Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

The Chaos Pope posted:

Your BIOS is probably defaulting to boot from the WD drive attached to the controller card. Hook up both drives and go into your BIOS and change your boot order.

I have 9 drives in that computer, and while the 9th drive (the 1TB WD) is connected, the system will not go into BIOS, only that drive is connected to the 2p controller card.

After each controller has been loaded, it gives me a blank/black screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I have a ReadyNAS network drive. I also have a Powermac G5:
One Ethernet Port is connected to a WRT54GL running as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge (Tomato). I'd like to connect the ReadyNAS to the second ethernet port on the G5.

In this situation, I really have no idea whats going on. I could connect the ReadyNAS to the bridge, but I'd like to use a wired Ethernet and keep it off the main network (the main router that hands the G5 an IP through DHCP). The WRT54GL is only a 10/100...

Eris Is Goddess
Nov 18, 2000

Does anyone know when the SATA3 components are timelined to come out? I may just hold back on my NASsy purchases until that point, the real-world transfer speeds I'm hearing are just too good.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Finally got around to installing my dns 323. How do I get bittorrent on this? I've updated the firmware to 1.05, but have no clue how to get it working...

There are no instructions that I can find either. Help?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

This community for the DNS-323 should help you. I believe it has information on various hacks for it, including bittorrent installation. This page, in specific, should help you out.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I've been pouring over a lot of these devices for the better part of 4 hours trying to decide if getting one of these makes sense for me.

I'm tired of swapping out dvds to access my data and would like to consolidate my electronics gear, so I'm particularly interested in the D-Link DNS-343. From everything I've read it appears to be just as hackable as the 323, with an extra 2 drive spots, raid5, and ups capability(that's somewhat broken at the moment). It has the same cpu as the 323. funplug is supported as well

So how insane am I to think I could run Raid-5, torrent at about 1.5 megabytes/sec, encryption(true crypt possible?), and send a high bitrate hd file all at the same time?

I'm not going to need high write performance, but should I lower my expectations?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

This community for the DNS-323 should help you. I believe it has information on various hacks for it, including bittorrent installation. This page, in specific, should help you out.

Thanks, I figured it out after racking my brain for like 2 days. It was on the log in menu for the web admin page, but I missed it by pressing enter after typing in my login info, as opposed to clicking on the stupid button. Still, the documentation on this is so sparse, and I feel like an idiot trying to macguyver everything working together.

I already got the NAS working already perfectly. Haven't tried FUNPLUG as I don't really benefit from anything in it. I will likely install TWONKY on this thing, so I may need to get FUNPLUG so I can install everything via telnet.

Love it so far. Good build quality, quieter than I expected. Other than the lovely documentation included, worth every penny.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
Has anyone had any experience with the DNS-343? I was looking for a little bit more storage than a DNS-323 mirrored. Altough, looking at the price differences 2 DNS-323s (4 drives total) that mirror to each other would be cheaper and probably safer than a RAID-5, but I would lose out on one drives' worth of disk space.

I have a 500gb drive that I current mirror to an external drive, but I am completely out of disk space. I would want at least 1tb to work with as a media hub, with redundancy, but more space would always be nicer.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
What is not safe about a raid 5? In both raid 5 and your current setup you can loose up to 1 drive without loosing data. If money is no issue then you could build your own server, or find one that supports raid 6 and use it, that would allow you to loose up to 2 drives. There is no magical storrage without lost space, you just need to find a good balance between what you can afford and what will do the task that is needed.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

McGrady posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the DNS-343?

I recently set up my DNS-343 with four 1tb drives. In the end it yielded 2.7tb of usable space. I have it crossover cabled to my media pc at gig with jumbo frames. Even after tweaking the tx/rx buffers on my nic all the way up, the transfer speeds are still slow-ish. I think I'm getting around 10-15MB/s. I have yet to find anything that definitively states if the raid is accomplished via software or hardware such as an adaptec or promise raid controller.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Evilkiksass posted:

What is not safe about a raid 5? In both raid 5 and your current setup you can loose up to 1 drive without loosing data. If money is no issue then you could build your own server, or find one that supports raid 6 and use it, that would allow you to loose up to 2 drives. There is no magical storrage without lost space, you just need to find a good balance between what you can afford and what will do the task that is needed.

