Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

That's a monster of a list. It'll probably take a while to get through that, but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying at least a few of those bands based on sheer numbers. Only one I've heard is Wolves in the Throne Room and I think they're just dandy. Thanks.

I'd definitely say listen to Drudkh if you like summoning. One of my fav BM bands ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 23, 2020

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gvaz posted:

Catamenia
Note that only Catamenia's first two albums have anything to do with black metal (they ape the first few Dimmu albums pretty hard), and the rest of their catalogue is really quite mediocre, generic Finnish-style melodeath in the vein of an incredibly average Insomnium/Omnium Gatherum/whatever.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gvaz posted:

Tell me if any of that helped :shobon:
Honestly, lists of 20 bands with no descriptions are of really limited usefulness. If you're going to post huge lists like that, try to put in a few words for each band; mention what they sound like, relate them to another band the person might have heard of, something to separate them from the 19 other bands you listed. In general I don't think anyone has any problems finding a list of 20 black metal bands they don't know anything about, the idea of recommendations is to give people a place to start.

Gvaz posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room (gently caress what goons say, this band is good)
SA is actually pretty evenly divided on the band. A lot of people really love it, a lot of people don't think it's anything special. It would be far more useful to do what I said above, compare them to other bands, describe their sound, something other than "Some hate them but I like them!! :colbert:", because that really tells the reader absolutely nothing unless they already have a good idea of your taste.

aliencowboy posted:

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
Yeah, I'd be curious too, they have an interesting formula, it's almost like power metal composition filtered through a black metal aesthetic.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

het posted:

Yeah, I'd be curious too, they have an interesting formula, it's almost like power metal composition filtered through a black metal aesthetic.

It's called melodic death metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MrBling posted:

It's called melodic death metal.
Yeah, I'm hesitant to call them black metal too. It's melodeath in a diminished scale. I think even Naglfar and Anorexia Nervosa are blacker than these guys.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

aliencowboy posted:

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/swornband

I somewhat agree with those calling Sworn less-than-black, but I'm with you on the fan bus. If you can stand a bit more frost on the melodic sound, Sigtyr, Feigd, Mistur, Iskald, Gjenferdsel, Galar, newer Immortal, and obviously Windir.

All have myspace pages to give you a good idea of their sound.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, I'm hesitant to call them black metal too. It's melodeath in a diminished scale. I think even Naglfar and Anorexia Nervosa are blacker than these guys.
production-wise they're closer to black metal than death metal though. I mean you can complain about that being a really superficial definition and I wouldn't exactly disagree but at the same time if someone called them melodic black metal I wouldn't think that's unreasonable. It doesn't really matter much though.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

het posted:

Honestly, lists of 20 bands with no descriptions are of really limited usefulness. If you're going to post huge lists like that, try to put in a few words for each band; mention what they sound like, relate them to another band the person might have heard of, something to separate them from the 19 other bands you listed. In general I don't think anyone has any problems finding a list of 20 black metal bands they don't know anything about, the idea of recommendations is to give people a place to start.

You're right, and I was about 1200 words into a reply going over me trying to describe the bands the best I could, when my computer hardlocked on me t:mad: I guess I shoulda used Office to type it out.

Basically though Sieghetnar sounds like Burzum prison albums with better everything, some of these bands have gone from distorted bm sound to bm sound with ambient works, and they're similar in a bunch of ways but aren't carbon copies of each other. I want to say different things about some of them, but while I was typing I re-went through them and the style is all something they have in common, or at least I think so. I said that since Leviathan's work is mostly bmish that you should try A Silhouette for Splinters. Xasthur is like Sunn O))) and Burzum had a misanthropic kid with most of his sound like he's through a noise/distortion filter, Drudkh is folkish, and is probably something you'd enjoy since you like Summoning. Isengard is another you'd like that makes me think of an ambient summoning.

I'm pretty sure most of these have myspaces, or at the least fan myspaces (because the artist doesn't give a poo poo about myspace or doesn't like myspace for the most part.) Reading their last.fm's now, and those people had better descriptions for them than I had written up.

