Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

hackpuppet posted:

Here's a ridiculous one that's been bothering me for a good while -- it's a piano piece actually, no vocals or other instruments.

I think it played during a drama film trailer that was otherwise silent, except for the piano tune. It's fairly simple and slow (and I know I've heard it more than one place so it can't be too obscure) and its defining characteristic, at least from the part I remember, is that there are three low piano notes repeating in the background while the main melody, which is higher pitched, plays over them. It's very soothing, but the fact that it has no lyrics and I can't recall where I heard it, means that I'm stuck on its name.

This is probably not enough to go on, but I really want to hear this one again. It was beautiful :(
What your describing sounds like anything and everything by Yann Tiersen. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2ljWwIaHs

He's famous for doing the soundtracks to Amélie and Goodbye Lenin if that means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Vegastar posted:

In Converge's The Saddest Day around 2:43 theres a riff that I swear I've heard somewhere else before, but I can't for the loving life of me figure out where its from. Any ideas?
You're probably banging your head against a wall here. A lot of old Converge riffs sound like a million other things because they're almost archetypal by now, almost all of the riffs in that song alone have been scavenged by people. The breakdown right before that was probably even done before Converge existed.

quote:

What was that epic instrumental at the end of Obama's speech tonight?
Some song from the Remember the Titans film score. A little google work says "Titan Spirit".

Fiveace Attorney fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 3, 2008

jayzlie
Nov 6, 2002

it's the song that plays in the background of this video...Applications

It's driving me crazy...anyone?

http://lighttape.com/content_news-01.asp?ContentId=316

hackpuppet
Jan 1, 2006
My dreams they've got to kiss because I don't get sleep, no...

Ivan Drago posted:

What your describing sounds like anything and everything by Yann Tiersen. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2ljWwIaHs

He's famous for doing the soundtracks to Amélie and Goodbye Lenin if that means anything.

Well, these are indeed beautiful, so thank you. And this "Comptine d'Un Autre Été" you linked to sounds very familiar as well -- it's quite similar but not 100% the song I was thinking of. That undercurrent of a few notes is what I'm talking about though.

I will probably look through a few of Tiersen's works before deciding that he didn't compose the one I'm looking for. Are there any other songs of his that are widely played in trailers, aside from the one in the link and the Goodbye Lenin one?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

hackpuppet posted:

Here's a ridiculous one that's been bothering me for a good while -- it's a piano piece actually, no vocals or other instruments.

I think it played during a drama film trailer that was otherwise silent, except for the piano tune. It's fairly simple and slow (and I know I've heard it more than one place so it can't be too obscure) and its defining characteristic, at least from the part I remember, is that there are three low piano notes repeating in the background while the main melody, which is higher pitched, plays over them. It's very soothing, but the fact that it has no lyrics and I can't recall where I heard it, means that I'm stuck on its name.

This is probably not enough to go on, but I really want to hear this one again. It was beautiful :(

Erik Satie - Gymnopedie #1?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

hackpuppet posted:

Well, these are indeed beautiful, so thank you. And this "Comptine d'Un Autre Été" you linked to sounds very familiar as well -- it's quite similar but not 100% the song I was thinking of. That undercurrent of a few notes is what I'm talking about though.

I will probably look through a few of Tiersen's works before deciding that he didn't compose the one I'm looking for. Are there any other songs of his that are widely played in trailers, aside from the one in the link and the Goodbye Lenin one?
The one I linked would probably be his most well known piece aside from maybe the title track for Amélie. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have anything playing in any trailers but I don't keep up with that very well. In any event, if you enjoy simply structured songs, Yann Tiersen is up your alley even if it turns out he didn't do the piece you are searching for.

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 3, 2008

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Pweller posted:

What is the song with the lyrics "party til the A.M." "throw my hands in the ai-r, a, a-ir, a-ir..."

I think it might be really well known at the moment since I heard it on the club music radio station I don't normally listen to.

It's Flo Rida - In The Ayer

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

hackpuppet posted:

Ludovico Einaudi - Dietro Casa?

