Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spiralbrain posted:

If Jeep made a hybrid wrangler (X, Rubi, whatever) that used a diesel engine, I think a lot of people would be all over it. How long have Jeep enthusiasts been begging for a diesel engine from the factory?? (I mean in the US) *sigh*
I expect Jeep to be getting a lot of correspondence that basically boils down to "Sell us a J8 you cuntmonkeys".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InitialDave posted:

I expect Jeep to be getting a lot of correspondence that basically boils down to "Sell us a J8 you cuntmonkeys".

That pretty well sums up my feelings about modern day Jeep.

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
Why don't you Jeep guys wave at me like you used to when I drove my '94 Sahara in high school?

It's because she's too good looking isn't it?

'09 JK X, 6 speed purchased on Labor day, about 160 miles on it now.

Naysayers of the JK be damned this jeeps is much nicer than my old Sahara (my sister drives it now, and it is still an awesome jeep).

It is completely stock now but I have some pretty big plans for it down the road.

Dukkha fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 27, 2008

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Here is my '98 TJ in pretty close to its current state. The rusty tube bumper has been replaced by a stock bumper scavenged from another Jeep getting an upgrade.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Now, as you will notice, there is a woefully small amount of ground clearance on this vehicle. Since I now have the funds (sort of) to correct that, I figured I would see what experience and suggestions you guys had on what to put in it. It has the 4 cylinder and the AX15, so anything too large is out, and on my budget ($600) I don't think I can afford a CV drive shaft and SYE. So this is the basic plan as of now:
So thoughts on my selections? Good and/or bad companies to buy from? Think there is a better product for my application? Think I'm dumb for even attempting this on my budget?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Blackmage Yapo posted:

So thoughts on my selections? Good and/or bad companies to buy from? Think there is a better product for my application? Think I'm dumb for even attempting this on my budget?

Your not dumb for doing this on your budget. I finally get to start order parts for my GC next week and am super psyched. The procomp kit comes with shocks so you would be good there but there are other options for shocks if you dont want to buy that kit. Check out the MX-6 Adjustable shock if you want a little bit more adjustability. Other sway bar disconnects you could consider would be JKS Quicker Disconnects. Im actually ordering the MX-6 shocks and JKS disconnects next week so I may be a little biased.

The two main places ill be ordering from will probably be http://www.kevinsoffroad.com and http://www.ironrockoffroad.com Kevins is mostly for the Grand Cherokee crown but Iron rock has parts for different jeeps including yours. Check them out

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I've been looking to get a small SUV for a while now and I think I'm going to get a used Liberty. There's a ton of them for ~$10k (CDN) around here with low kms and all of the options, and it's way more comfortable than the TJs I've sat in (it'll be a commuter car). I know they're generally not thought of very highly as "real" Jeeps, but do you guys have any personal experience with them?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've been looking to get a small SUV for a while now and I think I'm going to get a used Liberty. There's a ton of them for ~$10k (CDN) around here with low kms and all of the options, and it's way more comfortable than the TJs I've sat in (it'll be a commuter car). I know they're generally not thought of very highly as "real" Jeeps, but do you guys have any personal experience with them?

We own an '02 KJ thats about as bare bones as you can get. You are correct in thinking they aren't "real" Jeeps, but they mud well. Moving on, great highway cars with the 3.7 V6, ours has 80k miles on it and most of that is highway. We have had very few problems with it, although currently its having an electrical issue where it keeps blowing a specific fuse. Find one with the 5-speed manual if you can, its a lot of fun.

And still looking for any input on how to mod my TJ.

EDIT: VVV The ~2" of extra clearance that would get me for the same amount of money isn't worth it considering I can get those 2" plus articulation, but replacing the sliders is on the list. VVV

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 28, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Blackmage Yapo posted:

And still looking for any input on how to mod my TJ.

If you are concerned about ground clearance, I'd toss those side steps ASAP and replace with a steel rocker panel protection/rock slider that doesn't add to clearance.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Anyone ever put a sunroof in a jeep hardtop? I've seen em around and have even found a few I like but was wondering about the install on the fiberglass hardtop. Safelite autoglass doesn't do sunroofs anymore. I assume it's cutting a hole based on a template and clamping in the ring and some sort of sealant around the ring.

