Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished Firefly, will watch Serenity (the movie) later this evening.

Holy poo poo, network execs are idiots.

Sure, the ratings probably were bad when it originally aired (were they?), but what exactly did they expect when they ran the episodes out of order and showed the PILOT at the END of the season? What the gently caress?

The "What really happened" special on the DVDs is gutwrenching.
You can tell how devastated the cast and crew were by how lovely the whole affair was handled.

I knew that Firefly was prematurely cancelled and this is what kept me from catching up on the series in the first place, but I got a sweet deal on the season box set and the movie and thought I should give it a shot. Now I am depressed for another excellent show ruined by a network. Don't DVD sales factor in when those dickheads make decisions these days?

Ah well, at least Farscape had it's run with four seasons.
Hopefully Serenity will bring some closure. The season/series finale sure as hell did not.
Was Firefly cancelled mid-season or was "Objects in Space" the intended season finale?

Coming up next:
Pushing Daisies or The Shield, depending on my mood after watching Serenity.

Edit:
Serenity was mighty impressive for a tacked on feature film for a tv series that has been nipped in the bud by the network. I really feel sorry for the cast and crew.

Is there a way to check how well the series and the movie sold on DVD?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just finished Veronica Mars.

Great show.

Starting Damages next.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I've been watching the bbc show Ideal because of the recent boingboing article about it.

I'm almost done with the second series season. It's pretty entertaining so far. At first I thought Cartoon Head (pictured right) was a hallucination, but he's not. I'm not sure how I like him anyway, he seems somewhat out of place with the rest of the show. He's starting to grow on me though.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.
I was watching between 4-8 episodes of how I met your mother over the past weeks to finally catch up to live viewings. I plan on doing a quick gloss over of my seasons of 24 and pray to god this upcoming one at least gets it off of life support.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mcbexx posted:

Just finished Firefly, will watch Serenity (the movie) later this evening.

Holy poo poo, network execs are idiots.

Sure, the ratings probably were bad when it originally aired (were they?), but what exactly did they expect when they ran the episodes out of order and showed the PILOT at the END of the season? What the gently caress?

The "What really happened" special on the DVDs is gutwrenching.
You can tell how devastated the cast and crew were by how lovely the whole affair was handled.

I knew that Firefly was prematurely cancelled and this is what kept me from catching up on the series in the first place, but I got a sweet deal on the season box set and the movie and thought I should give it a shot. Now I am depressed for another excellent show ruined by a network. Don't DVD sales factor in when those dickheads make decisions these days?

Ah well, at least Farscape had it's run with four seasons.
Hopefully Serenity will bring some closure. The season/series finale sure as hell did not.
Was Firefly cancelled mid-season or was "Objects in Space" the intended season finale?

Coming up next:
Pushing Daisies or The Shield, depending on my mood after watching Serenity.

Edit:
Serenity was mighty impressive for a tacked on feature film for a tv series that has been nipped in the bud by the network. I really feel sorry for the cast and crew.

Is there a way to check how well the series and the movie sold on DVD?

Yes, Firefly was canceled mid-season. I think three of the episodes even went unaired. The ratings were pretty bad. As one who watched it as it originally aired, I blame you personally and everyone else who didn't watch it.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I just rewatched Scrubs, and I just bought the first 3 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I don't know how I managed to miss this for the last few years. It really is an amazing show. I was always aware of it, and one of my friends talked about it frequently, even going so far to explain the plot of a couple of episodes. But you really just have to see it for yourself, and after seeing a few of this seasons episodes, I was hooked.

Now I keep sending him e-mails that consist solely of quotes and situations that I thought were hilarious.

mangler103 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 14, 2008

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
Currently working my way through season 3.1 of Entourage and my only disapointment is the 2 episodes with Dom.

A friend of mine just loaned me season 1 of Boston Legal and I have to say "Wow!" loving loved it! Not a huge Spader fan, but he was great in that. I am a huge Shatner fan and he is awesome in this show. The two of them together make an amazing team.

