Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.
Ok, question time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remove the lovely foam insulation leftover on the roof of an E30 when you pull out the headliner? Secondarily, what is the consensus on permanently shutting the sunroof? Welding or just riveting/epoxying something in place? This car will be track-duty only, and occasional ventures onto the autocross course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

maxallen posted:

No, sounds like the shadowline trim was only the ZHP. I've got stock chrome window trim and kidneys. I think but I'm not sure that the chrome slats are only chrome on the edges, not inside, which is why I think one of the ebay "Full chrome" ones would be too showy.

Yup. The E46 330i and Ci all got chrome trim. The 325i/Ci had black. A popular mod is to order 325i "shadowline" trim pieces and swap them.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

My '90 535 has been having a lot of trouble accelerating lately. It is giving me code 1222. So I checked the fuel pressure and I am only getting 25psi. I pulled the pump out of the tank and look what I found.

How does a fuel pump crack like that? I have never seen anything like it before.

Sorry for the poor quality but I did not want to get my nice digital camera near all the gas I spilled everywhere

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

multiprotocol posted:

Ok, question time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remove the lovely foam insulation leftover on the roof of an E30 when you pull out the headliner? Secondarily, what is the consensus on permanently shutting the sunroof? Welding or just riveting/epoxying something in place? This car will be track-duty only, and occasional ventures onto the autocross course.

I used a heat gun to make removing the foam easier. Had it all off pretty quickly then used goo gone to remove any residue.

For the sunroof I think most people are just welding it, that is what I plan to do. I can't find the thread on E30Tech but I think they shaved as much weight off of the sunroof plate as possible then added some metal stock around the edges to center it and add some rigidity then welding it in there.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

maxallen posted:

The gently caress... I just walked out to my car, someone stole the passenger side kidney grill. Nothing else. It wasn't smashed or anything like that, it was pulled off the bodywork. I'm not sure, but it may not have even been violently taken. I'm so confused.
I've seen the grilles get so bad on E38s that they just fall off. I'm not doubting your story, but anything's possible.

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

How does a fuel pump crack like that? I have never seen anything like it before.
Considering the car's almost 20 years old, if it's the original pump it's way past its prime. Running the tank down to "E" a lot could stress the pump.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2008

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

I used a heat gun to make removing the foam easier. Had it all off pretty quickly then used goo gone to remove any residue.

For the sunroof I think most people are just welding it, that is what I plan to do. I can't find the thread on E30Tech but I think they shaved as much weight off of the sunroof plate as possible then added some metal stock around the edges to center it and add some rigidity then welding it in there.

Time to hit Harbor Freight for a heat gun that will likely leave me with 2nd degree burns while using it. If you find that thread, post it in here. I seem to recall having seen something on there, but I can't find it either.

I am lining up a manual steering rack for my E30. Hopefully the M52 swap won't make it a complete bear to run around a track. The benefit is not having to worry about your PS pump exploding or PS fluid boiling from overwork while on the track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

multiprotocol posted:

Time to hit Harbor Freight for a heat gun that will likely leave me with 2nd degree burns while using it. If you find that thread, post it in here. I seem to recall having seen something on there, but I can't find it either.

I am lining up a manual steering rack for my E30. Hopefully the M52 swap won't make it a complete bear to run around a track. The benefit is not having to worry about your PS pump exploding or PS fluid boiling from overwork while on the track.

Or park it outside in the sun with the windows up on a hot day...poor mans heat gun :)

As for the power steering I pulled the pump and looped the lines, haven't had any issues.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Adnuo posted:

My E46 key fob died a week ago. does anyone know of clever ways to open the keys and somehow replace the battery, possibly with a non-rechargeable one?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510

This guide should be quite valuable to you. It shows you how to take it apart (not quite as easy as using a screw driver to pull apart, but not impossible,) what battery to replace it with, and generally where to find it. Good luck.

maxallen posted:

The gently caress... I just walked out to my car, someone stole the passenger side kidney grill. Nothing else. It wasn't smashed or anything like that, it was pulled off the bodywork. I'm not sure, but it may not have even been violently taken. I'm so confused.

E: Looks like they tried to take the other one and failed. The gently caress.

The plastic clips on the grills can get very brittle over time. Mine fell out while I was driving actually. I weighed all the options and decided the OEM one at the dealer wasn't very expensive. The aftermarket one seem to be fairly low quality, and the OEM does have the painted sections on the inside. I thought the blacked out, CFed out, and SOUPA CHROMED out all looked a little cheesy, so I actually bought two brand new grills. You don't notice how rough the chrome looks on one, until you put a brand new one on the other side.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I found pictures of some guy with an E36 vert harttop. Was this a factory option? I've never seen one.