Just looking for some insight before I wind up with a huge hosed up hole in my hardtop.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
A few thoughts on the new JK:

After owning my 2 door JK Rubicon for a few months now, I've actually come up with a couple things that bug me about it.

1. It's too quiet. I don't quite get the "feedback" I used to with my TJ. At times I'll be cruising down the freeway only to look at my tach and realize I'm doing 70 in 4th gear. I'm going to eventually put on an aftermarket exhaust and see if that helps.

2. I can't see poo poo out of the back window. It's tiny. And those stupid headrests on the back bench don't help at all either. I took them off and it's a little better, but between the wiper motor and the spare tire, the back window is pretty worthless. I hadn't noticed this before since I had the top off all summer, but now that it's fall and the top is on until June, I'm going to have to live with it.

3. The grille is plastic. Now that's just stupid.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Braincloud posted:

3. The grille is plastic. Now that's just stupid.
I actually liked that about them when I test drove them. Seems like it will hold up quite a bit better. While it's not perfectly vertical anymore but it's close enough that I would expect it to be a rock chip magnet. I suppose if you live outside of the rust belt that's not a big deal but here in MN it would be great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just had to post a pic of my XJ, it's been the perfect vehicle for managing a campground. I've got a bunch of hiking trails to chose from, and we don't allow motor vehicles on them but I'm the manager and the trails need to be maintained. Needless to say I "maintain" them quite a bit. :)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

leica posted:

Just had to post a pic of my XJ, it's been the perfect vehicle for managing a campground. I've got a bunch of hiking trails to chose from, and we don't allow motor vehicles on them but I'm the manager and the trails need to be maintained. Needless to say I "maintain" them quite a bit. :)

You are so lucky. Looking to hire any help? I have a perfect vehicle for trail work.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
My 2004 Wrangler does some wierd thing that I've never had a vehicle do before. When I start it for the first time in the day, I can hear a "tick-tock" sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. It sounds like an old clock, and lasts for about 30 seconds. The only thing I can think of is that the fuel pump does something weird when it's ice cold. Anyone else have this going on?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Just go for a 2" budget boost, which is 4 coil spacers ($100), and 4 new shocks (~$150). With that you'll be able to run 33's, and you can get a set of lightly used mud terrains with the remainder if you look around on craigslist or know some people in the off-roading scene.

Donnie Darko
Jul 25, 2002
Thanks to this thread, my '98 Honda Accord is now resting happily elsewhere and this somehow ended up in my driveway

and I couldn't be happier. The previous owner kept it immaculate on the inside, had it serviced regularly, had a remote starter installed, and also installed a cd player along with a subwoofer. It runs great and it's a blast to drive. The only flaw I've found with it so far is a scratch about a foot or so long on the driver's side door which is only noticeable from within a couple feet.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Well I got my IPF lights in the mail today. I still have no idea how to run the wiring, but I will give it a go on Saturday. If anyone has a 1990 or similar model with roof mounted lights I would appreciate some suggestions.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
Well it had to happen sooner or later, but the header on my 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0 is cracked. Does anybody have some websites on where I can order a good replacement? Hopefully one that won't crack in the future :argh:

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

Donnie Darko posted:

This is probably one of the nicest older Cherokees I've seen. Congrats!

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That pretty well sums up my feelings about modern day Jeep.

People have been buying the Jeep Libertys just to rip out the CRD diesels and put them in more 'Jeep-like' vehicles. I've seen it happen several times

HolyChase
Aug 25, 2004

"I'm an alcoholic, and I'm still better than you."
Well in my quest to leave my decent paying defense contractor job and pursue a teaching career I had to trade in my '06 S2000 to get a cheaper, but hopefully still reliable vehicle. I always wanted a Wrangler and I ended up with a black '02 Jeep Wrangler Sport. It has a 128,000 miles on it, which I hope won't be a problem and seems in pretty drat good condition to me. I don't know anything about cars but my friend's bro in law said it looked drat solid to him (he drives a 70s CJ though) I will post pictures whenever I can borrow a camera unless you guys want to see the autotrader ones. I couldn't be dead certain at the time, but I just took the VIN to a Chrysler dealership and they confirmed it has the optional Dana 44 rear so I am stoked.

