Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.

Trent-Easton posted:

Is this confirmed? Are shares still available?
I'd be really sad if we lose this. I wouldnt buy half the crap I'm buying right now if sharing wasnt enabled.

As of right now the share system is still intact. Nothing has changed in that regard. It just seems like Sony is starting to cover their bases in case they decided to start cracking down on it (with the stuff about not giving out your details and whatnot). The 6 sub-account thing doesn't have anything to do with that I don't think. That's just for setting up sub-accounts on the same system.

Unless Fremry meant that a game could be downloaded on up to 6 different machines now. But that's different from the sub-accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teraad
Jun 18, 2004

Gangringo posted:

Currently the share is at $120, With myself and my friend taking up the first two slots, if all three people who join the share add a $10 and under game they just have to have, it should come to $30 apiece.

Are you still interested in doing this?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

japii posted:

As of right now the share system is still intact. Nothing has changed in that regard. It just seems like Sony is starting to cover their bases in case they decided to start cracking down on it (with the stuff about not giving out your details and whatnot). The 6 sub-account thing doesn't have anything to do with that I don't think. That's just for setting up sub-accounts on the same system.

Unless Fremry meant that a game could be downloaded on up to 6 different machines now. But that's different from the sub-accounts.

I'm going to assume he meant that you can share with 6 total instead of the previous 5. You can have like 16 or 20 or something accounts total on one machine. I might be completely wrong, though.

If they change it so shares no longer work, or the ones I've previously bought, I'm going to be fairly upset. If old ones no longer work, I will be upset, but if they just make it not work in the future, I'm going to severely limit what I buy.

I buy so many things that I'm not very interested in, or that I only play for an hour or two because my group wants it. For 3-5$ it's not a big deal, and it's cheaper entertainment per hour than anything aside from an MMO subscription. Oh well, heres to hoping they don't change it. It's just to cover their asses incase someone game shares, forgets to remove their credit card info, and gets like 200$ stolen from their CC.

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.

Shmoogy posted:

I'm going to assume he meant that you can share with 6 total instead of the previous 5. You can have like 16 or 20 or something accounts total on one machine. I might be completely wrong, though.

You can have 16 profiles on one machine, but that's not the same as Sub accounts. It's an option you select when you create a new PSN account. You can choose to make a Master, or a Sub account.

Sub accounts are essentially separate PSN accounts that can can buy stuff on the PSN using money from the wallet of the Master account. And the Master and Sub accounts of course share all their content. But I'm pretty sure you can only have Sub accounts on the same machine as the master.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

japii posted:

Sub accounts are essentially separate PSN accounts that can can buy stuff on the PSN using money from the wallet of the Master account. And the Master and Sub accounts of course share all their content. But I'm pretty sure you can only have Sub accounts on the same machine as the master.

Right, and previously it was 4. Meaning that when a game share was done, you could only have 5 people in it (1 master and 4 sub accounts). Now with 6 sub-accounts, game shares can be up to 7 people (1 master and 6 sub accounts).

Ezekiu
Oct 18, 2008

I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub, and you're not gonna reach my telephone.
Anyone want to start a Siren group for all the episodes?

Trent-Easton
Nov 24, 2005

How fascinating it is to watch the machinations of one´s own mind play themselves out.
Nothing here afterall

Trent-Easton fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 21, 2008

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.

Fremry posted:

Right, and previously it was 4. Meaning that when a game share was done, you could only have 5 people in it (1 master and 4 sub accounts). Now with 6 sub-accounts, game shares can be up to 7 people (1 master and 6 sub accounts).

I think you're still missing it. Sub accounts are not when someone on a different ps3 logs into someone else's PSN account in order to download their games (game sharing). Sub accounts are like limited PSN accounts that you set up on the same machine as the master PSN account. Like I said before, it's an option when you go to create a new PSN account. It's not related to game sharing.

But what I'm guessing you're saying is that instead of being able to activate 5 machines per PSN account, we can now activate 6, just to clear that up for everyone.

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
Oh man my first double post.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

japii posted:

I think you're still missing it. Sub accounts are not when someone on a different ps3 logs into someone else's PSN account in order to download their games (game sharing). Sub accounts are like limited PSN accounts that you set up on the same machine as the master PSN account. Like I said before, it's an option when you go to create a new PSN account. It's not related to game sharing.

But what I'm guessing you're saying is that instead of being able to activate 5 machines per PSN account, we can now activate 6, just to clear that up for everyone.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you have say Fremry (master account) and Fremry (sub account) on the same console. That makes no sense. The way I always thought it was (and the way I always thought I game shared) was to log in as a sub account to the main account of the person I was sharing with.

What's the point of sub accounts if it's the way you say it is?