Raid corruption on an off-the-self budget raid box isn't exactly uncommon, which is why I was trying to see peoples' experiences with it. Questions like could I remove the drives and put them into another machine and rebuild the raid5? Stuff like that.

qalnor
Sep 22, 2003

my question implies my answer quid pro vis-a-ergo hoc hominem whores
Any tips on retailers for a system with 6+ SATA ports? I'm thinking of going windows home server, but I want to have as much room as reasonable to grow.

I've found a few motherboards that have 6 or 8 ports, but I'm not quite daring enough to build my own system and I can't find any retailers with barebones kits using an adequate mb.

Thanks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

qalnor posted:

Any tips on retailers for a system with 6+ SATA ports? I'm thinking of going windows home server, but I want to have as much room as reasonable to grow.

Supermicro makes plenty of boards with 6+ sata ports. In reality though it doesn't matter, because a 4-12 port sata card is really quite cheap.

qalnor
Sep 22, 2003

my question implies my answer quid pro vis-a-ergo hoc hominem whores

H110Hawk posted:

Supermicro makes plenty of boards with 6+ sata ports. In reality though it doesn't matter, because a 4-12 port sata card is really quite cheap.

Oh hey thanks, I didn't know there were SATA cards.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
So is it pretty much impossible to have a FreeNAS box running an FTP server exposed to the internet to not get hammered by bots?

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
I posted a while back that I wanted to build a NAS using that awesome Chenbro case, so I bought the parts and finally did it. Here's what I used:

- Chenbro ES34069 ($230). It came with its own power supply and fans for cooling said PSU.
- Intel D945GCLF (mini ITX board based on Atom 230) ($75)
- Kingston Ultimate 4GB CompactFlash ($90)
- 1x1GB DDR 667 ($20)
- IDE-to-CF adapter ($9)
- PCI riser card for Chenbro case ($16)
- PCI wifi card (already owned it, cost about ~$20 iirc)
- Seagate Barracuda 750 GB HDD (already owned it, don't remember the cost)

I installed Win XP Pro on the CF card instead of on a hard disk. I'm not deluding myself here - the energy savings will be minimal at best - but it's something I've always wanted to try, so there you go. All files being hosted by the system (as well as the Windows page file) reside on a 750 GB SATA disk mounted through the front of the case.

A picture showing the rear panel and the side:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

You can probably tell that the PSU and SATA backplane are not in the same compartment as the motherboard. The case doesn't ship with a fan for cooling the motherboard area, so I salvaged a 60mm fan from an old stock Athlon XP HSF. I finally decided to leave it unplugged since it ends up being too noisy when sucking air through the front grille. Been running for over a month now without any case ventilation in the motherboard area and no hitches so far.

Here it is from the top:

Due to the exposed solder points under the IDE-to-CF adapter I glued the circuit to a piece of cardboard, which I then glued to the case using
seal'n'peel.

Here's a close-up shot of the rear panel (the VGA cable was only there for OS installation btw):

The case does not normally have an opening for a PCI card - I guess they assumed that any PCI expansion would be for an internal raid controller or some such. So I had to dremel an opening for my wifi card. I know I could've used a USB tranceiver but the reviews I read left me unsure about the signal quality offered by those devices. Also, I already had a PCI wifi card lying around and the opening provides more options for expansion in general, which is a good thing. The card is quite stable in case you're wondering. It's propped up by the huge cable bundle coming from the PSU, and I secured it to the case with a twist-tie.

