Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Copied from the DJ Mixes thread cause I'm a dumbass

quote:

This might be explained a few times but I'd like to get into remixing songs/learning how to. Since it's something I want to dabble in and not sure if I really want to be devoted in, hardware wise I wouldn't mind investing around 100 dollars. Would that even get me anywhere? I already have some headphones and a PC + some speakers.

And I'd also like to get some books since none of my friends are into this and I know none of the terminology (like what is a kick? is that the beat or something?).

Help goons. Or point me to a site that is for newbies.

The OP is pretty drat good but it doesn't really list any hardware recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I'm chiming in with what I'm sure is yet another one of many vague, directionless questions in this thread, but I didn’t want to start a whole new topic over it…

Basically, I’ve been fooling around with the typical midi controller/Ableton/cheap mic box set up for a while now and I’m getting sick of it. I find that I can sit here and click little buttons and sliders with my mouse all day while cutting up samples & midi boxes on a grid to my heart’s content, but what I really need is something PHYSICAL I can grab a hold of. I went to my friend’s house who has an actual sampler, drum machine, synth etc. running through a giant rear end stack of effects racks and found myself making music much, much more intuitively on it. More than I ever have arranging a bunch of virtual poo poo on my computer screen at least. He still runs this all in to software of course, but my point is that I liked actually being able to PLAY and hit things during the writing and performance stage.

I realize he’s more than likely dropped thousands on this stuff and that’s why people usually stick to doing everything through software, but you’ve got to start somewhere right? I figure the place to start would be getting a decent sampler, then subsequently some effects racks (a delay, pitchshifter etc.) and a mixing board to run all of this through, since my audio box only has like 1 input anyway. Does this sound about right? If so, could someone point me in the way of some cheap hardware to get me going? I’m not above buying used/older equipment and in fact that’s always been my preferred method when it comes to finding gear, but I'm not sure where to start. Also, when it comes to effects is there any kind of advantage or disadvantage to getting actual racks as opposed to pedals?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cLin posted:

The OP is pretty drat good but it doesn't really list any hardware recommendations.

Wait till you know some software/have played around for a couple of weeks before buying hardware - then you'll know what you want from it. And when you get it, you'll be able to start using it properly much quicker.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Well in that case are there any websites or books you guys recommend for someone who hasn't dabbled in music? Something that starts from telling about terminology and proceeding from there?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

It was a trick I learned from MSTRKRFT. My drums have improved quadruple ever since I started doing it. What helps me is that I can CLEARLY see where the hi hats come in, the cowbell drops.. where the break happens.. etc. If it's just one track holding all that info I can't visually see any of that. All I see is a single bar. That visual aspect for me is key and it let's me be more creative and intuitive!

Plus I like to use alot of semi-complex routing when it comes to my drum tracks. I usually have a couple aux tracks dedicated to different eq's, reverbs and saturators. That's something I can't do with Drum Racks or EXS, even if every drum channel has a spot for separate effects.

Thanks for the EXS suggestion, I'll try it out.

Afaik you can aux the exs outs as well.

Also fair enough on the other point, I much prefer having all the programming in one lump, I find it easier to read that way

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

cLin posted:

Well in that case are there any websites or books you guys recommend for someone who hasn't dabbled in music? Something that starts from telling about terminology and proceeding from there?

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Manual-Second-techniques/dp/0240521072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224717795&sr=8-1

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cLin posted:

What software will you be using?

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
I'm thinking towards Ableton Live, going to try out their trial software first.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cLin posted:

There are links at the bottom of the OP.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Kai was taken posted:

Trance identified itself. It went from this experimental sound in the 90's, in the same soup as Eurodance and the 80's techno tracks, to something more tangible. It's the same thing that happens with other genres. They start out as this what the gently caress experimental poo poo, and then once ideas and concepts get pinned down, it stops branching out, and starts developing internally.

Im not really sure what you're getting at here, but I dont see anything that counters my previous statement. Also not quite sure what you mean by "developing internally".

House and many of its variations managed to move on and still keep some form of identity. Progressive is a good example, but then again, thats a genre i KNOW and have followed all these years so I pick up the nuances others might not. I suppose that would be the case here as well!(?)

quote:

I can say that When the Dawn Breaks doesn't follow the same base structure as trance did 10 years ago, but it's still trance.

House beat, house vocals, housey sing-along chorus and released on house('ish) label(s).

Anyway, we dont need for this awesome thread to spiral into a genre debate of doom do we!

So for some contribution, and since im too lazy to find the sketch thread I'll post one here, maybe you can help me label it. (not being sarcastic!)

