Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimfate
Oct 19, 2003

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Here's a render of a scene i'm working on. My idea was that some goblins/kobolds, whatever have invaded an abandoned subway system, and have set up a little camp among the wreckage. Im going for a tribal/caveman creature, and am thinking of adding some items around the fire, and a lot more junk. I'd say its about half done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Grimfate posted:

Here's a render of a scene i'm working on. My idea was that some goblins/kobolds, whatever have invaded an abandoned subway system, and have set up a little camp among the wreckage. Im going for a tribal/caveman creature, and am thinking of adding some items around the fire, and a lot more junk. I'd say its about half done.

I would lower the passageway where the cab was supposed to be travelling in the past. It is a bit too level with the ground where passengers are supposed to walk.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Grimfate posted:

Here's a render of a scene i'm working on.

Just looked at this on my laptop at home and now that I can see it, it's coming along pretty well.

Problem is, my monitor in work is calibrated and it's really really dark on that - do you know anyone with a spyder you could borrow or something? Looks right on this screen but I know this one is far too bright.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
This is for you Vray dudes:

We've got nasty artifacts showing up in some of our frames. Two of the most prominent should be clearly visible in the render above. These appear(and are not always consistent) when using light cache and irradiance map. When we replace irradiance map with brute force, it renders flawlessly. No issues anywhere. Any ideas on what could be causing this? The same thing happens on some of our walkway areas, as well, so it's not necessarily the water shader that's at fault. The sun is also invisible, so it isn't that, either.

Grimfate
Oct 19, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Just looked at this on my laptop at home and now that I can see it, it's coming along pretty well.

Problem is, my monitor in work is calibrated and it's really really dark on that - do you know anyone with a spyder you could borrow or something? Looks right on this screen but I know this one is far too bright.
That's a good point, I've been working on my monitor at home, and its also very bright, and every time i bring it somewhere else to work on it, i immediately have to brighten the lights when i render. So ill try setting up the lighting with a little less brightness on my monitor.
As for lowering the ground, i think part of it is that the gravel texture is too big and its at a weird angle. But yeah, ill definitely lower it a bit.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DefMech posted:

This is for you Vray dudes:

Check for standard materials (convert them all to vray - there is a script on script spot available for this), raytrace shaders within materials (get rid) vray light materials with a particularly high intensity, hosed up glass/water IOR's, make sure sub-pixel mapping is turned on and uncheck reflective and refractive caustics in the GI section.

One of those should cover it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm new to the 3D scene. I was recommended Rhino and Maya. Are these better than 3ds Max?

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
They're different, not necessarily better. I consider Maya to be better for animation personally, though I've yet to pick it up. After years in 3Ds Max I migrated over to XSI recently and I love it to death. It all depends on what sort of projects you want to work on really.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

jimcunningham posted:

I'm new to the 3D scene. I was recommended Rhino and Maya. Are these better than 3ds Max?

This is a gross generalization but here we go:

Rhino -> Engineering and Product Design
AutoCAD -> Architecture, Arch Viz, Engineering and Product Design

3dstudio Max -> Videogames, Broadcast Graphics, Arch Viz
Maya -> VFX, Videogames, Film, Broadcast Graphics
XSI -> VFX, (limited) Videogames, Film, Broadcast Graphics

Granted all of these can be swapped somewhat but, as they say, pick the right tool for the right job.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome. I really appreciate it.

Grimfate
Oct 19, 2003

From my experience, max is much better at rendering and modeling, and has a lot of neat plugins to do fancy stuff with geometry, but maya is SO much better at character animation, because max's biped setup is loving awkward as hell.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got into 3D to do VFX. So far I haven't advanced very far past matchmoving, HDRI maps, and rendering but I started with 3Ds Max. I played with the Maya personal learning edition (Free on their site) and didn't like the interface. I went on to try 3Ds Max and found I could just jump in and do things easier.

I'd recomend a Lynda.com or Digitaltutors.com DVD set, they're totally worth it. Get one that runs you through the basics of whichever software you plan on using.

Like Sigma 6 said, sue the right tools for the right job, but don't think that there are tools that are completely wrong for any job. If you can troubleshoot and know your software there won't be any limits with whatever you chose.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Not to derail or steal thunder, but our powers are needed here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969549

Your favourite smileys in 3d!

