Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Eronarn posted:

Oh, Muller rules (not as much as Wahlen but...). It's just that until he distinguishes himself it's hard to tell him apart from Fahrenheit, especially since both get fairly limited screen time. It gets easier once only one of them is still alive :v:

Wahlen is pretty much the man in all honesty. "I can't lose what I've already lost!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
I was searching for some videos from the new game and found this interesting dialogue between the Kaiser and someone else instead: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3832297

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...

Zorak posted:

:siren: LOGH (PC) GAME TRAILER:siren:

:siren:LOGH (PC) GAME DEMO:siren:

I wonder if someone will ever make a patch so those of us who can't read moonrunes can play it without blindly groping about the UI.

For example, I can't figure out how to actually play it. By default the game shows you a scenario where Reinhard, Kircheis , Mahler, and Reuental, take on fleets controlled by Wen-li, Attenborough, and a couple other FPA admirals. Then as the battle starts, it just says MISSION CLEAR! And takes you back to the title screen.

Lizking fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 28, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is it seriously a dual core processor for the minimum requirement? That means the minimum specs are higher than Crysis for fucks sake.

EDIT:
2.2 GHz Turion64 MT-40(Which is a single core)
256 MB PCI-E ATi Mobility X1600
1 GB RAM

Ran at about 20-30 FPS during battle, 40 while no fighting was going on. The second button is on the main menu is an actual battle you can play, fairly standard RTS controls. My only disappointment is as far as I can tell, you can only control whole fleets with preset options for formations. It's really fun even though I got whooped by an ambush that trapped me in a pincer.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 28, 2008

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...
My AXP 4000+ (single core), 2GB RAM, 8800GT, runs it just fine.

Also, the top button in the menu is run the auto demo, the 2nd one is to actually play it.

the UI is fairly simple, though there's a few things they should have done that they didn't. I cant use WASD to move the camera around, I have to either click the location on the minimap or drag the camera around with the mouse.

it shocked me how fast-paced it is, even when you only have 1v1 fleet battles. the game is planar, so there's no attacking from above, but the fleets you'll be fighting are constantly in motion, always trying to either get away from you or encircle part of your fleet to wipe it out.
When you have 2v1 battles, you really need to be on your toes or you'll start to lose a battle before you notice, and then you'll be wiped out when you realize you only have 1/10 of your fleet left.

I never bothered to install East Asian Languages, so the text isn't what it should be.

Screen1

This whole fleet is controlled like a squad in Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, or Company of Heroes

Screen 2

Movement is simple

Screen3

Contacted the Rebel Fleet!

Screen4

Those purple things are my Valkyrie fighters. They move like swarms of bees.

Screen 5

Another enemy fleet

Screen 6

He tried to flank me.

Screen 7

Missile Artillery is hard to aim. It seems to be useful when you have more than one fleet at your command

Screen 8

Unleash the bees!

Screen 9

Yea, he's hosed

Screen 10
Two fleets? poo poo. Also, my fleet is glowing due to some CO power or something. Reinhard has one and so does Kircheis. No idea what they do though.

Screen 11

At least I have them all shooting at me from the same direction

Screen 12

This really is not going very well

Screen 13

Right before Brunhilde blows up. Fission Mailed

Lizking fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 28, 2008

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm guessing this game doesn't have a non-sim mode where you can control a guy in axe combat hacking through endless waves of grunts. Or shattering wineglasses. Please tell me I'm wrong because that would be so cool.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Was there new animation in that trailer or something? It seemed a lot more action packed than I remember any episodes being.

E: For example, those red lines of fire in space with Admiral Bucock (guess that could be that asteroid belt place) and a ship firing missiles from its belly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I had fun with the demo, 7-12 frames per second worth of fun!

Missile artillery is pretty useful- the first clash I had with the enemy ended with them quickly trying to run away, so I shot my missiles behind them to act as an anvil to my fleet's hammer. Unfortunately the enemy managed to escape laterally while I bumbled around trying to change my fleet's orientation. Rather than peruse, I hid behind a nebula and once they showed up again with reinforcements I positioned my fleet so that they had to go through the nebula and my barrage of missiles at the same time.