Jamit
Jan 26, 2004
Bingo!

Trent-Easton posted:

If this is true, I'm looking for two people who'd be up for Rock Band songs sharings.
I've bought every DLC since about two months, so it would be great for people without any DLC.

This is a LONG TERM GROUP, or as long as Sony allows sharing (god please let it be).
Send me an email at ParisienVincent at hotmail.com and I will tell you how much you have to pay, and how it works basically.

Sent you an email filled with questions to check the details, but I'm interested!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fremry posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you have say Fremry (master account) and Fremry (sub account) on the same console. That makes no sense. The way I always thought it was (and the way I always thought I game shared) was to log in as a sub account to the main account of the person I was sharing with.

For different people in the same household to each have an account on the same machine.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jabro posted:

For different people in the same household to each have an account on the same machine.

Why wouldn't you just make new master accounts?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fremry posted:

Why wouldn't you just make new master accounts?

drat you and your logical questions. No clue.

Trent-Easton
Nov 24, 2005

How fascinating it is to watch the machinations of one´s own mind play themselves out.
So I can't share DLC with 6 other people right?
Dammit...

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man
I guess you could use sub accounts for your kids... Not sure what the exact details of that are.

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.

Fremry posted:

Hey don't ask me, I didn't make them, that's just the way it is.

quote:

AAAChampions wrote:
How do you create one?

There is an option to do so when you go to make an account, keep in mind you must have a master account on the system first.
D. Creating an Sub Account
Please note that some of the following steps may be skipped depending on the age of the user you are creating the sub account for. I personally created an account for a 17 year old, so some more steps may be included such as parental control settings. Please follow the on-screen instructions when this appears. Also, to create a sub account you must log in as a different user from when you logged in to create the master account. To create a new user scroll all the way to the left on the XMB over to "Users" and create one from there. You must also be signed into the new user to create a sub account.
Part One:
Select Sign Up for PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork under Friends (far right) in the XMB.
Select, "Yes, I want to create a new account."
Enter your country of residence, language, and date of birth.
Enter the sign-in ID and password for the master account that will be associated with the new sub account and press Continue.
Enter the sign-in ID, password, security question, and the answer to the security question and then press Continue. You can also choose whether you'd like the password to be remembered on sign-in. Be sure to write down your sign-in ID, password, and the security question and answer just in case you need to reference back to it later on.
Part Two:
Create an online ID that will be publically displayed in all games and then select Continue. Please think ahead and choose something you will like down the road because the online ID cannot be changed once entered.
Enter your first name and last name. You can also enter your gender here, but that is optional. After you are finished press Continue.
Enter your residential address. This includes your street address, city, state, and postal code, then press Continue.
A screen should be displayed where you can recieve notifications from SCE and its partners. Please select the box/es if you are interested in recieving information from any of them. This step is optional and can be skipped.
Another screen should appear with the information you have entered in the previous steps. Please review this information and when satisfied, select Confirm and a message should appear congratulating you on successfully creating a PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork account.
Select an avatar that will be displayed beside your handle when on the PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork. There are multiple pages of avatars and you can keep the default avatar if you'd like. At this time you can't use your own image as an avatar.
After this you should be able to log onto the PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork and enjoy all of the features!

It's basically so other people on the same system can have their own PSN accounts but pretty much anything related to the Store (downloads, wallet) are all accessible by the Sub accounts. If they just made their own Master PSN accounts they'd have to mange their own wallets and stuff.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

japii posted:

Hey don't ask me, I didn't make them, that's just the way it is.

It's basically so other people on the same system can have their own PSN accounts but pretty much anything related to the Store (downloads, wallet) are all accessible by the Sub accounts. If they just made their own Master PSN accounts they'd have to mange their own wallets and stuff.

That's really weird. I always thought that sub accounts are what we use for sharing. I stand corrected.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Fremry posted:

That's really weird. I always thought that sub accounts are what we use for sharing. I stand corrected.

Yea, the Sub-Accounts are just local extensions of your current account. They get different IDs and stuff, but allows you to share the wallet and stuff. It also allows whoever is the Master Account holder to place limitations on the Sub-accounts. Very well suited to managing accounts for a family or kids.

For Example: You could toss $20 in all of your kids accounts come Christmas.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sub accounts are accounts set up, (I believe) for people (most likely children) within the same house, to use for play (and to purchase) at their discretion, WITHOUT being able to add money to a wallet. Only the master account can add money that the master account and sub-accounts can all use. So basically, it's a monetary safeguard for your kids to be able to do only so much or as little as you allow them to, while still having their own logins.

I think...

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Is anyone up for the extra Mega man stuff?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TEHJOE posted:

Is anyone up for the extra Mega man stuff?

