Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zorak posted:

Stickying for a few days because, you know, what the hell. We can have two stickied threads telling people to watch LOGH. Sure, maybe it IS pushing something I like a bit too much but more people need to watch this poo poo.
I approve of this rampant abuse of power.
Edit: 1000th post! Woo!

Ragg fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaryn
Oct 4, 2006

one of these days i'm going to cut you into little pieces
Does this show get any better than the first 13 episodes? If not I think I should bow out before watching another 100 episodes... it's cool but not really my thing. I feel like I'm watching Tora Tora Tora

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slaryn posted:

Does this show get any better than the first 13 episodes? If not I think I should bow out before watching another 100 episodes... it's cool but not really my thing. I feel like I'm watching Tora Tora Tora
By its nature, LOGH is a story that prides itself on constantly upon its conflicts and developments to give a true "epic" feel to its progression. The pacing, themes, and general makeup of the story however is largely the same. If you haven't grown to like it a few episodes in, then I'm not sure that opinion would change later on. It'd be a shame, though.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Slaryn posted:

There's some really great payoff if you stick with it, but it does tend to get a bit boring/redundant. I watched an arc out of order and it didn't make a lick of difference really. Realizing that almost made me pass up on the rest of the series because I'm not a big fan of episodic series. It doesn't have the pacing of, say Gurren Lagann, but its true value is really in the summation of it all, I feel. It probably helps a lot to have a thing for politics, history, and military strategy and tactics.

Anyway, rewatching this series from the beginning again was a fairly unique experience. I had forgotten all the details, so it was almost like watching it new, except not.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I'd just watched up to ep15, goddamn that space battle there just made everything I've ever watched till now look like 2 kids playing with marbles.

95 more episodes to go!

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Happy days are here again:

LOGH Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth Ep 03: xvid h264
LOGH Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth Ep 04: xvid h264

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Oh god, I haven't fully read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I feel I have to post something.

Episode 82. Goodnight, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. :cry:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I'm thinking of watching this show, but I'm completely overwhelmed by all these randomly-named OVAs that I can't seem to piece together. I have no idea how much has been subbed and how much is left to sub. The wikipedia pages "list of LOGH episodes" and "list of LOGH media", which would typically be my definitive place to go, seem to have been written by someone who quit halfway through writing them. Same goes for the ADTRWiki page. Anime News Network sequel-prequel trees are incredibly confusing by nature, but I think it's telling me that I start by watching one of the movies. And that scarywater Central Anime bittorrent page has like five gaiden OVAs while wikipedia indicates that there is only one. Or two. I think.

I want to see what all the fuss is about, but you guys are gonna have to help me out a bit, here. If I've walked in during some delicate fansubbing time period where nothing is quite complete but will be in a year (or more), just say the word, and I'll just toss this thread back in the time capsule and pretend I never heard of this. Or tell me what to watch and what not to watch; I'm cool with other people deciding such things for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You want to watch the original OVA series first, which is the main story. It's 110 episodes long. Everything else essentially complements that story and is meant to be watched afterwards. It's been completely subbed by CA.

After that there are two more OVA series, one of which is 24 episodes while the other is 28 episodes (for a total of 52 episodes). These are prequel stories that take place before the main story. They're the "Gaiden" episodes you'll see in CA's tracker. The first set of Gaiden episodes (which totals 24: Gaiden 1-3 are 4 eps each, and Gaiden 4 is 12 eps) has also been completely subbed by CA. The second OVA set, which is 28 episodes long, is currently being subbed by CA and as of now is incomplete.

You also have a LOGH movie set just about right before the main series. You can actually probably watch this before or after the main series, I don't think it'd really matter. It's literally so close to the first episode timeline-wise that I think it'd all flow together nicely, even though I watched the movie after the series.