A bunch more pictures of his car are at

http://www.idon-industries.com/bimmer/bmwsyndikat/(01-35).jpg

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

Was this a factory option? I've never seen one.

I believe so, I've seen it on several E36 verts locally. Pretty clean IMO.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
So it's time for a new clutch for me. What else should I replace at the same time, and how much should I expect labor to cost at a reputable shop?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

So it's time for a new clutch for me. What else should I replace at the same time, and how much should I expect labor to cost at a reputable shop?

Well, since the gearbox has to come out, maybe replace all the transmission seals. Also, the rear main seal will be right there when you pull the trans so it can't hurt to change that. How many miles/how old is the car?

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD

CornHolio posted:

I found pictures of some guy with an E36 vert harttop. Was this a factory option? I've never seen one.

A bunch more pictures of his car are at

http://www.idon-industries.com/bimmer/bmwsyndikat/(01-35).jpg
Yup, it's a factory option. It's removable, not a folding hardtop. If all goes well this weekend I'm going to drive out and pick one up for my own convertible for $700. Normally they go from $1200 to $1900 for a new one online.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Brock Landers posted:

Well, since the gearbox has to come out, maybe replace all the transmission seals. Also, the rear main seal will be right there when you pull the trans so it can't hurt to change that. How many miles/how old is the car?

It's a 1999 93,000 mile M3.

I won't be doing the replacement since I'm at school.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

It's a 1999 93,000 mile M3.

I won't be doing the replacement since I'm at school.

If you're going to be replacing the clutch, you should also go ahead and do the other stuff. Or pay someone to do it, whatever. The point is that while you've got the living heart of the beast cored out, might as well go ahead and do some elective surgery while you're in there.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

multiprotocol posted:

If you're going to be replacing the clutch, you should also go ahead and do the other stuff. Or pay someone to do it, whatever. The point is that while you've got the living heart of the beast cored out, might as well go ahead and do some elective surgery while you're in there.

Right, I realize this. I'm just asking if it is normal for there to be massive extra fees for things that are very minor to do while the tranny is dropped or not. If it wasn't during the school year, I'd certainly attempt this myself and do everything, but I don't want it to get too expensive.

Basically, I'm looking for additional things to replace that won't add a boatload to labor costs and can be done while the clutch is being replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Right, I realize this. I'm just asking if it is normal for there to be massive extra fees for things that are very minor to do while the tranny is dropped or not. If it wasn't during the school year, I'd certainly attempt this myself and do everything, but I don't want it to get too expensive.

Basically, I'm looking for additional things to replace that won't add a boatload to labor costs and can be done while the clutch is being replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

If you go to a reasonable mechanic, there won't be. Replacing a couple of seals on the transmission shouldn't be that much.

What kind of mechanic are you taking it to? Someone who specializes in BMWs and runs his own little shop, or a place that does Porsche/MB/BMW/Audi and could be called the Garaj Mahal? I've found that the latter are usually willing to work with you on things like this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Friendly reminder: Replace your cabin filter folks!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

That is straight funk nasty, man.

In other news, I tossed in the understeer.com shortshift kit into the wife's 323 today. I coupled it with a ZHP shift knob and changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple's Synchromax to help ease the increased shift effort. It is, in short, a HUGE improvement.

Question for those who get their Inspection IIs done at the dealership: does fresh BMW "lifetime" tranny fluid make for notchy, stiff shifts? This car had an Inspection II about 4k miles before we bought it, and the diff and tranny fluid were changed. But the effort required to shift was notably high, especially when the transmission was cold. It is much, much, much better with the RP fluid.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sterndotstern posted:

I coupled it with a ZHP shift knob and changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple's Synchromax to help ease the increased shift effort.

I'm thinking about giving RP a try since I'm not all that happy with Redline MTL, but are there any local places that stock it, or did you have to order it online?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

They're supposed to be replaced at least every 15k with the oil.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

...did you have to order it online?

Nah, the Checker/Schucks/Cragen stores in my area carry it in stock. You can hit up their website, it has a dealer locator which should help you locate a retailer in your area.

While I use all Redline fluids in my race car, I've found that the RP products are notably excellent for street cars, particularly BMWs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mad Dragon posted:

They're supposed to be replaced at least every 15k with the oil.

The cabin filter? really?

I just bought the car 25k miles ago, and change the oil every ~6000 miles, the engine air filter every other oil change, and planned on changing the cabin filter every other year since I rarely use the air.

