Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Carnivale.

This is another example of a show I saw commercials for and didn't think I'd like, watched parts of an episode every now and then and didn't understand what was going on, and otherwise ignored. But then I read the wikipedia entry and downloaded the first season, and am now hooked.

This happened with Deadwood, too. And Rome. And The Wire. And The Sopranos. I seem to only realize I <3 HBO when the show I'm hooked on is ending or already canceled.

The show I binged on prior to this was Mad Men. The first season was scrumtralescent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahtzee
Jul 10, 2008
I went through a Battlestar binge a couple of months ago, Stargate Atlantis a couple of weeks ago and now I'm halfway through my annual Deep Space Nine marathon. Thanks to this thread Deadwood's going to be next.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Just finished Six Feet Under. Before that i watched the entirety of The Office, Dexter, Breaking Bad and rewatched Lost. I had to much time on my hands this summer without a job.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
I just finished season two of Dexter and season eleven of South Park.

Like somebody mentioned earlier. I tend to stick the DVD in and watch every episode, and sometimes I'll fall asleep during one of the episodes. When I wake up, I go back to the last thing I remember. I tell you, the dreams you get when Dexter is feeding into your subconscious can be pretty hosed up. After I watch the whole season, then I generally get into whatever special features there are and with these two shows, that isn't much, so then I watch again with the commentaries, and of all the commentaries I've listened to, the ones for South Park have to be the most disappointing. Maybe 5-10 minutes of each episode at best, and although I really like hearing what motivated them to do each episode, they just seem like they're phoning it in and could really give a poo poo about the commentary tracks.

I gotta get Netflix. I missed out on Deadwood because I missed the first episode, and I'm kind of weird about not bothering with the show if I miss the first episode. Same with The Wire, except that the first couple of episodes didn't really grab me, so I didn't bother after that. From everything I've heard, I could well have missed out on 2 of the best shows HBO ever did. Not gonna buy the DVD's though, and renting them is ridiculously expensive.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have been marathoning through a lot lately, sometimes for 10-14 hours non-stop.

I am picking up cheap box sets whenever I can and I have quite a few sitting in my shelf unopened (coming up: Six feet under, The Shield, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Mad Men).
So far, I have not been disappointed once, knock on wood.

I watched these over the last week.

Entourage looked like it wouldn't click with me, but it got me hooked after about 4 or 5 episodes. Although it really gets quite repetitive and sort of formulaic if watched in that condensed form. You really start noticing a lot of recurring themes, phrases and plot elements.
Still highly enjoyable though.

Californication is what I like to call "Sex and the city" for guys.
Duchovny is fantastic in this one. Not much to binge through with just a single season out yet, but I went through that in one sitting nevertheless. God bless Showtime and HBO.

How I met your mother
Meh. Just finished the first season. While I generally like it and will be watching the rest as well, I am not completely overwhelmed.
It's a tad generic and appears to be a hybrid of "Friends" and "Scrubs" (general theme of the first, some of the quirkiness of the latter). Maybe it's just that classic laughtrack/live audience sitcoms seem a little bit outdated these days, after watching and immensely enjoying a lot of shows like The Office, My Name is Earl, Curb your Enthusiasm etc.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'd think Entourage is more SATC for guys than Californication. Unless you're just talking about sex.

Finished Mad Men season 1 last night - fantastic.

Also I've started watching Chuck season 1, which is fun (if not great television). I find it very, very odd how that show seems to have stolen most of its 'important moment' music from my iPod.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
A friend of mine loaned me season 1 of Bones. I wasn't exactly blown away. The characters seemed pretty cartoonish. I'm not a huge fan of Emily Deschanel either. Her sister Zooey though...

It was okay.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I just got the first season of 24. I remember watching the first episode when it first came out, but didn't watch anymore after that because I didn't have TV at the time. I finally got around to getting it and I watched the first 4 episodes, instead of going to bed like I should have. So far so good...

I almost got the L Word, I watched it few years ago, and I haven't seen more than an episode or two of the most recent season, so it'd be nice to catch up. Plus, lesbians. Hell yeah.

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
Just finished Season 2 of Trailer Park Boys . I haven't laughed as hard, or felt as trashy afterwards in quite awhile.

I also recently caught up on Season 4 of Weeds when we got a free month of Showtime on Demand. I gotta say the magic is definitely wearing off, and I'm not too sure I'm going to subscribe when my free ride ends.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

mcbexx posted:

Californication is what I like to call "Sex and the city" for guys.
Duchovny is fantastic in this one. Not much to binge through with just a single season out yet, but I went through that in one sitting nevertheless. God bless Showtime and HBO.

