Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
The Kef is gone! enter Mordaunt Short 914 series \m/

Click here for the full 1280x610 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

mrk posted:

The Kef is gone! enter Mordaunt Short 914 series \m/

Click here for the full 1280x610 image.

What amp is that? Mine looks identical (c320 bee) but that doesn't say much when it comes to NAD.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

I had the C320BEE and recently side-graded to the C325BEE.

The differences are audible I'd say, the bass is tighter (confirmed with headphones) and each source select is relay controlled as well as the power switch being a soft on/ff switch now instead of a mechanical one!

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
Your watching promotion ;)

What happened to the Rotel? Did you not like the sound in the end? And.. why did you get rid of the Kef :o MS are okay, but those Kef looked nicer, guess they don't have bags of bass. Did you consider the Mezzo 2 by MS? They are highly recommend.

Are you using a sound card as the DAC or anything else special?

Nice shot BTW.

And, the contents of your desk pretty much match exactly what I have.. kind of freaky! Out of batteries when I get a battery I shall post new pics.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

The Rotel was nice but the headphone out quality was nowhere as good as the NAD C320 was (the C325 is even better still) and I actually got more for the Rotel than what I paid for it so just thought what the hell and went for the NAD!

Didn't really consider any other MS but was set on buying the 906i but as they were out of stock I got the newer 914i.

The Bass kicked out of these is very tight but very audible. It's never boomy and the treble detail is pretty sublime. It's llike I'm wearing my headphones (Senn HD555) and they have a great sense of space with their wide sound stage especially in movies that contain street scenes you can hear traffic moving around you even though it's stereo. It's pretty cool. Much better than the Kef!

I have a Xonar D2x soundcard btw, I use analogue out to benefit from the excellent burr brown DAC on the card connected by a cambridge audio java interconnect.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot
Hey I use HD555s with my C320 too, was pretty pleased about it but I was later given a tube headphone amp (its also in the pic I posted earlier) and that definitely makes it sound even better.

Really love the amp though, the ability to hook stuff between the pre and power amp was handy for hooking up a subwoofer, I just wish it had an extra set of speaker outputs.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Ah yes bi wiring or multiroom would have been handy but you can't really complain though especially for the sound it gives out!

How much are headphone amps? never really looked into them as I have been pretty pleased with the NAD output!

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
check out head-fi.org for the best information on these amps. I got a pro-ject head box SE some years ago, and it has served me very well. I pair them with the HD600, I am hoping to upgrade the amp later this year for one of these:-

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

It has a DAC in it, and a great amp. I am hoping the euro doesn't grow stronger by October :( If the price of the Orchestra goes down any further I might have to snap and buy..

I am more interested about Headphone listening now since I found out that headphones are better at conveying sound because they have less sound delay between the source and the ear drum. I am not convinced maybe because my equipment isn't that amazing.

Here is a great show from Tekzilla on the matter, hope you enjoy!

http://revision3.com/tekzilla/cups/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

That looks pretty drat expensive and good!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

The computer is a barebones with a cheap case. Nothing fancy, but I like it. The desk came from Big Lots, and it was exactly what I wanted, too.

The computer is also the center of attention in my living area.

since then, I've added my old Dell.

Bigger with Labels here! (1177x945)

And I don't really care much about the wires. I move things around often enough that I don't want grabbing one to mean grabbing all of them. They need to be freeeeee

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Click here for the full 1280x1707 image.

custom computer desk my dad and I built over 6 years ago before I went to college.
free* dual 1 Ghz G4
2.8 PIV Linux server peeking out from the shelf above the mac
2.8 PIV Windows machine on the left for games/tv
scanner up top
printer behind the second monitor on the left
a tasty beer on the desk

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

devmd01 posted:

I love the arm rest. There should be a law saying that all computer desks should have them.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

This is my old set up, it ended being over cumbersome.. I really didn't need the 19" horizontal ;p

So I have the BenQ and Dell on here now, moved the amp under the monitors. I keep the Z-5500 for xboxing.

I need a good looking k/b Razer Lycosa looks nice but a bit geeky, the dinivo is just too expensive. I might get the Enermax aluminium k/b next week.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Looking good! The Logitech S510 is a slick looking keyboard by the way!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ema Nymton posted:

I love the arm rest. There should be a law saying that all computer desks should have them.

Thanks! I wanted that in there so i'd have full support of my arm while using it...the keyboard platform also folds down but I never do that unless moving. The keyboard/mouse platform is also at just the right height for a normal office chair...gently caress RSI, I don't have any. :)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

wasp_f15ing posted:

This is my old set up, it ended being over cumbersome.. I really didn't need the 19" horizontal ;p

So I have the BenQ and Dell on here now, moved the amp under the monitors. I keep the Z-5500 for xboxing.

I need a good looking k/b Razer Lycosa looks nice but a bit geeky, the dinivo is just too expensive. I might get the Enermax aluminium k/b next week.

Now that you only have 2 monitors do you have one setup 1 in the center and 1 off to the side or both sharing the middle?

That's the one issue I have with 2 monitor setups - which one is the "primary" monitor (that should be in the middle?) I'd have to have 3 LCDs to make it right - 2 off to the side, 1 in the middle.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006

glitch77 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 3, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MacBook Pro 15": Core 2 Duo T7500, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 8600m GT, 120GB HDD
Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1GB DDR, GeForce 7600 GT, 2x500GB + 1000GB HDDs, Lian-Li PC-V1000
Sharp Aquos LC42D64U
Logitech Z-5300
Cheapass Canon inkjet
Xbox 360 Premium
PS2

The speakers sound a lot better than they look.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2008

nf
Mar 5, 2005

nf fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 25, 2009

Grambo
Jan 18, 2005

Vice Admiral of the S.S. FUCKINGKICKYOURASS.
I do a lot of work from home, so I have my desk set up to support that. I used to have a TON of crap, but lately I've been trying to keep only the essentials.

