Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's an awesome album cover, at least. i loved everything up to and including Now, Diabolical, but the My Skin is Cold EP was really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROIDTECH
Jan 22, 2001

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Megaman posted:

Does anyone know any other bands like Azrael? I cannot get enough of their recent 2 albums Self and Goat, I need more experimental black metal music with tritones and 5/4 and 7/8 time signatures. I also listen to Ondskapt, anyone have suggestions?

Deathspell Omega's "Kenose" and "Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum" both have a lot of tritone use and are pretty avant-garde compared to many other black metal acts.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Mordekai posted:

I really can't get exited over a new Satyricon album. The last ones plus My throne is cold (sp?) was really uninteresting. But you never know...

K.I.N.G was an alright song. I'm not too excited about their upcoming album, but I'll check it out in case there's a surprise or two there. I learned not to write off a band entirely after Amorphis released their last two albums.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
I've read through this whole thread, and some of the suggestions have been awesome. Walknut, in particular. I'm loving the song on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/walknutband). Anyone have any similar stuff that's along the same vein?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's an awesome album cover, at least. i loved everything up to and including Now, Diabolical, but the My Skin is Cold EP was really boring.

I haven't read the black metal threads in a while, but I must be the only person that liked My Skin is Cold. It's the first thing I've really liked from them since Nemesis Divina, even if it is 100% different.

Also, I heard Nachtmystium for the first time on GBSFM tonight and liked it a lot. Where's the best place to start with them?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 3, 2008

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I haven't read the black metal threads in a while, but I must be the only person that liked My Skin is Cold. It's the first thing I've really liked from them since Nemesis Divina, even if it is 100% different.

I too thought My Skin is Cold was decent and I'm one of those people who have hated everything they've done after Rebel Extravaganza (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who regards that album as the best thing they've released)

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE
You're not. :)

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Also, I heard Nachtmystium for the first time on GBSFM tonight and liked it a lot. Where's the best place to start with them?

I would start with Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1, and then work backwards. Instinct: Decay and the Worldfall EP are both awesome as well. Good choice!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I checked the latest few pages of NMD and the SA mart, and couldn't find anything worthwhile, sooo...

I'm looking for a reliable US based store to pick up a 1349 t-shirt or two. I've checked eBay, but I'm not a huge fan of buying bootleg, and the only merch partners listed on the 1349 site are in England and Norway. I'll pay the $40 to have a shirt or two shipped from there, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Any good links?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Abyss Records in Indianapolis should have 1349 stuff. I've never bought from them though, so can't vouch for them.

http://www.officialabyssrecords.com/

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Nice, thanks. I gave them a call and they guy answered like it was his loving house, "Yeah?" Good prices though, and the shirt I was looking for.

Hmm, I'll keep looking, and taking suggestions.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000

corpsed posted:

I've read through this whole thread, and some of the suggestions have been awesome. Walknut, in particular. I'm loving the song on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/walknutband). Anyone have any similar stuff that's along the same vein?

Early Drudkh, "Rainchants" by Skogyr, and if you REALLY like Walknut and can handle extreme rawness and minimalism it would be worth checking out anything from Forest, which is probably the most Walknut-like of Kaldrad's past projects.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Avant Gardening posted:

there's samples of it on here: http://www.aquariusrecords.org

i was worried that this was going to be a gimmick, but it's excellent. for being another bedroom bm act it is somehow incredible and new.

ordered. this is the motherfucking filosofem II i've been looking for.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
By the way, if no one noticed, Pyha (Ruined) or 폐허 however you want to say it, is basically from a Korean (north or south, it's rather ambiguous because it doesn't seem to be agreed upon) fourteen-year-old. What the hell.

It's not bad either!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

So, I play WoW and someone I play with just told me about this black metal band who did a couple songs based on WoW. I gotta say, I really dig them. Its by a band called Sorg Uten Tårer its called "For the Horde" and they also do a song about the Warlock class called "The Demonologist."