So yeah, simple demo (playing with missiles was basically the only interesting thing I found to do- I really wish the option to split your fleet wasn't grayed out, even if I probobly would have shot myself in the foot with it) but still pretty fun. The absolute best thing, however, was the music. Without the music it would be a slide show of an average space fleet game, with the music I was playing Legend of Galactic Heroes! Heck yeah!

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Eiba posted:

So yeah, simple demo (playing with missiles was basically the only interesting thing I found to do- I really wish the option to split your fleet wasn't grayed out, even if I probobly would have shot myself in the foot with it) but still pretty fun. The absolute best thing, however, was the music. Without the music it would be a slide show of an average space fleet game, with the music I was playing Legend of Galactic Heroes! Heck yeah!

Hell yes! Also if you click the little star, you can make your units glow with the power of Reinhardt's dramatic gestures! I don't know what he's saying but it's probably impressive.

Anyone figured out how to not die when the two fleets show up at once?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dire Penguin posted:

Anyone figured out how to not die when the two fleets show up at once?
Run like hell.. backwards... while shooting off missiles (using them on the first fleet is probobly a bad idea, as you have an extremely finite number of them).

And wait for time to run out. If you confront them one fleet will try to distract you as the other flanks you. Strike while they're together (if you want to keep up the appearance of a battle), flee when they spread out. Use bunched up formations. Hope individual ships get lost (literally) in the chaos and distract the enemy fleet (could I spit my fleet, I'd be throwing a sacrifice squad of damaged ships at them each time I turned to flee).

Using the cheap method of not finishing off the first fleet, I managed to finish with nearly my whole armada intact. When I killed the first guys as fast as possible this strategy left me with about 15 ships in 3 squads by the time 15 minutes was up. On the bright side I'd whittled one of the enemy fleets down to a similar size... though the other was practically untouched.

One neat little detail I noticed as I ran around the map is icons appearing over each group of ships with different colored arrows pointing different directions. After watching them change as I flew through a nebula I realized that they indicate how their velocity compares to the average of the fleet's and how far out of formation they are. I don't know how that information is especially useful, but I though it was cool. Hovering over them gives a lot of arrows, but the text is unintelligible.

Also, under "Opushen" (above web) I unchecked the check-box that said "buruumu," as well as changing the state of "efekuto" (second from the top on the right) and my FPS went from 7-12 to a constant 30 even during the heaviest fighting.

Does anyone know how to make the text display properly? I could have sworn I already installed some sort of east-asian language pack, but I can't be sure. I don't know any Japanese, but it'd be easier to decipher consistent runes than random garble.

(I've spent way too much time with this demo. Definitely going to try to buy the game, language barrier be damned.)

Edit: Got up the courage to click "web" in the menu- it was just the website, but the background music was Bolero. :3:

Eiba fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 28, 2008

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Does anyone know how to make the text display properly? I could have sworn I already installed some sort of east-asian language pack, but I can't be sure. I don't know any Japanese, but it'd be easier to decipher consistent runes than random garble.
Haven't played it myself but do you have your language for non-unicode programs set to Japanese? That's usually what does it.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 7
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 8

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I've watched up to episode 20 now, and I got to say loving Schenkopp is boss.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I've got a question from about episode 25-ish (I'm at episode 30 now):

Why does Reinhard lie to Kircheis about whether or not he let that planet get nuked? Admittedly it ends up a moot point by the next episode, but he had no real reason to incriminate himself in the eyes of his best friend, so why didn't he just say "Dude that Oberstein guy is kind of a dick"? That seemed odd to me.

Anyway it is a pretty enjoyable series so far. The space battles remind of Revolutionary or Civil War era infantry battles, which is pretty cool.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Argon-40 posted:

I've got a question from about episode 25-ish (I'm at episode 30 now):

It's a Japanese thing. You'll see this in a lot of Japanese shows where disasters go down on the leader's watch, and the leader willingly takes full blame even though it's not his fault. It happens a lot in Code Geass, too. The idea is that by pointing the finger at someone else, whether correctly or not, you're shirking responsibility and being whiny, so the noble thing to do is to take all the blame, regardless of who really deserves it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh why bother continuing to watch this after Admiral Yang dies :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Affi posted:

Ugh why bother continuing to watch this after Admiral Yang dies :(
Don't you want to see how they get back at those Terraist fucks :mad:

There are still a lot of compelling stories after that, don't worry.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

There are still a lot of compelling stories after that, don't worry.
Love this show as I do, nothing could really make up for his absence. I know they were setting up Julian as his successor, but I was never quite convinced.

