Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Flutch posted:

I picked up a Less Than Jake album on a whim, and I dig it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?

Flutch posted:

Hmm, I've been looking for some more punk-ish ska, along the lines of Detonate, The Flaming Tsunamis, The Suicide Machines...but I haven't had any luck.

If you like The Suicide Machines, pick up "Destroy To Create" by The Flatliners. They've abandoned the ska sound quite a bit since then, but that album is killer.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Flutch posted:

Hmm, I've been looking for some more punk-ish ska, along the lines of Detonate, The Flaming Tsunamis, The Suicide Machines...but I haven't had any luck.

I picked up a Less Than Jake album on a whim, and I dig it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I'm new to this scene. Haha.

Definitely check out Public Access, they even have some free stuff you can download from https://www.communityrecords.org which coincidentally has stuff from another band you might like, Stuck Lucky. In fact you should love Stuck Lucky, they're amazing. If you're into the Flaming Tsunamis and that kinda ska-core check out Fatter Than Albert. Last but not least a lot of stuff from the Fad might be right up your alley. Here's some easy clickability for your listening pleasure:

https://www.myspace.com/publicaccess

https://www.myspace.com/stucklucky

https://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert

https://www.myspace.com/thefad

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
to second what Josh Wow is saying Fatter than Albert and Stuck Lucky are loving amazing. You can download albums from both of them for free off the website.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Flutch posted:

Sorry, I'm new to this scene. Haha.

[The?] Blue Meanies would be right up your alley, I'd think.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Just got back from Chicago. The show was freaking awesome. Started out the night with the wife and I browsing the merch tables. While talking to one of the guys Dr. Ring Ding walks up and strikes up a conversation with the merch guy. He goes off on some rather dirty joke along the lines of "There once was a man from Nantucket...".

All 4 bands rocked the house, but seeing Roy Ellis performing with Eastern Standard Time playing the music was the highlight. I will be uploading the pics I took with my phone later today.

Now all I have to do is wait for Deal's Gone Bad and Mustard Plug in 2 weeks :)

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Urgh, I wish I was 21 or had a fake. A bar in Philly, the Barbary has a party called 10 Commandments once a month. They spin all old ska, reggae, soul, dub, and rocksteady. Some friends of mine have been going, and it sounds loving awesome.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

dnz posted:

[The?] Blue Meanies would be right up your alley, I'd think.

Seconding this. Everyone should have Full Throttle and Kiss Your rear end Goodbye spinning fairly regularly. The Blue Meanies were severely underrated and still are.

Also, check out Against All Authority. I know, I know, everyone got into this band when they were 14 and pissed at the man, but god dammit if I still don't love All Fall Down.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Bump for the sake of last night's Streetlight show at Starland Ballroom.

Briefs on the opening bands: The AKAs (Hard Rock) suck, The Swellers are alright but not anything special, but The Fear Nuttin' Band was pretty good. Their band picture pretty much explains their sound.

Set List, to the best of my memory. I will screw this up, badly. Please correct if you were there:
    * Would You Be Impressed
    * The Saddest Song
    * The Receiving End Of It All
    * Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint
    * We Will Fall Together
    * Forty Days
    * Down, Down, Down, to Mephisto's Cafe
    * It's A Wonderful Life
    * Linoleum
    * That'll Be The Day
    * Here's To Life
    * On & On & On & On
    * Watch It Crash
Encore
    * Acoustic Medley: Sick and Sad, The Big Sleep, Somewhere In The Between
    * Somewhere In The Between

Not much to say, but just a heads up for those going to later shows. I'll add anything if I remember anything.

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

I was at that Starland show. Is there any reason why Streetlight doesn't tour with ska bands? Most of the kids at that show were really disappointed in the opening bands.

Streelight played a great set. I would have a liked a few more songs in the encore, but I was satisfied by what I got. The cover of Linoleum seemed out of place though.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

They played Sick and Sad acoustic?

drat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Linoleum makes me scratch my head but the rest of that is great.
I would kill to hear Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

DRD posted:

I was at that Starland show. Is there any reason why Streetlight doesn't tour with ska bands? Most of the kids at that show were really disappointed in the opening bands.

Streelight played a great set. I would have a liked a few more songs in the encore, but I was satisfied by what I got. The cover of Linoleum seemed out of place though.

They've opened for LTJ/RBF before.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Linoleum makes me scratch my head but the rest of that is great.
They've been playing it a lot lately. (NOFX cover, if you didn't know.) Their version's quite good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can't be as bad as the original.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Urgh, I wish I was 21 or had a fake. A bar in Philly, the Barbary has a party called 10 Commandments once a month. They spin all old ska, reggae, soul, dub, and rocksteady. Some friends of mine have been going, and it sounds loving awesome.