I really have to get NetFlix so I can watch the rest of the seasons.

entropy_wins
Mar 28, 2007

by Fragmaster
Breaking Bad was loving brilliant. It really deserved every Emmy it got.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
My husband finally convinced me to watch all of Angel a year ago, and I loved it, but my hatred for Sara Michelle Gellar always kept me from watching Buffy. I finally got over myself and have watched it up to the end of Season 3 and I'm really enjoying it. It's too bad I watched Angel first since I know so many things about what happens, but it's still a lot of fun. I haven't seen any non-Angel episodes yet, so I'm worried it will take a dive without Boreanaz in the cast.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

DoggPickle posted:

I haven't seen any non-Angel episodes yet, so I'm worried it will take a dive without Boreanaz in the cast.

In my opinion, it does at first (NOT a fan of season 4), but don't give up, it does get better - season 5 is one of the best.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
My wife and I have been binging Buffy and Angel since the summer as well. We just hit once more with feeling, which I had seen before but my wife had not. My wife proudly proclaimed during the episode that she was sure it was her favorite episode of anything ever. So even in the muck and mire of seasons 5 and 6 there are gems.
I prefer Angel while my wife prefers Buffy, which is kinda funny.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I've been binging on Buffy and Angel as well. Currently on Buffy season 6/Angel season 3. The experience has reinforced the lesson that hardcore fans are usually loving retarded, because I've been hearing for years about how season 6 is worse than cancer but I'm halfway through and think it might be my favorite next to 3 and 4 (which fans also hate)

The show changed a lot as it progressed, especially after they left high school, but in my opinion it never got "worse"

Unless I change my mind when I get to season 7.

But I really think this might be my favorite show of all time, or at least in the top 3 or something...I'm so addicted I can't stand waiting 2 days between netflix shipments, so I'll download episodes to watch in the interim.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Haha two replies and two totally divergent opinions of Season 5 ;)

I guess I will find out for myself. For the record, the first 3 episodes of Season 4, without Angel, are totally acceptable but not the best I've seen yet from the series. I'll totally stick it out though! Spike dropping in was nice, although once again I knew what was going to happen because I dumbly watched Angel first. Doh.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Personally, I think 4 is weaksauce, 5 picks back up, and 6 starts sucking again. But I base this on the main protagonist/arch for the season. I don't know that I'd be able to even measure which seasons had more episodes I like.
I haven't made it to 7 yet but I hear it picks up again.
At least with Angel it seems to just continually get better over time. Season 5 is my favorite Joss Whedon thing next to Firefly.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Donny Brook posted:

A friend of mine just loaned me season 1 of Boston Legal and I have to say "Wow!" loving loved it! Not a huge Spader fan, but he was great in that. I am a huge Shatner fan and he is awesome in this show. The two of them together make an amazing team.

Same here. I'm nearly done with season 4 and am pretty sad that season 5 is the end.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Wonderfalls

Which is a very cruel thing to do to yourself since there's only 13 episodes and so much lost potential because of it.

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002
I've been watching a lot of The West Wing. Just finished the fifth season. Seasons 1 - 4 when Sorkin was there (apparently he wrote every single episode) are all gold, five was okay with some filler episodes and great stuff (Speaker Haffley is awesome, I loved that actor's character on JAG too) in there. From what I remember, six is loving terribly boring and bland, but I will give it another try.

One thing is for certain, I drink a lot of loving coffee watching this series. I love coffee and seeing the characters drink it all the time and the issues discussed, it almost seems like I'm doing something serious.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I just finished Season Six and loved the hell out of it. Though I suppose it depends on how much you like the Jimmy Smits plot.

Not looking forward to Season Seven due to John Spencer's exit. S6 ending with Leo as the VP Candidate drat near broke me to tears because I know how much worse That episode will be when I get to it.

I'm not so much binging on it, but watching it as it's just started over here: Breaking Bad, the first episode was okay, the second episode was just downright hilarious and brilliant. Anyone that loves Dexter needs to check this out, so brilliantly dark. I have no idea what the full plan for this show is yet, and I'm sure the Writer's Strike didn't help, but it's just great television.

