Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Would it help you guys if I told you that the Pyha kid is actually from South Korea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Morbid Florist posted:

Not that I think there's any chance of it happening, but how awesome would it be for them to have Abbath take Infernus' spot in the Gaahl/King band :black101:

Gorgoroth does need to look much happier on stage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrBling posted:

Would it help you guys if I told you that the Pyha kid is actually from South Korea?
he's actually eight years old and cannot afford shoes or a home and he sleeps inside of a tauntaun

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm willing to bet that the "14-year-old Korean kid" from Pyha is in fact the douchebag behind Velvet Cacoon

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm willing to bet that the "14-year-old Korean kid" from Pyha is in fact the douchebag behind Velvet Cacoon

And that douchebag from Velvet Cacoon stole all the songs appearing on that Pyha album from a female indie folk singer from Portland that no one has ever seen play live or heard of prior to this very moment.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Dehtraen posted:

And that douchebag from Velvet Cacoon stole all the songs appearing on that Pyha album from a female indie folk singer from Portland that no one has ever seen play live or heard of prior to this very moment.

Speaking of which, VC's new (real) album is apparently FINALLY going to come out. There's a sample here: http://www.fmp666.com/index2.html I guess it's supposed to be 2 discs and released in October. This is good news, but the preview track "Funeral Noir" was pretty disappointing. If the whole album is just ambient synth or whatever it'll be a huge letdown. The three real Velvet Cacoon albums are nothing short of amazing in my book, and I always thought the fake-albums thing was pretty funny because I don't know how anyone would believe it was the same band.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Doesn't the originally-linked page on Pyha say that most of the compositions and recordings are several years ago (i.e. done when the guy was 14 or thereabouts) and that he is currently in the army. Reading comprehension and all that.

Anyway, feel free to hurrrrr all you want but I only last night had a listen to Drudkh's Autumn Aurora. What an interesting album. Conceptually really cool.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Edit: double post sorry

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Das Funnee posted:

Early Drudkh, "Rainchants" by Skogyr, and if you REALLY like Walknut and can handle extreme rawness and minimalism it would be worth checking out anything from Forest, which is probably the most Walknut-like of Kaldrad's past projects.

These are perfect. Thanks much.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Can anyone point me to more stuff that sounds as undirected, balls-out aggressive as Diamatregon's Blasphemy for Satan? I'm loving the sloppy, crusty approach on this album.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
What all new worth hearing has come out this year? All I've checked I think is the new mirrorthrone and Keep Of Kallesin, even though Gangrene didn't really catch me even as close to as much as Carriers of Dust, but eh.

Also what do you guys think of the new Abigail Williams tracks? mainstream lolo aside, I can't deny this poo poo, and their newer poo poo is A LOT more BM influenced then the older stuff I heard, and by BM I mean Emperor. Even the loving artwork is Emperor influenced/worship.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

modernlifeisadam posted:

What all new worth hearing has come out this year? All I've checked I think is the new mirrorthrone and Keep Of Kallesin, even though Gangrene didn't really catch me even as close to as much as Carriers of Dust, but eh.

Also what do you guys think of the new Abigail Williams tracks? mainstream lolo aside, I can't deny this poo poo, and their newer poo poo is A LOT more BM influenced then the older stuff I heard, and by BM I mean Emperor. Even the loving artwork is Emperor influenced/worship.

HELL NO BRAH, THAT poo poo IS METALCORE! FUCKEN SCENE KIDS TRYING 2 BE DIMMU CUZ THEY THINK THEY HARD

Just kidding, I like it. They are very capable musicians and have some pretty good songs. Actually I happened to see them in concert and that was what persuaded me to check them out again, because they were insane. They remind me a lot of Stormlord, and also Emperor like you said. The only thing I don't care for too much is the high-pitched vocals some of the time, but they seem to be better on the album than the EP. Also the singer had a mullet. A really small one, but a mullet none the less.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Abigail williams is really fun to listen to, though I heard they have a new vocalist and I'm not so sure I'll be able to get into his? voice.