Here's a picture of the system in its current resting place. My point-and-shoot doesn't handle anything above ISO 100 very well, but I want to show the LEDs more realistically:

The blue LED on the right indicates power and it stays on. The small blue LED on the left indicates that the HDD in that slot is powered. There is also a green activity LED for each SATA slot but it did not show up on this image.

Picture of the completed system sitting atop my desk:

Overall I'm really happy with the way this went. Cutting the hole in the back was a pain but considering it's my first dremel mod I think it went pretty well. Installing the OS was also a bit unorthodox since I had to temporarily connect a cd-drive with the case open. The OS installation was surprisingly fast though.

Besides the power savings, what I like so much about this thing is that all I have to do is plug it into the wall and hit the power button. No other cables are necessary and I can use it pretty much anywhere in my apartment (it's actually about 25 feet away from my wireless router with two walls separating the two, and windows tells me the signal strength is "very good" with a speed of 54mb/sec). I've set it up to automatically log on and open my SSH tunnel (to circumvent packet shaping by my ISP) and utorrent. I'll probably end up using it as a print server as well.

Modding a d-link NAS is probably more efficient and definitely more cost effective, but I like the flexibility offered by this solution. Also, building stuff like this is just too much fun :). I'd be happy to answer any questions, field any criticisms, etc...

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

maninacape posted:

I posted a while back that I wanted to build a NAS using that awesome Chenbro case, so I bought the parts and finally did it. Here's what I used:
[snip]
Ooh, thanks for the writeup. I've been considering using that case for a new multipurpose box (HTPC, NAS to the rest of the network, general Linux fiddling), but I'd want something a bit more powerful than an Atom. Was there enough room in there for a more traditional CPU+heatsink combo?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Is anyone using OpenSolaris? I have some questions:

• Is there a network-aware package manager yet? Does it have third-party packages? Does it replace smpatch and distribute patches to Sun-supported software? Can I use it to upgrade between releases of the operating system like Ubuntu? Does it replace the BFU patching that people did with SXDE?
  • It seems very desktop-focused. Can you install it headless? My fileserver's BIOS supports serial console redirection, which I would prefer.
  • It seems like Murdock wants to use the GNU tools in Indiana. Are the Sun tools still available somewhere or are they completely gone?

Right now I have a machine installed with Solaris 10, but some software is difficult to find precompiled, and sometimes (my current headache is libtorrent) won't compile at all and attempts result in ungooglable error messages (sigh).

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

maninacape posted:

Do you have a kill-a-watt to see how power efficient is for everyday use? (Couple of movies, backups, torrents, etc.) I'm currently running a 3 Ghz box on unRaid in an old shuttle case which is definitely not meant for 4 drives, which is kind of sad. Do the hard drives keep relatively cool also?

This seems like the product for me in a few months, I'd like to stretch out this computer as far as I can :), and luckily ZFS pools are moveable.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Halibut Barn posted:

Ooh, thanks for the writeup. I've been considering using that case for a new multipurpose box (HTPC, NAS to the rest of the network, general Linux fiddling), but I'd want something a bit more powerful than an Atom. Was there enough room in there for a more traditional CPU+heatsink combo?

The case is quite cramped even with a mini-itx, which is the form factor it was designed for. I've read the Via Nano will be more powerful (capable of HD movie playback, according to Via), and that chip will most certainly be offered in a mini-itx bundle similar to the Atom. Not sure when it'll be available though.

Ethereal posted:

Do you have a kill-a-watt to see how power efficient is for everyday use? (Couple of movies, backups, torrents, etc.) I'm currently running a 3 Ghz box on unRaid in an old shuttle case which is definitely not meant for 4 drives, which is kind of sad. Do the hard drives keep relatively cool also?

This seems like the product for me in a few months, I'd like to stretch out this computer as far as I can :), and luckily ZFS pools are moveable.