I should try to make it to that. Unrelated, but they just announced a Dead Milkmen show at the Church. I got my ticket :)

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

Bump for the sake of last night's Streetlight show at Starland Ballroom.

Briefs on the opening bands: The AKAs (Hard Rock) suck, The Swellers are alright but not anything special, but The Fear Nuttin' Band was pretty good. Their band picture pretty much explains their sound.

Set List, to the best of my memory. I will screw this up, badly. Please correct if you were there:
    * Would You Be Impressed
    * The Saddest Song
    * The Receiving End Of It All
    * Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint
    * We Will Fall Together
    * Forty Days
    * Down, Down, Down, to Mephisto's Cafe
    * It's A Wonderful Life
    * Linoleum
    * That'll Be The Day
    * Here's To Life
    * On & On & On & On
    * Watch It Crash
Encore
    * Acoustic Medley: Sick and Sad, The Big Sleep, Somewhere In The Between
    * Somewhere In The Between

Not much to say, but just a heads up for those going to later shows. I'll add anything if I remember anything.

That seems short for a set at Starland. I'll be seeing this tour in SLC since I'll be there on business next week. And I'm looking forward to seeing the AKAs. I downloaded their new album a couple of months ago. I didn't think it was anything special, but I just keep listening to it over and over. Give 'em another shot.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
That sounds exactly like the set they did last year at Starland

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DRD posted:

I managed to catch Streetlight opening for the BossTones Saturday night but it was one of those cases where the planets aligned for a split second...I guess both bands had a show scheduled that night in Buffalo so they "merged" them. I'd really like to see a tour with the BossTones, Streetlight and another east-coast band like The Pietasters or Westbound Train. Part of the problem with Streetlight not touring with Ska bands is there really aren't that many ska bands left (for example, face it, RBF is a ska band in name only anymore) and of those that are left, Streelight's really the only one that tours nearly year-round.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Geoj posted:

I managed to catch Streetlight opening for the BossTones Saturday night but it was one of those cases where the planets aligned for a split second...I guess both bands had a show scheduled that night in Buffalo so they "merged" them. I'd really like to see a tour with the BossTones, Streetlight and another east-coast band like The Pietasters or Westbound Train. Part of the problem with Streetlight not touring with Ska bands is there really aren't that many ska bands left (for example, face it, RBF is a ska band in name only anymore) and of those that are left, Streelight's really the only one that tours nearly year-round.

The Bosstones have been scheduled to play with streetlight and everybody out in buffalo for a few months now. Did you see everybody out? I love those guys.

And what do you mean RBF is ska in name only?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The rock influences.
Which, I don't give a poo poo, RBF is still one of my favorite bands, and a ska band to boot. Turn the Radio Off is amazing.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Please don't start that discussion in this thread.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I just noticed this on the Catch 22 wikipedia entry

"Several bands who opened for Catch 22 in the past have gone on to find fame on the mainstream, including Sum 41, Bowling for Soup, and Taking Back Sunday and AFI."

I wasn't into them back then, but really? I feel like TBS and Catch 22 must've been one of the most awkward shows ever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Please don't start that discussion in this thread.

Someone on another forum told me that my friends' band wasn't really ska
I was like you know what you're right they should play nothing but upstrokes and hit the drums just right you pretentious poo poo.
For the record, it was the band I posted a few pages ago, posting again for gently caress you I can. http://myspace.com/4point0ny

Also I think the AFI/Catch show would be waaaay more awkward. Or Sum 41, depending on when it was.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Someone on another forum told me that my friends' band wasn't really ska
I was like you know what you're right they should play nothing but upstrokes and hit the drums just right you pretentious poo poo.
For the record, it was the band I posted a few pages ago, posting again for gently caress you I can. http://myspace.com/4point0ny

Seriously, the off-beat guitar strokes are typically the backbone, but my favourite bands are the ones that aren't afraid to step away from that model, and only go back when there's a whole bunch of other stuff going on.

This band here I'm really hesitating to call this as ska though. I guess I can hear it in the vocals a little. But my point is, punk with horns is great, who cares if they're not "ska," a genre is not a measure of quality.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Their covers are a lot closer, or were when they started.
When they switched drummers and brought in the trumpet it shifted a lot more towards punk. Still works though, it's the local flavor. We have a decent punk-ska/rock-ska scene, I guess.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Somehow I missed this the first time and I like what I heard. Any plans for an album?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And what do you mean RBF is ska in name only?

Well...most (all?) of their new stuff sounds like they're just trying to get on top 40 charts, and the last time I saw them play they didn't do a whole lot of their old stuff. My point is, while they used to strictly be a ska band they've now moved on.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Bosstones have been scheduled to play with streetlight and everybody out in buffalo for a few months now. Did you see everybody out? I love those guys.