Trying to not watch too much new cable shows at the moment though, because I know the gap left by The Wire can't be replaced so I'm not even going to try. Generation Kill is "coming soon" to the UK though, I need that to hurry up.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I'm really bad about binging on TV DVDs of series I always wanted to watch, but didn't.

Weeds is my latest binge. I saw a random episode at a friend's house and then went and bought the first two seasons, and then rented the third season since my friend insisted it wasn't worth buying.

Love it, watched all three seasons in about a week and a half.

Trying to decide what I want to get next.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"Pushing Daisies" field report:

I am now two-thirds through the first season (which by the way looks awesome on BluRay!), and while I am enjoying it so far, I can't really "binge" through this one like I did with lots of other shows. I could easily sit through 5-6 episodes of, say, "Veronica Mars", "Firefly" or "How I met your mother" ("oh, it's 5:00 am already?"), but for some reason I hardly can watch more than 2 episodes of "Pushing Daisies" in one sitting. I really like the show, the characters, the design and the quirky storylines, but only in small doses.
Can't put my finger on why that is, though.

Vexation
Sep 30, 2007

These endless days are finally ending in a blaze.
Just started working my way through the complete series of Oz.

Beecher annoyed me at first, but by the end of season one he kicks rear end. I hope he sticks around for awhile before getting shanked or something.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
warning: mini-essay ahead

DoggPickle posted:

Haha two replies and two totally divergent opinions of Season 5 ;)

I guess I will find out for myself. For the record, the first 3 episodes of Season 4, without Angel, are totally acceptable but not the best I've seen yet from the series. I'll totally stick it out though! Spike dropping in was nice, although once again I knew what was going to happen because I dumbly watched Angel first. Doh.

The first three seasons of Buffy are like increasingly improved variations on a theme. The first is an incredibly rough draft with nary a sign of greatness, the second is an immensely improved revision, and the third follows on from the second while adding just enough to make it that much better. After high school, everything changes. Season 4 doesn't show its colors too much at first, but by the end just about every major character has gone through a huge change. And why not? It's college! Thing is, the changes will just get bigger and bigger as the show goes on, so for those who are really attached to the high school years season 4 is the beginning of the end.

The first three seasons (well, the second and third) are a wonderful show, a well-written, fun, dramatic series with a lot to say about adolescence. But starting with season 4, it increasingly reveals itself as a truly great, poignant show about life in general. The metaphor begins to be stripped away, the humor lurking behind nearly every scene in the early scenes starts to fade into the background. The show changes a lot, and occasionally missteps, but it all makes sense and pays off.

Shawn posted:

At least with Angel it seems to just continually get better over time. Season 5 is my favorite Joss Whedon thing next to Firefly.

Angel for me started out extremely weak and unfocused and kinda had little peaks and valleys before finding its purpose in season 2. Outside of Angel and Cordelia none of the various cast members seemed to fit in during the first season and the first few episodes of the second until Angel fires everyone in that season and suddenly the ensemble comes together and starts to click. Gunn especially was a terrible character at first and the writers clearly didn't know what to do with him, but he eventually comes into his own. I'm only a few episodes into season 3 but I'm already liking it even more with the addition of Fred, who is neck and neck with Willow as the most adorable geek girl in the Whedonverse.

But one thing that strikes me with Angel is that, in comparison to Buffy, it seems kind of haphazard and improvisational in the planning. The writers just kinda throw stuff at the board to see what sticks, and it's filled with abandoned characters and concepts in the first couple seasons alone: Kate, the rich guy who buys the hotel, Dennis the ghost (I know he pops up a few more times but he doesn't really have a purpose.) Part of what I love about Buffy is the way it SEEMS to all make perfect sense and be planned out from beginning to end even though I know it wasn't. It's easy to believe it was just written as a big planned-out epic before the first episode was even shot, and the fact that it wasn't but still feels that way makes me respect Whedon all the more.

Horseface fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 15, 2008

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
This thread has given me a few ideas.

Ive recently got in the habit of spending one weekend day just watching DVD's (its been winter), and have managed to knock off Dexter 1 and 2, The X-Files through to season 8, all of Deadwood, and only have 2 or 4 episodes of Oz left.