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007
Yeah, i got interested in hearing Abigail Williams after seeing the drummer doing his stuff to one of their songs on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISvqNhaRAs . I remember someone mentioning that they were a deathcore band, but i thought they sounded a lot like emperor.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

modernlifeisadam posted:

I really liked both new Menace Ruines, Cult of Ruins and In Vulva Infernum. New Vordr was good too, if you like more straight forward stuff. New Wold or Taake aren't bad either.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

modernlifeisadam posted:

Weltenfeind, the split between Absurd, Grand Belial's Key and Sigrblot, finally got released and it's quite good. I'm particularly impressed by Absurd's contribution - it's the best they've sounded in years.

behemoth7
May 8, 2007

by Ozma
the GBK part of the split is excellent. i got my copy in the mail directly from GBK, hand numbered 64 :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I've been on an ambient BM kick for a while and have had ColdWorld recommended via my Last.fm shoutbox. On first listen to Melancholie^2, I love it. Can anyone recommend similar stuff?

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I really liked both new Menace Ruines, Cult of Ruins and In Vulva Infernum. New Vordr was good too, if you like more straight forward stuff. New Wold or Taake aren't bad either.

New Taake? Didn't even know about that, I heard they were taking a long hiatus due to Host wanting to work on Ragnarok more. And Abigail Williams, their Legend EP which was all they had out for a few years was pretty drat "core-y", and the guitars didn't really have the BM feel like they do now.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

MrWithers posted:

Yeah, i got interested in hearing Abigail Williams after seeing the drummer doing his stuff to one of their songs on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISvqNhaRAs . I remember someone mentioning that they were a deathcore band, but i thought they sounded a lot like emperor.

Just checked out their Myspace, got crushed by it. Color me impressed.

On another topic, please complete this list of most emotionally charged black metal albums (not necessairily in any order):

1. Pyha - The Haunted House
2. Weakling - Dead as Dreams
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I wouldn't even call either of those albums "emotionally charged", nevermind put them at one and two in an all-time list of such albums in black metal.

I mean, have you even loving heard of Strid?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

primitive posted:

3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Seriously?

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

primitive posted:

Just checked out their Myspace, got crushed by it. Color me impressed.

On another topic, please complete this list of most emotionally charged black metal albums (not necessairily in any order):

3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
Silencer - Death... Pierce Me?

And the whole new Abigail CD leaked, fuckin' rips IMO.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Have you ever listened to Gris - Il Était une Forêt...? I mean come on, the singer starts CRYING on one song. I'd say that goes on the list :colbert:

And yeah, I heard Abigail Williams and really liked them, and then went to their website and saw them. So... preconceived hipster "deathcore" whatever bullshit aside, their music is really good.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Gr31lly posted:

I wouldn't even call either of those albums "emotionally charged", nevermind put them at one and two in an all-time list of such albums in black metal.

I mean, have you even loving heard of Strid?

It's not an all-time list. It's more an invitation for you guys to fill in the blanks.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

MrWithers posted:

It also helps to sound like Emperor when Trym is drumming for you on the album.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It also helps to sound like Emperor when Trym is drumming for you on the album.

No, he was going to, but they got their new drummer, Samus, right before they started recording.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

modernlifeisadam posted:

No, he was going to, but they got their new drummer, Samus, right before they started recording.
:rimshot: :psyduck:

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Misogynist posted:

:rimshot: :psyduck:

Hahah, yup. It's the guy in the video playing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISvqNhaRAs

He's really, really good IMO.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
That's Samus? He is good, really clean, articulate.

Is that an Abigail Williams tune as well?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

That's Samus? He is good, really clean, articulate.

Is that an Abigail Williams tune as well?

Yeah, that's from the new CD. All his videos are pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he was with them when I saw them live because you could see him pretty well. Everybody was talking afterward about "wow that drummer was amazing!" and so on.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

krustster posted:

Sweet, he is good. After a few youtubed songs, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but this guy certainly knows what he's doing.

On another note, and this is probably old news, but I've been using Pandora.com to check out new bands. I've found with a spread of Gorgoroth, 1349, and Burzum stations, I get a pretty good sample of bands I've never listened to.

Highlights: Mord, Kampfar, Vreid, Marduk, and Vader. I know these aren't new bands, I've just never listened to them.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Pandora.com posted:

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

Aww :(

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Sweet, he is good. After a few youtubed songs, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but this guy certainly knows what he's doing.

On another note, and this is probably old news, but I've been using Pandora.com to check out new bands. I've found with a spread of Gorgoroth, 1349, and Burzum stations, I get a pretty good sample of bands I've never listened to.

Highlights: Mord, Kampfar, Vreid, Marduk, and Vader. I know these aren't new bands, I've just never listened to them.