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2008

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Well, I jumped the gun and bought the PYHA album The Haunted House. Track number 10 is beautifully amazing, and makes the purchase worth it.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Am I allowed to hate hardcore breakdowns in general but love them on the Abigail Williams album?

I also love it when they drop into blackened thrash in the bridges of a few of their songs, it's so delicious.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
I just got the new Krallice S/T, with members of Behold... The Arctopus and some other "spazzy" metal band, and I gotta say this is pretty good, but it's kind of obvious these guys are unfamiliar with BM as a whole. And the vocals really suck, but are really, really low in the mix.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

primitive posted:

Am I allowed to hate hardcore breakdowns in general but love them on the Abigail Williams album?

I also love it when they drop into blackened thrash in the bridges of a few of their songs, it's so delicious.

Are there even any breakdowns on the new album? I remember a recurring pseudo-breakdown on "Like Carrion Birds" from the Legend EP but none other than that.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Noktorn posted:

So from someone's who's heard the album, how horrible is Krallice on a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being the worst.

Horrible? On the contrary; this album is loving phenomenal. So far, 2008 has sucked for black metal releases, this and the new Arckanum LP, "Antikosmos" are the only one's I've heard that have been very excellent.

Fans of Deathspell Omega and Weakling/Wolves in the Throne Room should enjoy this album; it has the dissonance of DSO's newer works without the religious nihilism and the epic and organic feel of Wealking/WitTR. Fantastic basswork. It's pretty minimal but it's subtle in helping create the great chord progressions and chord resolutions this album has. And there's a bit of a shoegazey atmosphere without making the music feel blatantly or overtly hipster.

So on a scale from 0-10, 0 being worthless and 10 being as close to perfection as possible, this album gets a 9 from me. It's probably gonna be the best BM album of the year for me.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Death Rotisserie posted:

Fans of Deathspell Omega and Weakling/Wolves in the Throne Room should enjoy this album; it has the dissonance of DSO's newer works without the religious nihilism and the epic and organic feel of Wealking/WitTR. Fantastic basswork. It's pretty minimal but it's subtle in helping create the great chord progressions and chord resolutions this album has. And there's a bit of a shoegazey atmosphere without making the music feel blatantly or overtly hipster.

Sorry, your first statement completely contradicts your last. DSO after Inquisitors of Satan is basically now hipster material, Wolves in the Throneroom always have been hipster BM and Weakling were a relatively mediocre black metal band who have received far too much credit simply for being from the USA and now get more praise they don't deserve for being an influence of newer, shittier bands.

The new Arckanum album is alright, shame the best song was the one released on the EP as well. The new Mgla has its issues also, particularly the drum sound, which is weird considering Darkside is a drummer. I've still not bothered listening to the new Darkestrah.

Last year spoiled black metal a bit in that before january was over there were 3 top class albums out (of which Lunar Aurora's Andacht was probably the best). This year it's the oldschool death metal revival that's been pumping out the quality.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gr31lly posted:

hipster material
In the context of black metal what the gently caress does this even mean

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

White leather bullet belts?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Misogynist posted:

Southern Lord.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

I've still not bothered listening to the new Darkestrah.
It's not bad, but not particularly compelling.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I guess what he means is instead of only appealing to people who wear bm shirts and studded leather jackets/belts/pants, it also appeals to people working in advertisement who wear orange sweaters.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 29, 2008

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Dyna Soar posted:

I guess what he means is instead of only appealing to people who wear bm shirts and studded leather jackets/belts/pants, it also appeals to people working in advetisement who wear orange sweaters.

I like the idea of a concert crowd for one of those bands being half a bunch of scowling dudes with their arms crossed wearing that uniform, and the other half is smiling guys in bright orange sweaters.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

krustster posted:

I like the idea of a concert crowd for one of those bands being half a bunch of scowling dudes with their arms crossed wearing that uniform, and the other half is smiling guys in bright orange sweaters.

Those guys would be scowling because they're reevaluating their musical tastes on the spot

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

MrBling posted:

Southern Lord.

