Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
Goddamnit, I knew there was a reason I'd stayed out of this thread for so long, now I want another Jeep.

My old 90 Cherokee was the best vehicle I've ever owned, well, at least the most fun. Everything was wrong with it and I just couldn't keep it as a daily driver anymore so I wound up trading it in. I wish every day since that I'd kept it and just bought a daily driver as well. Sadly I didn't, and still don't, live anywhere that I can have two vehicles.

That said, I've been thinking about getting a new Jeep. I'm afraid though, do the new ones still feel like Jeeps? Specifically I'm thinking about a Wrangler Unlimited, either an X or a Sahara (don't have the need nor do I want to spend the money on a Rubi). I saw that ZippySLC (my former 1990 Cherokee Limited buddy) said his Unlimited Rubi doesn't feel like one but I've heard otherwise elsewhere. I'm going to go test drive one but I'm afraid it won't give me a good enough impression. Being that I'll be getting a slower, larger vehicle with less gas mileage mostly for fun I want to be sure.

Stupid Jeep, I wish I'd never owned one; it's a disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Grater posted:

Stupid Jeep, I wish I'd never owned one; it's a disease.

It sure is. Sadly this hurricane is probably going to dump a shitload of rain on Friday and Saturday, so I wont be able to fix the Cherokee. I was even going to have my friends younger brothers over to help me. One of them is 15 and has caught the Jeep bug. He is getting a free explorer from his grandma and wants to use the money he would have spent on a DD on an offroad vehicle instead. Hopefully I can get him focused on a jeep.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tiananman posted:

I haven't heard anything catastrophic - though I am a little wistful that they replaced the straight 6, but at least they replaced it with something that had more hp and torque. I don't have any illusions that it will be quite as bulletproof, but it's under warranty for another year, which might give me enough time to work through any major problems.

I've been reading the Edmunds reviews and they are not favorable at all. Not worth the risk to me. Too bad, because it looks great and people are saying it drives great. But lovely Chrysler service, transmission and other problems scare me off big time. :(

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

leica posted:

I've been reading the Edmunds reviews and they are not favorable at all. Not worth the risk to me. Too bad, because it looks great and people are saying it drives great. But lovely Chrysler service, transmission and other problems scare me off big time. :(

I don't know, the reaction to the JK puzzles me, I think it's a decent rig, I almost picked one up but decided to wait until I paid off my current truck first. The jeep community on some forums are split, some hate the JK and I think many reviews online will reflect that. My friend custom ordered a short wheel base JK and never had any issues with it.

Another issue is that you're seeing more people buy the JK and not taking it off road at all [I'm seening plenty of JK's in LA with big rims and some that are slammed] which must piss the enthusiasts off.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

BigKOfJustice posted:

Another issue is that you're seeing more people buy the JK and not taking it off road at all [I'm seening plenty of JK's in LA with big rims and some that are slammed] which must piss the enthusiasts off.

Yeah- it's pretty sharp looking in comparison to some of the boxier model years.

Mine's black with tinted windows and with the clean alloy wheels I definitely feel like someone from the Wire when I'm driving around Baltimore. Hopefully I'll get it a little dirty when I'm camping next week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

I don't know, the reaction to the JK puzzles me, I think it's a decent rig, I almost picked one up but decided to wait until I paid off my current truck first. The jeep community on some forums are split, some hate the JK and I think many reviews online will reflect that. My friend custom ordered a short wheel base JK and never had any issues with it.

I was refering to the '05 Grand Cherokee....Although is it close to the JK? Same motor/trans?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Which model has replaced the Cherokee ? Please tell me it's not the Liberty.

HR
May 14, 2007
Recreational Paranoia is the Sport of Now
Ok I know this is a little bit off camber(ha), but where have ya'll been wheeling?

Here:
The slab(til it closed)
The Den
West Texas and the Big Bend
Las Cruces

Want:

Black Bear(if it is still open)
Moab
Rubicon
etc.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

duep posted:

You could say the Liberty is the succesor to the XJ. When the XJ was retired the Libery took the Cherokee sized hole in the lineup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

You could say the Liberty is the succesor to the XJ. When the XJ was retired the Libery took the Cherokee sized hole in the lineup.

But there will always be a Cherokee-sized hole in our hearts.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BigKOfJustice posted:

That and the 4-door model. Pssh. ;)

I keep my JK Rubi covered in mud or dirt and am loathe to put the top on now that it's getting colder here. With the hardtop on, I'll look like every other stock JK around. :(

On the other hand, I'm near the point where I have to take her in for her 5000 mile check-up and I haven't had any issues with anything. I love my JK more than I ever loved my TJ and, I've said it before, I totally dig all the fancy options. Doesn't mean I won't put her through her paces though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

I have almost 20K miles on mine (2 dr) and its been great! I love taking it out to the desert and seeing some other jeeps out there too. Ive seen quite a few JKs out there as well, so people are using them.