I'm planning on watching this after I finish X-Files, and I'm excited to see Duchovny as such a different character. It is pretty graphic? I don't know anyone who watches it, sadly.

I'm a quarter way through season 6 of XF now - only taken me a month and a half. My god I watch too much tv, but I can't stop myself, this show is way too good. "Triangle" basically completed my life. I can die happy now. At what point would you guys say it starts to go downhill? I've heard various things, including that it starts sucking after they leave Vancouver after season 5, but season 6 has all been great so far (about to watch "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas").

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Qvindtar posted:

Just finished Season 2 of Trailer Park Boys . I haven't laughed as hard, or felt as trashy afterwards in quite awhile.

Good news, Seasons 3-5 are the best of TPB.

edit: make sure to watch the Christmas episode too, it takes place before the start of the series but was made between seasons 2 and 3 (I think), and ties in with a few things around that time in the series. It also happens to be an awesome episode ("Is the transmission drunk Ricky, because you are")

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 16, 2008

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Count Choculitis posted:

I'm planning on watching this after I finish X-Files, and I'm excited to see Duchovny as such a different character. It is pretty graphic?

Yes, I'd definetely say so.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I binged through all of OZ not too lon ago. I really enjoyed the show. I especially like how all the characters are total scumbags with no redeaming qualities.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just watched seasons 4-6 of The Shield in the last 4 days or so. The past two all-new episodes of season 7 have been incredible, and the show's so damned good I needed to go back and remind myself what happened in season 6... and then 5... and then 4... I think I'm gonna stop there, but the next new episode comes out tonight, so who knows if I'm still gonna be craving more Shield after that. I managed to get my roommate, who always says he hates dramas, to watch, and he ended up binging through the whole of season 4 with me yesterday.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm late to the party but I am burning through Dexter and The Wire. Nobody needs telling about these shows, but you know, you asked.

They are both up there with my favourite series.

Bacon Fish
Dec 15, 2007

Stop grinning like a fucking psycho and get back to work
Currently trying to get through all of Buffy. I'm on season 3 so far. Alternating between that and Will and Grace.

I'm running out of shows to watch.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 20, 2021

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I went through Californiacation pretty quick ondemand. can't wait for the second season to start. Gonna blast through Entourage next though.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

I've recently been introduced to Entourage and Weeds this past weekend.

My God, how have I not ever watched Entourage before? Excellent, hilarious show. Weeds is a bit more drama-y, but still has it's sweet, sweet comedy. I will be coming back for more for sure.

The only bad thing is: I sat down to watch Entourage in the middle of season 3, missed the rest of three and came back in later at season 4, and am now caught up with the television broadcasts, at season 5. I am hooked. I will be marathoning the first three seasons immediately.

A couple other shows I've been meaning to watch straight through are Venture Bros, the beginning of Firefly, and BSG. I had the same thing happen with BSG as I did with Entourage as well, and it's a little more harsh. Was introduced in season 4, didn't know what the gently caress, and proceeded to watch all recent episodes that aired to the current hiatus regardless. I went back and watched the miniseries and first few episodes of the first season and nearly exploded from the sheer concentration of awesome. I very much enjoyed it. I really, really need to just run through the rest of it, despite being majorly, MAJORLY spoiled. :argh: It's a good enough show to warrant that, though. Yeah, yeah, it sucks that when I watch through the series now, when I see someone die, or just something really lovely happen, I know they pull through because I'VE SEEN THE FUTURE. That's gonna take away from the immersiveness just a bit. I'm just gonna pretend I don't know.

Yeah...that'll work...

:smith:

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Life on Hulu. It's a cute series, I really dig the protagonist, I'm about halfway through. Was the show canceled?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mrens posted:

Life on Hulu. It's a cute series, I really dig the protagonist, I'm about halfway through. Was the show canceled?

As far as I know it was picked up, but I don't know when it's coming back.

The music in that show was fantastic, and I'll watch Damien Lewis in anything.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Minimaul posted:

I just got the first season of 24. I remember watching the first episode when it first came out, but didn't watch anymore after that because I didn't have TV at the time. I finally got around to getting it and I watched the first 4 episodes, instead of going to bed like I should have. So far so good...

I almost got the L Word, I watched it few years ago, and I haven't seen more than an episode or two of the most recent season, so it'd be nice to catch up. Plus, lesbians. Hell yeah.

Haha, everyone's favorite gorgeous bisexual terrorist from 24, Mandy, is on The L Word.