From the Streetlight news archive:

quote:

09.04.2008 | Buffalo Show NOT Cancelled, etc
Sorry for the confusion, but the Buffalo NY headline show is not cancelled. The show happened to fall on the same night as the Buffalo stop of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones reunion tour, so the shows were merged. Well, not really merged, so much as they added Streetlight to their bill (support from the SM tour won't be there)

And no, I didn't see Everybody Out...I was a half hour late getting to the venue and they were patting down everyone going inside, by the time I got to the door their set was finished and Streetlight was setting up.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 14, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Somehow I missed this the first time and I like what I heard. Any plans for an album?

Their first EP came out uhhh a month or two ago? Maybe? The EP is what's on the myspace plus their cover of Bad Town. In my opinion, they have better covers than that, though. They do a couple of Streetlight covers that are great, and their cover of If You Really Love Me, by the Flaming Tsunamis, is straight out amazing. Johnny Tsunami was at one of their shows, and afterwards told the band that he preferred their version to his.
As far as full album, who knows. Half of the band is still in high school, and one or two of them are only juniors.

EDIT: Youtube and 4point0 present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQaEtd1AZU. This is the only decent recording of them doing the Tsunamis song. Skip the first minute or so, it's just their trombonist/occasional singer introducing the band.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 14, 2008

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

EDIT: Youtube and 4point0 present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQaEtd1AZU This is the only decent recording of them doing the Tsunamis song. Skip the first minute or so, it's just their trombonist/occasional singer introducing the band.

Fixed the link for you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Whooops. Didn't realize the period got caught in the link.
They're playing at the show at Funk 'n Waffles on the 25th, CNY goons, as is The Action and Straighter Than Pete, which is seven kinds of rad

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

The Action loving rule live. That is all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Action went on right after 4point0 the last time 4point0 played. They got up there and started asking if the band was still there, and it turned into this whole thing about "holy poo poo you guys ruled" and then they launched into Skatos Saves The Day. I'm going to ask them if they'll play 18 Years Later at Devil's Night Out.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
gently caress yeah, seeing LTJ on November 5th at a very small venue in Exeter. I'm excited because I haven't had time to see any bands this year yet and I was pretty happy with GNV FLA. Plus I don't usually do poo poo on Guy Fawkes' Night.

Anyone know if they're playing any of their older songs on this tour? Last year in Orlando I was loving stoked to hear Liquor Store, but that was chosen on the Wheel of Fortune thing that they did.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

demolition rickshaw posted:

Anyone know if they're playing any of their older songs on this tour? Last year in Orlando I was loving stoked to hear Liquor Store, but that was chosen on the Wheel of Fortune thing that they did.

On their last tour with Mustard Plug/Suburban Legends the show I was at they played more old stuff than I've ever heard them play, and I've seen them several times. It was probably the best concert of theirs I had ever been to.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

So I finally got around to listening to Suburban Rhythm.

This is a rhetorical question thanks to Wikipedia but why did Ed and Scott quit? They were amazing! :smith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

On their last tour with Mustard Plug/Suburban Legends the show I was at they played more old stuff than I've ever heard them play, and I've seen them several times. It was probably the best concert of theirs I had ever been to.

The only way I could see LTJ play is if I had a written guarantee that they'd do Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore, Scott Farcas, and Johnny Quest
One of those is pretty easy to guarantee but I would require all three

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
While slightly related I got to see Dr Ring Ding, Monkey, and The Impalers(sans vocalist) at the Red Devil Lounge in SFO on Tuesday. loving awesome!

Ring ding has a few more shows in Northern California before he trips the Atlantic again; I'd highly recommend you check it out!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

The only way I could see LTJ play is if I had a written guarantee that they'd do Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore, Scott Farcas, and Johnny Quest
One of those is pretty easy to guarantee but I would require all three

I don't think I've been to a LTJ show (even a warped tour one) where they didn't play those three songs.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

While slightly related I got to see Dr Ring Ding, Monkey, and The Impalers(sans vocalist) at the Red Devil Lounge in SFO on Tuesday. loving awesome!

Ring ding has a few more shows in Northern California before he trips the Atlantic again; I'd highly recommend you check it out!

I would have seen Monkey and the Dr. when I was in Chicago but the show didn't start till 4 and my wife and I would not have gotten home till around midnight....we where kind of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Going to see Streetlight tomorrow night at the Venue of Scottsdale in Arizona, going to be really my first ska show and one of my first concerts in general (I'm new to the music scene for some reason), any recommendations or things I should prepare for? I'm excited.