or Eclipse sets. December is always a slow month.

Europa is a good movie... I wouldn't buy it, but I might check it out for the extras. Haven't liked anything by Fuller, but I'm still curious about White Dog.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 15, 2008

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology
Hooray! I love both Trier and Fuller. :)

I'll have to save up and put this new Europa next to my imported region 2 release. I find my self placing new special editions next to my imports more more frequently in recent years. Such is the lonely life of the double dipper and the region free'er.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. BAH! I hope this sale goes through this coming weekend. I don't get paid until friday.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
I just watched my blind buy of the Two Lane Blacktop Criterion, and I'm glad I bought it. Awesome film with very comprehensive extras and a very sharp transfer for the reasonable price of $20 right now on Amazon. If you liked Easy Rider and Vanishing Point, then this sets for you.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews34/two-lane_blacktop.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Lane-Blacktop-Collection-James-Taylor/dp/B000WC39FO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221594310&sr=8-1

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

FitFortDanga posted:

plus a rare 1982 interview in which Fuller interviews the canine star of the film

hahahaha

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Holy poo poo, I think I might have seen White Dog when I was very young, unless there are a lot of dogs-trained-to-attack-black-people movies out there.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Cacator posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I might have seen White Dog when I was very young, unless there are a lot of dogs-trained-to-attack-black-people movies out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuRQR-3Ui8

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really thought this was going to link to So Quiet On the Canine Front.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion confirms that Dodes-kaden is (finally) coming in the first half of 2009. I haven't seen this movie for 15 years, I have only the faintest memories of it being very oddly colored and incredibly long, and really depressing.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion confirms that Dodes-kaden is (finally) coming in the first half of 2009. I haven't seen this movie for 15 years, I have only the faintest memories of it being very oddly colored and incredibly long, and really depressing.

By far the worst Kurosawa movie I've seen, and long is the right word for it. Why this and not Dersu Uzala?

The only good I could see from this DVD is if they have some good documentaries talking about Kurosawa's downward spiral of depression after this movie bombed.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

OH poo poo GUYS

(Exterminating Angel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

By far the worst Kurosawa movie I've seen, and long is the right word for it. Why this and not Dersu Uzala?

The only good I could see from this DVD is if they have some good documentaries talking about Kurosawa's downward spiral of depression after this movie bombed.

I don't remember it that well, but it seemed better than Dersu Uzala to me. More interesting, at least. I'll take whatever Kurosawa they put out there anyway.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

OH poo poo GUYS

(Exterminating Angel)

Sweet (I wish I knew why I'm not getting the newsletters though). It's been known to be in the works for ages, but it's about drat time we got official (or semi-official, I guess) confirmation. I just hope they release it on Blu-Ray.