Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
A guy I work with has an 89 CBR600 that he is trying to get rid of. He originally wanted $750 but he'll take $500. I am pretty sure it was downed at one point, the fairings have been rattle can spray painted (horribly he said) and it hasn't been ridden in probably 5-6 years. He told me he took care of it well when he did ride it, and it was running when he put it away, it just won't start now (carbs I would guess)

I'm thinking of picking it up after I take a look at it, I'd like to make sure there isn't much damage to the fairings and such. Although, if I do get it I'll probably go for the streetfighter look and spend a year rebuilding everything and bringing it up to snuff. So I am looking at this as a project bike.

I've only been riding for a few months now and I'm not ready to jump up to the bigger bike yet, but after another season on the 250 I think I'll be ready.

So, this sound like a good deal? $500 for a non-starting 89 CBR600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

shaitan posted:

A guy I work with has an 89 CBR600 that he is trying to get rid of. He originally wanted $750 but he'll take $500. I am pretty sure it was downed at one point, the fairings have been rattle can spray painted (horribly he said) and it hasn't been ridden in probably 5-6 years. He told me he took care of it well when he did ride it, and it was running when he put it away, it just won't start now (carbs I would guess)

I'm thinking of picking it up after I take a look at it, I'd like to make sure there isn't much damage to the fairings and such. Although, if I do get it I'll probably go for the streetfighter look and spend a year rebuilding everything and bringing it up to snuff. So I am looking at this as a project bike.

I've only been riding for a few months now and I'm not ready to jump up to the bigger bike yet, but after another season on the 250 I think I'll be ready.

i think free would be a better price, if its been laid up without proper prep for 5-6 years you'll probably have a lot of really small annoying things to do to get it running. carbs, rotted orings and seals, tyres, brakes....

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

shaitan posted:

Those old Hurricanes are cool as poo poo. A ratty one isn't worth a whole lot of money though. Trying to find good plastics is going to be a nightmare and expensive on top of everything else that goes with a 20 year old multiple owner sportbike that's been put up wet 5 years ago.

I'd look at it, but don't expect to be able to hop on and ride any time soon. Early sportbike ownership is kind of like classic bike ownership. It's cool, but you go into it because you like those types of bike in particular. You understand that it's not without it's troubles be they maintenance, parts availability or prior abuse.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Bugdrvr posted:

Those old Hurricanes are cool as poo poo. A ratty one isn't worth a whole lot of money though. Trying to find good plastics is going to be a nightmare and expensive on top of everything else that goes with a 20 year old multiple owner sportbike that's been put up wet 5 years ago.

I'd look at it, but don't expect to be able to hop on and ride any time soon. Early sportbike ownership is kind of like classic bike ownership. It's cool, but you go into it because you like those types of bike in particular. You understand that it's not without it's troubles be they maintenance, parts availability or prior abuse.

Yeah, since I'd probably just end up removing the fairings I was figuring I could just sell them for a pretty penny alone. From what I understand the plastic is ok, just the paint job is ultra lovely.

I'm quite aware that getting the bike is just the first part, getting it running well is a whole other story. But like I said, I am looking at it as a project and I am not planning on reall riding it for what could be a whole year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What is the registration like on it?

Depending on your state, if it was put away 5-6 years ago, you could owe as much as 600$ in back fees the second that you try and register it.

Look, let me break the costs down, as someone who has done this before:

500$ for the bike.
300$ for new tires
150$ for new chain and sprocket
150$ in oil, bearings, filters, brake fluid, caliper/MC rebuild kits
100$ in replacement for broken parts. (say, someone bashed a rotor)
100$ in carb kits to replace broken/destroyed orings, floats, and needles
50$ in stuff to reline the tank, or purchase a new lovely one if it's rusted.
20$ in fuel lines to replace the stuff that's rotted away
20$ in lights
100-600$ in registration, tax, license fees.

So, you've spent 1400$ on a 1000$ bike. That's if EVERYTHING works, first time through, there's no back registration, and you don't have any electrical gremlins, if mice haven't decided to make nests out of the wiring harness, and the bike is essentially perfect besides that. Now, let's say that because he didn't store it correctly, it's burning oil and the rings are hosed. You're 1400$ into a 500$ bike, with a busted engine. :suicide:

I mean, best case scenerio, yeah, you have a running bike that goes for an indeterminate amount of time. But I wouldn't touch that bike with a 10 foot pole unless it was free.

