Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

pugna posted:

But if Varg stays in prison forever, we'll never get that new Burzum album. Which would be really, really gay.

No it wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Just ask any first year guitar student to fumble around pentatonic scales, slowly, over and over again and it'll be just like a burzum record.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
You're forgetting one crucial piece of equipment:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

I agree, gently caress him sideways. Not for anything he did, but for being such an ego maniacal dildo.

nice to see some people still don't know poo poo about Varg

edit: oh god, your next post made it even better :lol:

It sucks so bad that he's not being let out. Oh well, hosed up laws.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
varg is an indefensible moron, this is indisputable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cryme posted:

varg is an indefensible moron, this is indisputable.

Could you squeeze a few more "gently caress varg i hate him" posts in this thread please?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

I'm not clear on what's hosed up about the laws here. He committed crimes, was convicted, and then when let out on temporary leave he tried to escape and was found in possession of fraudulent papers and a fully automatic rifle.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

nice to see some people still don't know poo poo about Varg

edit: oh god, your next post made it even better :lol:

Well you put a lot of thought into proving us all wrong. This must have taken you an hour to research and write.

He's a joke on wheels, even moreso now with his white power faggotry.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

het posted:

I'm not clear on what's hosed up about the laws here. He committed crimes, was convicted, and then when let out on temporary leave he tried to escape and was found in possession of fraudulent papers and a fully automatic rifle.

Don't forget the carjacking! :eng101:

I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy here for Varg.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
C'mon he burned down churches and believes in a relationship between race and intelligence, that's really deep

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

IntoTheNihil posted:

Could you squeeze a few more "gently caress varg i hate him" posts in this thread please?

Yeah here's one: "gently caress Varg, I Hate Him, He Made One Good Album And There Is No Reason To Assume He Would Make Another One, Also He Is Pretty Bad As Humans Go"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid: I don't really care to prove anything but you calling him an attention whore is pretty ridiculous. Black metal is 99% attention and 1% music but he easily falls into the latter.

het posted:

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it. I should've noted I meant that I wanted him out prior to escaping and all that. I still want him out but I realize why he's not.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

het posted:

Actually, it later turned out that he didn't have an AG-3 on him. The police found the weapon in a cabin that Vikernes could have spent the night in, but this was never proven and he wasn't convicted for it.

Also, it is completely unrealistic that he will spend the rest of his life in prison. The place he is at now is basically like a halfway house, and it's just a matter of years (if that) before he is released.

I'm not condoning anything he's done, just trying to set the record straight.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Haha, people actually trying to impress each other by saying "Burzum wasn't THAT good" never cease to make me laugh. I mean, I'm not one to uphold sacred cows simply by virtue of convention, but saying Burzum is less than essential is like eating glue on my scale of retardation.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Nobody is arguing his place in the canon you loving idiot we're saying that he's just a bad person in general

He and DMX would get along ok if varg could just get over that whole friend of the family thing

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

IntoTheNihil posted:

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it. I should've noted I meant that I wanted him out prior to escaping and all that. I still want him out but I realize why he's not.

I'm genuinely curious - why do you want him out? I haven't been following the Norwegian Black Metal Soap Opera scene.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it.
He burned churches to the ground and killed a man. He was convicted for those crimes, sentenced to prison time, had that prison time reduced, and still he tried to escape; I don't see how there's any argument over the justification of his parole being turned down. This is pretty straight-forward.

Caerus posted:

The police found the weapon in a cabin that Vikernes could have spent the night in, but this was never proven and he wasn't convicted for it.
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

het posted:

He burned churches to the ground and killed a man. He was convicted for those crimes, sentenced to prison time, had that prison time reduced, and still he tried to escape; I don't see how there's any argument over the justification of his parole being turned down. This is pretty straight-forward.

Well, the argument has been that he is being treated harsher than other convicts in a similar position. Even when taking into account the escape attempt he would normally have been released by now. I personally think he should spend a lot more time in prison, but the reasoning behind this should be that he was convicted for a brutal murder and arson. It should not be that he is some nazi satanist boogeyman, which certain people in the Department of Criminal Justice seem to think.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Caerus posted:

Well, the argument has been that he is being treated harsher than other convicts in a similar position.

There are other Norwegians who have become neo-fascists, murdered their bandmates, and burned churches in the name of Satan?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

het posted:

Never try to reason with 18-year-old norsecore fanboys because they always know so much more about what happened in 1995 than you do and Varg is clearly a misunderstood genius, plus they can relate to him because living in their parents' basement is much like being sentenced to life in prison

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Ah yes, straw mans over Varg Vikernes. Just what I've always wanted to hear.