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygoVl6LWII&feature=related

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, I play WoW and someone I play with just told me about this black metal band who did a couple songs based on WoW. I gotta say, I really dig them. Its by a band called Sorg Uten Tårer its called "For the Horde" and they also do a song about the Warlock class called "The Demonologist."

here's the link

I was expecting crap for a song based on WoW (given the other bands that are) but that's actually really good.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 13, 2008

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, PYHA's stuff is really... depressing. It's like Gris without all the French smarm. Listening to it and thinking about how he's now serving in the N. Korean in the first steps of what will probably be a terrible adult life, I just can't help but feel all :smith:.

I really want to buy this CD in hopes of some of the proceeds going to him, though I know it probably won't. Still, a CD this... peculiar... belongs in my collection.

edit-- Oops didn't realize the last post was mine too... double post woop.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Absolutely a must for any fan. :colbert:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

here's the link

BUT BUT BUT IDEOLOGY

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Totally agree, it has amazing quality. I actually did do an audio rip of it.

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that are as good.

edit: spelling.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 18, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Unacknowledged posted:

Totally agree, it has amazing quality. I actually did do an audio rip of it.

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that is as good.

:can:

I don't really want to get into this anymore, but seems like they're just a band you love or love to hate. I don't agree with or even understand most of the criticism they get, but to each their own I guess.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Wow, PYHA's stuff is really... depressing. It's like Gris without all the French smarm. Listening to it and thinking about how he's now serving in the N. Korean in the first steps of what will probably be a terrible adult life, I just can't help but feel all :smith:.

I really want to buy this CD in hopes of some of the proceeds going to him, though I know it probably won't. Still, a CD this... peculiar... belongs in my collection.

edit-- Oops didn't realize the last post was mine too... double post woop.

Do you have any links to his stuff, like a MySpace page?

Because I'm finding record reviews for a 14 year old Korean musician, and the Princeton Youth Hockey Association. I'm thinking that it's by the former, though black metal done by the latter would be just as :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

Do you have any links to his stuff, like a MySpace page?

Because I'm finding record reviews for a 14 year old Korean musician, and the Princeton Youth Hockey Association. I'm thinking that it's by the former, though black metal done by the latter would be just as :black101:

https://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi/keyword=pyhahauncd

That'll take you to a page with samples. Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Unacknowledged posted:

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that are as good.
The ambient stuff is boring to me, and their metal sections, while decent, aren't exceptional, yet we get bunches of people gushing over them and being really shocked that others might not be as amazed by the band.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mudflap McDirt posted:

https://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi/keyword=pyhahauncd

That'll take you to a page with samples. Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

OK - This is great stuff. I'm going to have to order this. Thanks for the link!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

Can one get frostbite in korea?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

Can one get frostbite in korea?

Yes.

In your soul.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Qu Appelle posted:

Yes.

In your seoul.

WOW

well done

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Unacknowledged posted:

I think it's because they're poo poo.

Saying that it's one of the best albums you've ever bought really doesn't mean anything without some sort of context, for all we know you own 5 albums and the other four are even worse than this one.

There is plenty of black metal out there better than Wolves in the Throne Room though.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

Agreed. It's awesome to see Infernus and Gaahl together on stage. Actually, this is one of my favorite lineups of the band in general. Also love the Kvitrafn shots between the toms. So evil.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

MrBling posted:

Saying that it's one of the best albums you've ever bought really doesn't mean anything without some sort of context, for all we know you own 5 albums and the other four are even worse than this one.
though.

Well I own the first two Dragonforce albums, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I got a recommendation for you clowns. It's Fimbultyr! I read a really positive review of their debut album and I went to check it out. They are ostensibly a folk-metal band but I see it as kind of a black metal version of Amon Amarth. Check out their DongSpace page for details. It's not nearly as jaunty as the "folk metal" tag would have you believe. From what I've heard it's probably among the top black meatal releases this year.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

i got it last night. i knew i had to order it when i saw a lot of the tracks from under the sign of hell on it. hearing gaahl doing Profetens Åpenbaring was amazing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Agreed. It's awesome to see Infernus and Gaahl together on stage. Actually, this is one of my favorite lineups of the band in general. Also love the Kvitrafn shots between the toms. So evil.

