Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

Thanks. I've got two 2524s and a 2501. I only paid $15 for the set so it's not like it's a big loss.

Apparently all 2500's use the same IOS release. I'll give you a link in a bit gotta host it real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atticus
Nov 7, 2002

this is how u post~
:madmax::hf::riker:
Anyone going to NANOG in October?

para
Nov 30, 2006
I'm having a problem with a wireless connection between two buildings. I'm not a wireless expert (I'm just a CCNA working on BSCI atm) and our normal network engineer is out of town and is not able to help.

I have a Cisco Aironet 1310 (12.4(10b)JA1)) at the top of a building (omni antenna), and a small building about 400 yards away has another one with another 1310 with a directional antenna that associates with it. The association between these two AP's goes down at least once or twice a day and the people at the smaller building (with the directional antenna) say they have to power cycle the AP to get it to come back up.

I've taken a look at the config and 'show' info best I can, but since I've really had no experience with Cisco wireless I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the omni here is some info in the 'show logging':

quote:

Sep 19 14:15:05.899: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 001f.6ca9.0390 reached max retries, removing the client
Sep 19 14:15:05.899: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 001f.6ca9.0390 Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid
Sep 19 14:15:05.905: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 001f.6ca9.0390 reached max retries, removing the client
Sep 19 14:15:07.538: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station pafscalehouse 001f.6ca9.0390 Reassociated KEY_MGMT[NONE]

Sep 22 12:37:07.909: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 001e.f7f1.cfa0 reached max retries, removing the client
Sep 22 12:37:07.910: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 001e.f7f1.cfa0 Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid
Sep 22 12:37:07.915: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 001e.f7f1.cfa0 reached max retries, removing the client
Sep 22 12:37:32.637: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station pahdir 001e.f7f1.cfa0 Reassociated KEY_MGMT[NONE]

Closer look at the associations on the omni (there is a second directional AP a few miles away that is connecting to this omni, seems to work fine):

quote:

pafomni#show dot11 statistics client-traffic

Dot11Radio0: -- Client Statistics
---Clients AID VLAN Status Age Tx Mode Enc Key Rate
001e.f7f1.xxa0 1 0 0000 1000000FF 30/30 0-0 00B0 000 0-0 1EFF0000 06C
001f.6ca9.xx90 2 0 0000 1000000FF 29/30 0-0 00B0 000 0-0 1EFF0000 030
Rx Pkts KBytes Dup Dec Mic Mis Tx Pkts KBytes Retry RSSI SNR
001e.f7f1.xxa0 11945 3440 0 0 0 0 9217 3251 2763 74 24
001f.6ca9.xx90 340111 85519 3 0 0 0 606228 174371 308078 79 20
8021x auth in prog 0 allowed 0
The retry count on the 001f.6ca9.xx90 (which is the directional a few hundred yards away that keeps going down) seems unusually high for being up only ~24 hours, and the SNR bounces from between 24 and 18. I noticed just now when it went down the SNR was bouncing on that between 75 and 10 just dropped completely.

Config for the omni:

quote:

version 12.4
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname omni
!
enable secret 5 $1$PASSWD
!
no aaa new-model
clock timezone -0500 -5
clock summer-time -0400 recurring
ip domain name company.net
ip name-server 10.103.51.1
!
!
!
dot11 ssid mfde-SSID
authentication open
!
dot11 network-map
!
!
username USER privilege 15 password 7 PASSWD
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
ip address 10.110.3.116 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ssid mfde-SSID
!
station-role root bridge
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface FastEthernet0
ip address 10.110.3.118 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
bridge-group 1
!
interface BVI1
ip address 10.110.3.117 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 10.110.3.10
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/ea
snmp-server community public RO
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
login local
!
sntp server 10.103.51.1
sntp broadcast client
end

