Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been speeding through The Shield for about 2 weeks. I just finished Season 5 and I wanted to be finished with S6 by now but them's the breaks with Netflix I guess. I'll just set the DVR to tape S7 while I'm at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
Got Spaced from Netflix and watched it in two nights (not hard since there are only 14 episodes). Got interested in it after rewatching Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and it's hilarious. Pity there were only two seasons.

Getting The Office Season 4 from Amazon sometime next week and then I'll be binging through all of the seasons again (from both versions).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Earlier this month, I watched the entire series of Twin Peaks, plus all the extras on the Gold Box set, the movie, and all the extras on the DVD of that over a five-day period. Absolutely fantastic show, only beaten by Arrested Development as my favourite show of all time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

ElScorcho posted:

Got Spaced from Netflix and watched it in two nights (not hard since there are only 14 episodes). Got interested in it after rewatching Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and it's hilarious. Pity there were only two seasons.

I'm just very happy that the American version fell through. Because that show was about the friendship of the people in it. And unless they would have found people similar it would have been a pile of poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MadManiac posted:

I am really really curious about The Wire. How much does a season usually cost?
On Deep Discount, the season sets are $49.94 except for season 5 which is $38.89.

drjabberwock
Jul 15, 2005

what
I just watched all of Twin Peaks. The older I get, the less I believe that David Lynch's works are full of deeper meaning and more one theme (corruption beneath a veneer of normalcy) along with stuff he makes up as he goes along. Apart from the convoluted mythology of the show, he's really good at creating creepy atmospheres so the series is still really enjoyable.

Granted, most of the second season didn't have Lynch's direct input and suffers for it, especially as the series devolves into a soap opera.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Eagerly awaiting the new season of TV from the States, thank you Usenet!

So far, in the not to distant past, I have mostly been watching Samantha Who and The Middlemen (man?)Downloading The Wire season one as I speak...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I've recently did a run through Monk; and the show is pretty ridiculous. Monk gets really annoying after a few episodes, but the cases are sometimes pretty interesting.

IRL through, half these cases wouldn't make it to trial, there is virtually no proof for many of them beyond speculation and coincidences.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I recently got Netflix and have been doing basically a disc a day of The X-Files. I'd never seen it before and now I cannot get enough. God that writing is amazing. I'm two discs in to season 4 right now, and I think so far my favorite episodes have been "Humbug," "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space," and the two parter "Colony" and "End Game." I also really appreciate how often they have David Duchovny take his shirt off. :swoon:

DOEY2121
Oct 16, 2006

The Most Badass Ninja Around
Somehow I missed out on Heroes even after everyone was recommending it and talking about it. I just finished Season 1 tonight in about a week and picked up Season 2 on DVD yesterday to fly through at school until Season 3 starts!

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

I recently got Netflix and have been doing basically a disc a day of The X-Files. I'd never seen it before and now I cannot get enough. God that writing is amazing. I'm two discs in to season 4 right now, and I think so far my favorite episodes have been "Humbug," "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space," and the two parter "Colony" and "End Game." I also really appreciate how often they have David Duchovny take his shirt off. :swoon:

I'm just warning you - you're pretty much right where the series is best. Season 7 has some great episodes, but there's plenty that are just awful and don't even get me started on Agent Doggett.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
^^ That's what I've heard. I am NOT looking forward to DD leaving, my friend said the show stays good until he wanted them to start writing him out of it. I've heard conflicting things about the new movie, did you see it? thoughts?

And I just watched "Confessions of a Cigarette Smoking Man." Holy poo poo my LIFE. This show just toys with my emotions so bad and yet I love it. That box of chocolates speech by ciggy at the end was incredible.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

^^ That's what I've heard. I am NOT looking forward to DD leaving, my friend said the show stays good until he wanted them to start writing him out of it. I've heard conflicting things about the new movie, did you see it? thoughts?

And I just watched "Confessions of a Cigarette Smoking Man." Holy poo poo my LIFE. This show just toys with my emotions so bad and yet I love it. That box of chocolates speech by ciggy at the end was incredible.