Plastics on an old bike that have a lovely paintjob will sell for a minimal amount of money, so don't count on that as a significant way of making money back on the bike.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 24, 2008

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm in NYS, I am pretty sure you don't need to pay for back registration on it (states really make you do that? that's some B.S.)

Good enough answer for me though, thanks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

shaitan posted:

I'm in NYS, I am pretty sure you don't need to pay for back registration on it (states really make you do that? that's some B.S.)

Do not remove the plastic. It just makes it more vulnrable, and ugly. If the plastic is in decent shape, keep it, repaint it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

shaitan posted:

I'm kinda curious about that as well.
When I got my 350 running and registered (in PA) it was just a matter of getting insurance and a plate. No matter that it sat in a garage for over 25 years prior.

How does back registration work in CA? If I pull a bike out of a barn after it sat for 20 years do I have to pay 20 years worth of back registration on the thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bugdrvr posted:

I'm kinda curious about that as well.
When I got my 350 running and registered (in PA) it was just a matter of getting insurance and a plate. No matter that it sat in a garage for over 25 years prior.

How does back registration work in CA? If I pull a bike out of a barn after it sat for 20 years do I have to pay 20 years worth of back registration on the thing?

7 years. If a bike isn't registered for 7 years, it drops from the system, and then it's registered with no back fees as if it was new. You provide proof of ownership, via a title, bill of sale, whatever, and register for the normal fees.

If you get something that has been registered within the last 7 years, you pay registration for each year that was unpaid plus a penalty, which is a % of the overall fee. I'm pretty sure that at the top end, you're looking at around 200% of the initial cost, so your 50$ registration is now a 100$ registration. But, IIRC, that only applies to the first year, so you're looking at 100$ for the first year and then 50$ for each year after that. Also, you pay a use tax based off of the purchase price of the vehicle, and if it's an out of state (ie, no california emissions) bike with under 7500 miles on it, regardless of age, you cannot register it at all!

I bet you're glad you asked now! :v:

My friend re-registered a 1975 CB200 that he got out of a dumpster: 400$. loving cali RAPES you on anything that wasn't properly registered.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/886091261.html

Any possible issues with this bike? I went today and test rode it. The clutch had to be let out way further than I'm used to, but maybe that's just different for dual sport compared to road bikes? Or can it just be adjusted?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lawn posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/886091261.html

Any possible issues with this bike? I went today and test rode it. The clutch had to be let out way further than I'm used to, but maybe that's just different for dual sport compared to road bikes? Or can it just be adjusted?

The clutch engagement point can be adjusted. I'd be wary, on a bike that old, of seals being rotted out and parts needing replacement due to age. Hopefully, if it was just serviced, everything should be good, but you don't know what that service entailed. Also check the date codes on the tires to make sure that you won't instantly be replacing them.

The premium for offroad bikes with a plate in cali is insane :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

assrape fees

I'm ever so glad my state (UT) doesn't do this either. When I registered my bike I think it cost me all of about $45, including taxes. Plus we don't have to smog motorcycles. I think you can also retitle with just a bill of sale.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I'm ever so glad my state (UT) doesn't do this either. When I registered my bike I think it cost me all of about $45, including taxes. Plus we don't have to smog motorcycles. I think you can also retitle with just a bill of sale.

I want a streeted dual sport with 17s that's relatively cheap so bad, but it will NEVER happen in cali because of the absolute rape status of the loving DMV.

And they won't give me a race transportation permit for my trackbike, despite me printing out the relevant CA transportation codes. :argh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
You need permission to transport your race bike, or do you actually plan to ride it to the track? :confused:

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
I've come across a 1981 Suzuki GSX 250

Holy poo poo I fell in love - it's gorgeous!

The bike has been sitting for 2.5 years -unsure if it's been stored wet or dry (I'm waiting on some answers from the owner) or if any preventative thought went in to the storage.. I'm doubting it.

The reason I'm looking is that I'd like to find a cheap japanese bike to learn on as I'm going and this thing looks far too gorgeous NOT to restore it. I understand that it's probably going to be a bit of a sink by the time I find every little niggling thing that could be wrong with it, but I'm less worried about the cash and more worried about a good learning experience and an old, attractive, small capacity bike to run errands on some time in the future.

