Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

grzydj posted:

If you can, keep your Maxima and buy a Wrangler as a fun/weekend/wheeling vehicle. They're not the greatest daily drivers, especially when you're only getting 15 mpg tops. I get about 11 tops with mine.

9k should get you into a nice used TJ with a 4.0 inline 6, but the thing is, you won't keep it stock for long, and the mods never end.

I have to disagree. A stock TJ will get you to 90% of the places in the world. Keeping it stock will make you a better driver. The more you mod, the bigger chance you run of getting yourself in to more trouble than you can handle.

Also, you should have put swampers on the POWA WAGON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

I think part of it is that it's so computer controlled, I feel so disconnected from everything with it. To me it doesn't feel like a real Jeep. *shrug*

It may be better on rocks than the TJ Rubi, but in loose sand and tight trails, my TJ seemed to do better. At least that's how I feel about it anyway.

Ill admit, that I really dont like the ESP feature on mine as its kind of lame. Ive seen it add no real benefit and it acts like a hinderance more than a help.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Braincloud posted:

What kind of lift do you have on there? How's the ride? Is it still as cushy as the stock ride. I've been thinking of lifting my JK Rubi but really love how cushy it is on the road and don't want to put on a stiffer suspension.
Its a teraflex 2 1/2 Budget Boost with new shocks. Its still somewhat cushy but has definetly stiffened up some, but it dosent bother me. It rides like every other Jeep I've been in, 50 years of innovation and a jeep is still a jeep.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Just got a Jeep Cherokee (1998, 80k miles) in lovely forestry service green. I was hoping to go for something with better gas mileage, but my dad sold it to me for like $3,000 and I'm not going to do enough driving to make up $5,000 extra I'd spend buying an early 2000s Civic or something similar.

I wish it had more than two speakers. At least it has a CD player now.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 20, 2008

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Agrocrag posted:

So I had my first off-roading experience in my friends 4runner and it was fun as poo poo; he has me convinced that I should sell my 2003 Nissan maxima and buy a jeep wrangler.

What year/model should I look for with the best off-road capability, priced around $9k?

Just remember the JEEP acronym:
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

MC Scrillz posted:

I wish it had more than two speakers. At least it has a CD player now.

get yourself a soundbar from a junkyard and wire it up.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I received a letter from the DMV today saying that they will revoke my offensive personalized license plate of:

Unless I write a letter to them and try to convince them otherwise. I guess I can see how someone could come to the conclusion that it refers to testicles, but it's on a Jeep in Arizona. Are people that dumb? I've had this plate on two different Jeeps for the last 10 years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Write back to them and see if ASSMAN is available.

Then tell them to stop taking themselves so seriously.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Went to my mechanic the other day to find out what was leaking. A seal on my power steering box was dripping.. so he threw in some stuff to puff up the seals. I just read through this thread today at work and I want to start messing around with my XJ.

I am going to be needed new tires soon.. and I want something a little meaner looking than my stock. I would like to get 31-32" tires, but that would require a body lift. Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to install a body lift on a 2000 XJ? Google just gives me Silverados and 07 Rubicons..

Just trying to look at the scope of work needed and price vs. my want for bigger and better (maybe unesessary) things.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
After passing on probably 15 Wranglers so far, I'm checking this one out today - http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/807462427.html

Exactly what I'm looking for - black, 6cyl, manual

Actually, it's a little nicer than my original plan but the price is right.

It's had one owner, a guy in his 40s. I've read all the FAQs about purchasing, mostly dealing with frame rust, leaks, and carb issues. The guy claims no rust and it's a '93 so it's fuel injected. Anything specific I should ask about or look out for in this particular year? The guy got a little huffy and almost sounded offended when I asked if it needed any work not listed in the ad, saying he felt he was very straightforward in the ad. This was originally listed at $3200 a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's because the 6-cylinder models are not moving too quickly.

My brain keeps saying "It looks too clean, there's gotta be something wrong with it."