Personally, I feel that somewhere along the way, Chris Carter lost sight of what his ultimate goal in telling the story was. The overall arc just kinda meanders here and there in the later seasons as opposed to the tight storytelling in the first 5.

And "Confessions" is definitely one of the top 5 episodes.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jedi posted:

Personally, I feel that somewhere along the way, Chris Carter lost sight of what his ultimate goal in telling the story was. The overall arc just kinda meanders here and there in the later seasons as opposed to the tight storytelling in the first 5.

I always got the feeling that Chris Carter was always more about mood and ambiance rather than a solid-story story to tell with the show.
Theres a couple of stories in the old xfiles guides about how he would come up with monsters and images and relied on the writers to work around them, even if it meant adding a new bit to the ufo conspiracies or whatever.

Slackarius
Jul 30, 2006
Master of Slackery

SaviourX posted:

The worst that could happen is you enjoy it all the way through to the end of season 3 only to be gazing at the long, unyielding middle finger of HBO.

Wow, you were so right.

drat you HBO! Cocksuckers!

Just caught up with Mad Men this last week, rather neat show. Definitely worth watching, and I've also been subjecting myself to Doogie Howser M.D. on hulu recently since they've got all 4 seasons up now. Why must so many shows get canceled right out instead of giving a final season to tie up the story!? Is that too much to ask?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I finished Damages at about 1.30 this morning. Fantastic stuff - can't wait for the next season. My Babylon 5 seasons 4 & 5 DVDs should arrive some time this week, so I'll be able to sit down and watch that properly. After that, I just need season 1 to complete my X-Files collection, and I'll watch that too.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I thought I would blast through The Larry Sanders Show as I remember seeing 1 or 2 episodes when it aired originally, and kinda liked it. But I could barely get through 1 ep. on DVD all the way through, and I can't really muster up the motivation to watch the rest. Does it grow on you and get better? Or is it just not for me?

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
one more with The Wire here. halfway through season 2 and I love it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Forever Knight. I was kinda into it when it was in reruns on Sci-Fi channel when I was in high school, but then I saw the final episode and gave up in a depressed huff. Last week I downloaded it randomly and watched seasons 1-2, then had to buy the season 3 DVD.

The show is so hilariously dated. It was Canada in the early-mid 90's, and it shows. Huge cell phones, tapes in the answering machines, women with shoulder pads. OMG, and the hair. The vampire cop even wears a pink T-shirt. PINK.

Remember this was Canada, it's like the 80s were still going.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I've been going through Sliders, nearing the end of season 3 now. Unfortunately Arturo just died and I have heard that the show takes a sharp downturn in the final 2 seasons. Right now I'm missing the Professor but Kari Wuhrer's boobs are an adequate replacement. It's clearly not of the calibre of some of the shows out today but it's a cool idea and quite good fun.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Finally finished Prison Break season 1 to 3, I'll be watching the premiere of the fourth season when I come home tonight, and I've got to say...

I don't understand why people would complain that the series jumped the shark, wasn't as good as the first season, etc... I thought that season 2 and season 3 were actually improvements on season 1, as good as season 1 was. The only things that truly made me sad was that Abruzzi didn't make it, because he was such a great character. And man do the Prison Break people love to kill off main characters and especially love interests. I never saw Veronica's death coming, even when they shot I figured they'd be shooting Terrence instead, that they would not have the balls to kill her. I did see Sarah coming from a mile away, though, since you never saw the character's face anymore, even pictures weren't pictures of her, so I immediately figured in the first episode that they would kill her off, didn't expect that they'd gwyneth paltrow her though.

Really really looking forward to tonight, though one episode a week is going to suck.

I'll probably start Touching Evil (US) now, I need a Jeffrey Donovan fix until Burn Notice comes back for the mid-season finale

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Anorak Revolution posted:

I don't understand why people would complain that the series jumped the shark, wasn't as good as the first season, etc...

For me it happened in a similar way to 24. Both shows were written so they could be wrapped up halfway through the first season if they didn't get picked up. Up until that point they were very tightly plotted and made good use of an original concept. After that point the plotting got a lot looser, the plots a lot sillier and individual episodes a lot more predictable.