Config for the directional:

quote:

version 12.4
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname directional
!
enable secret 5 $1$PASSWD
!
no aaa new-model
clock timezone -0500 -5
clock summer-time -0400 recurring
ip domain name company.net
ip name-server 10.103.51.1
!
!
!
dot11 ssid mfde-SSID
authentication open
infrastructure-ssid optional
!
dot11 network-map
!
!
username USER privilege 15 password 7 PASSWD
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
ip address 10.110.3.113 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ssid mfde-SSID
!
station-role non-root bridge
bridge-group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0
ip address 10.110.3.115 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
bridge-group 1
!
interface BVI1
ip address 10.110.3.114 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 10.110.3.10
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag
snmp-server community public RO
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
login local
!
sntp server 10.103.51.1
sntp broadcast client
end
Could this be a configuration issue or possibly faulty hardware? These two AP's replaced two others in the same locations that had been there for years, so environmental interference shouldn't be an issue.

para fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 23, 2008

DarkCow
Apr 26, 2007
Moo.

routenull0 posted:

What DNS servers is the box you are looking up from using? Do you have a host entry in /etc/hosts (if *nix)?

I use a local DNS cache which forwards to my ISPs nameservers, but it happens no matter which server I specify. /etc/hosts is empty except for 127.0.0.1.

The same thing happens to a friend of mine, but he's using the same ISP and a similar router as well, so I guess it's possible that the ISP may be doing it. If that's so, though, how do their machines know about my internal network enough to re-map the DNS?

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

para posted:

wireless stuff

Here is some stuff from Cisco on the error you are seeing:

quote:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37err.html
"Error Message DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client [characters] reached max retries,
removing the client

Explanation This error message indicates that the access point attempts to poll the client a certain number of times, but does not receive a response. Therefore, the client is removed from the association table. This issue is commonly seen when the client and access point are attempting to communicate in a noisy RF environment.

Recommended Action To resolve this issue, run a carrier busy test on the access point to determine if there is excessive noise in the radio channel spectrum. Attempt to alleviate any unwanted noise.

Performing a Carrier Busy Test

You can perform a carrier busy test to check the radio activity on wireless channels. During the carrier busy test, the wireless device drops all associations with wireless networking devices for 4 seconds while it conducts the carrier test and then displays the test results.

In privileged EXEC mode, enter this command to perform a carrier busy test:

dot11 interface-number carrier busy

For interface-number, enter dot11radio 0 to run the test on the 2.4-GHz radio, or enter dot11radio 1 to run the test on the 5-GHz radio.

Use the show dot11 carrier busy command to re-display the carrier busy test results.

If there are several access points in the same area, there might be overlapping the channel signals or possibly other wireless device in the area. Change the access point channel to one of the non-overlapping channels using the access point GUI. Under Network Interfaces, select Radio-802.11. There are three non-overlapping channels: 1, 6, and 11. "
First up try changing channels in your antennas, you need to analyze the area around to see what channels are the busiest too avoid them.
I also suggest graphing up the SNR with Cacti or something as the problem seems to be periodic.

nex fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 23, 2008

heresy
Nov 25, 2003
Is it possible to generate interesting traffic from locally from the ASA console to test whether an IPSec VPN is configured correctly? As opposed to generating the traffic from a device behind the ASA. As long as said traffic matches the match list specified in the crypto map, of course.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's a dumb question. Is there a way to blank out all the settings for a particular interface on a 2600 series?

I was messing around bringing up a lab t-1 and put a ton of wrong info on s0/0 so I just configured s0/1 and got it working, but all the wrong stuff is still on s0/0. Is there a way to just reset it to nothing/default without going in and typing in no <command>?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Here's a dumb question. Is there a way to blank out all the settings for a particular interface on a 2600 series?

I was messing around bringing up a lab t-1 and put a ton of wrong info on s0/0 so I just configured s0/1 and got it working, but all the wrong stuff is still on s0/0. Is there a way to just reset it to nothing/default without going in and typing in no <command>?