PCJ-600 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 23, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

glasyalabolas posted:

After passing on probably 15 Wranglers so far, I'm checking this one out today - http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/807462427.html

Exactly what I'm looking for - black, 6cyl, manual

Actually, it's a little nicer than my original plan but the price is right.

It's had one owner, a guy in his 40s. I've read all the FAQs about purchasing, mostly dealing with frame rust, leaks, and carb issues. The guy claims no rust and it's a '93 so it's fuel injected. Anything specific I should ask about or look out for in this particular year? The guy got a little huffy and almost sounded offended when I asked if it needed any work not listed in the ad, saying he felt he was very straightforward in the ad. This was originally listed at $3200 a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's because the 6-cylinder models are not moving too quickly.

gently caress YEAH! Another YJ owner!
What do you want to do with it, or what are your plans?

I had trouble with the vacuum lines that engage the front axle. I ripped all that poo poo off and went with a posi-lock, which uses a cable instead.

Check for leaking at the rear main seal, it's a known issue. Some people just deal with it, but if you have the tools you can fix it and it's not such huge a deal.

The fuel gauge may dance around or some of the gauges may be off, because that whole loving cluster system sucks. It's not a huge deal, you'll just need to figure out your range using your odometer.

Transmission is good, engine is good. Front axle is pretty not bad, but depending on what your plans are the rear axle is the weakest link.

If you want to run ~31s it SHOULD do okay, but it requires careful use of the skinny pedal. Many people toss a lift and 33s on their first thing and are usually the ones sitting in the middle of the trail going "HOW DO I FIXED AXEL?"

Some people say the D35 is fine. I have seen too many failures and go off road sparingly and take it very easy for now.

Easy swap for rear axle is a D44, if you can find one it should bolt right in.

I chose to go with a Ford 8.8 for the rear axle and am on the precipice of installing it, gathering final parts.

The jeep you are looking at is fuel injected so most of what I have learned about the engine won't apply. I have no computer and I have 2 vacuum lines on the engine with no EGR. I do know you should look for oil in the air box as that is a common problem on the 4.0s and is an easy fix. Look for rust on the bottom of the master cylinder as mine was eat the gently caress up.

I have schematics of wiring for the jeep and have done led taillights, backup lights, and all the plans needed to replace that lovely goddamn gauge cluster with real gauges. I've herculined my tub, replaced pretty much every torx bolt with a regular hex head one, replaced the front speakers the easy way, and about every other "small" project you can do.

I am in a holding patter gathering parts to install the rear axle, which will be the beginning of the end of the "poo poo to replace" list.

Also not to scare you off read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502691

most are accurate,it depends ofthe level of how ragged out the YJ actually is.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Polish posted:

I am going to be needed new tires soon.. and I want something a little meaner looking than my stock. I would like to get 31-32" tires, but that would require a body lift. Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to install a body lift on a 2000 XJ? Google just gives me Silverados and 07 Rubicons..

Your Google results should have been the first clue. Jeep saw fit to build the XJ as a unibody vehicle without a separate frame. Therefore you can't use a body lift kit, as there's nowhere to put it. Suspension lifts and cutting the fenders are your only options for fitting larger tires.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

murphle posted:

Your Google results should have been the first clue. Jeep saw fit to build the XJ as a unibody vehicle without a separate frame. Therefore you can't use a body lift kit, as there's nowhere to put it. Suspension lifts and cutting the fenders are your only options for fitting larger tires.

:(

Lame.. time to go look for those BFGr 235s mentioned earlier..

...gently caress me suspension lifts are expensive.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

gently caress YEAH! Another YJ owner!
What do you want to do with it, or what are your plans?

I had trouble with the vacuum lines that engage the front axle. I ripped all that poo poo off and went with a posi-lock, which uses a cable instead.

Check for leaking at the rear main seal, it's a known issue. Some people just deal with it, but if you have the tools you can fix it and it's not such huge a deal.

The fuel gauge may dance around or some of the gauges may be off, because that whole loving cluster system sucks. It's not a huge deal, you'll just need to figure out your range using your odometer.