Southern Lord is retarded but it seems the rest of the world hasn't caught on, I guess they're too busy buying 500 loving different color Boris LPs to notice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

I guess what he means is instead of only appealing to people who wear bm shirts and studded leather jackets/belts/pants, it also appeals to people working in advetisement who wear orange sweaters.
Yeah, I kind of get the impression that if people listen to something and for whatever reason aren't hilarious black metal fan stereotypes with "RAHOWA 14/88" tattooed on their cock, they're hipsters, and this somehow has something to do with what music sounds like.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 29, 2008

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Sometimes people use it in reference to "watered down" or "more radio friendly" sounding music.

I guess if it's not "kvlt" enough...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gvaz posted:

Sometimes people use it in reference to "watered down" or "more radio friendly" sounding music.

I guess if it's not "kvlt" enough...
I totally voted for Xasthur's "Screaming at Forgotten Fears" video (the one with Jack Black and Will Ferrell in it) on Headbanger's Ball

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, I kind of get the impression that if people listen to something and for whatever reason aren't hilarious black metal fan stereotypes with "RAHOWA 14/88" tattooed on their cock, they're hipsters, and this somehow has something to do with what music sounds like.

Indeed, and those sorts of people only listen to demos limited to twenty copies on cassette! Additionally, what's the deal with airline food.

Scunthog
Jul 22, 2003
Speaking of 14/88, new M8l8th tracks are up on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/m8l8tx Im liking the new sound, really reminds me of Temnozor, but really would of liked something similar to By the Wings of Black.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess some people use the term "hipster black metal" to describe certain bands that are popular mainly because of immense hype (Weakling, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room that sort) rather than any sort of quality output and it's fairly easy to get tired of all these people who just eat up whatever Southern Lord and Hydra Head pushes who goes on about how they're the best black metal bands ever.

Or maybe people just like the word "hipster", I don't know.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
hipster black metal is the poo poo that gets featured on aquarius records' site

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

cryme posted:

hipster black metal is the poo poo that gets featured on aquarius records' site

They have the tendency to make every album sound amazing though only less than a quarter of those albums are even worth listening.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone else heard the new Cradle of Filth album, Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder? It's leaked.

The only reason I risk my black metal interweb street cred with mentioning their name is that it reminds me a lot of their first 3 albums. Particularly Cruelty and the Beast. Anyone else agree?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anyone else heard the new Cradle of Filth album, Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder? It's leaked.

The only reason I risk my black metal interweb street cred with mentioning their name is that it reminds me a lot of their first 3 albums. Particularly Cruelty and the Beast. Anyone else agree?

Not that I've heard it (or am intending to) but sounding like Cruelty isn't exactly a compliment. Personally I mean in the composition sense, but production-wise as well.

Also I am laughing pretty hard at you guys cracking knuckles and huffing and puffing away at the tastes of a hypothetical someone else. Especially at Gr31lly.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Kaiho posted:

Also I am laughing pretty hard at you guys cracking knuckles and huffing and puffing away at the tastes of a hypothetical someone else. Especially at Gr31lly.

Let me guess, you have Dead As Dreams on vinyl, don't you.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Noktorn posted:

Let me guess, you have Dead As Dreams on vinyl, don't you.

I don't... (in fact I had to google the title) but I do have Southern Lord stuff on vinyl (Earth's HEX and WitTR's Diadem of 12 Stars) so I guess I fit your hipster scumbag stereotype.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Kaiho posted:

What? The only people who're getting into a strop over this are the people screaming about "omg how dare you call my stuff hipster". I couldn't really care less what you listen to, however it is worth pointing out which bands are receiving completely undeserved hype so others don't think that they're universally acclaimed releases. Because they are not.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 1, 2008

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
Just thought I'd mention that Varg Vikernes was denied parole once again. For those who speak Norwegian: http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2008/09/30/548632.html

Apparently he has a French wife.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Cool, keep him in jail forever.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I agree, gently caress him sideways. Not for anything he did, but for being such an ego maniacal dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 23, 2020