Yerp- default int se0/0

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jwh posted:

Yerp- default int se0/0

Thanks. You rock!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Here is the latest 2500 image (12.3-26). I figure its EoL so I shouldn't get in trouble for the link.

http://pcrules.yourconsolesucks.com/c2500-is-l.123-26.bin

I'll take it down in a few days.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.

jwh posted:

Yerp- default int se0/0

Wow, I didn't know about that either so thanks for that info. Great thread!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I have a Cisco 2811
- running IOS version 12.4 20t
- Call Manager Express version 7.0

What do I need in order for G.729 to work?

Edit: Nevermind... I think it is resolved. Oversight in the configuration. Spotted it when I was about to post it here. Ha!

Had a little bit of G.711 in there, edited out. Discovered that G.729 was a preferred mode, but would bump itself to the bottom of the list from the phone itself. This is when you run the call manager in transparent mode. If it is specified in the call manager, it isn't a problem.

Schatten fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 25, 2008

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

Yerp- default int se0/0

poo poo! I can't believe I didn't know or never bothered to look for this command. Thanks!

The Beavis
Sep 11, 2008
I'm currently looking at the ASA 5500 line (specifically the 5510 or 5520) and interested in the CSC-SSM module, which does "Content Security" (i.e. anti-spam, anti-virus, etc).

Does anyone have experience with this module? Is it even worth getting? I'm sure rolling my own solution behind the ASA might be better, but I might end up doing both. However, I'm not entirely convinced about this module, thoughts?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

The Beavis posted:

I'm currently looking at the ASA 5500 line (specifically the 5510 or 5520) and interested in the CSC-SSM module, which does "Content Security" (i.e. anti-spam, anti-virus, etc).

Does anyone have experience with this module? Is it even worth getting? I'm sure rolling my own solution behind the ASA might be better, but I might end up doing both. However, I'm not entirely convinced about this module, thoughts?

I compared this module + ASA to Websense + ASA and ended up going with the Websense combo. I like the trilogy of Websense + Antivirus + MXLogic for content security (and Cisco Secure Agent if youre all about data leakage).

The rationale was future expansion in the 4ge expansion port, as well as licensing costs. Websense came ahead on $$.

The Beavis
Sep 11, 2008

jbusbysack posted:

I compared this module + ASA to Websense + ASA and ended up going with the Websense combo. I like the trilogy of Websense + Antivirus + MXLogic for content security (and Cisco Secure Agent if youre all about data leakage).

The rationale was future expansion in the 4ge expansion port, as well as licensing costs. Websense came ahead on $$.

Thanks for the info. What sort of tests did you perform on the CSC-SSM?

Cost aside, is it useful at all? It's not likely that I'll use the expansion port and the costs are well within my budget.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

The Beavis posted:

Thanks for the info. What sort of tests did you perform on the CSC-SSM?

Cost aside, is it useful at all? It's not likely that I'll use the expansion port and the costs are well within my budget.

To be completely honest - if your target enterprise doesn't already have virus protection and spam protection, you already have bigger problems than which card to shove into your ASA.

For testing we did none, the target implementation was a financial institution who was concerned about inbound virus/spam and data leakage/improper web surfing/protocol usage (IMs, https proxies etc).

Post what you're trying to accomplish and in what industry/setting/executive mandate and we can all talk it over.

CSC-SSM isn't completely useless, it just did not fit into the requirements I listed above.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Ugh, when did Cisco change the interface for downloading IOS? It looks like the menu tree system for lan switch code.

Also that "default interface" command is nifty.

The Beavis
Sep 11, 2008

jbusbysack posted:

To be completely honest - if your target enterprise doesn't already have virus protection and spam protection, you already have bigger problems than which card to shove into your ASA.

For testing we did none, the target implementation was a financial institution who was concerned about inbound virus/spam and data leakage/improper web surfing/protocol usage (IMs, https proxies etc).

