Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyone know what tune the greaser vamps are humming?

When you're a Jet!

Also I don't think we're supposed to discuss Erfworld in this thread :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

IMJack posted:

Being genre-savvy is more important to Elan than being chaotic. The hero can't kill the villain if the villain isn't fighting back, especially if they've surrendered.

Yeah, but if you've ever seen Firefly, you'd know that you can at least stab the guy a couple of times in non-vital areas and feel much better about the situation.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah, but if you've ever seen Firefly, you'd know that you can at least stab the guy a couple of times in non-vital areas and feel much better about the situation.

Mal and Elan are pretty different. Elan's more like...

Kaylee, quite honestly.

Roy is probably closest to Mal, in OotS.

...And Belkar to Jayne, and Durkon to Book...

Wow. They're pretty similar, tbqh. Well, maybe Elan is close to Wash, too.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm hoping this sub-plotline has the effect of "maturing" Elan a bit. Up until the separation of the party, he's practically been a child in an adult's body. He can still be mister goofy I-like-puppets Elan, but when poo poo goes down hopefully he'll take things a little more seriously.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So Erfworld is coming out of some kind of foggy coma haze to become more coherent and move towards a pretty exciting set of scenes.

OotS continues to drag itself further away from it's main storyline, introduces a pretty interesting side character which dies shortly to block any kind of character development with one of the main characters, and a bunch of pointless uninteresting action scenes occur. Also pages full really boring text blah blah blah.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I love how this guy is playing off every inherent flaw in a hero being lawful good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

tazman posted:

I love how this guy is playing off every inherent flaw in a hero being lawful good.
That was Miko. Elan's a Bard, he can't be Lawful.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Sorry, my only knowledge of D&D comes from the Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights games so i'll try and explain why I thought that. From Elan's perspective the guy was clearly Evil, so killing him would have been an inherent Good act. However because he surrendered it would have been a Chaotic Act as surrendering would force a Lawful character to submit to the law of not killing prisoners. So Elan not killing the guy when he went there with the intent on doing that, would be considered Lawful right?

Am I wrong in this or just overthinking way way too much? (Or is Elan just Neutral Good?)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just because someone's Evil doesn't automatically make it a Good act to kill them, is the issue.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

tazman posted:

Am I wrong in this or just overthinking way way too much? (Or is Elan just Neutral Good?)

I'm pretty sure Elan's supposed to be Chaotic Good.

But yes, killing a (more or less) helpless prisoner who's surrendered isn't very Good either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

tazman posted:

Sorry, my only knowledge of D&D comes from the Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights games so i'll try and explain why I thought that. From Elan's perspective the guy was clearly Evil, so killing him would have been an inherent Good act. However because he surrendered it would have been a Chaotic Act as surrendering would force a Lawful character to submit to the law of not killing prisoners. So Elan not killing the guy when he went there with the intent on doing that, would be considered Lawful right?

Depends on whether you think there's any subjectivity within a given alignment. Elan's Chaotic Good response is "It would be wrong to kill an enemy who surrendered, but I am not opposed to giving you a good beating." My Chaotic Good response to that situation is "You are an expert at manipulating Lawful justice to worm out of paying for your horrible crimes, so I'm going to run you through, ensuring that you don't escape and sparing you from death by drowning."

Of course, characters don't act in accordance with their alignment 100% of the time anyway. D&D doesn't have a system of giving characters Law points, Chaos points, Good points, and Evil points, so there's no reason for us to do it, either. Wait for the Stormbringer webcomic.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Elan could be slowly shifting his alligment, too. That was definetly not a chaotic good act that he did, as a DM I would consider switching him to neutral good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Why exactly would you change a character's alignment for a single act of punching someone in the face while angry about a murder?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Depends on whether you think there's any subjectivity within a given alignment. Elan's Chaotic Good response is "It would be wrong to kill an enemy who surrendered, but I am not opposed to giving you a good beating." My Chaotic Good response to that situation is "You are an expert at manipulating Lawful justice to worm out of paying for your horrible crimes, so I'm going to run you through, ensuring that you don't escape and sparing you from death by drowning."
My CG response would be identical to yours. "Turn you over the courts, which you've shown time and time again have no power over you and you've in fact bragged about being able to manipulate? Yeah, that's not going to happen -- I'm going to end your Evil while I have a chance to do so." When Chaotic Good meets Lawful Evil, the proper response is to work outside the law. That's why you're Chaotic, after all.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So, who wants to take bets that the dinghy is going to start sinking, and all of that +5 armor is suddenly going to become a liability for Mr. Mean?

I can't be the only one to see that happening.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

tripwood posted:

Elan could be slowly shifting his alligment, too. That was definetly not a chaotic good act that he did, as a DM I would consider switching him to neutral good.

DMs who considers changing someone's alignment after one act need to re-think this whole alignment thing. My favorite way to use it was to get rid of it entirely expect for supernatural good or evil (angels and demons).