I might, if I'm lucky, be able to pick it up for 3-400 (I'm in Australia). Anybody got any huge 'don't even think about it' type information for me that I should worry about?

edit: by learn on I mean learning more about working on bikes

the letter b fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 27, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the letter b posted:

I've come across a 1981 Suzuki GSX 250

Who the hell cares how it was stored. Nothing of it sitting outside could hurt it enough to make it unfixable. If you can afford it, get it. It's an 8 valve twin. Probably on the order of 25hp. 6 speed transmission. And it's got all the body work and looks good. Anything mechanical that's wrong... is fixable. Easily. Once again, to be clear, snatch that thing up. If you ever think it's to slow, there's an upgrade path with the GSX450 motor.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Who the hell cares how it was stored. Nothing of it sitting outside could hurt it enough to make it unfixable. If you can afford it, get it. It's an 8 valve twin. Probably on the order of 25hp. 6 speed transmission. And it's got all the body work and looks good. Anything mechanical that's wrong... is fixable. Easily. Once again, to be clear, snatch that thing up. If you ever think it's to slow, there's an upgrade path with the GSX450 motor.

Thanks - based on that and a few other people I've been talking to I've made an offer, so we'll see how it goes.

Just to clarify, by learn on I mean learn about working on bikes.. I'd like something that I can gently caress up that won't cause me to lose my primary mode of transport while I fix it. I figure cheap and Japanese is the way to go based on parts being cheaper and more plentiful here.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the letter b posted:

Just to clarify, by learn on I mean learn about working on bikes.. I'd like something that I can gently caress up that won't cause me to lose my primary mode of transport while I fix it. I figure cheap and Japanese is the way to go based on parts being cheaper and more plentiful here.
If you want something to fix... a GS/GSX isn't the way to go. They don't break much. :-) 99% chance that this bike needs a carb cleaning, and it will run like a champ.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Nerobro posted:

If you want something to fix... a GS/GSX isn't the way to go. They don't break much. :-) 99% chance that this bike needs a carb cleaning, and it will run like a champ.

I guess to clarify again - I'll probably be pulling it down for the sake of putting it together :).

Good news anyway I suppose, the lady can take it out for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

I want a streeted dual sport with 17s that's relatively cheap so bad, but it will NEVER happen in cali because of the absolute rape status of the loving DMV.

And they won't give me a race transportation permit for my trackbike, despite me printing out the relevant CA transportation codes. :argh:

I'm beginning to think I should offer goons a registry service, getting them a title and whatnot here so they can ride hott bieks wherever they may be without dealing with all their local bullshit. poo poo, I live 1.5 blocks from the DMV, I could walk down there.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Not entirely sure what registration is in the States, but I laugh at car owners over here, 15 pounds a year for road tax is one of the largest selling points of a motorbike. Even with the increased cost of insurance (drat you insurance company, drat you for not caring if I worked hard to get my full license), with road tax for most cars being in the 200 pound region, it's really brilliant to watch their faces when I burst their little bubbles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

You need permission to transport your race bike, or do you actually plan to ride it to the track? :confused:

Technically, you need a permit to transport any motorcycle that you own on public highways, regardless of what the use is. So when I toss my trackbike in the back of the truck, I'm supposed to have the appropriate documentation for it. A PNO (Planned Non-Operation) is what most people do, and that's not the correct form, because PNO bikes aren't supposed to be transported off of the place that they are stored. Also, PNOs or keeping the registration current requires a yearly fee, which is...well, bullshit.

A race transportation permit allows you to transport racebikes to and from the track for a one time fee of 15$, for as long as you own the bike. So it's cheaper, I don't have to renew it every year, and it's the legal solution to my problem. The problem is: The loving DMV doesn't know what it is. They're used so rarely (everyone else just non-ops and eats the fees and breaks the law, because the CHP/Local Police don't know the laws either). I could keep the registration current, but in order to keep it legit, I need to have insurance or they suspend the registration, making it pointless again. :argh:

I found the form online, though, so I'm just going to bring it in, completed, and watch their heads explode as they try to find the sticker that I need.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I'm beginning to think I should offer goons a registry service, getting them a title and whatnot here so they can ride hott bieks wherever they may be without dealing with all their local bullshit. poo poo, I live 1.5 blocks from the DMV, I could walk down there.