Couple questions as I don't know much about cars. The tires are new off road 31" 10.5s but the spare on the back is a 30 9.5. Is that even usable as a spare or will I have to get the same size? And if I do, I am assuming there are kits to raise that rear brake light right?

What is the best way to put the Best fit (I think that is what the sticker on it said) soft top back up? Latch it, windows, then push in the sides or some other order? And the back window seems to just hang loose, what am I missing?

And should I just take my first tanks 15 mpg as default or could something be wrong? I put premium too but I don't know if it is even worth it. Sorry about the length, but I am stoked and already in love with this Jeep but I don't have the car knowledge to back it up!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

HolyChase posted:

It has a 128,000 miles on it,

That's quite a lot of miles. I hope you got a good deal on it.

HolyChase posted:

What is the best way to put the Best fit (I think that is what the sticker on it said) soft top back up? Latch it, windows, then push in the sides or some other order? And the back window seems to just hang loose, what am I missing?

It's probably a BestTop. And it sounds like you're missing the tailgate bar that attaches to the bottom of the back window.

Here:
http://www.shopjeepparts.com/bestop-tailgate-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-199706-p-4484.html
(I just grabbed the first google result - I'm sure you can find a cheaper one).

HolyChase posted:

And should I just take my first tanks 15 mpg as default or could something be wrong? I put premium too but I don't know if it is even worth it.

I got about 15-17 mpg in my TJ. Also, don't use premium. It's not doing you any good and you're just wasting money. I assume you have the 4.0L which runs great off of regular.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

The premium gas comment just reminded me how much I want a 4.7L stroker engine in my XJ. Does anyone here have a stroker in their jeep?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

HolyChase posted:

I put premium too but I don't know if it is even worth it.
Don't do this, the 4.0 will run on anything that burns and you are wasting money. If anything the premium is worse for your truck, it was engineered to run on regular unleaded and that is what it craves. You might consider looking into octane levels and requirements a little bit, premium isn't always better, it's black and white, either you need it or you don't.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I just welded the broken sway bar mount in the front that I have been putting off for at least 6 months. Now the jeep is now 98% repaired of the damage I have cause it. Soon I can begin on actual upgrades again.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just welded the broken sway bar mount in the front that I have been putting off for at least 6 months. Now the jeep is now 98% repaired of the damage I have cause it. Soon I can begin on actual upgrades again.

Is that a Weyland-Yutani welding helmet?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is that a Weyland-Yutani welding helmet?

Yes it is. I have two welding helmets and I decided to pimp the better one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2856460&pagenumber=10#lastpost

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes it is. I have two welding helmets and I decided to pimp the better one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2856460&pagenumber=10#lastpost

Now you just need to stick a "Always 5x5" sticker over the 4x4 on the Jeep.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

The King of Swag posted:

Now you just need to stick a "Always 5x5" sticker over the 4x4 on the Jeep.

That is a good idea. I also need a bitchin dropship to carry the jeep in. That reminds me that I need to put the Aliens movies on my movie list. I have convince some friends to join me in a marathon of all the movies.

No the AVP movies do not count and I will punch any of them who ask.

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

Well gently caress. The BA-10 in my Comanche seem to have shat itself. I'm not 100 percent sure yet, it may that the be the clutch line has a leak and losing fluid is causing the clutch to not disengage, and therefore causing it to not shift correctly. I hope thats it, but I'm afraid that thats actually what caused my transmission to go.