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

DMs who considers changing someone's alignment after one act need to re-think this whole alignment thing. My favorite way to use it was to get rid of it entirely expect for supernatural good or evil (angels and demons).

I totally agree, alignment is mostly useful for some rules stuff concerning particular weapon enchantments or spells with an alignment descriptor. If a character in a game does something and someone starts droning on about how a character of that particular alignment would just *obviously* never do that, they're ruining the game.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So, who wants to take bets that the dinghy is going to start sinking, and all of that +5 armor is suddenly going to become a liability for Mr. Mean?

I can't be the only one to see that happening.

Perhaps that's because it's pointed out directly in panel 5. Good catch.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Acts that immediately change your alignment immedately (unless already evil):

Necrophilia
Bisecting an unarmed octogenarian
Genocide
Baking kittens into a pie
Stabbing people for taking up too much room.

Acts that don't change you unless you repeat them over and over:

Punching villains in the face for killing a friend.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Necrophilia
Bisecting an unarmed octogenarian
Genocide
Baking kittens into a pie
Stabbing people for taking up too much room.

Acts that don't change you unless you repeat them over and over:

Punching villains in the face for killing a friend.

Immediate genocide would be quite the accomplishment for an evil-in-the-making character. "I'll just release this neurotoxin for giggles!"

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

NutShellBill posted:

[...]
Genocide

What if you genocide an evil race? :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Idunno, man, few races are all inherently evil. I'd probably give someone a pass on committing genocide against the Neogi.

Motivation is important, though. If you release a plague to wipe out a Neogi planet to stop the spread of their empire, morally questionable, but Good-ish Neutral. If you release the virus because you're curious what it sounds like when an entire planet's population shrieks as their flesh bubbles and pops, Evil, even if the victim was Evil.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vanadium posted:

What if you genocide an evil race? :colbert:

This actually comes up in Mass Effect. But to be fair, the race is almost wiped out anyway, and you get all sorts of evil points for going through with it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Wolfsheim posted:

This actually comes up in Mass Effect. But to be fair, the race is almost wiped out anyway, and you get all sorts of evil points for going through with it.

I always figured it was more evil to let them live, recover and wreck vengeance on the universe.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
New strip is up and V does what we all secretly hoped someone would do!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ha, for some reason the Gust of Wind is much more bad-rear end than the disintegrate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
That...that was...that was beautiful.

Get some sleep, V.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

That was... perfect. Nice going, V.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
V is my hero now - the Gust of Wind just seals the deal.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Nooooooo, he blew all the expensive AC boosting items overboard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now THAT is going from Neutral to Chaotic in a few actions.
Granted, V's been getting grosser and more chaotic-looking over quite some time now, but that definitely seals the deal.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

terminal mehmet posted:

I wouldn't just plain change it, I would add some points toward neutrality and a few extra for Good. He chose not to act, how can that be anything but neutral? It's not an act that carries any kind of chaos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Calaveron posted:

Now THAT is going from Neutral to Chaotic in a few actions.
Granted, V's been getting grosser and more chaotic-looking over quite some time now, but that definitely seals the deal.

Not really. Kubota is the textbook example of someone who can make a Neutral character say "He always circumvents the law. Just kill him." And V's right, Kubota really is a distraction from much more important business.

Don't know why everyone has a big, wet hardon for the characters to have their alignment shifted. Is this a World of Darkness webcomic and no one told me?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 23, 2008

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
I am sorry for ever doubting V.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
V's gonna be a lich by the end of the series, mark my words.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

tripwood posted:

I wouldn't just plain change it, I would add some points toward neutrality and a few extra for Good. He chose not to act, how can that be anything but neutral? It's not an act that carries any kind of chaos.

I hate arguments like this.

Today's strip was fan-loving-tastic.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I'm torn.

On the one hand, Kabuto had that coming. And they certainly can go back to saving the world now.

On the other hand, that strikes as something Belkar would have done. That's definitely on the cusp of something that might change your alignment. They're going to have to knock V out and get the elf some sleep.

At any rate, evil abhors a vacuum. Just because V dusted one daimyo doesn't mean there aren't 6 other to take their place. We'll see if this gets the plot back on track.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rennej posted:

That was... perfect. Nice going, V.
V says what we're all thinking. Please move the story along now :(

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Bremen posted:

Nooooooo, he blew all the expensive AC boosting items overboard.

This was my thought too. V, you're smart enough to make more efficient use of available resources than that!

Of course, maybe V just wanted to make sure there wasn't any evidence that the Order had killed a powerful nobleman lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sefer posted:

This was my thought too. V, you're smart enough to make more efficient use of available resources than that!

Of course, maybe V just wanted to make sure there wasn't any evidence that the Order had killed a powerful nobleman lying around.

I think that was it. Hahaha, this was such an awesome strip. Now get back to the goddamn story!