Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

Am I reading too much into your post, or is this some 1349 hate?

That'd be too bad if it was. 1349 owns.

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

1349 is entertaining live when stuck onto an already good bill but otherwise uninteresting and terrible

Uninteresting and terrible? You should've followed that up with a "username delivers" burn. :rolleyes: He he he...

I'll give you Ravn as an example of the former, but what makes them terrible?

Part of those thoughts come solely from Frost on kit, I mean, the man is a machine. I guess the remainder come from the fact that it's some of the fastest and fiercest BM I've heard. I've never listened to any of the members' parent bands though (to my knowledge*), so I should probably give them a listen before really arguing vehemently.

modernlifeisadam posted:

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"

Right on. Yeah, if that is the main type of groups you listen to, dead and stale is appropriate.

*except for Satyricon and Gorgoroth, duh...

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 2, 2008

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
More like Behexen - By the blessing of Satan please. I'm not even sure how they rate because I'm a complete and utter novice with black metal. I like the fact they're fairly brutal at times, some good riffs that jump out into the foreground and I also enjoy the melodic 'guitarlines' that run beneath the chaos, but any deeper down in the mix and I think I'd lose interest (so basically, nothing too raw).

I'm also a massive fan of Dissection (SOTLB & The Somberlain) if that helps guide me in the right direction.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

modernlifeisadam posted:

I totally disagree. I can see how anyone would think that about a lot of the other original bands. But I honestly found Hellfire pretty refreshing and new. I'm no expert or anything, I just though the pace of it was really original. Then again, I got into bm through the sort of pseudo religious third wave stuff so maybe that's why I think that way :/

Edit for something more positive:
I've been listening to Nihil Nocturne a lot lately. Anyone recommend anything similar? I really like the sort of feathery drumming and... um... grooviness? (can't think of a better word to describe it) of it.

Rain Temple fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 2, 2008

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
1349 are pretty generic norsecore. They don't reinvent the wheel and they're not particularly amazing at what they do either. A mediocre band who garner a lot of attention because of who their drummer is and because he plays real fast.

Fast black metal does not make good black metal for the most part. Especially when all you're doing is playing someone else's riffs (or riffing style) at 4x the speed with a horrible snare fill overlayed.

If all you want is brutal and chaotic black metal with speed as the primary element Antaeus are the band to go to.

On another note, the only thing more terminally boring than the annual "Varg refused parole" notice is the following "is he/isn't he a rolemodel for our aryan children" debate.

And Captain Cancer, try Satanic Warmaster's Strength & Honour. The production is rather horrible, but you should appreciate at least one song on it. For Dissection like material I'd suggest Vinterland, Sacramentum, Setherial (Nord only, it's really more Emperor like, but it's loving amazing anyway) and early Sorhin.

Rain Temple, get yourself some Furze.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 2, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Gr31lly posted:

1349 are pretty generic norsecore. They don't reinvent the wheel and they're not particularly amazing at what they do either. A mediocre band who garner a lot of attention because of who their drummer is and because he plays real fast.

If all you want is brutal and chaotic black metal with speed as the primary element Antaeus are the band to go to.

I hear what you're saying, but I still disagree with part of your statement. I won't claim to say they reinvented the wheel either, hell, I'm new enough to the genre to not make really outlandish claims. I think the only thing that 1349 does poorly in a BM sense is that they are too clean technically. There are slips in the tracks, but not the unintentional drastic tempo changes I hear in other bands. I will say that 1349 was a breath of fresh air for me after getting a lot of lovely death/thrash/speed metal band recommendations. I still can't go a day or so without popping in one of their discs.

That said, Antaeus is currently punching me in the face. It's awesome, thanks for the heads up.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
Man, I have to say, the Krallice S/T really grew on me. I liked it quite a bit at first, but just as a one time listen thing. But, just today I've listened to this thing 5+ times, the riffs, the atmosphere, poo poo, even the BASSLINES(wut basslines in bm) are badass. HIGHLY recommended that everyone check this.

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 4, 2008

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Not Very Metal posted:

You're forgetting one crucial piece of equipment:

I'd say it's more along the lines of:

Though I do like Burzum. One of the few early BM acts whose music still holds up.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
1349 also has somewhat "poppy" songwriting. Sculptor of Flesh? I Am Abomination? Both of those are really, really fun songs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gr31lly posted:

For Dissection like material I'd suggest Vinterland, Sacramentum, Setherial (Nord only, it's really more Emperor like, but it's loving amazing anyway) and early Sorhin.
Let's throw Dawn on the pile also even though they aren't half as good as Sacramentum

meba rhodium
Aug 25, 2008
I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

What I'm listening to now that relates to that genre:

Anorexia Nervosa
Dimmu Borgir (an old highscool sweetheart I'm still in love with)
Arcturus
Equilibrium (really digging Sagas)
Nokturnal Mortum

Any recommendations appreciated.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

meba rhodium posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

Anorexia Nervosa
Arcturus
Nokturnal Mortum

Vesania (Polish, similar to Anorexia Nervosa)
Vulture Industries (extremely similar to Arcturus)
Dreamscapes of the Perverse
Keep of Kalessin (Armada in particular), not really symphonic but I think they'd work for ya

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

meba rhodium posted:

Anorexia Nervosa
Arcturus
Nokturnal Mortum

Negura Bunget's Om sounds right up your alley. You'd probably also like Bergraven's Dodsvisioner and Naglfar's Sheol.

For the more experimental Arcturus-type stuff (and this is probably the wrong thread for some of my recommendations but whatever), try Frantic Bleep's The Sense Apparatus, In the Woods...'s Omnio and HEart of the Ages, Fleurety's Min Tid Skal Komme and maybe Scholomance's incredibly unpolished and sloppily-performed but still pretty cool The Immortality Murder.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

meba rhodium posted:

Anorexia Nervosa
Arcturus
Nokturnal Mortum

Mirrorthrone! (Gangrene or Carriers of Dust are both excellent.)

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
Oh yes. I literally just discovered how awesome black metal is. The amount of amazing bands that I've never even heard of is seriously mind boggling. So basically I'm seconding the hell out of "recommend me some symphonic black and death metal" request. I can't tell the two genres apart so bands from either genre (probably) works great!

I like stuff where the instruments and vocals really stand forward (which is what bugs me about the vocals in Windir and Summoning. But I just ordered albums from each band anyway. It's so catchy and atmospheric :(). I've been a big fan of Enslavement of Beauty for a few years now and I really like that sort of stuff (especially the Dainty Delusive Dolls album). Vesania sounded great too! Shame cdon.com don't have any albums from them...

Next month's CD batch so far includes over $180 worth of black metal albums. :black101:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WantlessPonder posted:

Next month's CD batch so far includes over $180 worth of black metal albums. :black101:
I hear you. There was a point back in '06 or so where $150 every week for a couple of months went to The End's mailorder. :)

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
You can now stream the new Satyricon single, "Black Crow On A Tombstone" from Age Of Nero from Roadrunner's UK site.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?&news_page=&news_id=66268

Nice!

...and if you subscribe to Peaceville mailing list you can download a new Darkthrone track, "Hiking Metal Punks" from their new album, Dark Thrones & Black Flags.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/freedownload/8/

Very nice!

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2008

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 23, 2020

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Fistful of Lotion posted:

Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

Within the genre of 'Metal,' I do. I love the BM, but I've got about a dozen other death/folk/viking/speed metal albums that get regular play. Old Metallica albums have been a staple of mine since middle school.

Outside of metal, I listen to a lot of 'rock' music - King Crimson, Primus, some Tool, and your run-of-them-mill classic rock groups: Led Zep, Sabbath, Hendrix, Doors, etc. I'm also a fan of jazz/rock stuff like Mahavishnu, John McLaughlin, Miles' later stuff, Jaco, Return to Forever, and the like.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Absolutely. I like black metal a lot, but it doesn't always fit into my mood at any given time, so I'm all over the place. I listen to all varieties of metal: death, black, doom, metalcore/deathcore (GASP!!), thrash, power metal, melodeath, avant-garde bla bla bla... Of course if you've seen some of my posts in the other metal topic you will see that I'm "open-minded" to the point where I end up dropping out of discussions because I like a lot of stuff that other people hate. Other than that, the other 1/4 of my listening is mostly taken up by rap and hardcore techno. Especially trancecore/freeform; that poo poo is hot, son! :c00lbert:

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

I used to get that with death metal, back when I listened to a lot of it. I never really get bored of black metal though because it covers so many things. Like if I get bored of the sort of heachache inducing heavy stuff, then I switch to something calmer, then if that gets too depressing there's always the more groovy stuff etc. and on and on until you get back to the beginning again :) Not that I don't listen to other things though.
If I had more time/money I'd definiately get back into dance music, specifically trance - that was my first love. But yeah, I could totally survive on black metal and nothing else if it really came to it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

I've been on the longest black metal kick of my life the last few months, but I definitely need to switch gears every few months but I don't leave the realm of metal for anything but Blues. Death and stoner/doom are my other addictions in metal.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

You can now stream the new Satyricon single, "Black Crow On A Tombstone" from Age Of Nero from Roadrunner's UK site.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?&news_page=&news_id=66268

Nice!

I really like that album cover, but wow this track is forgettable. I'm not in any way surprised considering the direction they've headed in for the last two releases, but this is really watered down and kind of like "Now.... That's What I Call Diabolical - 2".