I rarely watch telly, so Ive got no idea whats good and whats poo poo apart from what mates say. Its a shame I dont like police/law/medical type shows generally because its about all I see when looking for box sets.

Im thinking its time to load up on Dr Who, and possibly Buffy. Or maybe Millennium, I remember it vaguely, and the X-files ep with Frank Black in it reminded me. Thats if its even out on DVD.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

ShimSham posted:

I'm really bad about binging on TV DVDs of series I always wanted to watch, but didn't.

Weeds is my latest binge. I saw a random episode at a friend's house and then went and bought the first two seasons, and then rented the third season since my friend insisted it wasn't worth buying.

Love it, watched all three seasons in about a week and a half.

Trying to decide what I want to get next.

I got through all three seasons of Weeds in one weekend. I always had a thing for Mary-Louise Parker and I was house-sitting for my sister so on my way over there I picked up season 1 and watched the whole thing before I went to bed, so the next day I ran to Best Buy and picked up season 2. Same thing, so on my way home I stopped by Best Buy again and got season 3 and watched it that night. Cool show, but the season cliffhangers are a bitch. You have to know what happens next. Bastards.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

mcbexx posted:

"Pushing Daisies" field report:

I am now two-thirds through the first season (which by the way looks awesome on BluRay!), and while I am enjoying it so far, I can't really "binge" through this one like I did with lots of other shows. I could easily sit through 5-6 episodes of, say, "Veronica Mars", "Firefly" or "How I met your mother" ("oh, it's 5:00 am already?"), but for some reason I hardly can watch more than 2 episodes of "Pushing Daisies" in one sitting. I really like the show, the characters, the design and the quirky storylines, but only in small doses.
Can't put my finger on why that is, though.

As a huge fan of Pushing Daisies, this is completely understandable. Pushing Daisies is like candy for the eyes and ears. It's beautiful, the dialogue is fast and brilliant, but there's so much of it and it's so rich you can only have a little at a time.

This weekend I'm hoping to go straight through John Adams. It's only a Miniseries but a lot of goons thought it was great and it won a lot of Emmys so I'm looking forward to it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just got through Rome, moving onto Deadwood.
I love the tense dramatic scenes in either of these shows. Especially the long ones in Rome like when Servilia gets raped and tortured after trying to have Atia poisoned. There's always such relief at the ends of the scenes too, comic or otherwise.

I'm also going trough Babylon 5 again after a few years. I made it up to the end of season 04 until I stopped watching last time, currently towards the end of Season 01 now.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Well I finally finished the entirety of the X-Files, including the new movie. Thought season 9 was kind of lovely, except for a few mytharcs which were pretty decent. The super soldier thing was dumb though, Black Oil was a much better plotline. I had a lot of fun identifying all the people who went on to be in the newer shows I watch though. Adam Baldwin was really good - he rules and I sang the Hero of Canton song from Firefly every time he showed up. Three characters from "Lost" were in it as well - Locke (in "Trust No 1"), Ben (in "Sunshine Days") and Widmore (in a bunch of eps at the end). And Leoben from Battlestar Galactica was in the new movie, which I know wasn't that well-received, but I thought it was really good and got the characters just right.

Decided I need a half-hour comedy that I can just watch whenever I want as my next show, so I think I'm gonna check out How I Met Your Mother. I love NPH and heard the show's hilarious. My friend is also demanding that I see It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia so that will probably happen soon too.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Been going through Monty Python's Flying Circus, because it's still amusing almost 40 years later. Going through Cromartie High School because that poo poo is hilarious, since it pretty much makes fun of all anime. Thinking about picking up The Shield, but after The Wire, there's just a big hole in me that no cop show will ever fill.

Robert Kubica posted:

Or maybe Millennium, I remember it vaguely, and the X-files ep with Frank Black in it reminded me. Thats if its even out on DVD.

I was cold on Millennium at the start, but my gf really insisted on it from her recollections of it, and it's really, really dark and overall pretty good. In the middle of Season 3 right now, and I didn't like the new character too much, but she's started to grow on me as well. I like how it actually tried to play off the old millennial fears and was short enough to end before 2000 rolled around.