I don't have a kill-a-watt, unfortunately. A review of this motherboard (http://www.upgraderguides.com/index.php?type=5&id=77&page=1) has the system-wide power consumption at load pegged around 47W, so that should give you an idea of what to expect. As far a temps are concerned, Speedfan says my (one and only) hard disk is at 28C. That's with an "ambient" temperature reading of 31C (it's actually way cooler than that in my room, I assume that the ambient sensor is reading the temps from around the motherboard which is completely isolated from my hard disk). My room temperature is probably around 18C or so.

The ventilation around the hard disks is quite good. Basically the two rear fans pull outside air through the HD area, and then over the PSU, before directing it out of the case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

vlack posted:

Is anyone using OpenSolaris?

I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but you can almost certainly set up OpenSolaris to be headless the same way you do with Solaris 10.

As for software on Solaris 10, have you checked our Blastwave?

code:
pkgadd -d http://www.blastwave.org/pkg_get.pkg
cp -p /var/pkg-get/admin-fullauto /var/pkg-get/admin
/opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i wget rsync blah
I would also suggest you install SFWcoreu from Sun's Freeware collection(NOT sunfreeware, an unaffiliated site.) It gives you useful things like /opt/sfw/bin/cp (GNU cp.)

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

maninacape posted:

Chenbro case

Wish I could find a stockist in Australia. That's exactly what I was hoping for in a box. Does it fit non atom processors in the same form factor? Or is it really that tight?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Gorfob posted:

Wish I could find a stockist in Australia. That's exactly what I was hoping for in a box. Does it fit non atom processors in the same form factor? Or is it really that tight?
After a bit more digging, this guy seems to have gotten a plain old Core 2 Duo CPU and board working in it. It sounds like the space over the motherboard is mainly limited by whether you put in a slim optical drive or not.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Does anyone know of an atom board with GigE and at least 4 Sata ports? I remember hearing about one when the atom first launched, but can't seem to find one. I guess my best bet is waiting for the D945GCLF2 and putting a cheap 2xSata card in it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

vlack posted:

Is there a network-aware package manager yet? Does it have third-party packages? Does it replace smpatch and distribute patches to Sun-supported software? Can I use it to upgrade between releases of the operating system like Ubuntu? Does it replace the BFU patching that people did with SXDE?
Comes with ipkg, similar to apt-get and cohorts, except it integrates ZFS snapshots for rolling back failed updates and boot environments (a full system update will create a new boot environment based on a snapshot of your current one). Personally, I've like 10 boot environments right now, each representing the system state right before issuing pkg image-update (which updates your system will all the latest repo bits). Been lazy deleting them.

The repo is still kind of empty. All virtually most standard stuff you got with SXCE, minus a few encumbered bits (mostly licensed drivers), are available on it. They're slowly adding stuff to it. I think sanctioned builds of WINE, Transmission, XChat, Songbird and god knows what else are queued for snv_99/100.

Well, as far as patching goes, the repo is currently moving and updates biweekly SXCE style.

quote:

It seems very desktop-focused. Can you install it headless? My fileserver's BIOS supports serial console redirection, which I would prefer.
Disable GDM?

quote:

It seems like Murdock wants to use the GNU tools in Indiana. Are the Sun tools still available somewhere or are they completely gone?
"GNU tools" in Indiana is just /usr/gnu/bin heading the rest of the PATH variable. Remove it and you have all SVR4 tools again.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 11, 2008

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got an external USB hard disk that I'd like to drop into a wireless NAS enclosure. Is this possible to let it run right out of the box or am I basically looking at buying a wireless NAS and copying everything over?

I am completely inexperienced with Linux and would rather not have to learn a new OS just to have a NAS. Am I screwed already?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
My wife is looking to buy me a DNS323 for my birthday. I already have a 500gb western digital and a 160gb samsung. Should I be waiting for a new model or anything before she purchases it?

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Gorfob posted:

When I say "cramped" I mean in terms of surface area, not in height. The case should fit most if not all mini-itx boards. It (the case) actually comes with a rather large CPU heatsink that is designed to fit in the case.