Volcano and Diabolical are a couple of my guilty pleasures - while my inner purist cringes, they are both catchy and kind of fun to listen to. Despite this, and blind though my hope was, i was still kind of wishing for a bit of a return to the earlier sound. They're still incredible live though and should put on a great show in november here.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I listen to a bunch of different things, but I'm not nearly as musically cultured as I'd like to be, especially seeing some posters in NMD and PHIZ I'm not as eclectic as I thought I was. Additionally, I don't really pay attention to band member names and most of the time I'm unable to go in to depth about bands other than "well this band kinda sounds like this band cause thats what it sounds like to me" instead of some technical description.

But I digress, Black Metal is one of my favorite genres but I cannot just listen to black metal. I'll listen to things like electronic music from ambient and electro and hardstyle and whatever genre video game remixes are, I'll enjoy some j-pop/k-pop/c-pop as a dirty pleasure (BoA is so good and I'm a fag for admitting it but I don't care), I'll enjoy some metalcore/some hardcore, some new age punk, classical like satie or bach (Admittedly thats one of the genres I know little of). Death metal is alright to me, but I can't really get into most brutal bands or death metal bands without some sort of groove or interesting melody/solo. I'll also enjoy drone bands for the same reason that I like ambientish music. I like noise in small amounts, but harsh noise is only good to me as background noise than active listening. The noise I prefer tends to be something with a "flow" to it. Something where the noise changes and ebbs and evolves from one place to another, rather than something that is just as abstract as the artist can make.

Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I'll listen to music that follows my emotions. That's when I'll listen to dreary sort of music. For whatever reason, the ambient tracks on Filosofem are really good in that regard, because if you're just relaxing and listening to that, you can focus on the bleakness of the simple beats. (That sounds gay but whatever.) Anyways that's my 2 cents.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Morbid Florist posted:

I've been on the longest black metal kick of my life the last few months, but I definitely need to switch gears every few months but I don't leave the realm of metal for anything but Blues. Death and stoner/doom are my other addictions in metal.

I've never really understood this, even though I know people who are the same way. Seriously, nothing but metal or blues? You don't listen to anything else?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

I've never really understood this, even though I know people who are the same way. Seriously, nothing but metal or blues? You don't listen to anything else?

Nope. I spent the first 15 years of my life trying out everything people said was great, and I hated music pretty much until a friend gave me Use Your Illusion 2. It was the first time music grabbed me as something FOR me. I HATE techno, electronica, indie, you name it I've probably tried it and turned it down. I want guitars and aggression in my music. Blues may not SOUND aggressive but it was the metal of its day.

Very little music these days has balls.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Morbid Florist posted:

Nope. I spent the first 15 years of my life trying out everything people said was great, and I hated music pretty much until a friend gave me Use Your Illusion 2. It was the first time music grabbed me as something FOR me. I HATE techno, electronica, indie, you name it I've probably tried it and turned it down. I want guitars and aggression in my music. Blues may not SOUND aggressive but it was the metal of its day.

That's weird, I was like that until about 17 or 18 and then I started branching out (within metal and with other genres). I'm probably not going to change your mind but I just think it's strange that you don't (or can't) listen to other stuff, even if it as agressive as metal. You like stoner though, do you listen to pyschedelic stuff, or drone?

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Morbid Florist posted:

I can empathise with this. I've always felt like there was far more music I hate than music I like.

I always felt really envious of people who can say "ooh, I like a bit of everything, you know", but then again I'd much rather be ecstatically passionate about a few things than content with everything so I can't complain :)

Disiplin's self titled album was my black metal revelation, for the record.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

...and if you subscribe to Peaceville mailing list you can download a new Darkthrone track, "Hiking Metal Punks" from their new album, Dark Thrones & Black Flags.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/freedownload/8/

Very nice!

Congratulations to Darkthrone for finally achieving their goal of sounding exactly like late period GISM.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
There was a time when if you were a metalhead and you listened to anything BUT metal, you would get mercilessly teased. I mean, you could listen to the classic rock precursors to metal but that was about it. In 1988, if you had long hair and a denim jacket with a back patch of the Kill 'em All album cover on it (which I had), you absolutely could not admit to also liking, say, Depeche Mode.

I'm really loving glad that this has changed and people that listen to BM can talk about listening to trance and CPop without being called a massive human being.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That's weird, I was like that until about 17 or 18 and then I started branching out (within metal and with other genres). I'm probably not going to change your mind but I just think it's strange that you don't (or can't) listen to other stuff, even if it as agressive as metal. You like stoner though, do you listen to pyschedelic stuff, or drone?