Certainly I wouldn't advise stopping, if only to see how the galaxy ends up, but if I had any complaint about this awesome, awesome show it was how it never regained what it lost there. I'm not complaining that Yang died, as such an ignoble, almost random end to such a great man somehow drives home one of the themes here. I just think once it was done they had no real way to keep going at the same scale.

On the theme of random deaths, that reminds me that one of the side stories I really liked was Popplan's and Konev's friendly banter after missions. Kind of cliche, but usually pretty witty and funny. And then after one random, insignificant confrontation, Konev never came back. I recall them cutting to Popplan returning in a latter battle, and he just looked around and walked away without saying anything. I think it was done pretty well.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Eiba posted:

Love this show as I do, nothing could really make up for his absence. I know they were setting up Julian as his successor, but I was never quite convinced.

Re: Julian, I actually don't think we were supposed to be convinced. I liked the way the show handled that. Julian is pretty outmatched against Reinhard, and when he wins it's only because Reinhard is sick. He's not like a Gundam hero (not that I have anything against Gundam heroes, but they're not appropriate in a show like this) who becomes total boy genius when given the reins of leadership... he does pretty well, consistent with how he had been portrayed up to that point, but he still has to rely, a lot, on the wisdom and experience of the people around him. He's many years away from being another Magician, even when the series ends.

The only unrealistic thing for me--and it is admittedly a pretty big thing to be unrealistic--was that they would give him the leadership role in the first place... but, if you look at it in terms of all the support he had, that he isn't suddenly thrust into governing alone with no help, I can grant them that. It is anime, after all. It did kind of annoy me that he kept his junior grade lieutenant rank pips even after his promotion to leader or whatever the hell he was, though.

And re: the last season, I agree it never really regained what it lost with Yang's death, but I liked how it ended regardless. The final season felt kind of like a denouement to me rather than something rushing to an exciting climax. I felt that that was a deliberate choice, too.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Between the time Yang dies and the end of the show there were very few points where I thought "Things would be different if he were around". As opposed to Kircheis, whose presence would have drasticaly altered the second half of the show and ended the series probably 20-30 episodes sooner.

So really the alliance was a lot more capable of getting along without it's leaders than the empire.
e: actually, the less leadership the alliance had, the better it did

e2: vv Sorry about that but still, it was fansubbed years ago vv

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 12, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

cooldude2.0 posted:

Stuff

DUDE! Spoiler that! Those are both pretty major. I haven't had a lot of time to watch so I'm not very far, thanks a lot. :(

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
The only problem I really had with how the show ended was the way some of the minor plot lines got wrapped up. I'm thinking stuff like "hey remember that missing heir well he died off camera" and Rubinsky going out through some mystery malady with only a petty swipe at the victors to see him off. Otherwise I don't really have any complaints about the last season.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I'm about 75 eps in and this is probably one of the highest quality anime ever. I love that its all about the people. They don't boast about new robots, new ships and new technology. Its crazy smart people trying to outsmart other crazy smart people. Good stuff.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

iceslice posted:

I'm about 75 eps in and this is probably one of the highest quality anime ever. I love that its all about the people. They don't boast about new robots, new ships and new technology. Its crazy smart people trying to outsmart other crazy smart people. Good stuff.

Yeah, definitely. Outside of a few specific instances (Kircheis and the magic zephyr particles, for one; the Thor Hammer, etc.), the technology doesn't really matter. You could tell the same story without the sci-fi elements pretty easily. Even the stuff that's kind of out there, like the Iserlohn/Phezzan Corridors, is easily believable in other environments... like, it's pretty easy to imagine a story with a lot of naval battles, or land battles, where there are natural chokepoints like that.

It's definitely the most "literary" anime I've ever watched (and I guess that makes sense, given where it came from.)

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Currently on Episode 23. Really enjoying the depiction of the simultaneous civil wars. Busy downloading the second batch torrent of episodes 29-56, but it's a lot slower than the first one, IMHO.

Among my favorite things so far is Episode 20, where Reinhard's forces are trying to take one of the rebelling nobles' fortresses, and the fighting devolves into utterly loving brutal melee combat with axes and crossbows.