(It's from This is England, not sure if it was used in the trailers though. A beautiful song, either way.)

hackpuppet
Jan 1, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ludovico Einaudi - Dietro Casa?

(It's from This is England, not sure if it was used in the trailers though. A beautiful song, either way.)

It's not Gymnopedie #1 and it's not Dietro Casa either; and I'm still loving both songs either way, especially Dietro Casa. Goddamn, if I have to go through track after track of beautiful piano music in order to find this stupid tune, it's not going to be time wasted :)

Here's something more to go on...I seem to recall that the underlying melody (which was a slight variation on three repeating notes, I'm nearly sure) sounded vaguely like the opening notes of Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0DKOGco_o

And the "overlying" melody, which was more complex, was a bit higher-pitched than some of these suggestions. I'm a few steps away from trying to find an online "piano" program and just give you guys those three repeating notes because they're so stuck in my head.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

hackpuppet posted:

Here's something more to go on...I seem to recall that the underlying melody (which was a slight variation on three repeating notes, I'm nearly sure) sounded vaguely like the opening notes of Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright.

If you've heard it before then I'm pretty sure it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. It also sounds similar to the piece you just posted.

Otherwise try these.
Clair de Lune - Claude Debussy
Nocturne, Opus 27 - Frederic Chopin
Fur Elise - Also by Beethoven

If it isn't any of them then at least you heard some good music v:shobon:v

Edit: Just for kicks.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 3, 2008

hackpuppet
Jan 1, 2006

Jive One posted:

If you've heard it before then I'm pretty sure it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

THAT'S IT. Hell, I must really really suck at music appreciation if I can't even identify Beethoven :doh: (Though I could have told you that it wasn't Fur Elise or Claire de Lune; I love both of those.)

I'm fairly sure I did hear this sonata in a movie trailer once though. From about 0:30 through 0:35 was cemented in my brain for months and it bugged me not knowing where it had come from.

Thanks to everyone who helped me find it! And thanks for the other songs too, I'm saving all the links to enjoy in the future :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, early 90's I think alternative rock band.

The video I'm thinking of has a primarily black and red colour scheme.

The singer has a fairly distinctive, quite effeminate voice and is bald.

Any help?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Three Red Lights posted:

Ok, early 90's I think alternative rock band.

The video I'm thinking of has a primarily black and red colour scheme.

The singer has a fairly distinctive, quite effeminate voice and is bald.

Any help?

Vertical Horizon - You're A God?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

From Earth posted:

Vertical Horizon - You're A God?

Nope thats not it.

The band is playing inside a diarama or something, the singer has an odd girly voice and the general style is slightly overdramatic, in that kind of Placebo/Muse-ish way with campy falsetto.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

Nope thats not it.

The band is playing inside a diarama or something, the singer has an odd girly voice and the general style is slightly overdramatic, in that kind of Placebo/Muse-ish way with campy falsetto.

Shudder to Think - X-French Tee Shirt

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

HorseRotorvator posted:

Shudder to Think - X-French Tee Shirt

Yeah thats it. Except the video in particular I was thinking of was Red House

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I heard a song recently in an 80s bar, although I don't think it's an 80s song, since it sounds more 60s or 70s.

It's a woman singing, and although I can't remember any of the lyrics, the chorus goes something like this

_____, ______, ____ and _____

where the missing words are words that rhyme closely...

For example

"confusion, illusion, ------" however, those are NOT the words.

I appreciate you guys have very little to go on here!

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Sorry this is from ages ago. Haven't checked the thread:

Jive One posted:

I'm willing to bet the title you listed was miscredited and should actually be Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks. The lyric in the song goes "Waterloo sunsets fine" and the two chief songwriters are brothers with the last names of Davis, so it may be this. Waterloo sunset, however, lacks the lyrics you posted so you could be thinking of a different song.

Did you happen to see this site? I can recognize a few of the songs that are listed however I'm not sure which would have the lyrics you posted. From the phrasing I want to say it's The Stooges, but the words themselves don't match up.

Nah, it wasen't The Stooges.