Also, be prepared because 24 goes downhill after the second season and it takes a gently caress long time to climb it's way back out.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mrens posted:

As has been mentioned it's been renewed and starts up again soon (29th September I think). The other good news is that while there were a few duff episodes, the two part finale was all kinds of awesome/badass. So you've got something to look forward to.

dangerousjim
Oct 4, 2006

dangerous like the cancerous superaids
Just binged through Friday Night Lights season 1, really enjoyed it. Waiting for season 2 to arrive now!

Also I've been rampaging through Frasier, and I seem to be the only one here? Has everyone else seen em all, or not like it? I was always a fan of it, and watched it when it was on TV, but just recently I've been devouring it season by season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

dangerousjim posted:

Just binged through Friday Night Lights season 1, really enjoyed it. Waiting for season 2 to arrive now!

Also I've been rampaging through Frasier, and I seem to be the only one here? Has everyone else seen em all, or not like it? I was always a fan of it, and watched it when it was on TV, but just recently I've been devouring it season by season.

Frasier's a good show, it's just not a very goony show, from what I can tell. Not too many ordinary sitcoms make waves here; most of the shows that get everyone worked up are dramas with long story arcs and complicated storylines, like The Wire, BSG, or the Shield. A lot of crappy anime, too, it seems. I liked Frasier a lot, but there's not that much to discuss about it compared to stuff like Dexter and Lost. It was a clever little comedy with likeable characters, but they just never did anything too deep or complex with it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

uXs posted:

I'm currently going through Star Trek DS9, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, and Babylon 5. At this point I only have unwatched episodes in my possession of Babylon 5. (I basically watch whatever I have left, then I go buy more seasons of whatever there is in the shop. I'd get bored watching the same series all the time.) Current status: finished season 6 of DS9 and SG-1, finished season 3 of Buffy, and watching season 3 of B5.

Series I have previously watched in this manner are the X-Files and Ally McBeal. (Btw, don't watch all of Ally McBeal in a week, it's depressing. How I didn't kill myself, I still don't know. The X-Files does work, but it makes you have hosed up dreams.) I also have Blackadder, which is totally awesome and which I had seen everything of before I got the DVD's, and The League of Gentlemen, which is great in the first 2 seasons and not so great in the 3rd.

In the future, I more or less plan to watch Angel, Carnivale, Firefly, The Wire, Veronica Mars, House, and probably some more that I'm forgetting. (Rome.)

Unfinished series I have left:
Twin Peaks: I stopped watched at some point in season 2, for no particular reason. Will resume later.
Monty Python: As good as it is, after watching 2 or 3 seasons in a row, it gets a bit silly. Will resume later.

Finally, series I watched as they came out: Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and Heroes. I didn't get 24 because it got way too bad in season 6 or whatever, and it turned me away from the series.

Oh, and for some reason I always get the urge the buy Charmed on DVD. I've been able to control myself for now though. It helps that they are rather expensive. Make them 5 euros cheaper and God help me.

Quoting myself for update:

I'm still going through Star Trek DS9, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, and Babylon 5. SG-1 DVDs were easier to find than the others, so now I've seen all but the last season, and I've started watching Atlantis as well.

I had difficulties getting DVDs of all the above, so I watched the first seasons of Carnivale and Rome and the first two seasons of House in between. All these series kick major rear end and I'll watch more as soon as I am able.

I've also finished watching Twin Peaks (got worse and worse in the second season, thank god the last episode was decent), and watched some more Monty Python. I stopped in season 4 because it doesn't have John Cleese in it, which sucks.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've had the last disc of Season 5 of The Wire for a week now. I don't want to watch it because that means the show is over. :(

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Annakie posted:

I've had the last disc of Season 5 of The Wire for a week now. I don't want to watch it because that means the show is over. :(
I just watched the last episode today after binging through the series over the last couple of weeks. Now there's no more Wire :(

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Last: Alien Nation
Current: X-Files
Previous binges: Babylon 5, Enterprise, Top Gear, The Office(US and UK), 24(up to season 3)

Just on top of the other shows I'm watching, of course

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

V-Men posted:

Haha, everyone's favorite gorgeous bisexual terrorist from 24, Mandy, is on The L Word.

Also, be prepared because 24 goes downhill after the second season and it takes a gently caress long time to climb it's way back out.

yeah, I love the L Word. I should re-watch that...