Post what you're trying to accomplish and in what industry/setting/executive mandate and we can all talk it over.

CSC-SSM isn't completely useless, it just did not fit into the requirements I listed above.

We do have anti-virus on all desktops and servers, and anti-spam on the email server. My thinking was that an additional layer would help compound the effect. Spam is probably the one thing I would have wanted to target the most.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
We are using the CSC-SSM with the plus license. It was entirely worth it. Having the edge device kill smtp connections based on reputation services has saved quite a bit in bandwidth usage.

Which brings me to a question:

I would desperately like some method of reporting on traffic in and out of the ASA (total usage in 24 hour period, top talkers, etc) but the ASA 5510 doesnt have netflow. My gut keeps telling me that syslog is the answer and I am dicking around with kiwi right now but Im still missing something. What piece of the puzzle would I need here to be able to put together a traffic analysis system for not much moola?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
MRTG the switchports the ASA is plugged into. If there's a router interface close enough to an ASA to get relevant netflow stats, pull from that.

The Beavis
Sep 11, 2008

Syano posted:

We are using the CSC-SSM with the plus license. It was entirely worth it. Having the edge device kill smtp connections based on reputation services has saved quite a bit in bandwidth usage.

Which brings me to a question:

I would desperately like some method of reporting on traffic in and out of the ASA (total usage in 24 hour period, top talkers, etc) but the ASA 5510 doesnt have netflow. My gut keeps telling me that syslog is the answer and I am dicking around with kiwi right now but Im still missing something. What piece of the puzzle would I need here to be able to put together a traffic analysis system for not much moola?

Thanks for sharing. That's definitely something that we need as the majority of our TCP connections are smtp spam.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Of course, you could also have your email go live in Postini world, and not even have to deal with rejecting the SYNs. Not sure if that's a viable option for you, or not, but if all you're really looking to do is avoid having to deal with disreputable SMTP inbound, it could be worth considering.

The Beavis
Sep 11, 2008

jwh posted:

Of course, you could also have your email go live in Postini world, and not even have to deal with rejecting the SYNs. Not sure if that's a viable option for you, or not, but if all you're really looking to do is avoid having to deal with disreputable SMTP inbound, it could be worth considering.

Was looking at Postini now, that actually might be a good solution as it will minimize bandwidth. Do you use it? I'm assuming it's been good for you?

So that I'm not offtopic, anyone with experience with the AIP-SSM module?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The Beavis posted:

Was looking at Postini now, that actually might be a good solution as it will minimize bandwidth. Do you use it? I'm assuming it's been good for you?
We use it, yes, although I don't manage it, so I can't comment on that aspect. Our email guys seem to like it, though, and it means we don't have to allow wide open inbound smtp, so our security folks like it too.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
How can I put public IPs on machines on the inside interface of a PIX? It's not really NAT at that point, right?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

How can I put public IPs on machines on the inside interface of a PIX? It's not really NAT at that point, right?

I'm no PIX expert, but I think you need to trigger the NAT engine regardless- even if it's rewriting an address back to what it was originally.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

jwh posted:

I'm no PIX expert, but I think you need to trigger the NAT engine regardless- even if it's rewriting an address back to what it was originally.

We are doing exactly this so I would say that is an affirmative

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Syano posted:

We are doing exactly this so I would say that is an affirmative

Yeah, that's what I'm going to run with. Seems so clumsy to do it that way though.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CrazyLittle posted:

Do you want to physically address the machines with public IPs or just static NAT them at the firewall?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

jwh posted:

As it's been told to me, a PIX isn't a router. It has multiple interfaces, and it has a routing table, but it won't "route" traffic from one interface to another. Forwarding traffic between interfaces is accomplished via the nat translation statements, even if they aren't used to alter a source or destination address.