There are Australian chenbro resellers (http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/buy_detail.php?pos=5). Did you try asking them if they know a store that carries it? That's what I ended up doing (I live in Canada).

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

maninacape posted:

When I say "cramped" I mean in terms of surface area, not in height. The case should fit most if not all mini-itx boards. It (the case) actually comes with a rather large CPU heatsink that is designed to fit in the case.

There are Australian chenbro resellers (http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/buy_detail.php?pos=5). Did you try asking them if they know a store that carries it? That's what I ended up doing (I live in Canada).

Digicor don't stock that particular case. I checked them already as one of our servers at work uses a Chenbro case that we got from them. They did say they have had 10 or so enquires in the last week since that post was made. Pretty funny I'm betting they where all goons too :xd: I'll try that other one. I failed to find them in a google search.

EDIT: Todaytech does not stock either. I think I might be resigned to never seeing this case.

EDIT2: Rang Digicor again and said I was from the Department of Education. They scrambled to find me a price. Which sadly is more expensive than getting the loving thing shipped from San Francisco by 30 Australian dollars. God I hate this country sometimes.

Now to find a mini-itx board with 6 sata II ports. gently caress using old PATA crap.

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 12, 2008

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I just got a Buffalo iSCSI Terastation, and was wondering what the best app would be to run some tests on this thing to stress test it over a weekend before I start using it full time. I would really like to get an idea of speed and to just let it run over a weekend at full burn before I start using it full time. I have OS X, Windows, and a few linux VM's kicking around so testing platform's aren't really an issue.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Cross posting from the Parts Guide.

Boris the Blade posted:

I'm going to be assembling an external HDD and wanted to get opinions on a good dual-case enclosure. I only have a laptop, so the only connection would be USB2.0. However, I wanted to try and get an enclosure with eSATA so when/if I ever get a desktop, I'll be able to use eSATA instead. Not a necessity though. Would there be much of a performance gain anyways? I don't know about RAID and all that, so I was probably going to use JBOD for the enclosure. Is that a wise decision?

Here are the choices for enclosures I like:

Galaxy METAL GEAR DualBay Series 3538UEP-Black Aluminum 3.5" Black USB & 1394 External Enclosure - Retail

VANTEC NST-400MX-SR Aluminum 2 x 3.5" Black USB 2.0 & eSATA Dual Bay External Enclosure - Retail

Rosewill RX82-U (JBOD) 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0 "Removable" Duo-Bay External Enclosure - Retail

Any suggestions? Should I be looking into something else? I tried reading through the NAS thread, but that is way beyond what I'm trying to go for.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Does any body else's DNS 323 go absolutely crazy for no reason?

I mean, all computers that have access are off, but the thing's blinking activity lights go nuts like somebody is copying over stuff.

Makes me wonder if someone else isn't accessing what they shouldn't. Is there a way for me to find out who is accessing my DNS 323 and what is being accessed?

My DNS isn't modded, but I want to make sure everything is secure, obviously.

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005
HOW MANY RED TITLES DO I HAVE TO HAND OUT BEFORE YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP CLOSING THREADS IN SH/SC?
Do you have the media servers running. Because they index every so often so that could cause the load. I have not really paid attention to mine but I figure thats what it was doing one time I kinda looked over at it like ... "what are you doing little nas?"

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Does anyone know if three really is the minimum number of disks in a linux software raid 5 setup? It seems that with two it would just resemble a slow, overly complicated mirroring setup. I ask because NCIX always has a limit of two on most of their hard drive sales and wouldn't mind spreading the cost out.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

sund posted:

Does anyone know if three really is the minimum number of disks in a linux software raid 5 setup? It seems that with two it would just resemble a slow, overly complicated mirroring setup. I ask because NCIX always has a limit of two on most of their hard drive sales and wouldn't mind spreading the cost out.