This doesn't mean that the shows still can't be fun and enjoyable if you like the style and characters. I still enjoy Prison Break (24 not so much) it's silly escapism but I like it. However, the first half of the season 1 had this really taut thriller aspect to it that really made for compulsive viewing.

Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses. Maybe it's just because it was new what later became predictable hadn't yet and it was all a lot fresher. I've never gone back and rewatched (and never will, it's not that kind of show). But to me stuff like the riot episodes in first season are a lot more memorable than anything that has happened since.

I also think it suffers a little due to the fact that the original hook/concept is now completely redundant and ends up being a chore they have to write around. Without the whole tattoo business the show may never have been made and might not have hooked as many people from day one. But now it's a bit of an albatross and we end up with the main character being forever condemned to long sleeves because who the hell wants to spend that long in makeup for something that is now completely irrelevant. Likewise they've ditched the realtime on 24 but they've ended up stuck with a very restrictive format and the plotting has suffered because of that.

Edit: For anyone who likes intricate/conspiracy/action stuff and is willing to suspend disbelief I'm going to pimp Kidnapped again. It got cancelled a few episodes in, but the entire series was eventually aired. It was a really fun show, with a great cast and loads of surprising twist and turns. It's a really compulsive "just one more episode" kind of show.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 2, 2008

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

I always got the feeling that Chris Carter was always more about mood and ambiance rather than a solid-story story to tell with the show.
Theres a couple of stories in the old xfiles guides about how he would come up with monsters and images and relied on the writers to work around them, even if it meant adding a new bit to the ufo conspiracies or whatever.

Maybe that's why it works the first few times, but after that the charm wears off. I think we need a new X-Files thread.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Slackarius posted:

and I've also been subjecting myself to Doogie Howser M.D. on hulu recently since they've got all 4 seasons up now. Why must so many shows get canceled right out instead of giving a final season to tie up the story!? Is that too much to ask?

Yeah I finished watching all of Doogie last week. I remembered I'd actually watched the series finale when it was on after missing most of the previous two season of the show and thinking "What the gently caress?" It seems even more annoying now after seeing the actual episodes leading up to the finale. It made me wonder if they didn't tell the producers they were getting canceled until the day they started writing the last episode of the show. Also, this was back before there was a lot of continuity on shows, but seriously, one day Doogie's happy then the next he goes on Jenny Jones, freaks out, quits medicine, dumps his girlfriend and runs off to Rome. And his parents are fine with it. Okay. At least the last two seasons were mostly Wanda-Free.

Anyway, I'm now in the middle of The Wire season 4. Just from seeing a lot of people in this and the saddest episodes thread talk about the ending of the season I'm dreading it, but I also think so far this is the best season of the show yet.

cYp
Apr 16, 2007

After finishing Generation Kill, I wanted to dive into other HBO miniseries.
Currently watching John Adams and Band Of Brothers.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

I think we need a new X-Files thread.

I agree - I need to discuss things that have happened but I hate to clog up this thread with specific episode talk. (Though I will say, last night I watched "Memento Mori," the one where they talk about Scully's tumor for the first time, and I was almost crying the whole drat time. What an amazing episode.)

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
the UK series, Skins. I'm almost done both series in the last couple of days.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."
Just got caught up on Dexter, now time for Mad Men.

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

Currently going through Season 3 of 24. This is my first time ever watching the show and I know starting at Season 3 is probably stupid but so far I'm not feeling like I've missed anything vital. I'm only 4 episodes in and I really like it thus far, it's shocked me a few times already and I love that in a TV show.

Question (a la Dwight Schrute), after I finish season 3, should I go back and watch 1 and 2 or carry on to 4?

Dr. Van Nostrum
Sep 14, 2007
I've gone through five seasons of 'The Shield' in about a month -- hoping to catch up in time for the second episode of Season 7 by next week.

roxanne posted:

Currently going through Season 3 of 24. This is my first time ever watching the show and I know starting at Season 3 is probably stupid but so far I'm not feeling like I've missed anything vital. I'm only 4 episodes in and I really like it thus far, it's shocked me a few times already and I love that in a TV show.

