Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

slow hands posted:

marty give me a shout
:)

Email sent, if you want to edit your address out go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My league playoffs are this week. Personal goals for myself: Come out and challenge people a lot more. Don't lose.

I think I can do that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hazed_blue posted:

Sometimes in pickups, I'll skate in front of my own defenseman and screen him before the shooter takes a shot.

I'm going to try this if he shows up again tonight because getting screened was really much more frustrating than giving up goals. It's not like I don't need the practice to see the puck through a crowd but this guy was extra oblivious.

So the other thing I need to work on now is fixing my reaction to shooters coming down the boards. I've been trying to be much more aggressive and coming out to cut down the corners to the point where now I may be coming out too much. This was kind of emphasized when a guy carried the puck down the boards to the bottom of the faceoff circle. Instead of hugging the post on the red line like I did before I kind of tried turning my body to face the shooter more which should theoretically cut off any pass through the crease to the backdoor. Well twice he managed to get a shot off that I couldn't block because it was just in front of the crease, but in addition to that I was facing him so when he got the pass off there was no easy way to slide across the crease without first turning myself to be parallel with the red line again, a very unnatural movement. Thank god the guy he passed it to managed to whiff on both chances he got.

Seems to me like I just picked a bad save from my toolbox. If I know there's a chance at a one-timer I should keep a shallower angle or just hug the post on the goal line which would allow me to slide across. If there's less of a chance for a one-timer then I think my angle would have been Ok.

I guess I can thank my lack of defense for at least exposing me to these lessons :cool:

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
The trick is finding that sweet spot where you're as ready as possible to move across and cover the one-timer but aren't giving away too much to the shooter. In my opinion, probably the toughest single instance in goaltending if only for the fact that it always changes depending on the quality of the shooter and the position of the guy he can potentially pass to. Its a whole lot to consider in a very short few seconds. If you aren't familiar with the opposing team its an even tougher call.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's why beer leagues are hell on goalies. The easy answer is: play the shooter to the best of your abilities but we all know that the cross ice pass is getting through.

When I played competitively, I was extremely aggressive on the shooter (I'm only 5'10) - but I had a defense that was usually back and didn't get passed through.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

T-Bone posted:

That's why beer leagues are hell on goalies. The easy answer is: play the shooter to the best of your abilities but we all know that the cross ice pass is getting through.
Yeah, but then the other team has to rely on the beer leaguer catching the pass and hitting the net.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Yeah, but then the other team has to rely on the beer leaguer catching the pass and hitting the net.

Strangely enough, NCAA D1 alumnis don't flub many point blank one-timers.

(Actually they do, but when they're getting like at least one a shift it doesn't matter).

The best thing is I had a guy who played defense for Western Michigan on my team. And he was still pretty young, like 29, one or two years out of low level pro. So I figure, alright this guy was a defensive d-man in college (which he was, he had like two points a year), and is gonna be pretty dependable in our zone.

And while yes, he was rock solid in our end, he spent so much time making full ice Bobby Orr style rushes that he constantly left his partner alone for two on ones.

But I should have expected that, it's a beer league, everyone's there to score.

edit: I would never advise trying to cheat on the pass because it's going to burn you hard eventually. Even if the guy has passed up on the shot 12 times in a row, if he's good, he's still ready to shoot the moment you cheat.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2008

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Pfffft, former NCAA D1 players don't count when I think of the term "beer leaguer." Slow guys with beer bellies that have trouble staying onside is what I think of. :patriot:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Pfffft, former NCAA D1 players don't count when I think of the term "beer leaguer." Slow guys with beer bellies that have trouble staying onside is what I think of. :patriot:

we have those too. In Knoxville - 'A' league runs a pretty big gamut.

Playing with high schoolers I coached and the SPHL leading scorer in the same game is weird.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

This is pretty much what saves my bacon on those plays. Guys who can routinely pick corners on me when they have time to set up a shot will send one-timers 5 feet wide of the net at every opportunity.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I agree with those above; I play the shooter as aggressively as possible-- sure, you're out farther than you'd like to be for playing a pass, but you increase the chance of that pass happening by a good enough margin that you can pretty much count on it...either that or the shooter is just going to hit you with the puck, no harm done.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Picked up my equipment from my parents basement today and brought it back to the city. Games start next week. Behold my beat up old Heaton Helite-IV:

My mostly busted Pro-masque (with Gerry Cheevers-style stitches wherever the puck left a good mark):

and my notched goal stick. Anyone else here do this little mod? Its popular in some places, I picked it up off a goalie from U-Maine when I was up there. I've been doing this so long I couldn't go back now:

Psyched to get back on the ice after so long. :)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
One thing I'll mention as a defenseman, since for some reason not all goalies do this, is TALK TO ME. Talk. I'm not omniscient. I don't always know if I'm screening you, or if there is a guy sneaking in behind me on the back door.