... You're aware that Raid-5 requires a drive's worth of parity, correct? without three drives, there isn't really any way to create redundancy. I mean, yea, under software raid 5 you could probably make two half-drive partitions on each drive and make a 4 "drive" "raid-5" but you don't get any redundancy above a mirrored setup. You lose one drive, you're hosed because two "drives" died. Why exactly would you want to do this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A two disk RAID5 is a mirror. A XOR Nothing = A.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Thanks. I wanted to end up with a four disk RAID 5 setup wanted to start with the cheapest setup I could. I realize it looks like a crazy question because I always assumed parity was distributed across the disks, not on a dedicated drive.

Is it just me who thinks it's weird that there isn't a widespread standard for distributed parity and multisized volumes? You should be able to throw a 1TB and a 500GB drive in a system and get 500GB of usable space. Throw another 500GB in and it should go to 1 TB.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

sund posted:

Thanks. I wanted to end up with a four disk RAID 5 setup wanted to start with the cheapest setup I could. I realize it looks like a crazy question because I always assumed parity was distributed across the disks, not on a dedicated drive.

Is it just me who thinks it's weird that there isn't a widespread standard for distributed parity and multisized volumes? You should be able to throw a 1TB and a 500GB drive in a system and get 500GB of usable space. Throw another 500GB in and it should go to 1 TB.

You have misunderstood. Do me and yourself a favor, read over the OP and hit the section on raid-5. there's no parity DRIVE, but that doesn't just mean you can build it with two. THAT IS A MIRROR, just overly-loving-complicated because rather than a straight copy on drive failure, you have to recalculate the loving parity, and that's even if most software and hardware raids would LET you do it, which to my knowledge they don't because as stated it is stupid, and also pointless. Get 4 drives, build your array when you get them.

edit: and in response to the bottom part of your post, Raid-5 can survive a single drive loss, because the parity is distributed. Your plan would involve making 2 logical drives on the 1TB, and if that goes, then how many drives have you lost? TWO. Ergo, NOT a good idea. That's why you're not supposed to do it.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I have some questions regarding My First Little RAID setup. For over a decade I've fared well not using any other backup system than CD/DVD-RW. Now however as a few months ago I broke two external eSata drives, and according to hddguru, my 200 gb seagate is on the verge of destruction (I tested it with Victoria 4.2, and it had around 900 blocks with "tio" over 200 ms). I am a bit afraid of losing my useless data.

Now, I have an AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard, which has two SATA1.5 ports and support for RAID-0 and 1. My OS is XP Home.

At this point I have three hard drives: a 200 gb seagate PATA drive(main drive), a replacable WD Mybook USB2/eSATA (Backup/data carrier) and a 750 gb Seagate SATA drive(currently it houses all the data backup I have).

Because money is kind-of-tight, I thought I could achieve cost/redundancy balance by following method:
-Replace the WD Mybook
-backup everything to the Mybook
-get another 750 gb Seagate
-set the two to RAID 1
-reinstall windows
-copy everything to the RAIDed drives from the mybook

Now, I need to know a few things:

1. Is the data recoverable if the motherboard dies or do I need another one exactly the same? Can I connect either of the drives to another motherboard in either RAID or IDE mode?
I was ready to do the migration to RAID a few days ago, but my sister's bf told that "he heard from someone that if the motherboard is fried then you'll need another one just like that to recover the data". I thought that it concerned only the RAID systems that split the data on many drives instead of just pure mirroring, but I'm unsure of it now.

2. Does anyone have any experience on the VIA PT880/DriveStation software? People at ViaArena were reporting bluescreens, instability etc.

3. Is there anything else to prepare except have everything backed up, switch RAID on in BIOS, install XP and offer the RAID drivers during installation?

After the RAID operation I'll probably use the extrernal drive and 200 gb seagate for random off-site backuping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
that sounds like a fine idea and while it's theoretically possible, i've migrated raid-1 and even raid-0 and raid-5 systems from onboard raid controllers on different motherboards so you should be okay. Especially with Raid-1, it's essentially just a split datastream at the chip level, so both should work just fine.