I've had a feeling that would happen with 24 and figure as much from some things I've read here and there. I'm near the end of season 2 and the whole time I'm watching I'm thinking "what the hell are they going to do after this [season]?" I guess I'll find out cause I'll plow throw the series regardless... If i can make it through Smallville and Grays Anatomy then I'm sure I could make it through this.

elcapitanqwerty
Apr 22, 2005

Some do. Most don't. I do.
Just binged through all of Death Note over the course of the past few days. I'm not an adtrw sort of person, so I wasn't expecting to like it when my friend suggested it, but boy was I ever wrong. It's all on Hulu too. Excellent detective/supernatural/cat&mouse/world domination stuff.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just started watching Sopranos last week and I'm about 5 episodes into season 3. I have to say I have yet to encounter a character on TV that I hate more than Janice Soprano. Is it sick that I found it immensely satisfying when she got punched in her fat loving mouth by Richie and then later the Russians? Someone please tell me she isn't around much in the later seasons.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

The Duke posted:

I just started watching Sopranos last week and I'm about 5 episodes into season 3. I have to say I have yet to encounter a character on TV that I hate more than Janice Soprano. Is it sick that I found it immensely satisfying when she got punched in her fat loving mouth by Richie and then later the Russians? Someone please tell me she isn't around much in the later seasons.

Sorry man, she's going to be around for a loooooong time.

My condolences.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Just finished The Wire tonight after obsessing over it for about two months. :( Seasons three and four were my favourites. I'm sad that there's no more of it left to watch, but I can now start on what seems to be the next stage of being a fan of the show: frantically trying to convince everyone you know to watch it.

I also watched two and a half seasons of Lost in under a week, mostly late at night, which meant I was slightly freaked out when Lance Reddick (who plays Cedric Daniels on The Wire) suddenly appeared and started talking to Hurley. Season four was insane. I'm really curious what direction things are going to take now. Hurry up, 2009.

Judging by this thread I should check out The Shield.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
Going through the first two seasons of My Name is Earl in anticipation of season three arriving next Tuesday.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Donny Brook posted:

Going through the first two seasons of My Name is Earl in anticipation of season three arriving next Tuesday.

You mean last Thursday, when it premiered? :)

You can catch up on Hulu, if you have access to it.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Annakie posted:

You mean last Thursday, when it premiered? :)

You can catch up on Hulu, if you have access to it.

No, I mean I ordered season 3 and it's coming on Tuesday. Season 4 just started airing last Thursday.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Donny Brook posted:

No, I mean I ordered season 3 and it's coming on Tuesday. Season 4 just started airing last Thursday.

Whoops it looks like my plan to block season 3 out of my mind was successful, sorry. :)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm pretty well stalled out on six feet under at the moment. I'm 6 or 7 eps into S3, but I've been literally sitting doing nothing for 95% of the past two weeks (ankle injury), yet only watched 2 episodes. I tore through the first two seasons; how the hell did this series so rapidly drive me to ambivalence?

I did manage to inadvertantly spoil the series finale (drat you, tv.com -- I just wanted some episode ratings to know if this loving show picked up soon!), but it was, based on people's "non-spoiler" discussion, what I was 90% sure would happen anyway.

I dunno, I'm sure I'll soldier through at some point, I just really hope s4 and 5 aren't nearly the slog this season has so far been. (It probably doesn't help that Trueblood is crappy enough to lower Alan Ball in my esteem.)

I'm also still at the beginning of S5 of MASH, which I'd put on hold for SFU. Perhaps I'll just phase back into that for a while.

I did marathon Californication a couple weeks ago, and enjoyed it immensely. The leaked first two eps of S2 were particularly great, given the questionable S1 resolution they had to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill posted:

Last month I went through 30 Rock season 2, getting ready for season 3 to air in October.

After 30 Rock I've been binging through Dexter and am about halfway through season 2.

Next up will be Stargate SG1, as I picked up the complete series boxset a few weeks back and I haven't seen some of the older episodes in years.

Shows I still need to watch, which I'll do eventually:
Eureka
Skins
Weeds season 4
Green Wing season 2
Alright, progress report...

Finished 'em recently:
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Eureka Season 1 & 2
Skins season 1 & 2 (great show)
Weeds season 4
Green Wing season 2 + special
Dexter season 1
When we left Earth
Entourage season 1

Watching now:
Dexter season 2
Topgear Australia (as it airs)
Eureka Season 3 (as it airs)
Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles season 2 (as it airs)
Underbelly (3 eps left)
Entourage season 2

Coming soon:
30 Rock season 3
Dexter season 3
Entourage season 3 & 4
Babylon 5 (as i slowly borrow the dvds/movies)
Topgear (UK) season 12