Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I posted my home set up earlier, so here is my work desk:

About 10 other people in the programming department got laid off recently, so I bought an extra video card and looted a couple monitors. The IT guys are always bitching at me about having 4 monitors but there are so many monitors laying around with no one using them so they can go gently caress themselves.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goat boy
Dec 28, 2006
I volunteered for Vietnam to get out of Alabama

jt posted:

I am using old boxes and books to prop up my laptop and monitor and I really like what you've got. Where'd you get them?

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Nicholas posted:

About 10 other people in the programming department got laid off recently, so I bought an extra video card and looted a couple monitors. The IT guys are always bitching at me about having 4 monitors but there are so many monitors laying around with no one using them so they can go gently caress themselves.

Do you need all of those monitors for when you're compiling? :v:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Chopper posted:

Do you need all of those monitors for when you're compiling? :v:

It's actually annoying to try to use 4 monitors because you have to physically rotate your head to see all the screens. I don't even really use the right-most screen for that reason. The one thing I was looking forward to was playing UT2004 at 5120x1024 but it runs absurdly slow at that resolution. :(

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
Heres my not-too-awesome-but-functional-and-comfy setup

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 27, 2010

untermensch
Aug 1, 2004
Here is my current home setup:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Left is my mAtx Silverstone case (it's not as dusty as it looks), right is my Shuttle WHS server box, currently streaming to 2 more desktops, 2 Apple laptops and 1 Xbox360 connected to TV.

Standard 22" Samsung monitor on boring desk.

untermensch
Aug 1, 2004

jt posted:

Bedroom setup (Macbook Pro hooked up to TV)

I like your floor.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Hidden below is my old Shuttle and a bunch of cables, which I'm gonna place in a closet and rewire respectively when I find the time.

I use an ancient MX300 mouse and a an old Logitech Ultra Flat keyboard. 2.0+2.1 speakers in stereo. The laptop is a Znote 6324 and the monitor is a cheap-o widescreen (once you go widescreen you never go back)

I also redid my floor a year ago, only with hand sanders. It took time but turned out well.

Sigmund Fraud fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 28, 2008

The_Original_OG
Oct 23, 2006

Been thuggin' since b4 there were thugs

Unfortunately, I had to disassemble the lego sets not too long ago. My cat likes playing with them too much. Oh well, at least it means I can make something badass.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

There's also my work laptop, a macbook pro, which usually goes on the right, but that was the only source of camera for this picture

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

The_Original_OG posted:

Unfortunately, I had to disassemble the lego sets not too long ago. My cat likes playing with them too much. Oh well, at least it means I can make something badass.

Sup steelcase desk buddy :hfive:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

goat boy posted:

I am using old boxes and books to prop up my laptop and monitor and I really like what you've got. Where'd you get them?

Those are just cheap 'monitor stands' available at any computer / office supply store, probably by Fellowes or Belkin or something.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

The_Original_OG posted:

I have the exact same external hard disks as you. Do you find your iomega to be unreasonably loud compared to the WD? Not to mention not noticeably faster on FW800?

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Nicholas posted:

That's also good protection from getting fired. "drat, that guy has a lot of monitors, he must do some important poo poo, better not fire him"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

VirtualReality posted:

That's also good protection from getting fired. "drat, that guy has a lot of monitors, he must do some important poo poo, better not fire him"

You might be right. I got a very large raise today.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Nicholas posted:

You might be right. I got a very large raise today.

Might want to change the file name of the image then! :v:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I want a new desk, this one is starting to fall apart, and you can't use that whole corner piece for anything meaningful. Cheap-assed $60 Staples desk. I keep the Pro on that shelf because I have a 3-year-old who likes jamming tiny objects into tiny holes. The unfortunate trade-off is that wires are hard to manage. I guess I, too, live like poo poo.

dum2007 posted:

I bought the desk at Staples for about $150! I thought it was a real bargain. It's not 100% sturdy but the rails along the bottom make for excellent cable management.

Well now doesn't that look familiar! $150? Really? Ouch.

edit -

rubbersoul posted:

Synergy son, or if it's all mac just use teleport, it takes like .3 seconds to set up.

Holy poo poo, I think I love you.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 30, 2008

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Also sorry about the "i play crysis so tough look at me" shots. This was when i had built my pc and i wanted to show off, i actually have a decent background and my crysis isn't on my desk. Also the desk is from Ikea, it was one of those build it yourself kits, i never got around to adding anything to it.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 30, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here is my work space. I'm still working out my monitor situation so that's why there are two LCD panels just hanging out there.

Monitor on the far left drives an Xbox360 and a PS3 hooked up to a HDMI switchbox in the shelving unit above. Audio for those go into the headphone amp. The monitor in the middle is for my work desktop machine that will hopefully soon be able to drive dual monitors. The monitor on the far right is for my test machines that are hooked up to the KVM.