Dude, I know we're being cheap in this thread, but it's only a couple bucks.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Agreed, but its still a buck saved.

Though it may sound a bit sad but I find that buying and sharing the latest releases provides a slight feeling of companionship that modern gaming has lost along the way.

That being said I am have my doubts as to whether these packs can be shared.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TEHJOE posted:

Agreed, but its still a buck saved.

Though it may sound a bit sad but I find that buying and sharing the latest releases provides a slight feeling of companionship that modern gaming has lost along the way.

That being said I am have my doubts as to whether these packs can be shared.

I can hear the companionship part, but at the price point it's at, you'll be paying as much in paypal fees as you are for the expansion itself.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Bringing this back up for the newer PS3 owners who want a deal on the stuff everyone else seems to have already.

Want
Blast Factor and Add-ons
Gripshift
Last Guy
Pain add-ons
Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars
Super Stardust Bundle
Warhawk expansions
Wipeout HD

I either currently have or will be getting through another share Pain, PJ: Monsters, PJ: Eden, 1942, Siren, PuzzleQuest, Lingers in Shadows, Bomberman, and Fat Princess. I'd be willing to set up everything and run the PayPal side of things.

PM, reply, or email: kengrazier [at] gmail.com

Teraad
Jun 18, 2004

Kengi posted:

Bringing this back up for the newer PS3 owners who want a deal on the stuff everyone else seems to have already.

Want
Blast Factor and Add-ons
Gripshift
Last Guy
Super Stardust Bundle
Wipeout HD

I'd be interested in picking these up. I took out the ones I already have or can't use because I don't have the original game.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
I'm also looking for people to get the Buzz: Quiz TV expansions, if they would be share-able. I enjoy the game and would like to get the sci fi and video game ones. I'm either way on the National Geographic, cause I'd be horrible at the questions...

Ezekiu
Oct 18, 2008

I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub, and you're not gonna reach my telephone.
Anyone else interested in a Siren / Wipeout group?

PrinceXXX
May 7, 2004

Yogi Byron posted:

I'd definitely like Blood Sugar Sex Magik - it'd be nice if we could get 5 people so here's a start-up list:
Also, is anyone interested in the Boston pack and the other RHCP songs that have been released? I've barely bought any DLC songs so far and those are on the top of my list as well.
Consider me interested in RHCP, and probably most other things. I can paypal to buyer. contact me at princexxx at orbital.org.nz

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I'm interested in buying Prince of Persia Classic. Who's interested?

Robdog
Nov 6, 2002
I'm looking to get into a group to share the penny arcade game.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Kengi posted:

I'm also looking for people to get the Buzz: Quiz TV expansions, if they would be share-able. I enjoy the game and would like to get the sci fi and video game ones. I'm either way on the National Geographic, cause I'd be horrible at the questions...

I'm down to get the Buzz expansions if we can get 3 other people that are actually interested. I wouldn't mind getting all the expansions if we can split the total between 5 people.

All 4 quiz packs cost 25.96 making it 5.20 per person (before tax). Not a bad deal for over 2000 more questions to play with since each pack claims to include over 500 new questions each.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 24, 2008

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Yodzilla, SC4 share, Yoda DLC?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kengi posted:

Want
Blast Factor and Add-ons
Gripshift
Last Guy
Pain add-ons
Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty
Super Stardust Bundle
Warhawk expansions
Wipeout HD

I either currently have or will be getting through another share Pain, PJ: Monsters, PJ: Eden, 1942, Siren, PuzzleQuest, Lingers in Shadows, Bomberman, and Fat Princess. I'd be willing to set up everything and run the PayPal side of things.

PM, reply, or email: kengrazier [at] gmail.com
The only one I have on your list is Wipeout if you don't mind just getting one game out of it.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

gibbed posted:

I'd be in.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Robdog posted:

I'm looking to get into a group to share the penny arcade game.

I'll join in on this. Anyone else?

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The only one I have on your list is Wipeout if you don't mind just getting one game out of it.

You mean getting everything but Wipeout?

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm down to get the Buzz expansions if we can get 3 other people that are actually interested. I wouldn't mind getting all the expansions if we can split the total between 5 people.

All 4 quiz packs cost 25.96 making it 5.20 per person (before tax). Not a bad deal for over 2000 more questions to play with since each pack claims to include over 500 new questions each.

I'd be okay with this, cause out of the 4, I'm really after the Video game, Horror, and Scifi ones, since I'd suck out loud at the National Geographic one, but if we can get people for this, I'm all for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kengi posted:

You mean getting everything but Wipeout?

No I mean nothing but Wipeout :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

gibbed posted:

I'll update you guys when I get back from work tonight.

• Locked thread