I wish. I want a real SM bike so bad. Questionably street legal, 250 pounds, 40hp of 2 or 4 stroke street death. I also hate the brain dead morons at the local DMV.

Orange Someone posted:

Not entirely sure what registration is in the States, but I laugh at car owners over here, 15 pounds a year for road tax is one of the largest selling points of a motorbike. Even with the increased cost of insurance (drat you insurance company, drat you for not caring if I worked hard to get my full license), with road tax for most cars being in the 200 pound region, it's really brilliant to watch their faces when I burst their little bubbles.

Registration is cheaper on bikes here. Not that much cheaper, but a little cheaper.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 27, 2008

Reagan Youth
Jul 15, 2008

We are the sons of Reagan ...Heil!
Gonna kill us some pagans ...Heil!
hi all!

any recommendations for a completely new rider looking to commute in NYC? I believe dirt bikes aren`t street legal here, so that`s out...I`m looking to commute about 150 blocks to school, and i was wondering if anyong had any advice as to feasibility/specific recs. My budget would be about 3400 for the bike itself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ninja 250 or a small, good condition scoot. You won't want anything bigger because it's just going to be a handful in traffic. The ninja 250 is at it's prime in street level commuting. You should be able to find a cheap one, and your budget will cover safety courses, full gear, and insurance. I started with almost exactly the same budget, bought my 250 for 1800$, my gear for 1200$, and 300$ for the safety course/insurance.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 24, 2020

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-REDUCED-RARE-1993-SUZUKI-BANDIT-W0QQAdIdZ83437938

Tell me about looking at a Japanese imported bike.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

The Virago is officially up for sale now. Kathy is asking $1000 for it. It is a V-twin 535 cc. We know it needs the two carb boots because they have cracks in them. Beyond that, it just needs some TLC from sitting for a few months. Probably will need a new battery. It has the good cryo spark plugs in it (https://www.frozenhorsepower.com). It is shaft drive, custom pinstriping, and has a windshield. Very low seat height, great starter bike.

If anybody wants to look at it, let me know. It is sitting in my garage. I will put the battery charger on it and see if the battery will hold a charge or not.

Here is a picture of Kathy on the Virago when we were in Ruidoso a couple of years ago.

http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/virago.jpg

Thoughts for a first time buyer?

Reagan Youth
Jul 15, 2008

We are the sons of Reagan ...Heil!
Gonna kill us some pagans ...Heil!

Z3n posted:

Ninja 250 or a small, good condition scoot. You won't want anything bigger because it's just going to be a handful in traffic. The ninja 250 is at it's prime in street level commuting. You should be able to find a cheap one, and your budget will cover safety courses, full gear, and insurance. I started with almost exactly the same budget, bought my 250 for 1800$, my gear for 1200$, and 300$ for the safety course/insurance.

could i take this on the highway for day-trips (e.g. Boston, Philly, DC)

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
A Ninja 250 can easily handle the highway. If you go with a scooter, it depends on the size.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

Thoughts for a first time buyer?

Check the buyers guide:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

That'll cover everything. Count on some work to get it back up to running well. Good if you're mechanically inclined.

Reagan Youth posted:

could i take this on the highway for day-trips (e.g. Boston, Philly, DC)

Yup. If in good condition, it should have plenty of go for the highways. It tops out at a little over 100mph. The downside is that it'll be vibey and you'll have to adjust to an engine running 8k for hours at a time. But they will do just fine. I did san diego to San Francisco on mine.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Hey Cycle Asylum, I'm taking the MSF class this weekend and want/need to get a bike shortly thereafter. Looking at this as an option for my first bike:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/894155252.html

Sure it's a 600 but the price is spot on for a "starter" bike and if I'm going to be moving up to this size anyway I think it'd be fine to learn on. Or, can you please comment on the price itself, never mind if it's a good beginner bike or not please. thanks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
600cc i4 sport bike. most people here are gonna tell you no.

edit: 100hp. that's a lot.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you get that bike, I promise you will absolutely love it.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

600cc i4 sport bike. most people here are gonna tell you no.
edit: 100hp. that's a lot.