I did :haw: and :hist101: :

Go, my brethren, go!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

International Log posted:

Go, my brethren, go!

Haha I was just coming here to post this. Get thee to GBS, posthaste!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Go, my brethren, go!

Hah! Good man, International Log.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Oh it is on in that thread

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Oh man . . . I chucked this out while my students had lab.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 1, 2008

Steelcore-01
Aug 4, 2008

by angerbotSD
OK, then...anybody using Modo? I am thinking about restarting my study in 3D with it. Is it good? I need a good modeling software for making templates for cityscape and mecha design.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont use it, but thats because I use max and vray in work so theres no point.

But it is meant to be very good, i've had a little play with it and it seems incredibly intuitive and robust.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I've tried to jump into Modo a few times, but never really get far enough due to a lack of free time. It's a fantastic program and getting even better with every release.

Despite what they say on their site, I don't think it's super easy to pick up. Modo has tons of tools and functions and it can be a little overwhelming to figure out what's essential. For other things, they take properties or buttons that should be grouped together in one dialog and spread them out over different tabs or menus. Much of this can be avoided with good documentation, some of which you'll find on their site and elsewhere like DigitalTutors.

As long as you're not too interested in animation right now, I'd highly recommend it. Just make sure to turn off trackball rotation in the viewport :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I also tried to use Modo but it didn't "stick". It is the natural evolution of Lightwave modeling since it is Lightwave programmers who made it I hear.

The edge loop selection and UVunwrapping were really cool but it never matched Maya or XSI. Hell - I even consider Silo easier than Modo if you want to pick up modeling quick.

Steelcore-01
Aug 4, 2008

by angerbotSD

sigma 6 posted:

I also tried to use Modo but it didn't "stick". It is the natural evolution of Lightwave modeling since it is Lightwave programmers who made it I hear.

The edge loop selection and UVunwrapping were really cool but it never matched Maya or XSI. Hell - I even consider Silo easier than Modo if you want to pick up modeling quick.

Silo? Never heard about it before. BTW, the price is very attractive. Maybe I can try it someday. I want to build some robots with mechanical joints. (How do I rig them?)

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Silo is awesome and super easy to use. However, it's just a modeler, so I don't think you can do any rigging in it right now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

DefMech posted:

Silo is awesome and super easy to use. However, it's just a modeler, so I don't think you can do any rigging in it right now.

He's right. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression Steelcore-01.

It is a fully functional package free for 30 days so there is no harm in trying it out. After 30 days it locks you out of exporting geometry more than 50 faces but still works as an .obj viewer.

Steelcore-01
Aug 4, 2008

by angerbotSD

sigma 6 posted:

He's right. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression Steelcore-01.

It is a fully functional package free for 30 days so there is no harm in trying it out. After 30 days it locks you out of exporting geometry more than 50 faces but still works as an .obj viewer.

It's alright. I figured out that Silo doesn't have animation tools already. I was just talking about CG in general.

well, speaking of rigging, I have no clue how I plan out the breakdown of a...model of some robot in Silo. I haven't done 3D for years and I am a bit uncomfortable about making the model in one software and rigging it in another. Organic characters wouldn't be much of a problem but if you are building some battle droids...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, it's rigging up organic shapes that has me sweating the most. Hard objects are comparatively simple.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm making an animal and putting the mouth in but as I've never found a decent way to do this I just do it as I'm going. I'd love to show you a render but its work stuff so I'm not allowed I guess sorry.

I've extruded the mouth in to create a cavity, then made some simple gums with teeth and put them inside. It all seems very clumsy to me. especially when it comes to unwrapping and rigging. Any ideas?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

concerned mom posted:

I'm making an animal and putting the mouth in but as I've never found a decent way to do this I just do it as I'm going. I'd love to show you a render but its work stuff so I'm not allowed I guess sorry.

I've extruded the mouth in to create a cavity, then made some simple gums with teeth and put them inside. It all seems very clumsy to me. especially when it comes to unwrapping and rigging. Any ideas?

^^^ This sounds like a reasonable approach. As long as there are edge loops AROUND the mouth you should be okay. The better approach is to extrude a mouth loop and then extrude an inside pocket for the inside of the mouth. This is the edge extrusion method to head modeling vs box modeling it.

