Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
I decided yesterday to stop living like poo poo yesterday, so I cleaned my desk and cables up a bit. Trust me they were a lot worse and not tied at at all before. I dunno how some of you can stand working with so much poo poo all over the place.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobleclem
Apr 13, 2005
HOW MANY RED TITLES DO I HAVE TO HAND OUT BEFORE YOU PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP CLOSING THREADS IN SH/SC?
Before

After

Upgraded to a new iMac.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

jmmtn4aj posted:

Why?

It was £1800 (that's pounds sterling) haggled down from £1900 and it has had more problems than I would expect a £400 Dell to have.

To this day I still don't know what came over me to buy it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Chopper posted:

It was £1800 (that's pounds sterling) haggled down from £1900 and it has had more problems than I would expect a £400 Dell to have.

To this day I still don't know what came over me to buy it.

Heh, I had a horrid experience with the FJ-series (which I bought for the same price as a school-discounted IBM T60). The thing was filmsy as hell (not to mention underspec'ed) and the fan died within a year. I thought the QC problem was only afflicting the China-made Sonys though, SZ is still made in Japan right?

It's a shame, Sony used to make some really nice laptops.. like in 2000 :(

damn you grandpappy!
Dec 4, 2003

For my birthday I got this poorly photoshopped Jewday cake, and a lick of Funky's penis.
This thread has motivated me to do something about my cable situation at home. I move my computer semi-regularily, so I'm gonna have to find a spare DVI/VGA cable to bring along with my crap when I do move it.

I'll post before/after pics when I am done. I might also change the desk.

Just posting to say thanks for motivating me to stop living like poo poo! (And working like poo poo I have a lot of spare time today, I'm gonna arrange all the wires on our workbench so that it looks nice, while the workbench is still empty.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

glompix posted:

New desk! New speakers! Living on the edge of poo poo

Finally found a picture of my old setup. This desk sucks. It's really cheaply constructed, the wood warps at the slightest wetness, and putting speakers or a laptop on there is extremely awkward. Also having your computer in your living room is usually a bad idea.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
How do you guys switch between video inputs like computer / xbox? Do you need special monitor specs to run xbox games?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

How do you guys switch between video inputs like computer / xbox? Do you need special monitor specs to run xbox games?

You can get a VGA cable for the 360, and lots of monitors have component or even HDMI inputs.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
lovely cameraphone picture alert! It doesn't help that I brought in a traditional light because the fluoerescent lighting gave me a headache. This is my work setup, at home the 'office' never really gets used.

Dell 24" primary (left), lovely Acer 19" (right) for outlook, IMs, seeing what's up with media player.

Martbear
Jul 14, 2006

Whee!
lovely work desk (messy because I don't feel like cleaning up), my apologies for the awful picture.

I'd like to steal an LCD, but this CRT works fine and I (almost) have enough space on this desk to do homework.

Dr. Fred
Jun 14, 2000

Mierdaan posted:

lovely, lovely camera phone pics.

Living like poo poo under the desk, but the rockin new chair totally makes up for that.

Hello there.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
^^^ what type of chair is that? It looks super-awesome-comfy!

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Mephistopheles posted:

^^^ what type of chair is that? It looks super-awesome-comfy!

http://www.hermanmiller.com/mirra/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So we're currently stuck living in a studio apartment (we = my wife and I), but that doesn't stop me from cramming as much poo poo into/onto my desk as possible.

I just rigged up the 3rd monitor today (it's the one with a frame. I framed it planning on using it as a digital picture frame and mp3 server running media center, but we ended up using that computer to watch tv shows on the hdtv). The little thing with the clock on it is my Fujitsu tablet on an Ergotron notebook desk mount. The 20" and the non-framed 17" are on an Ergotron dual LCD desk mount.

The framed 17" is just kickin' it on the shelf, and I mostly use it to display slideshows, show Flickrvision fullscreen, or display rss feeds and stuff. I'm planning on getting one of these to stick it to the wall over there. That way it can sit up against the wall like a hanging picture, but when I need it I can pull it over and angle it down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lookin 4 sk8r boi
May 7, 2006

by elpintogrande

mutata posted:

So we're currently stuck living in a studio apartment (we = my wife and I), but that doesn't stop me from cramming as much poo poo into/onto my desk as possible.

What kind of desk is that? I really like boxy desks and yours doesn't have wood hanging off the top like the other ones posted here.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lookin 4 sk8r boi posted:

What kind of desk is that? I really like boxy desks and yours doesn't have wood hanging off the top like the other ones posted here.

