Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

guppy posted:

Are you thinking of In With The Out Crowd? Because if so, are you aware that they released the far superior GNV FLA a little while back?

I'm fond of Mustard Plug too; I'd swap in Pray For Mojo over In Black And White, personally. I love Evildoers Beware!, of course.

I feel like Evildoers Beware! is a much stronger album than Pray for Mojo. I'd be hard pressed to say why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

mix.lunar posted:

I used to listen to FIF but I hated the direction they moved in after the first record.

FIF is one of those bands where they have some really, really good songs, but aside from that it's not much worth talking about.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I feel like Evildoers Beware! is a much stronger album than Pray for Mojo. I'd be hard pressed to say why though.

Box. Suburban Homesick Blues. Sadie May. Fuckin' Beer (song).
How's that for reasons?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Box. Suburban Homesick Blues. Sadie May. Fuckin' Beer (song).
How's that for reasons?
"You" and "Jerry" are awesome too, they're my favorites from that album.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
More than Beer (song)? For shame sir. For shame.
Never Be is pretty rad too

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

No love for Mendoza?! You people sicken me.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Thornes posted:

No love for Mendoza?! You people sicken me.

Mendoza, Sadie May, Never Be, Beer.. All great songs!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think the point is that that's a loving amazing album.
Anyway. Went to Devil's Night Out, saw a bunch of locals that I'll link to when I'm not exhausted. Got The Action to play one of my favorite songs because they think I'm in 4point0. Holy poo poo the whole show was good. The first hour and a half was a bloodbath, with circle pits going through what amounts to a living room full of people.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I am pumped for RBF and Streetlight coming to NYC in January. I also like the idea of an RBF cover album because they pretty much do the best covers ever. They're the only band I can think of that when they do a cover, it's almost as good, if not better than, the original. Their version of Hungry Like The Wolf rocks my socks off every time.

The show I'm a little more pumped to see, only because I view it as more of a "might not get another chance" deal instead of a "oh man this concert is going to blow my mind" thing:

In case anyone wasn't aware THE MOTHERFUCKING AQUABATS are coming to BB King's, down the block from Times Square, on November 20th. Any New Yorkers who missed them when they came a while back (me :(), here's that chance you never thought was going to come again. Oh man, I can not wait.

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around

Liar!

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Obama Yo Mama posted:

In case anyone wasn't aware THE MOTHERFUCKING AQUABATS are coming to BB King's, down the block from Times Square, on November 20th. Any New Yorkers who missed them when they came a while back (me :(), here's that chance you never thought was going to come again. Oh man, I can not wait.

Oh, the Aquabats. Being from Southern California, I've seen them more times than I can really recall, but I never get tired of them. Every show is the most fun show you've ever been to, every song is the best dance party ever. One simply cannot get enough of the Aquabats. It's a shame they don't tour as much as they used to, everyone needs a good dosage of them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think I'm the only one that doesn't like the Aquabats. Something about them just grates on me.
Local band plug time. http://myspace.com/endive and http://myspace.com/bandtheaction Saw both of these bands play on Saturday, and they were both great. Endive did amazing covers of Thriller and the Ghostbusters song, and The Action is always good, just ask Josh Wow.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sweet. Got tickets to two Hometown Throwdown shows, not to mention the new year's show (which is also my 21st birthday)

AWESOME.

Anybody going to Skalloween or Skanksgiving?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm going to the Skanksgiving in Massachusetts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm... Philly isn't that far....

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I am pumped for RBF and Streetlight coming to NYC in January.

Why do they have to be weeknight shows? Has no one told these bands you're only supposed to play NYC on Friday/Saturday nights? :argh:

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

I'm debating whether to go to the Skanksgiving at Starland Ballroom, the Aquabats/Suburban Legends show in Hackensack the week before, and/or the Streetlight/RBF show in Montclair in January.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Goddamnit The Fad broke up. I haven't seen them in forever due to their van getting all destroyed and then not touring and we were gonna play a show with them in a loving month but instead I get to never see them again. Everybody needs to go pick up Kill Punk Rock Stars, their last album. It is awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Goddamnit The Fad broke up. I haven't seen them in forever due to their van getting all destroyed and then not touring and we were gonna play a show with them in a loving month but instead I get to never see them again. Everybody needs to go pick up Kill Punk Rock Stars, their last album. It is awesome.

Is it up on Community Records?
The only band on there I'm irked that I didn't see when I could is Fatter Than Albert. They played a show with 4point0 this summer and I took off early, like after the second band, so I could go see about a girl.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Is it up on Community Records?
The only band on there I'm irked that I didn't see when I could is Fatter Than Albert. They played a show with 4point0 this summer and I took off early, like after the second band, so I could go see about a girl.

I doubt it, they released it on Bankshot records and usually record labels get kinda pissy if you just give away an album. It's totally worth the $10 to buy it though. Also Fatter Than Albert is about to go on a hiatus pretty soon cause their guitarist is leaving, so if they play a show near you go because you might not get a chance to see them again anytime soon. I know they're doing a Florida tour in late December because they're doing it pretty much the exact same days we're doing our tour but we're trying to hit different cities on different days so it's been a bitch getting anything booked. I believe they're doing a short midwest tour as well in January.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
I'm so bummed that I never got to see The Fad. "Leaving Cleveland" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

I doubt it, they released it on Bankshot records and usually record labels get kinda pissy if you just give away an album. It's totally worth the $10 to buy it though. Also Fatter Than Albert is about to go on a hiatus pretty soon cause their guitarist is leaving, so if they play a show near you go because you might not get a chance to see them again anytime soon. I know they're doing a Florida tour in late December because they're doing it pretty much the exact same days we're doing our tour but we're trying to hit different cities on different days so it's been a bitch getting anything booked. I believe they're doing a short midwest tour as well in January.