Oh, and it sounds (and feels) like I'm stirring a bunch of rock in a bucket when I run through the gears with it sitting. I'm leaning towards hosed. At least it let me limp home I got home before the clutch decided to entirely stop working- that happened as I tried to reverse into my parking spot.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Ok, I feel stupid for needing to ask this, but the only time the axle fluid was ever changed in my '98 XJ was about 60k miles ago and whoever did it ripped the identification tag off. Am I correct in thinking that this is the 8.25" rear end?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Eww, here's an angle that hasn't been ruined by Michigan roads.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Also, I've never opened one of these up before so is there any sage advice I should know that wouldn't be in the repair manual?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Lately I've been noticing a high pitched whine from my 88 Cherokee, it seems to get louder under acceleration/climbing and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. Is the (Automatic) transmission on the way out or could it be something else?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Cat Hatter posted:

Ok, I feel stupid for needing to ask this, but the only time the axle fluid was ever changed in my '98 XJ was about 60k miles ago and whoever did it ripped the identification tag off. Am I correct in thinking that this is the 8.25" rear end?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

A D35 is more round, I'm 98% sure that is a 8.25. D35s and 8.25s both have 10 bolt covers and use plastic drain plugs.

AH HA!

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Jeep_Axle_Info_and_Ratios.htm

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
Jesus; I just replaced my BFG AT's and it's like driving an entirely different car.

I forgot how well this car can ride with a properly balanced and new set of tires. Had to let some air out of the tires the first time i hit a bump and clacked my loving teeth together. 35 psi? PSSSSSSSSSSH.

Scrubed fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 6, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Does anyone have any experience using the Jeep Trail guide?? They are still pretty expensive to get a hold of (~$600), but its also one of the few models that I know of that does breadcrumbs. Is this thing worth the money or are there some better alternatives out there??

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

spiralbrain posted:

Does anyone have any experience using the Jeep Trail guide?? They are still pretty expensive to get a hold of (~$600), but its also one of the few models that I know of that does breadcrumbs. Is this thing worth the money or are there some better alternatives out there??

Looks just like a 2.5"-3.0" screen size rebranded garmin unit. [I'm guessing its based on a older GPS view]

If you want a good off road GPS, go for a Lowrance, they're usually used in aerospace, boating but most off road desert racers use them:

You can get a Baja 540c for 449$ if you look around, really bright 5" color screen, rugged enclosure.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/GlobalMap-Baja-540C/

We have a bunch of these, a few on the hummers, one on the trophy truck and another mounted on our toy hauler. They have a larger models, 8" to 16" screens/touch screens but they run over a grand.

They have topological data and are geared more for trail use as the city/street features are relatively basic on these units.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
2006 LJ here. Only mod so far is a completely Line-Xed interior. It is about time to switch from the safari top to soft top, though... And I've got a rear zipper problem. Probably they need to be replaced, as a few of the teeth are pretty hosed - anyone have any experience with either DIYing the softop zipper teeth (rear window) or any ideas about who might handle that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

You are so lucky. Looking to hire any help? I have a perfect vehicle for trail work.

Eh, the job has it's drawbacks, I wish I owned the place. It sits on 200+ acres and would be perfect for a wheeling park. When I told the owners they'd make a killing catering to off roaders they looked at me like I had two heads. :(

Today I did some REAL maintenance.

Uh oh what's this.

Fuckin' trees in my way. Nothing a chainsaw can't handle.

Trail clear! Trees ain't got poo poo on me :colbert:

There are some tight squeezes on this trail. Well it is a hiking trail after all. :v:

Yes, the trail goes straight ahead. Both the mirrors got folded in, that's how tight it was.

That was the first time going through that particular trail. I had never attempted it before in my Jeep because I thought it was tight for our Kawasaki Mule....But I said gently caress it and went for it. Today was fun. :)

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

jackyl posted:

Probably they need to be replaced, as a few of the teeth are pretty hosed - anyone have any experience with either DIYing the softop zipper teeth (rear window) or any ideas about who might handle that?

It seems like quite a few Jeep owners get their soft top work done at a marine shop, so you should at least ask around at a few shops. Their workload is probably going down around this time of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

leica posted:

Eh, the job has it's drawbacks, I wish I owned the place. It sits on 200+ acres and would be perfect for a wheeling park. When I told the owners they'd make a killing catering to off roaders they looked at me like I had two heads. :(

At least you can have some fun on the job. Maybe I will start looking in to a parks service job like I keep telling myself I should. I think I need a job that is outside.