What I havent seen is a lot of people (other than Rubicon owners) doing anything to their X's and Unlimiteds. People seem to be leaving them pretty stock.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

duep posted:

Unfortunately yes. Anywhere that's not the US, it IS the Cherokee.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/cherokee/

For the US, they made a quick name change post 9/11 :911:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
My trusty old 91 Explorer Sport with nearly 250K miles has started to get tired with the insane amount of driving that I do, and when the old mule of an engine that is the 4.0 started to chatter at me on cold startups, I decided it was probably time to get something more reliable. I was also pretty tired of servicing TTB hub assemblies at least once a year or every time the axles took a swim, and the hard-to-find M5OD trans was getting pretty sloppy.

I've been eyeing Jeeps more and more over the past year, and given that they're pretty much the only 4x4 that is still built to be simple and rugged with few BS features, I started thinking that this was the ticket. I wanted the 4.0 and a manual transmission, and didn't want to pay for the depreciation of a new vehicle, which left out the JK.

Ultimately, I ended up with this guy:

2004 Wrangler Sport 4.0 5-speed, 40K miles.

As another poster earlier said, "when you find the right Jeep, it speaks to you." I took this one out on a two hour test drive, and everything about it felt great, and it rode much better than I ever expected a Jeep to ride. The 4.0 and 5-speed combo was smooth and I love the straight six buzz.

Unfortunately, the last owner knew nothing about gearing, and as a result, the guy decided to have the Wrangler modified with a 2.5" BB and slapped 32x11.50 BFGs onto axles with 3.07 gears.

This was almost a deal breaker, except for the excellent maintenance record kept by the previous owner, and the dealer's willingness to put the Jeep up on the rack and prove to me that the D35 wasn't trashed and had no internal play. The performance isn't as bad as you'd think, but I'll likely go down a size or two with the tires when these are worn out, or possibly swap in a D44 and match the gears on the front, but not any time soon.

After two months of owning this Jeep, I really have no complaints. People stare more than I'm used to, and it's a little noisier than most other trucks I've owned. Otherwise, it's exactly what I wanted out of a truck - basic, rugged, and reliable.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 12, 2008

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have been lurking for 7 or so years, and since I finally decided that the ads are more annoying then spending 10 bucks, I will ask your opinion on a 2004 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 and select trac. It has no options that weren't standard, appears in clean condition, has 44K miles, and I can buy it from a dealer for $9,500. My question is are there options offered that I can't or shouldn't live without? I am in Indiana so trail use will be limited, but winter driving and rural driving will be frequent. The price is not great, but I don't think it is terrible, but your opinions on that would also help me decide if I should pull the trigger or look for something else.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sindow posted:

RIP boxy cars of the 80's. :patriot:

My favorite part about that is that when I go to build my roof rack I can use square tubing and it will match. No need to bend anything to shape.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Well no one tried to talk me out of it, so heres my new $500 1989 XJ.

Now to get it some new tires and figure out where to take it. (Oh god, what am I getting myself into)

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 13, 2008

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Now to get it some new tires and figure out where to take it. (Oh god, what am I getting myself into)
gently caress yeah.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

pr0zac posted:

drat what a steal, it looks really clean. What's the mileage? Auto or manual? Also you don't see many with the spare tire mounted on the back, I wish mine had that option.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I would have bought it for $500 and I already have a Cherokee. As for what to do I think you should stick with the theme and put a junkyard lift on it and wheel the hell out of it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

leica posted:

drat what a steal, it looks really clean. What's the mileage? Auto or manual? Also you don't see many with the spare tire mounted on the back, I wish mine had that option.

Its at 238k, though Duncan said the engine was replaced 80k ago, which is surprising. Either way it still pulls strong. Its a stick, and yeah the rear tire is awesome. Only issues are a small crack in the top of the coolant reservoir and the driver side seatbelt latch doesn't work. Also gotta seafoam it this weekend and try and get it smogged.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 13, 2008

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

This would normally go in the ebay for sale areas, but this is more of a question for the forums.

I found this 1977 Cherokee S on ebay, the current bid was at $400, but the reserve had not yet been met. I decided that this truck, in running condition was worth at least that. So I called the fellow and drove out to see it.

The guy was at work, but he gave me good directions to see the truck. Here are some pics:

Its not in bad shape. Its a 4 barrel carb 360/auto/q-trac. The battery was dead, and my jumpers didnt transfer enough juice to get the engine to crank over fast enough to start, so, ill have to take the guys word that it runs great.

The radiator was dry, but the guy said its a leaky water pump and he will repair that before its sold. It also leaks a little oil, from where I am unsure.

So I was rather happy/excited about the possibility of taking this chero home. In my experience this truck in running shape is worth about 1000 bucks.