Ahhhh Kampfar is awesome. I got one of their CDs a while back but I always forget about it, though it's incredible. And of course Vader is essential listening for anybody into the ol' rockmetal. Are they coming out with a new album sometime soon?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I don't listen to a ton of Black Metal, but could you guys could give me the lowdown on mandatory ambient black metal? Summoning has been on constant repeat for the past few weeks.
http://www.myspace.com/upthehammers

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/swornband

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Listen to Pagan Hammer, I release his music and he sounds like Summoning meets Graveland but streamlined and less pretentious than either.

So from someone's who's heard the album, how horrible is Krallice on a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being the worst.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

I don't listen to a ton of Black Metal, but could you guys could give me the lowdown on mandatory ambient black metal? Summoning has been on constant repeat for the past few weeks.

Well this is the internet, so people are probably still angry about the whole "fake albums" debacle, but Velvet Cacoon's Northsuite and especially Genevieve are some of the most critically acclaimed, and certainly best in my estimation, ambient black-meatal albums. It doesn't sound like Summoning but it's nothing if not ambient.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

aliencowboy posted:

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/swornband

*cracks knuckles*

None of this may be up your alley, but you may enjoy Blut aus Nord, Sieghetnar, Karna, Kataxu, Profanum, Xasthur, Leviathan, Beatrik, Aäkon Këëtrëh, Caïna, Negură Bunget,Abyssmal Sorrow, Striborg, Alcest, Drudkh, Eldrig, Empire Auriga, Forgotten Tomb, Fear of Eternity, Funeral Mourning, Hypothemia, Isengard, Lurker of Chalice, Mütiilation, Moëvöt, Nortt, Paysage d'Hiver, Raate, Ruined (or Pyha or whatever), Sacrificia Mortuorum, Sad, Taake, Tyrant, Veil, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room

Though I admit a few of these perhaps fits into what some call "depressive bm" I don't think it's that much of a stretch to like it.

Drudkh, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room (gently caress what goons say, this band is good), Alcest, some Leviathan, Nortt, Isengard, Hypothemia, Moëvöt are all points to check out, though they aren't like Summoning clones if that's what you're wanting in particular.

Admittedly I've never heard Sworn but it sounds pretty good.

Going through my foobar I see these that kinda sound like what you posted:

Melechesh, Impaled Nazarene, Catamenia, Balam-Akab, Dissection, Keep of Kalessin, Khold, Lyfthrasyr, Naglfar, Slechtvalk, Wolven Ancestry.

Tell me if any of that helped :shobon:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Gvaz posted:

*cracks knuckles*

None of this may be up your alley, but you may enjoy Blut aus Nord, Sieghetnar, Karna, Kataxu, Profanum, Xasthur, Leviathan, Beatrik, Aäkon Këëtrëh, Caïna, Negură Bunget,Abyssmal Sorrow, Striborg, Alcest, Drudkh, Eldrig, Empire Auriga, Forgotten Tomb, Fear of Eternity, Funeral Mourning, Hypothemia, Isengard, Lurker of Chalice, Mütiilation, Moëvöt, Nortt, Paysage d'Hiver, Raate, Ruined (or Pyha or whatever), Sacrificia Mortuorum, Sad, Taake, Tyrant, Veil, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room

Though I admit a few of these perhaps fits into what some call "depressive bm" I don't think it's that much of a stretch to like it.

Drudkh, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room (gently caress what goons say, this band is good), Alcest, some Leviathan, Nortt, Isengard, Hypothemia, Moëvöt are all points to check out, though they aren't like Summoning clones if that's what you're wanting in particular.

Admittedly I've never heard Sworn but it sounds pretty good.

Going through my foobar I see these that kinda sound like what you posted:

Melechesh, Impaled Nazarene, Catamenia, Balam-Akab, Dissection, Keep of Kalessin, Khold, Lyfthrasyr, Naglfar, Slechtvalk, Wolven Ancestry.

Tell me if any of that helped :shobon:

That's a monster of a list. It'll probably take a while to get through that, but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying at least a few of those bands based on sheer numbers. Only one I've heard is Wolves in the Throne Room and I think they're just dandy. Thanks.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Noktorn posted:

So from someone's who's heard the album, how horrible is Krallice on a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being the worst.

I'm liking it a lot. It belongs somewhere between Weakling and Wolves in the Throne Room, both of which I also like a lot.