And yeah, that was the site I went to. One of those is the song. I still can't find anything on the band :(

BurningDaeth
Sep 30, 2003
Opinions, particularly mine, are meant to be ignored
I'm looking for a piece of background music from the sex and the city movie

it plays when carrie and big are in bed reading the love letter by beethoven, right when she reads the words "ever thine, ever mine, ever ours" - any ideas?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
OK, this will solve a mystery that has plagued the music center of my brain for years. I would remember the name of the band that did this song if I saw it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is or what the name of the song is. I can even remember everything else about my life when I heard it, and it was even playing over the PA in between bands at an Explosion in the Sky show I went to a couple years ago, but I didn't think to ask anyone what the song was. It's one of those pretentious indie bands from a few years ago...

It starts out with an octave bass line like this...

And later in the song has this melody with male whispery vocals over it...

SOLVE IT, GUMSHOES!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mudflap McDirt posted:

OK, this will solve a mystery that has plagued the music center of my brain for years. I would remember the name of the band that did this song if I saw it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is or what the name of the song is. I can even remember everything else about my life when I heard it, and it was even playing over the PA in between bands at an Explosion in the Sky show I went to a couple years ago, but I didn't think to ask anyone what the song was. It's one of those pretentious indie bands from a few years ago...

SOLVE IT, GUMSHOES!
It sounds vaguely like "I Thought You Were My Boyfriend" by the Magnetic Fields, but v:)v

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pablo Gigante posted:

It sounds vaguely like "I Thought You Were My Boyfriend" by the Magnetic Fields, but v:)v

Just checked it out, nope, it's slower and whispery-er...

Johnny Future
Jul 22, 2007

Saving the cosmos one powerchord at a time

Mudflap McDirt posted:

SOLVE IT, GUMSHOES!

I'm pretty sure that this isn't it, but it's worth a try. It has whisper-y vocals and a similar bass-line.

Come and See - Young Galaxy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkEHvba-GM

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005
What is this song called?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSQZhQq9eY

FR8_lord
Feb 26, 2006

:siren: Lunk Alarm :siren:
ACTIVATED
Hey,

Just saw the movie Babylon A.D. - I wanted to look and see who did the opening song but forgot to look during the credits.

Any help appreciated if you saw it and remember the song?

Thanks.

Orientek
Nov 26, 2003
Durianmunchinks
I have one thats been bugging me for ages.

Heard it in the 80s when I was a kid. Only lyrics that I can clearly remember is the chorus "its going(gonna?) be a hot night tonight...somethingsomething...too hot too hot"

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
what's the song on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSBRWmpc6g
It's been bugging me for a while.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Some of you have probably seen this, but there is now an iPhone application that renders this thread redundant. "Shazam" - Just hold it up to any song that's playing and it'll tell you what it is - usually providing a link to the film clip too.

My friend showed it to me and blew my mind for about the 12th time that week.

Soon they'll be able to do Smells...

LightenUp
Sep 3, 2008

Scream, Honky, Scream.
Ugh.

There's this one song that always plays on the radio. When I hear the very beginning, I think it's 'Werewolves of London', and I'm like, "Sweet, Warren Zevon!", but then when the singing starts and it's some "hillbillies in love" bullshit, and then just when I think it can't get worse, they mention 'Sweet Home Alabama' in the lyrics and then actually start playing the riff from it too, at which point I become so suicidal I slam my breaks on the freeway.

What's the actual name of this horseshit?

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

LightenUp posted:

Ugh.

There's this one song that always plays on the radio. When I hear the very beginning, I think it's 'Werewolves of London', and I'm like, "Sweet, Warren Zevon!", but then when the singing starts and it's some "hillbillies in love" bullshit, and then just when I think it can't get worse, they mention 'Sweet Home Alabama' in the lyrics and then actually start playing the riff from it too, at which point I become so suicidal I slam my breaks on the freeway.

What's the actual name of this horseshit?

This Horseshit is by Kid Rock (who else?), it's called "all summer long"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7T8CRC4TI

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

This Horseshit is by Kid Rock (who else?), it's called "all summer long"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7T8CRC4TI

gently caress.. I know I shouldn't, but I sort of like that song.