BmwM3AF
Mar 2, 2008

by angerbotSD
Finally got some stuff done, a lot more coming..
-Coilovers
-Sways
-Front bumper / strass lip
-Eyelids (may keep, donno)
..hood, mirrors, skirts and trim soon..hopefully rims too.
The handling is amazing!

before:

after:

wooh

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Finished fixing the fire damage today :woop:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I noticed the wife's Mini's exhaust was hanging kind of low, and wasn't supported AT ALL all the way up to the front of the car.

Looks like the bracket that goes around the muffler is broken.

This is what its supposed to look like (apparently, I emailed the tech guys 'cause my bracket looks completely different).

The entire bottom piece is gone, and it looks like the upper piece is, too. It broke ABOVE the bolting points. Looks like rust may have weakened it significantly, though I think my wife went over some railroad tracks a bit quickly as well.

Looks pretty easy to replace, but parts were like $75 from Pelican Parts. :(

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 23, 2008

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

BmwM3AF posted:

You now look like a hooligan. :)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I noticed the wife's Mini's exhaust was hanging kind of low, and wasn't supported AT ALL all the way up to the front of the car.

Looks like the bracket that goes around the muffler is broken.

Jesus. I've seen better looking exhausts on 13-year old E34s.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mad Dragon posted:

Jesus. I've seen better looking exhausts on 13-year old E34s.

Road salt really hasn't treated it well.

Funny thing is, my E36's exhaust looks a lot better too.

edit: crap, I cancelled my order because I found the following diagram, which shows my exact bracket. Apparently I have a 'sport' OEM exhaust, even though I don't have an S. Looks like its welded to the muffler or something:

So now I need to figure out if the one brackets I found will work with my exhaust. I did find a new vendor though, that had pictures of the brackets and everything! (Pelican Parts had it as a non-returnable special item): www.minicarparts.net .

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 23, 2008

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

Finished fixing the fire damage today :woop:

Dang dude, you just slide that in there with no pics or anything? Congrats, BTW, good work.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

Road salt really hasn't treated it well.

Maybe I'm super-ghetto, but can't you just take it to Midas or whatever to get a new hangar welded on?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Dang dude, you just slide that in there with no pics or anything? Congrats, BTW, good work.

I'm taking it out in a little bit and I'll take some new pics :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

Maybe I'm super-ghetto, but can't you just take it to Midas or whatever to get a new hangar welded on?

This is probably what I'll do, now that I found out my hanger was welded to the muffler rather than being a second bracket like I originally thought.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I bought an 02 530i last week and it had a weird problem yesterday where I was driving along with the cruise control at about 75 on the highway and all of a sudden the cruise turns off, the traction control light turns on, and it says "ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG". About 5 seconds later everything goes back to normal. I drive home the rest of the way just fine, and when I get there, I turn the car off, and when I turned it back on right afterwards to make sure everything was ok, it said ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG again and the engine wouldn't turn over.

This morning, though, it's fine.

I already made an appointment at a BMW dealership to get it checked out, but anyone know what this could be?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG

Sounds like it could be a cam sensor. The car has two and can run OK with one. Dealership will be able to pinpoint it with their diagnostic scanner. If it is the cam sensor, the part isn't terribly expensive (less than $100 IIRC) and they are easy to install.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm taking it out in a little bit and I'll take some new pics :)

Just got back from driving it for the first time since fixing it and let me tell you, I've never been so nervous driving a car. But it did drive fine...

I'm worried that whatever caused the previous fuel pressure reg. to fail will happen again and I have no idea where to start if that happens...

I forgot to take pictures, sorry :(

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

I forgot to take pictures, sorry :(

You son of a bitch. Do you have an extinguisher in the car yet?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

You son of a bitch. Do you have an extinguisher in the car yet?

Yes I do!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Doublepost, but with pictures!

Scorch mark on the inside, nothing on the outside, thankfully.

The tow truck hosed up my fog lights :(

My recovered back deck :)

My new co-driver! (with lovely driver seat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Awesome

Wow, nice work. Looks like it never even happened (well, except for the scorch marks). Did E30s come with those insulating pads that go on the underside of the hood? If so you might be able to scrounge one up in a junkyard and it will be like the fire never happened.

And for that fire extinguisher try and find one of those brackets to mount it to the passenger's seat. That's the best solution I've seen for carrying an extinguisher, though maybe other's can chime in.

Also, I hope you posted these pictures on the E30 forums that were telling you to rebuild the entire engine.