I just really hope what I've read is right, that Infernus hasn't written much and King and Gaahl have been taking more of that on in the last few years. The whole two band thing is gay enough but to think both might really suck without the other...

It's also kinda depressing to think the Gaahl band might not be able to play the pre-Destroyer songs anymore, but I don't know how that sort of thing works.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

I just really hope what I've read is right, that Infernus hasn't written much and King and Gaahl have been taking more of that on in the last few years. The whole two band thing is gay enough but to think both might really suck without the other...

It's also kinda depressing to think the Gaahl band might not be able to play the pre-Destroyer songs anymore, but I don't know how that sort of thing works.

If I remember right, I think King and Gaahl have been doing most of the writing for the last two or three albums. You can really tell; I think everything post-Destroyer has moved away from the classical music influenced BM into more of the "Second Wave" sound. Case in point would be the industrial elements of Incipit and guttural overdistortion of Twilight.

I registered an account on the Gorgoroth forums, and the cool thing there seems to be hating on the Gaahl/King incarnation. Honestly, I don't get it. Not only do I think that they've produced some of their best works with Gaahl, I think that he specifically is one of the better vocalists in the genre. I haven't heard any legal discussions that haven't been centered around the Grieghallen fiasco, so I'm not sure what kind of copyrights Infernus will be able to secure either.

In any case, this band is easily in my personal top five BM bands (with any lineup), and I don't mind admitting that I'm a complete Gorgoroth slut. Florist, I'll extend your original invitation regarding the DVD from any fan of the band to any fan of BM in general. Seriously, pick it up.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mudflap McDirt posted:

There is absolutely no way PYHA is from North Korea.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

If I remember right, I think King and Gaahl have been doing most of the writing for the last two or three albums. You can really tell; I think everything post-Destroyer has moved away from the classical music influenced BM into more of the "Second Wave" sound. Case in point would be the industrial elements of Incipit and guttural overdistortion of Twilight.

I registered an account on the Gorgoroth forums, and the cool thing there seems to be hating on the Gaahl/King incarnation. Honestly, I don't get it. Not only do I think that they've produced some of their best works with Gaahl, I think that he specifically is one of the better vocalists in the genre. I haven't heard any legal discussions that haven't been centered around the Grieghallen fiasco, so I'm not sure what kind of copyrights Infernus will be able to secure either.

In any case, this band is easily in my personal top five BM bands (with any lineup), and I don't mind admitting that I'm a complete Gorgoroth slut. Florist, I'll extend your original invitation regarding the DVD from any fan of the band to any fan of BM in general. Seriously, pick it up.

I have to agree with you, I think the band really improved once Gaahl joined. Him singing his predecessors' songs improves them leaps and bounds, and I think Infernus learned to play better over the time as well so even the music sounds better now. The Gaahl albums are my favorites, and frankly I really liked the direction Ad Majorem was going.

Not that I think there's any chance of it happening, but how awesome would it be for them to have Abbath take Infernus' spot in the Gaahl/King band :black101:

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Kaiho posted:

There is absolutely no way PYHA is from North Korea.

From someone who lived in Seoul for two years, I must completely and utterly agree with you. It takes years for people in South Korea to get a permit see their relatives in North Korea, and usually they get about 2 hours to spend with each other. So bascially, if this had somehow snuck it's way out of North Korea, Kim Jong Il would be feasting on his intestines in front of a large crowd to dissuade others from trying this cultural export tomfoolery.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

You don't even get a day off from work in north korea, unless it's for the country's birthday. And even then, people usually only get that once in their lives. Ain't no metal coming out of the beroved reader's territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do 14 year olds work? Wouldn't this guy just record after school like any teenager?