It needs:
Oil leak fixed
Water pump replaced
Air cleaner assembly and air filter
tailgate window fixed (stuck in the down position, and the key nor the paint match, so its much be off some other truck)
Tag brought up to date (kansas tag expired since July 07)
Windshield is cracked
Tailight and bulb is busted out on the pass side
Interior is shot, but mostly there.
Lots of wiring work under the hood/behind dash

On the way home I get a call on my cell, its the owner. We talk about the chero for a bit, and at the end I ask him what the reserve is. He said $2500.

:aaa:

I asked him, to be sure, if he meant 2500 dollars. He said yes.

I politely explained that I could find a MUCH better chero, in full working condition for that much, and declined wishing to buy his truck.

Am I off base thinking that is way too much for this thing? For craps sake, I couldnt even get it to run!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, you could do better for less. Those fenders and rockers look like replacements. Any other big rust areas?

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

leica posted:

Could I get some opinions on all terrain tires? I have a 99 XJ, live in western New York, so I need very good snow traction. I also manage a campground so I'm on dirt/gravel roads a lot and occasionally go off road. So far I'm considering:

1) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O
2) Firestone Destination A/T
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

I'm leaning towards the Firestones since they're the highest rated and cheapest out of the three at $81 each compared to the others around $105 each. Also I'm wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheels. It came stock with 215's but currently has 225's. Can I go up to 235's for a wider patch without problems? Or am I just better off with 215's for better MPG and cheaper tire?

Dueler's are loving horrible tires. I drive a Wrangler with 30 Yokohama Geolandar A/T's and they're great tires for moderate off-roading. I do a lot of hunting and towing of boats and they have never let me down, God damned aggressive tread, too.

edit: I have a Goodrich T/A as my spare.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Anyone know how the heck to tighten the parking brake on an XJ? It looks like theres supposed to be some sort of adjustment screw on the back drums, but looking around last night I couldn't find the thing. Probably need to go grab a Haynes manual.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

BFG ATs are the best tires ive ever owned.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

pr0zac posted:

Anyone know how the heck to tighten the parking brake on an XJ? It looks like theres supposed to be some sort of adjustment screw on the back drums, but looking around last night I couldn't find the thing. Probably need to go grab a Haynes manual.

Follow the parking brake cables up to above the rear driveshaft. You'll see where the two cables attach to this bracket, and there are two nuts holding it onto a long threaded piece that comes out of the ebrake hole in the floor. Tighten that up, but be careful not to get it too tight.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jack_Handey posted:

Follow the parking brake cables up to above the rear driveshaft. You'll see where the two cables attach to this bracket, and there are two nuts holding it onto a long threaded piece that comes out of the ebrake hole in the floor. Tighten that up, but be careful not to get it too tight.

Thank you for this. My parking brake is working for the first time in over a year. The strange thing is that I was just staring at that exact part the other day without knowing what it did other than "something to do with brakes".

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
talk me out of a 48 2A for $500. These things seem to get much higher prices. I could get it running, fix some rust, and weld on a new frame horn and have a fun little MV clone or stock Jeep to drive when it is nice. The Mv place I used to work at has a ton of civvie parts that we have stripped off. These thingscare dead simple and I would consider myself a master mechanic as far as their specifics go.

I'm selling a motorcycle for $400ish. Convince me not to turn that money into a jeep project.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been having a couple issues with my 99 XJ and was wondering if some of you guys could help me sort them out.

For some reason, whenever the A/C or heat is on, the electric fan turns on then off every 20 seconds or so, non stop and does not stop until I turn off climate control. Is this normal? Because it's it's really loving annoying.

Lately the rear brakes have seemed very touchy, especially when cold, very little pressure on the pedal makes them almost lock up on gravel. I need to sort this out before snow starts falling.

During cold starts, it's been taking longer and longer to get the motor fired, and once it fires, the idle is noticeably rough until the engine warms up, almost like it's missing. I'm thinking a new battery will fix the starting issue (the one in it now is old) but I'm not sure what's up with the rough idle because it hasn't been doing it until recently.

And last, I'm tired of the gauge cluster with idiot lights (SE model) and want to get the cluster with real gauges, probably one off a sport or something. Is it plug and play, and will the digital odometer be showing my Jeep's mileage or the Jeep that I took the gauge from? My Jeep has pretty low mileage, I don't want to magically double it if I don't have to.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 17, 2008

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

leica posted:

For some reason, whenever the A/C or heat is on, the electric fan turns on then off every 20 seconds or so, non stop and does not stop until I turn off climate control. Is this normal? Because it's it's really loving annoying.