It's a MIKAEL from a couple years ago. I don't know if they're like this anymore. It has a vertical bit that goes with it (with shelves and brackets and poo poo), but I just didn't buy it. For a particle board Ikea desk, it's lasted a good long time and held up brilliantly.

Edit: Here it is! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10111489

and the totally retarded add-on that you shouldn't buy: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70111486

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Dr. Fred posted:

Hello there.

Black looks nice. I like.

lookin 4 sk8r boi
May 7, 2006

by elpintogrande

mutata posted:

It's a MIKAEL from a couple years ago. I don't know if they're like this anymore. It has a vertical bit that goes with it (with shelves and brackets and poo poo), but I just didn't buy it. For a particle board Ikea desk, it's lasted a good long time and held up brilliantly.

Edit: Here it is! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10111489

and the totally retarded add-on that you shouldn't buy: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70111486

Oh man, the black-brown is gorgeous. This is EXACTLY the kind of desk I was looking for, thank you so so much! I'm glad to hear it holds up well, I've heard bad things about Ikea. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lookin 4 sk8r boi posted:

Oh man, the black-brown is gorgeous. This is EXACTLY the kind of desk I was looking for, thank you so so much! I'm glad to hear it holds up well, I've heard bad things about Ikea. :(

It's far from a work bench, and I'd personally be wary of standing on it, but I've had it for a few years now and there's just minor wear and tear.

I've even disassembled and reassembled it a couple times.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Moved into my student digs last week :)

Mikael that I got for £15, Galant drawers that don't fit anywhere, random shelf, living like poo poo (need to borrow some cable ties from my housemate), stacks of design magazines, Wacom Bamboo, usual stuff.

Oh, and the comfiest chair you've EVER seen from Costco.

Some polishing left to do but I like my setup so far, the Mikael is a nice desk.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

mutata posted:

It's far from a work bench, and I'd personally be wary of standing on it, but I've had it for a few years now and there's just minor wear and tear.

I've even disassembled and reassembled it a couple times.

I regularly climb on top of mine to reach a cubby behind it. It's pretty sturdy (then again, I weight like 130lbs)

syphon^2
Sep 22, 2004
I cleaned up a bit, then went to take the pic. I felt bad that my MacBook Pro was being left out, so I threw it on my desk, even though it's not doing anything there. I also wanted to show off my new Hazro HZ24Wi monitor.

Click here for the full 1406x980 image.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

syphon^2 posted:

I also wanted to show off my new Hazro HZ24Wi monitor.
When I was monitor shopping a few months ago Hazro made me sad that I'm American :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some of you guys have really small/cramped desks. I'm currently moving into a new apartment and figured to get a nice and larger desk. After scanning the thread, I kind of feel now like I went a little overboard with buying this monster. (Wow, I just came back from Ikea and bought exactly the same paper tray and bin, without having actually looked at this product picture before. What a coincidence.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A desk can never be too big (within reason).

syphon^2
Sep 22, 2004
I agree. If you have the space for it, a desk can never be too big.

Try living in a cramped London studio, and then you'll come to appreciate a desk you can take apart and fit in a tiny Peugeot hatchback when you need to move. :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some of you guys have really small/cramped desks. I'm currently moving into a new apartment and figured to get a nice and larger desk. After scanning the thread, I kind of feel now like I went a little overboard with buying this monster. (Wow, I just came back from Ikea and bought exactly the same paper tray and bin, without having actually looked at this product picture before. What a coincidence.)

See my post above, I don't really have a small desk, but I would still kill to have the space for that desk you just bought.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, it's huge and cool, but it threw over my placement planning of my stuff in the living room. It's a bitch to fit in a corner. The doors and radiators are really misplaced IMO. Then again, I'll be moving out again soon, anyway (possibly some mold problem). :v:

Here's the desk actually set up (without computers, I'm not done renovating).

Clicky

mutata posted:

See my post above, I don't really have a small desk, but I would still kill to have the space for that desk you just bought.
140cm, what the description says, is a decent width. My old desk was also 150cm and plenty wide, but since I needed a new one, I figured to get something larger, that can also hold some documents and my laptop.

--edit: Old one for reference.

Clicky

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 21, 2008

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."