I started with a sphere in this case and then extruded the cavity but I wasn't exactly going for realism here.

:drac:

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

EDIT:

I modeled this guy in Silo and textured/lit/rendered in Max.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 4, 2008

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

concerned mom posted:

What's clumsy? I'd advise keeping the gums and teeth a seperate object to the lips/inside mouth so its easier to manage. Rig them how you would normally, with a weighted jaw bone (or not), then just make sure you build your shapes with both objects at once.

Unless you're deforming the lips like a horse where you actually see the gums attach to the lips inside the mouth, then don't bother with those details. Go for what ever looks good.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

My first commercial is up on youtube! I did roto on this mofo back in June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EUqc3HWcM

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PowerLlama posted:

My first commercial is up on youtube! I did roto on this mofo back in June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EUqc3HWcM

I've seen that on TV, great work!

So does that mean the car was not CG? Or did you roto a CG car? I only ask because I remember making a comment in my head about how the car looked pretty decent for something that never existed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grimfate posted:

I love the mood. Maybe it's a bit too dark overall, but the atmosphere is terrific. What are your inspirations?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Go, my brethren, go!

In the thread you say you use Vray, how long did this take to render? I have a few more Vray questions but you don't have pms...

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

In the thread you say you use Vray, how long did this take to render? I have a few more Vray questions but you don't have pms...

I'd say about an hour each, maybe less. No I don't have PM's... maybe I should buy plat. :)

Also, you could just ask here, plenty of people in this thread who know a lot of stuff. Naturally I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Throw down questions like that into the thread anyway - might help someone else in your position later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I'd say about an hour each, maybe less. No I don't have PM's... maybe I should buy plat. :)

Also, you could just ask here, plenty of people in this thread who know a lot of stuff. Naturally I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Well I'm new at this, so I'm trying to break down your model into steps. I'm more of a Maya user rather than Max but I assume you took a sphere polygon and then made booleans on the face for the expressions (teeth being entire new shapes)? Not sure how you approached the helmet except that it's probably a separate polygon from the head.

I assume the heads were standard matte material, but when you textured the metallic objects did you use a custom texture?

I'm not even sure what to ask specifically about Vray (just know that it's thrown around a lot) as I've only used the standard Maya renderer, and nothing near "photorealism" so if you explain that process to a retard, much appreciated.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Hey all, long time no post. I'm not dead, I just moved countries and am now doing an MA in visual effects at SCAD, fun fun.

I'll post up decent work when I actually have something to show, for now I'm taking classes in cinematography, unix/python/mel and renderman.

Maya question: I've moved a bunch of geometry from max to maya and it's discarded it's poly smoothing groups. Where do I go in Maya to simply get it to reassign a single smoothing group to the selection?

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Heintje posted:

Maya question: I've moved a bunch of geometry from max to maya and it's discarded it's poly smoothing groups. Where do I go in Maya to simply get it to reassign a single smoothing group to the selection?

Smoothing groups is maxs way to deal with normals right? If so just select the object or edges/faces you want to change and use soften/harden edge or "set normal angle" under the "normals" menu in the polygon menu set.

In the older mayas it's found under "edit polygons -> normals" I think.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Well I'm new at this, so I'm trying to break down your model into steps. I'm more of a Maya user rather than Max but I assume you took a sphere polygon and then made booleans on the face for the expressions (teeth being entire new shapes)? Not sure how you approached the helmet except that it's probably a separate polygon from the head.

I assume the heads were standard matte material, but when you textured the metallic objects did you use a custom texture?

I'm not even sure what to ask specifically about Vray (just know that it's thrown around a lot) as I've only used the standard Maya renderer, and nothing near "photorealism" so if you explain that process to a retard, much appreciated.

No, I didn't use booleans. Polymodeling all the way, baby. :c00l: The teeth are seperate objects, as well as the helm and all the small bits. I'm not sure what you mean with the materials, though.. The helmet material isn't textured, it's just a material that has a soft reflection, as well as the smiley material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Alan Smithee posted:

Learn this from memory, and develop a photographic memory for all the images: (start at the plugins section...)
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/

I'm not even joking, either.