Transmission is good, engine is good. Front axle is pretty not bad, but depending on what your plans are the rear axle is the weakest link.

If you want to run ~31s it SHOULD do okay, but it requires careful use of the skinny pedal. Many people toss a lift and 33s on their first thing and are usually the ones sitting in the middle of the trail going "HOW DO I FIXED AXEL?"

Some people say the D35 is fine. I have seen too many failures and go off road sparingly and take it very easy for now.

Easy swap for rear axle is a D44, if you can find one it should bolt right in.

I chose to go with a Ford 8.8 for the rear axle and am on the precipice of installing it, gathering final parts.

The jeep you are looking at is fuel injected so most of what I have learned about the engine won't apply. I have no computer and I have 2 vacuum lines on the engine with no EGR. I do know you should look for oil in the air box as that is a common problem on the 4.0s and is an easy fix. Look for rust on the bottom of the master cylinder as mine was eat the gently caress up.

I have schematics of wiring for the jeep and have done led taillights, backup lights, and all the plans needed to replace that lovely goddamn gauge cluster with real gauges. I've herculined my tub, replaced pretty much every torx bolt with a regular hex head one, replaced the front speakers the easy way, and about every other "small" project you can do.

I am in a holding patter gathering parts to install the rear axle, which will be the beginning of the end of the "poo poo to replace" list.

Also not to scare you off read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502691

most are accurate,it depends ofthe level of how ragged out the YJ actually is.

Thanks, I'm not too worried. I'm in no rush to buy so if it's leaky or problematic I'll just hold off. I'd look at a suspension lift eventually but I'm not going to be hitting the trail real soon. I'm just looking for something to complement my 944 as a reliable driver in foul weather and I'm pretty good with small to moderate projects like you're describing.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yay just fixed my power windows.. that jeepforum is amazing. If anyone elses XJ power windows stopped working from every switch except the drivers'.. check out this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288655&highlight=door+locks

I've had this car for three years, and I am now just getting into working on it. It's a daily driver, so I don't wanna go crazy with it.. just wanna spruce it up some. Thinking about taking a little camping trip with it in a few weeks. I am not really knowledgeable about how to work on cars, but I have always been interested. Hoping to be able to cut my mechanic out of car repairs. ...what else can I gently caress with.

Polish fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 23, 2008

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

Polish posted:

:(

Lame.. time to go look for those BFGr 235s mentioned earlier..

...gently caress me suspension lifts are expensive.

If you know what you're doing you can build your own 3" kit for really cheap using junkyard parts, 3" is good enough to fit 33's with a bit of trimming.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Unfortunatly I really don't know what I'm doing. My working on cars ability is oil changes and stereo systems.. I really don't know how to do much else besides easy crap. But I am willing to learn, and confident that I will be able figure some stuff out over time.

Just went out to see if my power steering fluid was still leaking.. which it appears it is. I made a real quick drawing of what it looks like.. I'll get pictures when I get my camera tonight.

Lines are running from the "PS fluid" box into that housing. The linkage arm also goes into that housing and I am going to assume that a seal where the arm goes into the housing, is weak and leaking. I can't really see anywhere else where it would be leaking. My guess would be to remove that housing and replace the seal.. seems pretty cut and dry. Arg.. I'm going to look for a book or something. Any imput would be great.

Polish fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 23, 2008

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
gently caress.

Crazy old man darts out in front of me at the grocery store in the middle of a left turn; i miss him by mere inches only to catch the big gently caress off concrete pole in front of the place. I bite through my tongue i hit so hard. So i jump out of my car and spit a mouthful of blood onto the concrete and slur 'The fucks?!'. Old guy literally takes off running and hops in his car and drives off. I bend the fender off my tire and drive home.

Meh, i really wasn't upset with the guy; more in a daze and a gently caress my car is smashed anger. Oh well, time to raid a pick a part and make my jeep one of the proud members of mismatched fender color glory.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Scrubed posted:

gently caress.