In short, I'd watch it all in this order:

Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (Subbed)
Main OVA Series, 110 episodes (Subbed)
Gaiden OVA Series 1 - Various Gaiden Stories, 24 episodes (Subbed)
Gaiden OVA Series 2 - Spiral Labyrinth, 28 episodes (Partially Subbed)

There's another movie and another single episode OVA, but I think those are recaps of sorts. At any rate, they're currently unsubbed.

E: So while there is currently still a little bit left to be subbed, you're looking at ~140 episodes and a movie that's currently available. I say don't wait on CA (they're going at a decent pace I suppose anyway) and just throw yourself into the fray. It'll be well worth it.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 22, 2008

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I'm three episodes into this and I have a question whose answer will determine whether or not I keep watching: do any of the characters in the show become interesting at any point? So far the show's just been a barrage of names and faces with no accompanying personalities or anything at all to make them distinguishable from one another. If I don't care about any of the characters yet, will I have any reason to as the show goes on? And I don't mean "do they do something cool," I mean do they actually become real characters rather than sources of plot-advancing dialog.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Argon-40 posted:

I'm three episodes into this and I have a question whose answer will determine whether or not I keep watching: do any of the characters in the show become interesting at any point? So far the show's just been a barrage of names and faces with no accompanying personalities or anything at all to make them distinguishable from one another. If I don't care about any of the characters yet, will I have any reason to as the show goes on? And I don't mean "do they do something cool," I mean do they actually become real characters rather than sources of plot-advancing dialog.
Look, 90% of the people in this thread have watched and loved Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Asking "do these characters get interesting?" is like asking in a popular games' thread "does this ever get fun?" YES the characters develop and do all kinds of "interesting" poo poo. Why would we care so much if that were not the case? I'm not going to give you some sort of limit, like "you should watch up until episode X to see if you like that" because 1). I doubt there is really any sort of arbitrary episode where things change in style from the first few episodes and 2). looking back, I don't really remember there being any problems with the first few episodes at all.

I suppose the series does take a few episodes to properly describe the current situation, show where allegiances lie, and lay the foundation for the ensuing conflicts. It's a sci-fi war epic, and I am simply unable to describe the series in any manner short of it in its entirety. And Legend of the Galacitc Heroes in its entirety is loving awesome. Think of it as a well-versed novel series in televised format, in the vein of The Wire; lots of build-up and subtlety that won't pay off until down the road when you really care about everything.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, a large number of the named characters wind up being quite interesting. Just bear with it while they sit there giving you names and then expecting you to remember them when that guy shows up ten episodes later, and you will be rewarded.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I suppose the series does take a few episodes to properly describe the current situation, show where allegiances lie, and lay the foundation for the ensuing conflicts. It's a sci-fi war epic, and I am simply unable to describe the series in any manner short of it in its entirety. And Legend of the Galacitc Heroes in its entirety is loving awesome. Think of it as a well-versed novel series in televised format, in the vein of The Wire; lots of build-up and subtlety that won't pay off until down the road when you really care about everything.

The Wire is what I was thinking of when I typed the question, because by the end of its first episode (comparable in running time to the first three of LOGH) I actually had a handle on who the main (and some of the minor) characters were and what the main conflict of the show would be, and I wanted to see more. LOGH so far hasn't provided me with much more than a bunch of names and a battle of uncertain significance in a conflict of uncertain origin. There's nothing flat-out wrong with the first few episodes, it just didn't add up to something that made me want to keep watching.

And yes, I realize the inherent folly in asking a bunch of people who love something if they think it's good, but it's possible to love something for one aspect in spite of another, so I thought I'd check and make sure that one aspect in particular (characterization) wasn't the weak link in the series.

I'll go ahead and give it some more time anyway, thanks for the quick responses.

edit: There actually is one thing wrong with the first episode: the embarrassingly melodramatic slow-mo death scene given to Yang's friend in the other fleet, who had all of 20 seconds of screen time prior to his end.

a seagull fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 23, 2008

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, you have to remember, there are literally hundreds of characters in this show and all of them have to get at least a little screen time. This isn't like some TV shows where they start off with a small cast and then when Season 2 starts they need a love interest so they toss one in or whatever - characters show up early on that won't show up in a useful way until much later just because that is the way that the show functions. It describes an entire universe worth of conflict and characters are sometimes out of contact with each other for months just because their careers have them doing different things.

