Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here's my desk.

View to show cleanliness of cables:

Cable mounting solution:

Two computers on the left correspond to the monitors (left one is left monitor, right one is right monitor). The one on the far right is a simple fileserver.

I got some new monitors and some speakers (tired of headphones). Also picked up a printer (finally) and a new keyboard and mouse.

Basically the same poo poo as before but new output and input devices.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I got some new monitors and some speakers (tired of headphones). Also picked up a printer (finally) and a new keyboard and mouse.

Sup case buddy? Sportin' the Ultra Aluminus I see :).

Do you not have a table for the printer though? It seems weird to leave it on the floor like that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mugmoor posted:

Sup case buddy? Sportin' the Ultra Aluminus I see :).

Do you not have a table for the printer though? It seems weird to leave it on the floor like that.

Well I just bought the printer the other day so that's where it sits.

My girlfriend and I are (hopefully) about to move into our first house (pending inspection and all that) so I'm not buying any furniture until I know what works and what doesn't.

Basically I'm going to get a new desk soon and put all three computers and the printer on some sort of metal cart next to it. That's the plan at least.

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."

Bucket Joneses posted:

:sweet set up:

any chance of a link on the keyboard?

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Hey Mikael buddy, sweet setup :)

Any chance of more info on the cable management? How does the pegboard attach to the base? I'm crap at things like this :(

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Living like poo poo at work.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Making a road trip to IKEA (closest one is an hour away :() to get a new desk for my apartment tomorrow. Any suggestions or warnings?

edit for image linking failure

glompix fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 10, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oneiros posted:

New hardware and layout, so I figured I'd post again...

Where did you get that stand for your MBP?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I didn't even know it was possible to close the lid on macbooks and use an external display only (hurr dumb mac user).

I don't really know why anyone would want to do that, except for aesthetics and space. Is that why all of you are doing this?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zurich posted:

Hey Mikael buddy, sweet setup :)

Any chance of more info on the cable management? How does the pegboard attach to the base? I'm crap at things like this :(

If you look at this photo you can see that all I did was buy some eyelet screws and drill holes in the desk. The round part of the screw is what stops the board from falling down.

CheeseDog posted:

any chance of a link on the keyboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823227002

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where did you get that stand for your MBP?

It's just a cheap hack I threw together until I think of something better. I took a stamped sheet-metal bookend and stuck the wide foot into a vice and bent it ~60º to form the cradle for the MBP. The long, narrower foot (not visible) extends towards the edge of the desk and provides support. I cut a piece of thin foam to fit the cradle to provide a little cushioning and protection against the metal. The stand is fixed to the desk surface with a few non-permanent adhesive squares (like you use to hang posters and frames).

Sandwiches_Time
Aug 29, 2004

Hey, brother.

Oneiros posted:

It's just a cheap hack I threw together until I think of something better. I took a stamped sheet-metal bookend and stuck the wide foot into a vice and bent it ~60º to form the cradle for the MBP. The long, narrower foot (not visible) extends towards the edge of the desk and provides support. I cut a piece of thin foam to fit the cradle to provide a little cushioning and protection against the metal. The stand is fixed to the desk surface with a few non-permanent adhesive squares (like you use to hang posters and frames).

I just searched Google for "MacBook stand" before I read this, hoping there was some product that did this. You should really sell these things on eBay or something. I'd buy one.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

Oneiros posted:

It's just a cheap hack I threw together until I think of something better.
What could be better?

Sandwiches_Time posted:

I just searched Google for "MacBook stand" before I read this, hoping there was some product that did this. You should really sell these things on eBay or something. I'd buy one.
There's one born every minute...

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
This is where the magic happens. and by magic I mean soul crushing labor / video game research...

edit: I miss the Alps, they were better than my office at school.

G5ANDY fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 10, 2008

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

G5ANDY posted:

This is where the magic happens. and by magic I mean soul crushing labor / video game research...

edit: I miss the Alps, they were better than my office at school.

Are you walking down the mountain from a town called Murren by chance?

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Marzzle posted:

Are you walking down the mountain from a town called Murren by chance?

Yup, I was walking from Murren to Gimmelwald.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
It's obvious from the whole thing how long it's been since I've had time, money, or inclination for gaming.

Click here for the full 1600x1240 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

I made that realization looking at the pictures after I took them for the thread. Also my unadorned cement walls and linoleum floor. Oh well, someday I'll have a few coins to rub together and get some more monitors.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

It's obvious from the whole thing how long it's been since I've had time, money, or inclination for gaming.

Click here for the full 1600x1240 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

I made that realization looking at the pictures after I took them for the thread. Also my unadorned cement walls and linoleum floor. Oh well, someday I'll have a few coins to rub together and get some more monitors.

Just keep drinking that sweet sweet Tecate and life will always be good.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Corbet posted:

Nice lotion.
Why do so many people take pictures of their stack of tissues? I hope it's because they have a cold.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

thegloaming posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to close the lid on macbooks and use an external display only (hurr dumb mac user).

I don't really know why anyone would want to do that, except for aesthetics and space. Is that why all of you are doing this?