Crazy old man darts out in front of me at the grocery store in the middle of a left turn; i miss him by mere inches only to catch the big gently caress off concrete pole in front of the place. I bite through my tongue i hit so hard. So i jump out of my car and spit a mouthful of blood onto the concrete and slur 'The fucks?!'. Old guy literally takes off running and hops in his car and drives off. I bend the fender off my tire and drive home.

Meh, i really wasn't upset with the guy; more in a daze and a gently caress my car is smashed anger. Oh well, time to raid a pick a part and make my jeep one of the proud members of mismatched fender color glory.

Get insurance money. FLAT FENDERS.
These are my home made ones but there are loads of manufacturers who make em.
my home made ones.

i forgot about imageshack and sa.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 24, 2008

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Get insurance money. FLAT FENDERS.

High deductible and the fact that even brand new these fenders only run $225 means i'm not making a claim.

I already picked up a stock bumper on Craig's list.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Scrubed posted:

High deductible and the fact that even brand new these fenders only run $225 means i'm not making a claim.

I already picked up a stock bumper on Craig's list.

Come on now, you should know that a broken part on a Jeep doesn't mean "replace with stock", it means UPGRADE!

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Come on now, you should know that a broken part on a Jeep doesn't mean "replace with stock", it means UPGRADE!

Bleah, it's a bumper and I really don't off road or rock crawl much. No need.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Scrubed posted:

Bleah, it's a bumper and I really don't off road or rock crawl much. No need.
What is this word "need" of which you speak, and why is it of any relevance to whether you purchase upgraded Jeep components?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You need a better bumper so next time you can show that pole who is boss.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Any advice on lockers/LSD? I finally have enough money to cover normal off-roading damage to my daily '95 YJ, so I need to go get some new dents. Open diffs seem to be the next obvious thing to tackle. I got stuck spinning my tires after parking with two right tires on a tiny lump of sand in a city alley two days ago and had to slowly dig/rock my way out (even with 4wd enabled before I parked), making my clutch cry in the process :(

Right now I have 30" BFG ATs with stock open diffs (35 rear). Putting anything extra into the apparent ticking timebomb 14-year-old D35 on 30s seems like a waste of money. I'm thinking some kind of mechanical locker on the front may work best so I don't grenade either axle any faster on the asphalt. I don't plan on changing the gearing any time soon since bigger tires would mean a lift and a new axle(s). Would it still be better to just wait for a beefier driveline?

Also completely dumb question proving I don't know much about the actual mechanics of the 4wd system: Would a front LSD chatter around corners with 4wd disengaged? I would imagine not, so maybe a front LSD would also be a good option.

My main issue is that I am moving into a new place with a garage, so I want to start diving in over my head and breaking things. I guess I can start with the rear main seal. :)

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Wranglers don't have locking hubs, do they? I thought they were engaged all the time. A locker or LSD in that situation would be less than ideal. It will make turning a bitch. Almost all lockers I hear of people putting up front are manual, so you can engage/disengage them whenever you want.

Maybe you can find a locker out of a Dana35 that someone else grenaded for cheap.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

ManicJason posted:

Also completely dumb question proving I don't know much about the actual mechanics of the 4wd system: Would a front LSD chatter around corners with 4wd disengaged? I would imagine not, so maybe a front LSD would also be a good option.

It will still chatter. The front will be locked irregardless of being in 4wd or not. It's why most commonly you go with a ARB or something similar in the front.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

You need a better bumper so next time you can show that pole who is boss.

Heh, if i had a hardcore bumper i probably would have bent the gently caress out of my mounts or sheared them off; or bent the gently caress out of my frame. I'd rather lose the bumper.

Scrubed fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 25, 2008

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

What do you think of the new hard top?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Hello all.

Checking in with a 97 ZJ I6 Limited. I bloody love the thing. For how much of a Jeep it is not, it has carried me up some pretty hairy trails (They are probably very light compared to what other consider hairy, but what do I know.) in stock form, next to some Cooper tires. Its main job is a DD, toy hauler to the track and back, and to boot around on.