I'd suggest watching the LOGH prequel movie before the first episode, it makes it clear that Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm are the main characters and hints at how they will interact with each other later.

EDIT: I've seen the prequel and all of LOGH but I want to rewatch it. Should I watch Prequel->LOGH->Gaiden, or should I watch Gaiden first since I already know LOGH's story?

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Eronarn posted:

Yes, you have to remember, there are literally hundreds of characters in this show and all of them have to get at least a little screen time. This isn't like some TV shows where they start off with a small cast and then when Season 2 starts they need a love interest so they toss one in or whatever - characters show up early on that won't show up in a useful way until much later just because that is the way that the show functions. It describes an entire universe worth of conflict and characters are sometimes out of contact with each other for months just because their careers have them doing different things.

That's what bothers me, really. The show isn't any better for cramming as many characters as possible into the early episodes. It should be focusing on setting the scene and expanding on the characters who are going to be significant now rather than 20 episodes in the future.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I agree with this complaint, actually. I've shown the series to a couple of pretty intelligent friends who go for this sort of stuff, and they were both put off by the sheer number of names and faces they throw at you early on.

Viewer: "Who is this person, and why should I care what his name is?"
Show: "I'm NOT TELLING! Ha ha. And there's no telling when this person will show up again! Maybe in two episodes, maybe in twelve!"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hokuto posted:

Viewer: "Who is this person, and why should I care what his name is?"
Show: "I'm NOT TELLING! Ha ha. And there's no telling when this person will show up again! Maybe in two episodes, maybe in twelve!"

At least the show is kind enough to remind you quite often who people are. "JUST IN CASE YOU GUYS FORGOT FROM AWHILE BACK THIS GUY IS _____ VON ________"

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Argon-40 posted:

That's what bothers me, really. The show isn't any better for cramming as many characters as possible into the early episodes. It should be focusing on setting the scene and expanding on the characters who are going to be significant now rather than 20 episodes in the future.

I don't have anything to add to the discussion about the style of the early episodes, but regarding the names, I think part of the problem is that we feel like we're supposed to remember all of them. The thing is though, it's really not a big deal, because when a character is "reintroduced" 20 episodes in the future the show usually displays the character's name again. I haven't watched the series in over a year, but I can't recall any super-obscure characters who suddenly became major without a proper buildup. The cast is indeed huge, but the number of characters who are truly significant, who you have to know to understand the story, isn't obscenely large or anything... maybe 30 at the most? And those are introduced in stages. Most of the show takes place in the stories and conflicts between Yang's inner circle and Reinhard's inner circle. The only thing I had a hard time with after I got into the show was remembering the names of Reinhard's admirals who had similar character designs.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

patricius posted:

The only thing I had a hard time with after I got into the show was remembering the names of Reinhard's admirals who had similar character designs.

Recently released high-resolution scans of the original character design sketches from LOGH have been analyzed by forensic scientists and in a stunning turn of events they say that this is all the confirmation they need to prove that Fahrenheit and Muller are not the same person! :science:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Argon-40 posted:

The Wire is what I was thinking of when I typed the question, because by the end of its first episode (comparable in running time to the first three of LOGH) I actually had a handle on who the main (and some of the minor) characters were and what the main conflict of the show would be, and I wanted to see more. LOGH so far hasn't provided me with much more than a bunch of names and a battle of uncertain significance in a conflict of uncertain origin.
I think Eronarn is right, it may be helpful to watch the movie "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" before the series. Most people here watched it after the series because it was subbed after the series was subbed, but technically it was released before the main OVA series and chronologically takes place before the first episode as well. It clearly outlines who the main characters are, namely Reinhard and Yang.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