Most cars with AC and electric fan do this. Besides this, many vehicles cycle the compressor at a longer interval in some of the heating positions to remove condensation and keep the system circulating throughout the year. As for the exact positions that will switch on the compressor, it seems random from one manufacturer to another, and I don't have an XJ.

quote:

Lately the rear brakes have seemed very touchy, especially when cold, very little pressure on the pedal makes them almost lock up on gravel. I need to sort this out before snow starts falling.

Same with my TJ, and I attribute this to lack of ABS, but I'm interested in trying pads made of different material when I change these. They stop grabbing after the first few applications. Do yours continue to grab? If you do have rear ABS, it may not be doing its job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

incredibull posted:

Most cars with AC and electric fan do this. Besides this, many vehicles cycle the compressor at a longer interval in some of the heating positions to remove condensation and keep the system circulating throughout the year. As for the exact positions that will switch on the compressor, it seems random from one manufacturer to another, and I don't have an XJ.

Same with my TJ, and I attribute this to lack of ABS, but I'm interested in trying pads made of different material when I change these. They stop grabbing after the first few applications. Do yours continue to grab? If you do have rear ABS, it may not be doing its job.

I kind of understand it when the A/C is on, but the HEAT? I just don't get it. Any XJ owners get the same thing?

And as far as rear ABS, I don't think I have it, unless it's standard on the SE which I highly doubt. And they do grab at the first few stops, after that it goes back to normal.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

leica posted:

I kind of understand it when the A/C is on, but the HEAT? I just don't get it. Any XJ owners get the same thing?

What I was trying to say was that it may be cycling the AC when you have the heat on, which is done by many vehicles to remove condensation and prevent window fogging. If the compressor is running, the fan will be cycled on.

Try your heat settings and listen under the hood to see if the compressor is being cycled.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--gxWmJ6po

I have a sudden urge to put a "Canyon Man" decal on the rear window of my Cherokee.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
The other day, my valves, rockers or something in the valvetrain started clacking loudly under moderate load (it goes away under heavy and under very light loads) and its been doing it ever since. The oil is fine and it sounds most like a sticking valve to me, which would make sense as every single 4.0L my family has owned has had sticking valves to some degree or another (it never hurts anything, just loud).

It's starting to piss me off though, so what would be the best way to go about trying to get rid of it besides Marvel Mystery (which actually does work for a lot of things, because its essentially ATF with additional additives)?

On an additional note; sometimes when sitting at a light, with either the clutch in or the vehicle in neutral, the engine will start to get rough and buckjump a bit. It doesn't really clack while doing this, but this is usually also characteristic of a sticking valve.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I'm new to the Jeep 4.0, but it's my understanding that they're pretty much all prone to some valve train noise, even when operating perfectly. Since I've started paying attention to other Jeeps, I've noticed that almost every one I see ticks a bit. Mine ticks occasionally, but I couldn't care less; the engine will probably last forever.

I've heard that stock 4.0 rockers aren't particularly strong, and are the cause of some of the common noise in these engines. If you really want to throw money at it, there's roller rockers that fit the 4.0: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/roller_rockers.html

That would definitely help this little beast spool up a little quicker too.

If your noise is excessive, it may be worth it to pull the rocker cover to check valve train clearance and have a look at the condition of the rockers.

For cheaper solutions, you could try stepping up to a heavier oil weight, or try a higher quality oil if you aren't using a pure synthetic oil already.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

incredibull posted:

For cheaper solutions, you could try stepping up to a heavier oil weight, or try a higher quality oil if you aren't using a pure synthetic oil already.

I know firsthand how the 4.0L will never die*, my father's Comanche has 300k on it now and the engine still doesn't have any problems. I also know valve-train noise to some degree or another is a guarantee (I haven't seen a 4.0L yet that didn't clack at least a little), but this is particularly loud. Thinking more on it, I think it may be due to carbon buildup in the valve-guides. Does anyone know if seafoam will get that or will I need some other means to get it out, should that be the case?

*An old trick with the old L-Head 4 Jeeps when you had to seat new valves but didn't have the means to; you could pour baking soda into the intake and it would actually cut a rough seating into the valves. Not perfect but it worked. Don't ask me how I know that this still works on the 4.0L (no, it doesn't have to do with my current situation).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MetalClawWolf posted:

It also leaks a little oil, from where I am unsure.

That's the built-in chassis lubrication system. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

The King of Swag posted:

Does anyone know if seafoam will get that or will I need some other means to get it out, should that be the case?

Seafoam could, but you run the risk of dislodging a chunk large enough that may get stuck in the valve seat and cause you to burn a valve. I know this isn't entirely likely, and I've never had anything remotely like that happen to me. I'm just personally very paranoid about using Seafoam on an engine that is suspected to have heavy carbon buildup. If you think it's that heavily gunked, it might be safer to pull the head to do your cleaning and valve inspection.

This really boils down to how much work you want to do, and how serious you suspect your valve problem really is.