Just the basic beat/bass with some pads and a metric fuckton of percussion. Got a "lead" im still debating wether or not its gonna fit. Also planning a chord sequence mixup somewhere along the line. Does it need a lead in the first place? Any objective tips greatly appreciated!

http://home.monet.no/~darkbeat/memo/kaitemprender-01.mp3

And since im such a nice guy I'll give you a track I finished a coupple of years ago, one of the first tracks I ACTUALLY finished ever. Dont think I've posted this before anywhere so world premier as well.

http://home.monet.no/~darkbeat/memo/kai.handberg_-_no_effort.mp3

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cLin posted:

Copied from the DJ Mixes thread cause I'm a dumbass
$100 won't get you poo poo if you have to start from rock bottom.

quote:

That's because there's an infinite amount of combinations possible.

For controllers it's really simple:
- what is your budget
- are you anally retentive about the feeling/quality of the keys
- do you need 88 weighted ones

For audio interfaces it's also really simple:
- what is your budget
- do you have a laptop
- if you do, does it have Firewire or USB
- what are your needs for inputs/outputs, do you want to record vocals, do you want to record guitars
- are you willing to pick something without sliders/faders/knobs (e.g. just a break-out box)
- if you don't have a laptop, is it a Mac or a PC
- if you have a Mac that's not a Mac Pro, assume you have a laptop
- rest of the questions are the same.

Budget, I/O, recording methods, platform. All drivers suck, all manufacturers suck, A/D converters are a certain kind of fetishism, you're going to get screwed with something regardless, but it's all better than ASIO4All.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Yoozer posted:

- what is your budget

- what is your budget
- do you have a laptop
- what are your needs for inputs/outputs, do you want to record vocals, do you want to record guitars
- are you willing to pick something without sliders/faders/knobs (e.g. just a break-out box)

Budget, I/O, recording methods, platform. All drivers suck, all manufacturers suck, A/D converters are a certain kind of fetishism, you're going to get screwed with something regardless, but it's all better than ASIO4All.

Lemme just add that when I bought my controller, i regretted not getting fully weighted keys immediately. that is all.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

Yoozer posted:

- what is your budget

- what is your budget
- do you have a laptop

drat. I think I'll start with reading that book recommended a few posts up. Seems to teach a lot of the basics and will hopefully help me on what I'll be needing as I progress along.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If you're using ableton, read every single tutorial that comes with it.

Yeah, some will seem too basic or irrelevant, but do them anyway. Just learn every technique it covers.
Once you've finished that you'll know your way around the program, know how to do a remix/edit, and know exactly what you want from a controller.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I Dig Gardening posted:

What do ya'll use to organize your drum samples in Logic/Pro Tools? I'm a diehard simpler in Live kinda guy, with seperated tracks for EVERY indivdual drum hit.. but now I'm attempting to learn Logic and quickly learning I don't know what the gently caress to do with drums once I've lost my precious Simpler and Impulse. I'm thinking about just straight up putting them all in as audio tracks.. but working with fills just sounds horrendous without MIDI.

And I really hate iDrum, Drumagog, all of that bullshit. I HAVE to have separated tracks for all of my drum parts. Anyone have a neat solution for this in Logic?

I'm a Logic 8 user. I built a template which launches every time I start a new project....it contains an instance of Kontakt 3 with several pre-assembled instruments.

I basically created one filled with 100+ kicks, one with 100+ claps, then ones with open hats, closed hats, snare hits, misc percussion etc. Each instrument is mapped to a separate midi channel and audio output. Within my template, in the arrangement window, I have individual midi tracks for each percussion part.

This works really well for me....it makes sequencing+mixing the drums really easy and, because it's all set out for me when I start a new project, it allows me to throw together some percussion nice and quickly.

Battery is really good, and far simpler than Kontakt, but I didn't find it handled huge numbers of samples quite as well. If you don't have Kontakt, then EXS24 will do just as good a job (providing you can decipher it's esoteric interface).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but, if not, then some of you might find it interesting....

http://www.sandervandoorn.com/#studiosessions

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Random question, but has anyone had issues with Logic 8 thinking that tracks are being soloed when there are none? I think it may happen when you delete a track that is currently soloed, but I'm not sure. In any case, just playing by default will act as if all the tracks are muted; you only hear them if you select to solo them. Annoying as hell.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

chemicalhero posted:

Random question, but has anyone had issues with Logic 8 thinking that tracks are being soloed when there are none? I think it may happen when you delete a track that is currently soloed, but I'm not sure. In any case, just playing by default will act as if all the tracks are muted; you only hear them if you select to solo them. Annoying as hell.

That sounds pretty messed, but I'd rummage through the preferences to make sure something wasn't selected wrongly or, if some convenience feature in the interface is being annoying.

In other news, can someone comment on the mixing for this track? Particularly the 808 kick I use later on, I'm not sure how I should mix it really. Don't want to hype it up too much, but I want it to be strong. I also need to fine tune the arrangement somewhat, but that's one of those things that comes with time for me:

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 8, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

What are touchpad like interfaces called? I'd like to use something like a touchpad to play some preset notes when I touch it, and use the x/y coords to shape the sound, ie. x controls amp and y controls filter amount or whatever. Any synths that would be particulary good for something like this? Any cheap/free ones?

Another thing I'd like to do is control which parameters are controlled by the x/y coords on the fly, via knobs I guess, but I don't really know how you'd do that.