It's not necessary to remember everyone's names. A lot of citizens and crewmembers are the types of people who would go unnamed in a different show. LoGH compulsively names every character, but it's not necessary to remember most of them until they show up again. I was a little put off by this myself, but I got used to it and enjoyed the show a lot more when I stopped worrying about it. In short, if someone is important, you'll know because they'll be re-introduced and get a lot more screen time.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

I was browsing and I just noticed this.

http://www.last.fm/music/Berlin+Radio+Symphony+Orchestra

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Eronarn posted:

EDIT: I've seen the prequel and all of LOGH but I want to rewatch it. Should I watch Prequel->LOGH->Gaiden, or should I watch Gaiden first since I already know LOGH's story?

Do Gaiden -> Prequel -> LOGH for pure chronologically ordered storyline awesomeness.

Also, I do agree with the sentiment that there are many characters thrown at you by this show. However, at no time did I feel like it was too many when I was first watching it - the only thing I might sympathize with is not caring about them. I didn't give a poo poo about any of the characters for a few episodes either; however, by the end of the first main arc (8eps IIRC) you will <3 Yang at the very least, so I would give it at least that much of a watch before deciding it's not for you.

Yes, LOGH does not stand up to the contemporary standard 3ep trial as well as many modern day horrible 12-26 episode trainwreck animes. That's because its storyline is ambitious (and successful) beyond the scope such pithy standards :colbert:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes, LOGH does not stand up to the contemporary standard 3ep trial as well as many modern day horrible 12-26 episode trainwreck animes. That's because its storyline is ambitious (and successful) beyond the scope such pithy standards :colbert:

I honestly think that if you treat the prequel as the 3 episode test, it does just fine. The series is a little bit slow, but the movie has a complete battle with both perspectives and it's important to show why things suck in both the Alliance and Empire (incompetence in the military being a parallel to incompetence in the civilian government is a really strong theme in the show).

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Eronarn posted:

I honestly think that if you treat the prequel as the 3 episode test, it does just fine. The series is a little bit slow, but the movie has a complete battle with both perspectives and it's important to show why things suck in both the Alliance and Empire (incompetence in the military being a parallel to incompetence in the civilian government is a really strong theme in the show).

Having watched it I agree with this. I enjoyed the prequel movie and I think the transition to the beginning of the show will be a bit easier now for having seen it.

Though, in contrast to the series proper, I don't think they gave out enough names in the movie. There were several characters with a decent amount of screen time whose names were never mentioned. I'm assuming this was because it came out after the series so viewers would have already known who these guys were, so it didn't bother me as much.

Speaking of names and assumptions, I assume Reinhard's last name switch is explained at some point in the series?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, Reinhard's name and title are plot points throughout the show.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 5
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 6

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Argon-40 posted:

Though, in contrast to the series proper, I don't think they gave out enough names in the movie. There were several characters with a decent amount of screen time whose names were never mentioned. I'm assuming this was because it came out after the series so viewers would have already known who these guys were, so it didn't bother me as much.

I thought that was really weird, yeah. I'm surprised that the subbers didn't add them in themselves because otherwise the show is spot on with providing names during the entire series and it feels like a significant discontinuity. I guess the idea is that people watching it when it came out would've already seen the series, but it makes it confusing to have a character only get 'formally' introduced after you've already watched an entire movie featuring him.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Eronarn posted:

Recently released high-resolution scans of the original character design sketches from LOGH have been analyzed by forensic scientists and in a stunning turn of events they say that this is all the confirmation they need to prove that Fahrenheit and Muller are not the same person! :science:

I don't see how you could possibly confuse Muller and Fahrenheit. They look totally different.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Honest Ray posted:

I don't see how you could possibly confuse Muller and Fahrenheit. They look totally different.