He's a horrible person but lots of bands have him as an influence, and his music (sans the prison albums which are terrible) aren't all that bad. Here's hoping he'll make Filosofem 2 and not daudi baldurs or something.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Caerus posted:

Well, the argument has been that he is being treated harsher than other convicts in a similar position. Even when taking into account the escape attempt he would normally have been released by now. I personally think he should spend a lot more time in prison, but the reasoning behind this should be that he was convicted for a brutal murder and arson. It should not be that he is some nazi satanist boogeyman, which certain people in the Department of Criminal Justice seem to think.
To be honest it's hard for me to judge as an American because in the US these crimes would be punished far more harshly (even if we ignored the fact that he was burning churches, multiple arson counts + homicide would be significant) so I can't help but think that he's getting off awfully easy just with the sentencing he received.

het fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 2, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think the point is that he's had a much harsher sentence than other criminals convicted of similar crimes. I'm not sure if anything good will come out of releasing him, but to keep up the appearance of a just legal system they have to let him out sooner or later.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I quite enjoyed Det Som Engang Var and Filosofem, and assumed everything else he released was a hairy ballsack. Did i miss anything?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm genuinely curious - why do you want him out? I haven't been following the Norwegian Black Metal Soap Opera scene.
I'd like to see good black metal still come out. There's about a handful of solid bands around anymore. Nothing wrong with classics but it's sad to have such a dead and stale genre.

Dyna Soar posted:

I think the point is that he's had a much harsher sentence than other criminals convicted of similar crimes.
Yup

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

I'd like to see good black metal still come out. There's about a handful of solid bands around anymore. Nothing wrong with classics but it's sad to have such a dead and stale genre.

I reaaallly don't see how BM is a "dead and stale" genre, maybe if you listen to 1349/anything else on candlelight as a indication of how the BM scene is doing, sure. But IMO quite a few bands are making interesting poo poo these days, maybe not as much as a year or 2 ago, but I'd say it's hardly "dead and stale"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

modernlifeisadam posted:

I reaaallly don't see how BM is a "dead and stale" genre, maybe if you listen to 1349/anything else on candlelight as a indication of how the BM scene is doing, sure. But IMO quite a few bands are making interesting poo poo these days, maybe not as much as a year or 2 ago, but I'd say it's hardly "dead and stale"

If I could find more like one decent band a month i'd be alright with it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

Morbid: I don't really care to prove anything but you calling him an attention whore is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah that book packed with interviews he's given is a sure sign to me that the guy doesn't want attention. I know when I lay low the first thing I do is call the papers and a photographer and rant about how everyone and everything BUT me is the root of my problems.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah that book packed with interviews he's given is a sure sign to me that the guy doesn't want attention. I know when I lay low the first thing I do is call the papers and a photographer and rant about how everyone and everything BUT me is the root of my problems.

So wait, giving interviews about being in the biggest event in a genre's history is grabbing for attention?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

So wait, giving interviews about being in the biggest event in a genre's history is grabbing for attention?

It's the definition of it. Publicity = attention

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess musicians should just run away and hide whenever someone wants to know their side of the story.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

I guess musicians should just run away and hide whenever someone wants to know their side of the story.

You're the one that called him an attention whore, so answer that one yourself. But if a band (even a one man band) wants to act like the genre wouldn't exist without him, kills the figurehead of said genre, they're not giving a side of a story, they're being an ego maniacal dildo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 2, 2008

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

Qu Appelle posted:

There are other Norwegians who have become neo-fascists, murdered their bandmates, and burned churches in the name of Satan?

Well, that's my whole point. The neo-fascist satanist thing isn't relevant. Murder and arson is, and there are certainly a lot of people who have been convicted of that throughout the years.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I quite enjoyed Det Som Engang Var and Filosofem, and assumed everything else he released was a hairy ballsack. Did i miss anything?

Well, I would say that Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is pretty good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

You're the one that called him an attention whore, so answer that one yourself. But if a band (even a one man band) wants to act like the genre wouldn't exist without him, kills the figurehead of said genre, they're not giving a side of a story, they're being an ego maniacal dildo.

Varg was the one that last changed the genre and created an entire (and now terrible) sub genre. He's done more for black metal than almost anyone. Euronymous was a worthless human being and did hardly anything notable. I complete agree with the pro-Varg side of it that says Euro wanted to torture Varg.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 23, 2020

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

edit: double post sorry

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

IntoTheNihil posted:

Varg was the one that last changed the genre and created an entire (and now terrible) sub genre. He's done more for black metal than almost anyone. Euronymous was a worthless human being and did hardly anything notable. I complete agree with the pro-Varg side of it that says Euro wanted to torture Varg.

So you are seriously advocating killing people that are "worthless" as human beings?

Or are just saying that for fun.

pugna posted:

If you don't think every album up to and including Filosofem is essential black metal listening you're dumb.

I don't think anyone is disputing his influence on the genre - just his continued importance and necessity.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 2, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

modernlifeisadam posted:

Am I reading too much into your post, or is this some 1349 hate?

That'd be too bad if it was. 1349 owns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Not Very Metal posted:

1349 is entertaining live when stuck onto an already good bill but otherwise uninteresting and terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"