Well the only thing that got me into metal in the first place is the only thing that's missing from everything else. My complete lack of interest in everything else I was exposed to, and it was a LOT of the musical spectrum, leads me to believe had I not had that one metalhead friend in highschool I'd probably still have no interest in music at all.

As far as psychedelic, I really like Mammatus, Earthless, early Pelican and Zebulon Pike, but stuff like Phish and the Dead I can't stand. VERY little drone. In fact the only drone band I haven't gotten sick of after a few listens is The Deep Blue. It fits its name too well, and to me it just drones on and on.

I think I just NEED that aggression, guitars being played so hard it could classify as instrument rape.

This sums it up perfectly

Rain Temple posted:

I always felt really envious of people who can say "ooh, I like a bit of everything, you know", but then again I'd much rather be ecstatically passionate about a few things than content with everything so I can't complain :)

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

There was a time when if you were a metalhead and you listened to anything BUT metal, you would get mercilessly teased. I mean, you could listen to the classic rock precursors to metal but that was about it. In 1988, if you had long hair and a denim jacket with a back patch of the Kill 'em All album cover on it (which I had), you absolutely could not admit to also liking, say, Depeche Mode.

I'm really loving glad that this has changed and people that listen to BM can talk about listening to trance and CPop without being called a massive human being.

I wouldn't go that far :colbert:

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Hah hah this was called being 14 years old.

Morbid Florist posted:

I think I just NEED that aggression, guitars being played so hard it could classify as instrument rape.

I'm not knocking it, it just strikes me as strange. After a certain point in my life I realised that I didn't listen to other genres even if they had exactly what I liked about metal and I eventually found a bunch of other new things I really liked.

Fair enough though, it's not like you're listening to the same 4-5 bands like a lot of "metal only" people.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

When not listening to BM (or other M, for that matter), I like listening to classical and folk music - especially 'world' music, though I despise that term. But, I do like listening to things like Sami yoiking, Tuvan throat singing, and the like.

But my favorite local radio station is definitely the Classical one.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Hah hah this was called being 14 years old.

Yeah, mostly. But I saw people in their late teens/early 20's that were the same way. I remember Scott Ian talking a few years ago about how back in the day he couldn't even admit to liking bands like Motley Crue and Whitesnake, even though they were referred to as metal at that time, because they weren't considered metal enough (which they're not, obviously). And this was when he and his friends were in their late 20's/early 30's.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

meba rhodium posted:

Anorexia Nervosa
Arcturus
Nokturnal Mortum

Try A Forest of Stars. It's not exactly symphonic, but it's pretty out there. Psychedelic black metal from the UK, and the band's website has a industrial-era theme to it.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

I don't listen to exclusively black metal, nor do I usually listen to just one genre in phases. I'll typically play a mix of black/death/grind/sludge/doom. Though I've had a boner for 80s US power metal for the past few months, so I've tossed that in a lot in the mix.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

The biggest reason why I felt really attached to metal is the variety. I mean, you can have a band like Emperor who is amazingly heavy, but they also have some beautiful passages (like the end of "Thus spake the nightspirit") which you really don't find in an other style of music at all.

Its like when you're playing metal or listening to metal anything goes. gently caress it, we do what we want. I love that, I really do.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

When not listening to BM (or other M, for that matter), I like listening to classical and folk music - especially 'world' music, though I despise that term. But, I do like listening to things like Sami yoiking, Tuvan throat singing, and the like.

But my favorite local radio station is definitely the Classical one.

Gotta say that I've heard some throat singing before and if there is a black metal cross over I have to hear it. Also on the "world music" category, I'd love to hear Kodo or another Taiko group co-op with bands or maybe just play "Sylvester Anfang." I suppose it all leads back to black metal.

Gvaz posted:

Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I'll listen to music that follows my emotions. That's when I'll listen to dreary sort of music. For whatever reason, the ambient tracks on Filosofem are really good in that regard, because if you're just relaxing and listening to that, you can focus on the bleakness of the simple beats. (That sounds gay but whatever.) Anyways that's my 2 cents.

I think I follow. I'm of the opinion that the most evil song on Filosofem is "Rundgang..." even though on the surface its 3 or so rhythms for 24 minutes, with a slight change of pace around the 11 minute mark. And on the night of a crappy day I love to put on Dunkelheit, smoke a cigarette outside and look up at the stars. He created a great atmosphere.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I don't think it ever changed, I think we all grew out of that state of mind and didn't give a poo poo what other people thought. And then other people thought that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
While I prefer death metal and grindcore, it tends to have a lot more closed-minded fans. People who are into black metal are usually into ambient and electronic stuff a lot too. I wore a Björk shirt to a Therion concert, and someone in a Drudkh shirt came up and told me how awesome he thought it was.