Yeah like I said I know most people would say a 600cc is not a beginner bike, but for the price it's hard to pass up, considering a lot of beginner bikes could be had for more.

MrKatharsis posted:

If you get that bike, I promise you will absolutely love it.

Cool, how so? Do you have one? Anything I should be looking out for? From what I've read this bike put Honda on the sportbike map.

Other things, is the mileage just too much for a bike? Because of how old it is (94) will I run into needing to replace a ton of parts?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't have that particular bike, but I do have a 100hp sportbike, and it's an incredible amount of fun. If you have a soul, you will think so too.

Honda's motorcycles have a similar reputation for reliability and longetivity as their cars.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Z3n posted:

Technically, you need a permit to transport any motorcycle that you own on public highways, regardless of what the use is.

:monocle:

That's... really loving wierd. How does one go about transporting a bike they just purchased, then? Up here, as long as the bike isn't actually driving on the road, the cops just consider it part of a vehicle's cargo, and there's certainly no requirement to register it. That's loving retarded.

Wormy Guy: You're the exact same way that every other goddamn newbie getting into this is - you see something for a (to you) ridiculously good price, with everything you think you could ever want/need, and you get your mind set on it. NOTHING that anyone says to you, regardless of how much experience they have, with exactly the same situation, will dissuade you from your desire need to buy this. Anybody that voices the slightest agreement that it would not be the worst choice in the world, will get twisted to mean "gently caress YES BUY THIS BIEK RIGHT NOW."

All I'm saying is, I had a friend this summer, who approached me to help find him his first bike. I suggested many good starter bikes, at fair prices, and everything I went to look at with him (barring 600cc sport bikes), he shot down since he already had his mind made up. So, despite everything I could and did say to him, he still bought pretty much the same bike that you posted, right down to the dubious black paintwork (used to hide crash damage without actually rectifying it). He lowsided it at least 3 times within a month of owning it, and at the end of the summer, he was still far less confident riding (and slower) than another friend that started at the same time on an old UJM.

:facepalm:

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

MrKatharsis posted:

If you have a soul, you will think so too.

This is just all sorts of stupid advice. It's his first bike. From the sound of it he has extremely little to no riding experience. Most of all, you / we have absolutely no idea of what sort of control he has. OF COURSE he'll think it's fun. That is, until he ends up like abunchofnumbers or worse.

Wormy Guy, read the first post. 70 is the high end of bikes recommended for beginners. The MSF does not prepare you completely for riding a motorcycle. As our instructor said at the end of our class, "You are now qualified to ride around a parking lot." You're in a place where there are a lot of different bikes available to you. Going 30hp over the max because something's a "good deal" or pretty isn't a reason to buy it.

My 1980 GS550, in excellent shape, was purchased for about $600, has 49hp, and has a max speed of about 110mph. It's plenty to kill me as it stands. Even when people decide to get "acceptable" bikes they frequently drop them or crash. I can tell you this right now, though. Should you ignore all of our advice and do end up injured or dead, sad to say not many people in this subforum will be feeling sorry for you.

Side question, what happened to the wiki?

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Simkin posted:

Wormy Guy: You're the exact same way that every other goddamn newbie getting into this is...

kdc67 posted:

Wormy Guy, read the first post. 70 is the high end of bikes recommended for beginners....

Thanks guys, I need to hear that. I of course read the wiki over and over but the newbie in me wants the coolest looking bike right away (R6, CBR, Gixxer, etc). I thought I was at least doing a good job in not getting something really nice and expensive at first by wanting this '94 CBR. I do realize I won't need all that horsepower, but the mature person in me says "I'll learn to control it."

The Wiki is down now but I know that there are things like Bandits, SV650's, Ninja's etc in there. I'll keep looking around for more beginner sport bike and come back to you guys.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kdc67 posted:

Side question, what happened to the wiki?
site down, looks like. it was hosted by uh... i forgot his name. i remember he owned a porsche! have to find out where he is, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Z3n posted:

Technically, you need a permit to transport any motorcycle that you own on public highways, regardless of what the use is.

Haha, what is this? [citation needed]. I can totally see it being real, cuz its Cali, but what?

quote:

Registration is cheaper on bikes here. Not that much cheaper, but a little cheaper.

01 f4i = $77 for sticker
88 cutlass ciera = $45 for sticker