Question (a la Dwight Schrute), after I finish season 3, should I go back and watch 1 and 2 or carry on to 4?
Honestly, I'd stop now and go back and watch 1 and 2 first. There are a lot of twists from the first two that you still probably don't know about, but they will be spoiled if you finish Season 3.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Dr. Van Nostrum posted:

Honestly, I'd stop now and go back and watch 1 and 2 first. There are a lot of twists from the first two that you still probably don't know about, but they will be spoiled if you finish Season 3.

I second this. You'll regret knowing some stuff in advance, but if you are enjoying keep watching. (Interestingly, I think you can watch Season 4 and not have to go back to seasons 1-3)

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

argh, okay okay. Tomorrow I shall grab my friends DVDs off of him and start over at 1. Thanks for the input guys. :) Looks like Arrested Development for me tonight then! Another show I'm going through for the first time, although this time I was a good girl and started at Season 1.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
1 and 2 are great, and you really can't get that supreme sense of satisfaction from the end of season 3 (and, hell, the middle too) without the buildup from seasons 1 and 2. However, 3 does stand pretty well on its own, too.

I love me some 24 seasons 1-3. Other seasons... well...

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
My roommate for this year hasn't seen Supernatural yet, and I have all 3 seasons on DVD, cue sleepless nights. I am waiting the gently caress outta the new season. Just over a week now!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Last month I went through 30 Rock season 2, getting ready for season 3 to air in October.

After 30 Rock I've been binging through Dexter and am about halfway through season 2.

Next up will be Stargate SG1, as I picked up the complete series boxset a few weeks back and I haven't seen some of the older episodes in years.

Shows I still need to watch, which I'll do eventually:
Eureka
Skins
Weeds season 4
Green Wing season 2

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I've been going through shows for a while now, starting with Star Trek TNG and X-Files.

Regrettably, I sat through Roswell after seeing it on Hulu and remembering that I was intrigued when it came to TV but never watched it. I had hoped the sci-fi would have been kicked up, but the teen drama and stupidity ruined a good premise.

Just recently I caught up with Doctor Who and might go into the 80s series at the suggestion of a friend.

My problem with catching up on TV series is that I can do it way too fast. Since I can watch them at work while I do menial tasks, I can blow through 4 seasons in a week at the most.

Right now I'm in limbo, I guess waiting for another show that interests me to come on my radar. I'm sure I'll find something in this thread.

metachronos posted:

BSG season 2 and Batman Beyond of all things.

When I went through Batman Beyond I was made aware that the show was axed without a proper ending. However, the finale of season 2 of Justice League Unlimited, the episode Epilogue, was used to give the show a proper series finale and did so very well I think. If you can get your hands on that episode I would suggest watching it.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 3, 2008

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Post from June:

Bonk posted:

Babylon 5
The Sopranos (1st season only)
Flight of the Conchords
The original UK Office
Slings & Arrows
The Wire
30 Rock

I'll probably come back to this post late in the year and find that I've failed miserably.
Yup. Pretty much failed miserably, other than Conchords and some of Sopranos. I'm not sure what happened, but I somehow got really busy this summer. Once the fall TV season starts, I give up on catching up to anything until the mid-season hiatus. So it looks like some of these will be my Winter break indulgence, and the rest will have to wait until next summer.

I might still check out the UK Office since it's so short; I still have a week or two before all my fall shows begin again.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drighton posted:

Just recently I caught up with Doctor Who and might go into the 80s series at the suggestion of a friend.

You might do better going with the '60s and '70s instead.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

DOEY2121 posted:

Somehow I missed out on Heroes even after everyone was recommending it and talking about it. I just finished Season 1 tonight in about a week and picked up Season 2 on DVD yesterday to fly through at school until Season 3 starts!

Ditto, I'm not really sure why I missed Heroes the first time around. Only watching 1 or 2 a night, so I should at least be done with Volume 1 by the time the current season starts.

Should I bother with trying to get season 2 watched before then as well?(or DVR it i geuss until I'm caught up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Season 2 is only 13 episodes and season 3 picks up right where it ends so either watch it or read summaries online or you might be lost when the show comes back.