Click here for the full 1684x600 image.

Lava Lamp
Nortel Phone (Work Ext.)
Desktop: HP DC5800 (E84000, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD)
PDA: Dell Axim X51v (running WM6.1)
Laptop: Sony GRT100... getting old (Pentium 4 2.66GHZ, 1GB RAM, 40GB SLOW HD)

Another Image (showing the Desktop)

Click here for the full 1000x494 image.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

tvgm2 posted:

Not to derail, but I remember a thread like this a few years ago where goons posted their messy rooms. That trash pile reminds me of one picture where the desk/computer was in a basement/cave, and to the right of it was dirt and darkness. Does anyone have this picture handy?

fixed huge images

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 24, 2008

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Twiin posted:

Sorry to grab this all the way back from the first page, but I really like this setup. Where did you find that desk?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

fixed huge images

Every time I see this I think it's kind of cool in a really horrible way.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

HalloKitty posted:

fixed huge images
Well my memory sucks, but thanks so much for these.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Leck posted:

Sorry to grab this all the way back from the first page, but I really like this setup. Where did you find that desk?

It's the Ikea Jerker, which has been discontinued for a couple years now.

They pop up on the used market from time to time, so keep your eyes peeled. They're very popular, though, and getting someone to part with one is like getting them to give up a child.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

It's the Ikea Jerker, which has been discontinued for a couple years now.

They pop up on the used market from time to time, so keep your eyes peeled. They're very popular, though, and getting someone to part with one is like getting them to give up a child.
There's a reason that desk has had entire threads devoted to it here in SH/SC, as any time it shows up in a photo people ask what it is and where they can get it. Why Ikea discontinued it is a complete mystery to me.

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

strwrsxprt posted:

There's a reason that desk has had entire threads devoted to it here in SH/SC, as any time it shows up in a photo people ask what it is and where they can get it. Why Ikea discontinued it is a complete mystery to me.

I love mine and it will follow me wherever I go.

I do wonder if Ikea has some secret warehouse of Jerker parts lurking somewhere... They carry a 10-year warranty, after all, and I'd hate to think they'd try to pawn a Frederik off on me if something broke.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Molten Llama posted:

I love mine and it will follow me wherever I go.

I do wonder if Ikea has some secret warehouse of Jerker parts lurking somewhere... They carry a 10-year warranty, after all, and I'd hate to think they'd try to pawn a Frederik off on me if something broke.

The Frederick isn't bad!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I don't get the love for the Jerker. It's a generic quasi-industrial dorm desk with a bunch of optional modular parts that are kinda necessary if you want to make it acceptable. By the time you mess around with that, you could get a good desk.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

glitch77 posted:

Sorry for the terrible quality.

Is that kitchen countertop? :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heath posted:

Is that kitchen countertop? :psyduck:

Hahaha, holy gently caress. If it is, that's badass. I'd rather a countertop than a desk any day :xd:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Matlock posted:

I don't get the love for the Jerker. It's a generic quasi-industrial dorm desk with a bunch of optional modular parts that are kinda necessary if you want to make it acceptable. By the time you mess around with that, you could get a good desk.

But, in this way, the Jerker is everything to everyone. It is all our hopes, dreams, and fears rolled into a desk. Through the desk we experience our world. The world experiences us through the desk. The desk is us. We are the desk.

I am a Jerker, perfect as Ikea made me.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Excuse me for living like poo poo, but I have some pretty serious bronchitis right now. Also, space is at a significant premium in Japan. My room is only a bit larger than some prison cells I've seen. There's another picture here from when I moved in.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 25, 2008

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

current desk is a temporary banquet table. my actual desk is the fabled jerker, which i will be able to use again in about a month when i move

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

and all the poo poo under my desk

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

what it is:

leftmost system is my desktop running Vista
TJ09 case
Core 2 Quad @ 3.6ghz
4GB ram
8800 GTS 640mb
1.5TB storage

small system is a shuttle running Ubuntu and used as my HTPC (and currently in my room because I'm moving soon)
SG33G5
2ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB ram

right system is my server/development box
Athlon 64 3200+
2GB ram
2TB storage

above that system is my router running pfSense
ALIX 2c3 system (500mhz Geode, 256mb ram)
4GB hitachi microdrive

UPS is an APC Smart UPS 1500 VA

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 25, 2008

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

kalleboo posted:

Commented on FlickR!

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006

glitch77 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 3, 2019

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
This thread needs more Macs and Ikea desks.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

glitch77 posted:

Yup. Big as hell, doesn't EVER scratch, easy to clean, isn't affected by spills, and poo poo can't go falling off the back.

Once you go black(countertop) you never go back.

Yeah, custom-built countertop desks are awesome. Mine's only about half that size, with full wood boards for legs and a place to hold my tower. I'd take a pic and show it, but I don't have a digital camera.

It's durable as hell, and surprisingly comfortable to rest your arms on. Definitely would recommend it if you're thinking of building your own desk.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I have two computers, my older eMac and my new PC, which I don't have a monitor for, so I use my LCD HDTV. I'm now glad I don't have a monitor because the tv honestly looks god drat amazing, and the large size and widescreen makes playing games and doing graphics awesome.

A composite wideshot of my desk to see more detail:

Click here for the full 2048x590 image.

And a pulled out shot so you can see everything; I was zeroing out my dosimeters right before I took this shot:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

I want a Macbook Pro so I can run pro apps better!