I use a super small desk so doing dual displays using my macbooks monitor would be a pain. I do however like using larger monitor and full setup for the keyboard sometimes. I just close the lid, plug it in, and slid it into a cubby under the desktop and go to town.

My Macbook is my one and only machine for regular work so I carry it with me at all times. I don't have an independent desktop.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

natlampe posted:

Why do so many people take pictures of their stack of tissues? I hope it's because they have a cold.
I thought people used dirty socks for that, I've never heard of a real person using tissues

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I thought people used dirty socks for that, I've never heard of a real person using tissues

Tissues are way too thin to have any beneficial effect during the clean-up phase

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SH/SC: Masturbation clean-up techniques

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rock Tumbler posted:

Tissues are way too thin to have any beneficial effect during the clean-up phase
I think it's more for the crying afterwards

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Bucket Joneses posted:

SH/SC: Masturbation clean-up techniques

Wet wipes are win

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Nuntius posted:

Wet wipes are win

I don't know whether to laugh, shake my head, or go out and buy some.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

feld posted:

I don't know whether to laugh, shake my head, or go out and buy some.

Why not do all three?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"Oh hey a bunch of new posts in the desktops thread! Let's see some more sweet setups..."

:gonk:

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Not the best picture, but you get the idea. My work desk is a little cluttered. Actually so is my home desk. I don't know how you guys using Apple keyboards manage. I think we've got five of them here that are sitting in a box somewhere because none of us can stand them. We like our hulking behemoths :D

Ugh...I have a lot of junk I need to get rid of.

Edit: Cable management? What's that?

Z fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 11, 2008

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
For those of you running larger Monitors (speakers, not visual devices) next to your systems, are you powering those through stuff like the other guy's Naim Audio stuff, or is there some other way of driving them I'm unaware of? And I'm assuming you guys aren't running onboard audio :gasp:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Kruzen posted:

For those of you running larger Monitors (speakers, not visual devices) next to your systems, are you powering those through stuff like the other guy's Naim Audio stuff, or is there some other way of driving them I'm unaware of? And I'm assuming you guys aren't running onboard audio :gasp:
Most monitors are self powered. (or are you referring to soundcards? I'm using a M-Audio Delta 66)

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

destructo posted:

Most monitors are self powered. (or are you referring to soundcards? I'm using a M-Audio Delta 66)

Nope, the speakers are what I was wondering about. I didn't realize.

I am looking to get a bit better quality sound system running and hoping to do some audio editing once I move here in the next month or so, so I've scrapped my old computer desk, monitors, and speakers and will be starting fresh, trying to get an idea of what I need/want :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kruzen posted:

I use a MOTU 828 MkII, which is pretty much just an external soundcard and Yamaha HS80M self powered monitors. You'll very rarely see someone using a power amp and passive speakers.

e: disregard previous advice, I missed that you were planning on audio editing.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 12, 2008

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!
I'm running mine through and old monitor and then using the pass through on my signal cord to some old altec lansings.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot
I run my speakers throught a NAD stereo power amp much like someone else in this thread.

The Real Ambassador
Apr 9, 2005

I'll explain and make it plain, I represent the human race.

I'm so cool I have two phones :woop:

(no really, i actually have a legitimate use for them both)

DevlshOne
Sep 10, 2008
My Media Center Setup...

My Primary / Gaming Desktop...

• Asus M2N32-SLI Mobo
  • Athlon 64 X2 6000+
  • 4GB OCZ 800Mhz DDR2
  • 2 x 500GB Maxtor HDD
  • PNY Verto 8800GTS (x2 in SLI-Mode)
  • SB X-Fi Gamer
  • Westinghouse 24.5" LCD

My WHS and Usenet boxes...

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

OneOverZero posted:

loving right it is! I got mine at OfficeDepot (exclusive, I think) for $179 about 18 months ago and have seen them for $99 occasionally. It's the best sub-$350 chair I've used - no wear whatsoever and good lumbar support.

Do you know the name of the chair? This is from page 7. I think I may get one.

DevlshOne posted:

My Media Center Setup...

My Primary / Gaming Desktop...

• Asus M2N32-SLI Mobo
  • Athlon 64 X2 6000+
  • 4GB OCZ 800Mhz DDR2
  • 2 x 500GB Maxtor HDD
  • PNY Verto 8800GTS (x2 in SLI-Mode)
  • SB X-Fi Gamer
  • Westinghouse 24.5" LCD

My WHS and Usenet boxes...

Noone cares about your 2x 500GB Maxtor HDD. You are new here. We aren't Hard forums or whatever.

OneOverZero posted:

loving right it is! I got mine at OfficeDepot (exclusive, I think) for $179 about 18 months ago and have seen them for $99 occasionally. It's the best sub-$350 chair I've used - no wear whatsoever and good lumbar support.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I moved recently, so I'm not fully set up as yet.

Give a couple of weeks or so, and I'll be better placed to post a final shot or two, at the moment, theres wires fk'n everywhere :(

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

DevlshOne posted:

random things

Most of those are not even our desktops. I mean it's in the title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Phillyt posted:

It's this'un. In-store prices are typically about half that around here. :)