I know this sounds obvious, but the goalie on the team I help coach doesn't talk to his defense at all. It is not ok to not talk to your defense. I don't care if you are the quietiest mother fucker on earth, you need to at least make the attempt to talk to your defense.

They will be especially happy if you do it in a league where there is hitting so that they don't get plastered into the boards when trying to pick up a puck on a dump in :unsmith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Crumleg posted:

and my notched goal stick. Anyone else here do this little mod? Its popular in some places, I picked it up off a goalie from U-Maine when I was up there. I've been doing this so long I couldn't go back now:

Eagle/Curtis sell the Curtis Curve and Eagle Trigger sticks, which come with a notch in the paddle. I liked those sticks a lot when I first started playing, because the extended paddle and the notch helped to give me better control when I was standing up. However, now that I drop/butterfly a lot more than I used to, I prefer to have a shorter paddle, though I go back and forth on just how short of a paddle that I want.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vigilance posted:

I know this sounds obvious, but the goalie on the team I help coach doesn't talk to his defense at all. It is not ok to not talk to your defense. I don't care if you are the quietiest mother fucker on earth, you need to at least make the attempt to talk to your defense.

They will be especially happy if you do it in a league where there is hitting so that they don't get plastered into the boards when trying to pick up a puck on a dump in :unsmith:

I have this little system where instead of ONE ON or MAN ON, I tell my defensemen beforehand that I'll also give them a short countdown. That way they have some indication of how much time they've got before they're set upon. Like, ONE ON IN 4, 3, 2, 1 and just count at the appropriate speed. If the guy is about to plaster him I'll yell ONE ON NOW NOW! or DUMP DUMP! That way they know they either have enough time to take a look around or that they should dump it around the boards in case they get their pocket picked or whatever.

I tend to repeat myself as well in case they don't hear me or pay attention the first time. I'm the guy who's yelling YOU GOT TIME YOU GOT TIME YOU GOT TIME. I often worry that I'm coming across as bossy or demanding but I'd rather come across that way and make sure my guys are well informed than be quiet and polite.

I don't think I've ever had a guy tell me to shut up yet, but I'm sure it'll happen one day.

Crumleg posted:

and my notched goal stick. Anyone else here do this little mod? Its popular in some places, I picked it up off a goalie from U-Maine when I was up there. I've been doing this so long I couldn't go back now

I notch all my sticks. I don't bother making a trigger grip like you did, but I do round out a little indentation for my index finger to rest naturally. Every time I try a stick in a pro shop I am weirded out by the fact that they're not notched and I have to remind myself that I do it at home.

quote:

Hi-fuckin-five :cool:

I'm on the road a fair bit of Thursday coming back from Montreal, and then I play a game at 11 -- that'll be interesting. Hopefully if anything I'll have a lot of energy to burn off from sitting in the car for hours on end :v:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 27, 2008

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

Aniki posted:

Eagle/Curtis sell the Curtis Curve and Eagle Trigger sticks, which come with a notch in the paddle. I liked those sticks a lot when I first started playing, because the extended paddle and the notch helped to give me better control when I was standing up. However, now that I drop/butterfly a lot more than I used to, I prefer to have a shorter paddle, though I go back and forth on just how short of a paddle that I want.

You can't really tell from the photo because of the tape but the paddle is actually shaved down quite a bit too. I'm a pretty short guy, and on top of that, different stick makers have varying paddle lengths so rather then let either of those facts bother me, I use my big file and jig saw quite liberally.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Crumleg posted:

You can't really tell from the photo because of the tape but the paddle is actually shaved down quite a bit too. I'm a pretty short guy, and on top of that, different stick makers have varying paddle lengths so rather then let either of those facts bother me, I use my big file and jig saw quite liberally.