I also re-floored my cubicle with laminate flooring because the material was really cheap and the carpet in this cubicle is disgustingly dirty. Now I just need a new chair.

http://www.iamserio.us/files/cube/

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here is my work space. I'm still working out my monitor situation so that's why there are two LCD panels just hanging out there.

Monitor on the far left drives an Xbox360 and a PS3 hooked up to a HDMI switchbox in the shelving unit above. Audio for those go into the headphone amp. The monitor in the middle is for my work desktop machine that will hopefully soon be able to drive dual monitors. The monitor on the far right is for my test machines that are hooked up to the KVM.

I also re-floored my cubicle with laminate flooring because the material was really cheap and the carpet in this cubicle is disgustingly dirty. Now I just need a new chair.

What the hell do you DO for a living? You have both an Xbox360 AND a PS3 at your office cubicle which you have floored with (admittedly fake) wood flooring? I envy you (read: want to kill you and take your job).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, pretty generic.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Bucket Joneses posted:

I too want to know where you work. Also looking at the photo arrangement makes me wonder if you have been diagnosed with OCD.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I work at Real Networks in software qa. And if I had OCD then the cables wouldn't be as half-assed as they are.

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

I work at Real Networks in software qa. And if I had OCD then the cables wouldn't be as half-assed as they are.

You must get a lot of BUFFERING jokes, and your friends and family must hate you.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bucket Joneses posted:

I work at Real Networks in software qa. And if I BUFFERING-----

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'd be all over the buffering jokes, but, props to Real's legal team:

NYTimes posted:

Also on Tuesday, RealNetworks countersued the studios in federal court in San Francisco, asking a judge to find that the program does not violate Hollywood’s DVD license.

from: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/technology/01film.html?ref=business

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Forgive me if I'm mistakenly speaking for the whole forum but I sincerely believe that this is a thread about desks and nobody here actually gives a poo poo about your ricer lights and perhaps you should do something like lurk before posting

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Forgive me if I'm mistakenly speaking for the whole forum but I sincerely believe that this is a thread about desks and nobody here actually gives a poo poo about your ricer lights and perhaps you should do something like lurk before posting

I wanted to say the same thing but I didn't want to sound like a dick

but yeah nobody gives a poo poo what your pc specs are or how many neon lights you've got in there

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Bucket Joneses posted:

laminate flooring? You, sir are awesome. I'd love to do this to my office at work since that low-pile "office carpet" has been stained and hideous since I moved in.

Anyhow. standard office desk #9001 with far too many monitors and the extra laptop for testing poo poo (taken with the phone, sorry for crap quality):

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Yes, that's a zero-tension mouse.. that thing has saved my wrist :)

Sageabilly
Feb 18, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
My home setup isn't that exciting, so here's my work setup:

My BITCHIN SWEET XBlade:

The fan on the side and the round thing on the front lite up blue when it's on. From the minute it was donated to us I was like "That thing is going on my desk," and today it was finally put in it's rightful place. It's hilariously awful-looking, but it's a halfway decent computer.

My nook:

All of my desk area was made out of stuff that was left over in our building when we moved in. It all works out really well, and was more or less custom made for me.

The laptop disassembly station:

(yes, that's a picture of Johnny5)

The desk continues:

That's the shipping station. What you can't really see in this pic is on the end there next to the ladder is the packing peanut jacuzzi- 1'x3'x4' of packing peanuts. It's awesome and creepy if you stick your hand down into it.

Not pictured is the rest of the room which is chock-full of useful computers and computer parts, and the rest of the warehouse which is stuffed to the gills with useless old computers and computer parts.

I work at a computer recycling center. It is awesome :awesome:

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Sageabilly posted:

That's the shipping station. What you can't really see in this pic is on the end there next to the ladder is the packing peanut jacuzzi- 1'x3'x4' of packing peanuts. It's awesome and creepy if you stick your hand down into it.

I think I speak for most goons when I say we'd rather see the jacuzzi than the desk.

also good job recycling :haw: goons giving back!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

rubbersoul posted:

I think I speak for most goons when I say we'd rather see the jacuzzi than the desk.

also good job recycling :haw: goons giving back!

I think in order to post it in this thread, he would have to make it into his desk, or perhaps instead his chair, which would just be awesome.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Hypnolobster posted:

I think in order to post it in this thread, he would have to make it into his desk, or perhaps instead his chair, which would just be awesome.

Laptop and a seat cushion!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A little late, but here's my desk with actually some stuff on it. These are 22" screens.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Too many goons live in caves.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Yeast posted:

Hey Ikea lamp buddy!

That is pretty much my ideal setup there. And the light tone in the room (from what I can see) is awesome.

Ghosts
Mar 10, 2008

by angerbotSD

Yeast posted:

that's a pretty setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yeast posted:

It's true. There's almost no natural light in my flat, ever. Which is good for watching stuff on my projector, but yes, I live in a cave. A filthy, dank cave full of monitors