I do have a question though.
I am going to be looking at a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 in the coming weeks. It is in pretty good shape, save for a few chips on the hood, and tires that need to be replaced. It has 240K KM on the clock, and is owned by the original owner. Is there anything that I should watch out for with these, save for having to wire my bank account to the fuel gauge some how. The 4.0 is pretty gutless when it comes to towing, and this would be fun, and a fun little thing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Scrubed posted:

It will still chatter. The front will be locked irregardless of being in 4wd or not. It's why most commonly you go with a ARB or something similar in the front.

Heh, if i had a hardcore bumper i probably would have bent the gently caress out of my mounts or sheared them off; or bent the gently caress out of my frame. I'd rather lose the bumper.

Yeah, my old jeep had a detroit in the rear and an Arb in the front. It was an reliable setup.

My Hummer right now has no lockers, I got the old school pre 1999 system where with the torsen limited slip diffs. The brakes are inboard [disks are mounted to the output flange of the diff before the cv boot] you can use the brake to distribute torque in a process [brake thottle modulation or constant thottle modulation]. It can work on most vehicles with limited slip but my experience has only been with old hummers and hmmwv's. It works great, but I overheated my braking system the last time I ran 2N17X.

My friends run the detroit [detroit/eaton true track] in the rear and switchable in the front. You can get used to the detroit in the rear, but I don't like it on the front end.

Next time around, probably in the next year, I may switch to eaton e-lockers, they finally released a kit that doesn't require me to buy a new harness and differential.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Leak problem pics.. it is right where my pittman arm goes into the power steering gear box.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

View from the top

Click here for the full 900x1200 image.

View from bottom (lovely camera)

So I have to take out the gear box.. and replace the seal. I imagine if I take my time and follow directions for taking apart the pittman arm.. this should go smoothly.. anything I should look out for.. like screwing up my steering?

..should go out and get more power steering fluid too.. it's getting low.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I spent Friday stuck on the side of the highway, then stuck at a Sears auto-parts in my coworker's 1989 Cherokee 4x4. Seems the water pump pully is toast (wobbles like mad, prob bearings) and tossed the serpentine belt. Obviously after missing work and spending a ton of time dealing with this piece of junk, I offered to buy the thing off him.

So questions. He says hes having the water pump fixed for $250. That seems kind of cheap to me, though I'm basing that off the 16 hours I expected it would have taken me to fix in my friend's driveway. Does that sound reasonable price wise? IE will it actually be fixed as opposed to duct tape repaired?

For an occasional weekend driver is this thing going to be a pain to deal with? I don't care if the wipers break or or whatever, just that its not going to strand me somewhere. Its at 283k but had the 4.0L replaced about 80k ago, clutch is strong, power steering is good, and the A/C still blows cool, and it some how passes smog. Hes the second owner, the first being his mom, so I've got a pretty good idea about the history. What should I be double checking before I hand him the $750 he wants?

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 31, 2008

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I still have this lovely random CEL which throws three codes - Multiple cylinder misfire, cylinder one misfire, and cylinder six misfire. It then falls into limp home mode, and after a quick clearing of codes with my lovely OBDII scanner, it runs fine for another 2-400 miles and then tells me it has an issue again.

It's a 2000 XJ with 183k miles. The previous owner replaced all the spark plugs and wires a few months before selling it with platinum, which I've read can cause... well, that issue.

I've run some Seafoam through it, which let me go almost 700 miles without that popping up, and I've cleaned the plugs and wires.

Now, without telling me the obvious of replacing the plugs and wires, since I'm broke (okay, not broke, but getting low enough that that's not at the top of my priorities) is there anything else I should look at?

I think I brought this issue up earlier in the thread, but if I did, whatever was suggested didn't work.

Tomorrow is dedicated to "Try and fix everything wrong with the cars", so I expect to get up early, spend an hour working on one thing, then giving up and going for a motorcycle ride and enjoying the beautiful weather for the rest of the day.