Oh poo poo, and I guess we've been going through Buffy and Angel as well, whenever we buy the seasons. Angel is always amusing, and Buffy is really only good when it focuses on everyone and not just Buffy and her whining about relationships.

[img][/img]

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
The only thing The Wire and The Shield have in common is that they are cop shows and that they are both great, but for completely different reasons.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Been going through Criminal Minds from the beginning. I'd already seen a bit of season 2 and all of season 3 and 4 so far but I started watching from the beginning, and I've finished the first 2 seasons. Will start 3 when my DVDs arrive, which is hopefully tomorrow.

From what I remember of season 3, it probably is the best so far, but 4 hasn't had any weak points yet.

creepyguy
Oct 26, 2006

10:s:J:s:Q:s:K:s:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HC2LI0/ref=nosim/somethi-20

I hate to bump an old thread, but many of you were binging through this series in here, and I didn't want to start a new thread for this deal. But you can get the whole The West Wing series for $115 today from amazon.com. Normally it runs $230 or so (I was actually looking at this series this past week due to Pam and Jim mentioning it in a deleted scene from The Office, and I remembered how much I loved the show when I binged through it last Spring) or you can get all the individual seasons for around $45 a piece, or $315 total. It's an awesome deal, and I thought I'd share it with TVIV in case none of you visit Coupons and Deals.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Count Choculitis posted:

My friend is also demanding that I see It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia so that will probably happen soon too.

It's a funny show, but it doesn't start getting really good until season 3 if you ask me.

I finished The Wire not too long ago and I'm working on Deadwood at the moment. I haven't decided what to do after that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I know it was only a miniseries but I watched all of John Adams over the last two Fridays. I really enjoyed it. For once I felt like I was watching something really trying to be historically accurate and portrayed the founding fathers like people, not Gods. I really enjoyed turning on the historic notes while watching. It was really worth the time.

It looks like Netflix is sending me the first three discs of season 1 of The Shield next. I'm prepared to be hooked.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Well. I made it up to the 2nd or 3rd disk of 24 Season 5 then lost interest. Now I'm about 2/3rds of the way through season 1 of Heroes. It's pretty neat.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Annakie posted:

I know it was only a miniseries but I watched all of John Adams over the last two Fridays. I really enjoyed it. For once I felt like I was watching something really trying to be historically accurate and portrayed the founding fathers like people, not Gods. I really enjoyed turning on the historic notes while watching. It was really worth the time.

If you ask me, John Adams is worth watching for David Morse's portrayal of George Washington alone. If they ever made a spin-off series of this program based around Washington and they brought back Morse to do the part, I'd watch the poo poo out that miniseries.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I just finished The Wire and it's almost depressing that it's over. I've got to pick up The West Wing where I left it somewhere in series 4 before I forget what I've already watched.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Count Choculitis posted:

Well I finally finished the entirety of the X-Files, including the new movie.

I watched x files back in the day, but just random stuff here and there. I just started going through the series now, only on 1x10 or so. I was expecting the first season to be bad, then pick up later in season 2 or 3 for some reason, but so far I've been happy with it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vexation posted:

Just started working my way through the complete series of Oz.

Beecher annoyed me at first, but by the end of season one he kicks rear end. I hope he sticks around for awhile before getting shanked or something.

Definitely one of the best characters on the show. But I'm biased.

Anyways, this summer was me catching up on House and getting current with it. Great, awesome show, I thought it was one-trick at first, but it is still strong in my opinion.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

Pardot posted:

I watched x files back in the day, but just random stuff here and there. I just started going through the series now, only on 1x10 or so. I was expecting the first season to be bad, then pick up later in season 2 or 3 for some reason, but so far I've been happy with it.

Me too, I was really surprised how good season 1 was. It gets even better in season 2+ when they really start getting into the mythology of the show. I think 4 is fantastic, it's tough for me to decide whether that or 6 is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Fish
Dec 15, 2007

Stop grinning like a fucking psycho and get back to work
Finally finished all of Buffy about a week ago.

Currently re-watching Dexter and just started Prison Break. Really enjoying it so far.