I'll just go kill myself.

edit - driving boats on american lakes in the summer time and kissing hot 17 year olds is fun, dammit.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 11, 2008

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

BurningDaeth posted:

I'm looking for a piece of background music from the sex and the city movie

it plays when carrie and big are in bed reading the love letter by beethoven, right when she reads the words "ever thine, ever mine, ever ours" - any ideas?

try this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000774/soundtrack

FR8_lord posted:

Hey,

Just saw the movie Babylon A.D. - I wanted to look and see who did the opening song but forgot to look during the credits.

Any help appreciated if you saw it and remember the song?

Thanks.

i haven't seen the movie but look at this site and you can probably figure it out.
http://www.reelsoundtrack.com/index.php?act=movie_details&id=50293

Orientek posted:

I have one thats been bugging me for ages.

Heard it in the 80s when I was a kid. Only lyrics that I can clearly remember is the chorus "its going(gonna?) be a hot night tonight...somethingsomething...too hot too hot"

Laura Branigan - Hot Night

Elohssa Gib posted:

what's the song on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSBRWmpc6g
It's been bugging me for a while.

Severina - Moja Štikla

PissFilledCumBubble fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 11, 2008

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

mykuhl posted:

What is this song called?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSQZhQq9eY
It's Jerry Goldsmith's main theme from the Rudy soundtrack. The specific title she's using is "The Final Game" but that theme is in nearly every piece on the soundtrack.

Also, the full piece is much more impressive than the little clip she looped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5L0ThLloD8

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 11, 2008

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Ivan Drago posted:

It's Jerry Goldsmith's main theme from the Rudy soundtrack. The specific title she's using is "The Final Game" but that theme is in nearly every piece on the soundtrack.

Also, the full piece is much more impressive than the little clip she looped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5L0ThLloD8

Thank you very much. I tried looking everywhere and couldn't find this song.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Severina - Moja Štikla

Thank you, you are a god, a god of large music knowledge.

wealllovehim
Jun 3, 2005
i love u and u love me too
If anyone has been to Amsterdam this time of the year in 07 they must have heard this song, I was there November 2007 and they pulled it from music video rotation at around the end of the month. Every club I walked by they were blasting this song.
The song has a crunchy bass similar to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyCnanvMEw) and a sorta similar melody except the song I'm looking for was slower, and the bass sounded like it was off timing. The music video featured some slow motion scenes, specifically I remember a TV being smashed and a chick standing around. I'm pretty sure she was singing "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" to the beat. I've tried really hard to find this song but mtvU was no use when I looked a year ago.
The best I can put the melody into words is "dadadadadada da, dundundun dun dun dun"

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

wealllovehim posted:

If anyone has been to Amsterdam this time of the year in 07 they must have heard this song, I was there November 2007 and they pulled it from music video rotation at around the end of the month. Every club I walked by they were blasting this song.
The song has a crunchy bass similar to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyCnanvMEw) and a sorta similar melody except the song I'm looking for was slower, and the bass sounded like it was off timing. The music video featured some slow motion scenes, specifically I remember a TV being smashed and a chick standing around. I'm pretty sure she was singing "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" to the beat. I've tried really hard to find this song but mtvU was no use when I looked a year ago.
The best I can put the melody into words is "dadadadadada da, dundundun dun dun dun"

Bodyrox - 'Yeah Yeah' (f. Luciana)

Awesome song, hope it's the one you're after.

Orientek
Nov 26, 2003
Durianmunchinks

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Laura Branigan - Hot Night

Awesome. Thanks!

wealllovehim
Jun 3, 2005
i love u and u love me too

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Bodyrox - 'Yeah Yeah' (f. Luciana)

Awesome song, hope it's the one you're after.

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this song has plagued my mind the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

There was this song I heard on the PPP CS:S server maybe two years ago that was pretty much some guy reading assembly code out loud. This sounds retarded but it was really awesome. Sadly, I don't know the artist or song name or anything, but I was hoping maybe someone's heard it. I asked a PPP admin and he doesn't know what I'm talking about, and I've googled a bunch with no luck.

:) Help me goons :)