I guess it can be done with Touchpad 2 Midi, but I don't have a laptop.

z3ta+ has an XY pad, I believe. And you should be able to use PeerCtrl ;)

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
They are being made by apple...

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is it okay to post mashups here, I've made a couple and I'm wondering what people would think of them, if it's okay to post them?

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Should be fine. If mixes and remixes are ok then I don't see why a mashup wouldn't be

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I just started out, I'm using Acid Pro 6, just the trial version to see if I'm any good at it.

This is my first real attempt at a mashup, some of the transitions are a bit poo poo, but after listening to it 1000 times my judgement is hosed.

This one I created quickly for this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987739

I actually think in some ways its better then the first one.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Are there any good, preferably video, resources for Ableton Live. I'm having issues cutting songs up and getting samples to mesh. I got a basic understanding of how the program works, but just kinda need a push. If I can see something done most of the time i can go from there.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I found the Ask Video DVD tutorials helpful. They have a few scenes you can watch for free over on their website to see if it's your style. I'm not sure if the DVD has been updated for Live 7 yet.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Splinter posted:

I found the Ask Video DVD tutorials helpful. They have a few scenes you can watch for free over on their website to see if it's your style. I'm not sure if the DVD has been updated for Live 7 yet.

Yeah, it looks like it's for live 6.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Here are some dubsteppy tracks:

I'm really not sure how to figure out the bass in this one. How do people usually mix this stuff when you're working with almost pure sub-bass with very little harmonics? The speakers I mixed this on apparently bottom out at about 45hz, which I thought was pretty normal amongst most speakers/monitors, but on the other hand, I recently realized that these speakers actually completely miss out on the sub-bass in certain other dubstep tunes, if it gets low enough. Is this what subwoofer monitors are for? How can you be sure of anything when dealing with that frequency range?

The main thing I'm worried about in this one are the drums. I feel like they kind of lose the forward momentum sometimes. I've actually been sitting on this one for a while now, so I'm not too sure about the mix anymore either.

I dunno, if anybody has any other general mixing critiques to make about either tune, I'd love to hear them. I really wish I had some proper monitors, I feel like I can never be sure of anything with the stuff I usually mix on.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Re: x/y MIDI controllers - you could try using a Wacom tablet. The MIDITab software available here can help facilitate this process, or if you have the technical facility to do so by all means go hog wild in Max/MSP.

breaks
May 12, 2001

You could relatively easily rig something up in Max/Reaktor/what-have-you to do what was described with any x/y pad that sends z / touched-or-not info.

If not you could probably still figure something out based on how far away the newest values are from the old one, especially if the pad can reset to neutral values when not touched...

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Just wondering if you gentlemen could review a tune of mine

wondering how the mix sounds and if perhaps its to loud? or maybe the mids are a bit to piercing, its hard for me to tell after a while and my roommate suggested i posted it up. im thinking of sampling some distorted guitar riffs and throwing them in there, but im not sure yet. criticisms please! thanks.

edit: and if anyone wants my ableton set for this song just let me know.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm listening to it and it sounds very cool and I'm very much interested in the Ableton set so I can study it. Novocaine520 @ gmail.com

I need help recreating some drum patterns. Like something from this song. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eo2aOEhlqfQ

I really like that kick/snare kick/snare kick/snare thing they've got going how can I re-create this sound in Ableton? What kind of effect gives that extra kick? Are they using some delay in there or doubling up? I think I've heard some other songs use it as well http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nkN-AC_JiIU

In addition although I play keys and guitar I don't know anything about drumming so some reference on how they get the other fills would be really awesome. To learn how to use this program I'm trying to recreate some drum tracks and I've no idea where to start because I know so little about drumming in general :(

Adrenochrome fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 26, 2008

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DoctorJones posted:

Yeah, it looks like it's for live 6.
Most of it should still be relevant since version 7 didn't really change how Live works.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Splinter posted:

Most of it should still be relevant since version 7 didn't really change how Live works.

Live 6 and 7 are fundamentally the same, the main differences are things like new effects and instruments, and a few of the old devices have a new look (EQ, compressor).

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Kai was taken posted:

Live 6 and 7 are fundamentally the same, the main differences are things like new effects and instruments, and a few of the old devices have a new look (EQ, compressor).

Plus sidechaining works in 7 right?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

IanTheM posted:

Yes.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IanTheM posted:

The comp, gate and auto filter have side chains in 7. None of the devices in 6 had side chains (besides a very limited EQ side chain on one of the comps), but 3rd party plug-ins with side chains worked fine.

edit: i'm slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Splinter posted:

The comp, gate and auto filter have side chains in 7. None of the devices in 6 had side chains (besides a very limited EQ side chain on one of the comps), but 3rd party plug-ins with side chains worked fine.

edit: i'm slow

what does side chaining the filter do? or do you know a good way to use it? i cant really figure out the sidechaining on the filter.

• Locked thread