Muller and Fahrenheit were actually the ones I was thinking of when I wrote the post he responded to. They're not that similar when placed directly next to each other, but whenever I saw them separately I was often left wondering "wait, is that Muller or Fahrenheit?"

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I honestly don't see a similarity in the two besides the fact that they are both men.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

SaxPenguin posted:

The only problem is they have the URL to the site in the description box, which I just noticed. If it's still fine I'll edit it into this post sometime soon. EDIT: I'll just remove it if I get a no.

To Be Continued once I'm done doing important stuff...

Thanks for posting this earlier. Do you mind posting the rest or a link to where I can get the direct download links please?

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Honest Ray posted:

I honestly don't see a similarity in the two besides the fact that they are both men.

Cleanshaven, similar hairstyle, similar haircolor, neither have extremely distinctive mannerisms like the other admirals tend to have, I think they're the same rank too. You can tell them apart but they're some of the most similar-looking characters on the show.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Eronarn posted:

Cleanshaven, similar hairstyle, similar haircolor, neither have extremely distinctive mannerisms like the other admirals tend to have, I think they're the same rank too. You can tell them apart but they're some of the most similar-looking characters on the show.
You didn't think Muller stood out? I loved "Ironshield" Muller. He was a year younger than Reuental I think and they made a point out of how he wasn't a super admiral but his extreme loyalty to the Kaiser more than made up for it. Go watch Vermillion and tell me Muller isn't the loving man.

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 25, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sydnesider posted:

Thanks for posting this earlier. Do you mind posting the rest or a link to where I can get the direct download links please?

The link is in the description area of the download page, though I do plan on posting the rest sometime.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I ended up watching the first two episodes, and then the movie, simply because they finished downloading in that order. It worked out pretty well; the first episode gave me some familiarity with Reinhard, Yang, each one's right-hand man, and a couple other people. Episode two was sort of a conclusion of the first episode's battle, and it also explained the tactical significance of the Iserlohn fortress which was kind of a big deal in the movie.

Not to say there was no confusion about anything—the battles in the movie and first episodes are already kind of blurring together for me and I can't recall exactly what tactics were used where—but I'm staying on top of things for the most part, and I've been finding it very interesting. I'll definitely keep watching.

Rommelous
Jun 28, 2008

FA-BU-LOUS
Having just passed episode 15, (I've had some time issues with my "supplementary" shows) I'm going to have to agree with the above. Holy poo poo, that battle was awesome. "GOD DAMMIT PEOPLE WE'RE GOING INTO A TRAP." "Okay, whatever, we have to make the best of it." "Hahaha, I will escape because I'm awesome and your siege line is weak. Everyone go ahead of me, I'll make it out myself!"

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Honest Ray posted:

You didn't think Muller stood out? I loved "Ironshield" Muller. He was a year younger than Reuental I think and they made a point out of how he wasn't a super admiral but his extreme loyalty to the Kaiser more than made up for it. Go watch Vermillion and tell me Muller isn't the loving man.

Oh, Muller rules (not as much as Wahlen but...). It's just that until he distinguishes himself it's hard to tell him apart from Fahrenheit, especially since both get fairly limited screen time. It gets easier once only one of them is still alive :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I had one minor problem with LoGH- the radio jamming. They never really explain why all radio communications are easily jammed, and it doesn't really make sense. Sure, I realize limited communications make for a better story dozens of times, but it still bothers me more than the usual science fiction liberties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I had one minor problem with LoGH- the radio jamming. They never really explain why all radio communications are easily jammed, and it doesn't really make sense. Sure, I realize limited communications make for a better story dozens of times, but it still bothers me more than the usual science fiction liberties.

This is pretty common in a lot of Space Operas? It's the whole point of reducing things to naval battles instead of ICBM toss-a-rounds. You add electromagnetic/ other particle based interference to communication, yatta yatta. Not to mention the battlefields in question are often light years across, so normal signals aren't that great a lot of the time anyway.