They're not doing anything in NY. I checked Kingston Beats' site not long ago, and I asked Ska Danny about it (dude who owns Kingston Beats).

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

They're not doing anything in NY. I checked Kingston Beats' site not long ago, and I asked Ska Danny about it (dude who owns Kingston Beats).

Are you talking about Fatter than Albert? I'd hope they weren't doing anything in NY for their midwest tour since NY isn't particularly close to the midwest :) Also Ska Danny is an awesome dude.

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

That sucks about the Fad, they were a really good band. I saw them last year at a church in New Jersey. It was one of the few shows that wasn't canceled due to their van flipping. They played Vinyl Paradise twice for some reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Are you talking about Fatter than Albert? I'd hope they weren't doing anything in NY for their midwest tour since NY isn't particularly close to the midwest :) Also Ska Danny is an awesome dude.

Nobody's doing anything in NY that I've heard about or care about except for the Toasters playing in Syracuse in two weeks.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm wicked excited for my band's singer's other band. He goes to school in Tennesee and has a ska band down there as well as up here an apparently they're opening for the Toasters in Nashville.

http://www.myspace.com/thenovaray is his other band. I'm stoked. I wish I could be there to see them.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Nobody's doing anything in NY that I've heard about or care about except for the Toasters playing in Syracuse in two weeks.

Two of the Fads final shows are in NY! One in Amityville and one in Bethpage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Two of the Fads final shows are in NY! One in Amityville and one in Bethpage.

Not my part of NY, though. Syracuse and its 'burbs are the limit of my shows. And the Toasters beat the Fad any day, anyway.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

The new fish album should come as a double CD, the second CD being all the different versions of SR, fleshed out into full songs. Similar to Mindless Self Indulgence's Straight to Video cd.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://www.myspace.com/thenovaray is his other band. I'm stoked. I wish I could be there to see them.
I'm not a fan of their old material but their latest demo track is pretty solid. Horn line reminds me of Buford O'Sullivan's solo output.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Fors Yard suggested that I should ask here.

I posted a thread on the Post Your Favorite (or Request) board asking for help trying to find a ska song.

ears ago when Mtv was slowly removing the music videos from their network they had a show called 12 Angry Viewers. On said show 12 "viewer" rated a bunch of videos to see what ones would be played on Mtv.

One time a ska song won for a day, a song that I never saw or heard of ever again.

From what I remember of the song the title or a part of the song was something like

"Give me just one night, try to make things right, make things right with you!"

I tried looking on youtube but it keeps showing that stupid teen boy group song "Give me Just one night (some Spanish words here)" crap.

Google is no help with any kind of winners list for the show... it will give me 8 different videos of the Russian version where they I guess boo Tatu.

I kinda remember the video the band was doing the whole 2 tone army/nice looking suits kind of thing.

I want to say the video was out in about summer of 97 or 98.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. And gently caress the rude boys Ska is the greatest!!!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Viewers

No ska bands on there but it has a list of all the winning videos.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Try going to http://plyrics.com and searching for the lyrics.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
I remember this show, I was about 11 at the time and I vividly remember Reel Big Fish's "She Has A Girlfriend Now" advancing but ultimately losing out to some Erika Badu song. I can't remember any other ska songs on that show though.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Josh Wow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Viewers

No ska bands on there but it has a list of all the winning videos.

Tried that first. Those were the videos that won the week. Even then the show was on for 2 years so there were other winners.

Dear Sergio posted:

I remember this show, I was about 11 at the time and I vividly remember Reel Big Fish's "She Has A Girlfriend Now" advancing but ultimately losing out to some Erika Badu song. I can't remember any other ska songs on that show though.

They had several ska songs on, mainly by bands that havent made it big yet. The song Im looking for won for like one day then most likely lost to some lovely boy band.

EDITED POST SINCE I SEEM TO OFFEND GUPPY AND HIS TASTE OF BOY BAND MUSIC

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 3, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BooDoug187 posted:

They had several ska songs on, mainly by bands that havent made it big yet. The song Im looking for won for like one day then most likely lost to some faggy boy band poo poo.
I know this is SA and all, but that's a pretty lovely thing to say in a thread about something with as strong a record of anti-discrimination politics as ska.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I know this is SA and all, but that's a pretty lovely thing to say in a thread about something with as strong a record of anti-discrimination politics as ska.

Be fair, that boy band poo poo was gay as hell. I mean I was like the perfect age when that poo poo was popular and I still thought it was gay as hell.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Be fair, that boy band poo poo was gay as hell. I mean I was like the perfect age when that poo poo was popular and I still thought it was gay as hell.
I... think you're missing the point.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I get the point.
I just still insist that you are well within your rights to say that boy band poo poo was gay

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Awww it's ok. My sister liked N'Sync too. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who was it that asked when my friends' band was coming out with a full album?
I just found out last night that the first full album will be coming out this summer, sometime.
For the people with goldfish memories that would be http://myspace.com/4point0ny
EDIT Holy poo poo. It has just been brought to my attention that they're going to be opening for the Toasters next Friday.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 3, 2008