Combat Pretzel posted:

looking sweet as! even without the computers :)
i have been inspired by your lamps my current workspace is too dark!

definitely have to post up the post-renovation set up

kidgloves
Jul 2, 2004
does anybody have anything that doesn't suck? I'm moving w/ (some) budget, need something professional looking with 2-3 places to sit, hanging displays, etc. Some of the posts are nice setups for a single PC or two, but I work from home and need something a little more high-end. If you post a pic, please include the name of the furniture components and if you remember, what you paid.

dum2007
Jun 13, 2001
I may be the victim of indigestion, but she is the product of it.

Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and finally got the workstation of my dreams.

3 Linux PCs, Macbook Pro and an AppleTV hooked up to two extra displays and a set of Logitech Z5500s. Everything is controlled with one keyboard and mouse over Synergy. Only one of the linux machines runs Gnome, the other ones are accessible over ssh & vmware server console.

I bought the desk at Staples for about $150! I thought it was a real bargain. It's not 100% sturdy but the rails along the bottom make for excellent cable management.

I really need a new chair though...

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Going to apologize in advance as I am terrible at taking pictures, and this camera is ancient. No printer as it's connected via ethernet to the wireless DD-WRT (Buffalo) router. I think the desk was around $200 at Office Depot:

Desk:

Click here for the full image.

Receiver, desktop, non-operational boxes being rebuilt, speakers:

Better view of desk (ignore the HTPC mess at the bottom we just moved it all and hadn't bothered to hide it yet):

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just moved into my new uni house. So pretty tidy for once.
Small desk though so I don't know where to put my macbook and my xbox 360 is under the desk which is probably really bad for it :(

lovely phone pic too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

kidgloves posted:

does anybody have anything that doesn't suck? I'm moving w/ (some) budget, need something professional looking with 2-3 places to sit, hanging displays, etc. Some of the posts are nice setups for a single PC or two, but I work from home and need something a little more high-end. If you post a pic, please include the name of the furniture components and if you remember, what you paid.

http://www.milk.dk/
MILK

Aluminium desk, height adjustable, invisible wiring through the desk itself, flush compartments that can store devices, or suspend an aquarium or frosted plexi wastebasket.

http://www.suck.uk.com/product.php?rangeID=55&showBar=1
The Villain Chair:

http://www.multiplexpc.com/Quadplex-HZ-Quad-4-Monitor-Array-p/qmmahz.htm
The Quadplex Multi-monitor array. (loaded with 24" lcds)

Or

Dual-Monitor display arms. (I actually have these and they're awesome)
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/MultiMonitorMounts/tabid/159/ctl/Product/mid/545/PRDID/134/language/en-US/default.aspx

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dum2007 posted:

Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and finally got the workstation of my dreams.

3 Linux PCs, Macbook Pro and an AppleTV hooked up to two extra displays and a set of Logitech Z5500s. Everything is controlled with one keyboard and mouse over Synergy. Only one of the linux machines runs Gnome, the other ones are accessible over ssh & vmware server console.

I bought the desk at Staples for about $150! I thought it was a real bargain. It's not 100% sturdy but the rails along the bottom make for excellent cable management.

I really need a new chair though...

Sup same desk buddy. I have the same one at home, and like it quite a bit. Of course my computer pooped the matress a long time ago and my fiances desktop is barely passable, so it doesn't get much use right now.

The nice thing about it is if the top ever gets too screwed up, just get a big piece of MDF or something sturdy and screw it down.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mutata posted:

A bunch of awesome poo poo

That chair is the only thing upfront about its price, and that's £4,500. You can buy a brand new Perodua Kelisa car for £300 more.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Horace posted:

That chair is the only thing upfront about its price, and that's £4,500. You can buy a brand new Perodua Kelisa car for £300 more.

Yeah but you can't swivel in place while stroking a cat in a car. Well it would probably be unsafe to, anyway.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
This thread makes me sad. My inlaw's computer just bit the dust so I gave them my desktop.
The only thing I have to show is my work office.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

On top: Dell XPS1530
On bottom: Latitude D830(Clarkconnect4.3 standalone w/VMWare server)

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

mutata posted:

Dual-Monitor display arms. (I actually have these and they're awesome)
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/MultiMonitorMounts/tabid/159/ctl/Product/mid/545/PRDID/134/language/en-US/default.aspx

Found these on Amazon for $200. Sold. God that's hot, its like a scene out of Grandma's Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!
More cube warriors representin

Bedroom setup (Macbook Pro hooked up to TV)