(Seriously, I hate my cars so much right now.)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
^^
The 4.0L definitely loves basic plugs. Special plugs will make it run worse, so it could definitely be that. Sorry to tell you the obvious, heh.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

MrZig posted:

^^
The 4.0L definitely loves basic plugs. Special plugs will make it run worse, so it could definitely be that. Sorry to tell you the obvious, heh.

Why I oughta... :p

Thanks for the confirmation.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

pr0zac posted:

I spent Friday stuck on the side of the highway, then stuck at a Sears auto-parts in my coworker's 1989 Cherokee 4x4. Seems the water pump pully is toast (wobbles like mad, prob bearings) and tossed the serpentine belt. Obviously after missing work and spending a ton of time dealing with this piece of junk, I offered to buy the thing off him.

So questions. He says hes having the water pump fixed for $250. That seems kind of cheap to me, though I'm basing that off the 16 hours I expected it would have taken me to fix in my friend's driveway. Does that sound reasonable price wise? IE will it actually be fixed as opposed to duct tape repaired?

For an occasional weekend driver is this thing going to be a pain to deal with? I don't care if the wipers break or or whatever, just that its not going to strand me somewhere. Its at 283k but had the 4.0L replaced about 80k ago, clutch is strong, power steering is good, and the A/C still blows cool, and it some how passes smog. Hes the second owner, the first being his mom, so I've got a pretty good idea about the history. What should I be double checking before I hand him the $750 he wants?

A 4.0 waterpump is easy to replace, and around 50 bucks. I guess most of that 250 is labor, even then theres not much to it. 3 or 4 bolts, remove the fan clutch, replace. You could do it easily yourself for ~50 bucks and around an hour of time.

The 4.0 is very easy to work on in fact. Nearly everything is easily accessed and bolts off then back on.

Check the rear main for leaks, you can keep putting oil in or replace it in about 2 hours.

Worst case scenario you part it out and make money. front rear axles transfer case, motor, interior misc stuff, etc etc.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 31, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could I get some opinions on all terrain tires? I have a 99 XJ, live in western New York, so I need very good snow traction. I also manage a campground so I'm on dirt/gravel roads a lot and occasionally go off road. So far I'm considering:

1) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O
2) Firestone Destination A/T
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

I'm leaning towards the Firestones since they're the highest rated and cheapest out of the three at $81 each compared to the others around $105 each. Also I'm wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheels. It came stock with 215's but currently has 225's. Can I go up to 235's for a wider patch without problems? Or am I just better off with 215's for better MPG and cheaper tire?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
the widest you can go on stock with stock lift is 235/75r15. Its what currently on my 95.

I've heard the BFGoodrich's have the best tread life, But I could be wrong.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

DefaultPeanut posted:

I do have a question though.
I am going to be looking at a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 in the coming weeks. It is in pretty good shape, save for a few chips on the hood, and tires that need to be replaced. It has 240K KM on the clock, and is owned by the original owner. Is there anything that I should watch out for with these, save for having to wire my bank account to the fuel gauge some how. The 4.0 is pretty gutless when it comes to towing, and this would be fun, and a fun little thing.

I owned one. They're fast, fast trucks. They're as good as any other ZJ offroad with the right tires. They require premium fuel, and drink it down at about a rate of 10MPG. There is/was a chip that you could get that would detune the engine to run on regular.

Other than that, you have the same ZJ issues as everyone else. Namely the vicious coupling in the transfer case likes to go out, and that's an expensive repair. You might want to look at swapping the transfer case with a NV242 so you can run the Jeep in 2WD or part-time/full-time 4WD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

leica posted:

Tires

I am running around looking for the BFgoodrich KO A/T.. and.. buying tires blows. I've been all around, and no one has the tires. When I ask if they can order the tires, everyone says they will give me a call.

..I still have not recieved a call. Any tips on buying tires.. cause apparently I am clinicly retarted, and don't know the secret to buying stuff.