If this is the poo poo we're going to get with Tytania, but with Macross Frontier levels of graphics... I'm gonna just have to break down in tears that it'll take a week in between each episode of that. :cry:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

patricius posted:

Kircheis and the magic zephyr particles, for one;
Yang and Kircheis using different methods to defeat the ULTIMATE PLANET DEFENSE system was one of my favorite parts of the show.
genius commanders: 2
scientists: 0

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
The LoGH game demo is pretty fun, even if I don't know what the commanders' special buffs do. I've eaten my way through four fleets thrown at me, but then the 15-minute time limit stops me from finishing off those two level 3 fleets that try and attack you at once. I've already mauled them both pretty badly by splitting them apart from each other and hammering just one at a time, and I managed to actually split one fleet apart with a column attack, and then obliterated the 1/3rd of his fleet I'd split off.

Goddamn 15 minute time limit!

But this is like crack and I want more

iceslice
May 20, 2005

KlavoHunter posted:

Currently on Episode 23. Really enjoying the depiction of the simultaneous civil wars. Busy downloading the second batch torrent of episodes 29-56, but it's a lot slower than the first one, IMHO.

Among my favorite things so far is Episode 20, where Reinhard's forces are trying to take one of the rebelling nobles' fortresses, and the fighting devolves into utterly loving brutal melee combat with axes and crossbows.

If this is the poo poo we're going to get with Tytania, but with Macross Frontier levels of graphics... I'm gonna just have to break down in tears that it'll take a week in between each episode of that. :cry:

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but let me just say you are in for a HUGE ride. I've just finished through 80 and have fallen out of my chair for the second time. Just get it over with and download it all now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

iceslice posted:

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but let me just say you are in for a HUGE ride. I've just finished through 80 and have fallen out of my chair for the second time. Just get it over with and download it all now.

God damnit, I just watched the first episode of Tytania and now I have to see LoGH. But I already have 16gb of various fansubs downloading in uTorrent. :smith:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

16gb of various fansubs
I'm willing to bet that none of these are even half as good as LOGH :colbert:

You know what you have to do.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You know what you have to do.

I have the first batch torrent loaded up (episodes 1-28), I figure since everybody says it's the most awesome ever I'll just skip trying the first episode solo like I normally do.

It's not first on my list though, I want to finish FarScape S1 and the rest of Macross Frontier sooo bad...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you just wanna watch them quickly to see if you like, the show is on CrunchyRoll. My school's internet has been messed up, so I've been watching on there and the quality is fine.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I'm also now of the opinion that Reuental is more badass then Reinhard.
edit: And the guy who does the narration must have spent years and years in the recording studio. He speaks easily half of every episode.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 17, 2008

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LOGH - Overture to a New War

Not Central-Anime so I can't vouch for the quality of the subs (and the encode isn't very good, it's interlaced/telecined and wrong aspect ratio, but that can be corrected).

From what I gather this is a remake/expansion of the first two episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

LOGH - Overture to a New War

Not Central-Anime so I can't vouch for the quality of the subs (and the encode isn't very good, it's interlaced/telecined and wrong aspect ratio, but that can be corrected).

From what I gather this is a remake/expansion of the first two episodes.
From my limited knowledge of Japanese the subs are not particularly accurate on a lot of lines, and overall are pretty half-assed. But the main problem as you said is the encode; god it's like knives in the eyes :psypop:

But, I will definitely be looking forward to CA subbing it sooner or later.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Started watching this recently, and holy poo poo, this rules.

However, Kircheis died! And Jessica?! I've never been so pissed or amazed at the rate in which main characters are getting demolished in this anime, sweet jesus. :argh:

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Started watching this recently, and holy poo poo, this rules.

However, Kircheis died! And Jessica?! I've never been so pissed or amazed at the rate in which main characters are getting demolished in this anime, sweet jesus. :argh:

Yeah, I think LoGH is one of the few shows I've watched, in any medium, where "no one is safe" is actually true.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just finished this excellent space-show, I just wished there'd be like another episode to tie things up. It'd be loving awesome if we got to see Obersteins will. :D

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 9
DVD version of Galactic Heroes Episode 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 5 xvid h264
LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 6 xvid h264