But I'm no PIX expert either.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

inignot posted:

As it's been told to me, a PIX isn't a router. It has multiple interfaces, and it has a routing table, but it won't "route" traffic from one interface to another. Forwarding traffic between interfaces is accomplished via the nat translation statements, even if they aren't used to alter a source or destination address.

But I'm no PIX expert either.

You're half right. The device will route traffic, but it must also pass the ACL and NAT / security-level conditions as well.

Edit: I'm approaching this from an ASA perspective, so apologies if pre-7 code PIX act differently.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
My only PIX exposure has, tragically, been to 6.3 code. I didn't run them either, I just submitted rule changes for new applications.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Turns out my first hunch was also right - you can't have the same subnet on both sides of the PIX/ASA. So these guys have a /28 on the outside of their ASA, and they wanted to use some of the spare public addresses directly on some of the servers behind the firewall. The two possible answers (plus one bonus answer) end up being:

1) Plug in a secondary NIC with a public IP outside of the firewall
2) split the /28 into two /29's and then put one /29 inside and one outside the firewall.
Wacky bonus answer) Tell the guy he's being retarded (in very nice terms) and have them use 1-to-1 NAT instead of directly assigning the IPs.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Oh. So you mean he wanted to actually assign the host itself a public IP and have that route through the ASA and have it translated to the same IP?

Yeah thats goofy just use 1 to 1 NAT

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Syano posted:

Oh. So you mean he wanted to actually assign the host itself a public IP and have that route through the ASA and have it translated to the same IP?

Yeah thats goofy just use 1 to 1 NAT

This. And then ACL up the IPs for security

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

CrazyLittle posted:

Turns out my first hunch was also right - you can't have the same subnet on both sides of the PIX/ASA. So these guys have a /28 on the outside of their ASA, and they wanted to use some of the spare public addresses directly on some of the servers behind the firewall. The two possible answers (plus one bonus answer) end up being:

1) Plug in a secondary NIC with a public IP outside of the firewall
2) split the /28 into two /29's and then put one /29 inside and one outside the firewall.
Wacky bonus answer) Tell the guy he's being retarded (in very nice terms) and have them use 1-to-1 NAT instead of directly assigning the IPs.

I'd go with your wacky bonus of telling them to use 1-to-1

Or you could set it up in transparent mode (which in 8.0.2 and above can now perform NAT/PAT) : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008089f467.shtml

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Halp guyz :smith:
I need to know how to change the timeout value on HTTP(s) on a Cisco PIX. I want to set it to 30 minutes.
It is a 515e.

For some background, here's a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2971800

*edit: Got ahold of a Cisco guy.
The command would be

pix# config t
pix(config)# timeout half-closed xxxxx

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 3, 2008

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
I'm trying to setup a ASA 5505 and I'm running into some issues. The quick rundown of our network structure is:

T1 > Router/firewall supplied by ISP > Switches > Computers.

Now, we have three IP's available to us, one is on the outside interface of the ISP's router/firewall, one is assigned to an IPRC card that is on the common network, and the third I am trying to use on the outside interface of the ASA.

When I hook up the ASA to the common network with the outside on DHCP, it picks up an IP, and with the acl's I have setup I can access the internet. When I change the outside interface to the static IP, I can't get out to the internet. From the ASA I can ping my gateway, though.

If I assign my computer on the same common network the IP info, I can get out on the internet just fine.

What could be going on? I'm going to completely reset the ASA here in a minute and try this again, but, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm stumped.

Edit: Nevermind, I hadn't set a default route to the outside. :downs:

permanoob fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
In the same vein as the previous post, I had an ASA 5505 preconfiged and shipped out to a remote site by a vendor. The device is responding to pings on its outside interface, the vpn back home is up, I can ssh in, I can talk to hosts on the inside of the ASA, however the ASA itself will not respond to my pings from its inside interface nor can I get into the ASDM. I can ssh into the outside interface but I am worthless once at the console. What should I be looking for?