I can see that you shaved off quite a bit from the inside of the paddle and I do wish that sticks would naturally come with an asymmetrical paddle, though admittedly I'm terrible at woodworking, so unless I come across an Eagle Trigger stick at the hockey shop, I'll normally end up playing with an unmodded Sherwood stick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's actually a LOT easier than you might think. For me:

Just mark a natural curve between the top of the paddle and an arbitrary point lower on the paddle. Take a jigsaw and clumsily cut down most of the marked area, but still stay well within the line. This is incidentally the most nerve-wracking part because one slipup with the jigsaw and you've basically sawed your stick in half. It's yet to happen to me after five or six tries so steady on!

Take a dremel with a sanding drum (not a sanding/cutting disc) and smooth the rest of the curve out.

I mean, when you take a look at the paddle before I go in with the dremel it literally looks like some retarded child hit it with an axe repeatedly. The dremel really cleans it nicely.

I can post photos tomorrow to clarify if anyone wants, but I bet everyone knows where I'm going with this.

Also, I'm pretty sure this won't work on any fancy $150 goalie sticks, but that's why I buy the cheap kind :haw:

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Whats the point of the notched stick?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It lets my hand rest on the stick much more naturally. Helps with hand fatigue bigtime in my case.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
You don't even need a dremel or a jigsaw really, I've cut the main chunk out with a hacksaw and I always to the fine work with a big wood file. You need one with some serious teeth on it to do it in any reasonable amount of time but its easy. And a set of wood files is cheap.

As to why? It gives me a lot more control on the angle of my stick, gives me a firmer hold on it (basically impossible for it to get ripped out of your hand). Just feels more natural than having a stray finger resting on the paddle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's my take on it (IMGFLOOD WOO)

I either need to wrap three fingers way too high up

Or two fingers on the paddle which is poo poo for grip in my hands

Otherwise my fingers naturally want to rest here:

BUT when I hack away a chunk:

My fingers fall where they want to:

Ahhhh feels so good:

Unlike crumleg, I actually like having the stray finger on my paddle. It's never bothered me. What's always bothered me is that my fingers never fell where they felt natural without the cut :)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Hey Marty are you a full-right goalie? I think I am the only one..

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I have this little system where instead of ONE ON or MAN ON, I tell my defensemen beforehand that I'll also give them a short countdown.

However you do it is fine, but it really does help out so much to be talking to your defense. We do our best, but we don't always have the view of the situation that the goalie has.

If I get nailed by somebody I didn't see coming in the defensive zone it's pretty much the goalies fault :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

No, the photos are just flipped ;)

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

After our first game last night, I'd like to restate my love/hate for goalies. We outshot the other team 35-24 but it ended in a 1-1 tie in overtime. Both goals were also off of second rebounds (shot-save-rebound-save-rebound-goal). It was very frustrating but it made the game a lot more fun than the 8-7 shootouts we usually have. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
If it weren't for good goalies, hockey games would be like lacrosse- sure, goals are exciting, but there's no tension!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crumleg posted:

If it weren't for good goalies, hockey games would be like lacrosse- sure, goals are exciting, but there's no tension!

a 1-0 or 2-1 win is usually WAY more exciting than a 7-6 barnburner.

Edit: Unless the trap is involved I mean.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno that 6-5 or whatever Boston win last year was maybe the best game of the playoffs imo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still my favorite NHL game: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E3D8113FF93AA35755C0A9669C8B63

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Definitely, whenever asked, I always say that that is my favorite game, even though the Devils lost. It's a shame that we'll never see it rebroadcast in its entirety. I still have TSN's classic series show about that series on my DVR. It was one of the best goaltending duels I've ever seen (I never got to see the '94 Buffalo/NJ series though).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

It was one of the best goaltending duels I've ever seen (I never got to see the '94 Buffalo/NJ series though).

I was at games one and seven (PEPE!). I fell asleep before game six was over, though (perhaps for the better :( ). Cut me some slack, I was 10.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft

Martytoof posted:

It lets my hand rest on the stick much more naturally. Helps with hand fatigue bigtime in my case.

Hmm, i just always held all 4 fingers up high and my hand gets super tired. Maybe I'll try this with my old Sherwood after i buy my new one and see how it feels.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

Vigilance posted:

I dunno that 6-5 or whatever Boston win last year was maybe the best game of the playoffs imo
I'm not saying that high scoring games aren't ever exciting, just that its usually better when getting one in isn't a foregone conclusion. If the goals are good ones, and the score is high simply because the teams are playing aggressively and getting a lot of shots, then a higher score is fine. I just find that often times its the chances that are more exciting than the goals. Oftentimes you don't even see a goal coming, it just happens and if you blink you miss it. A game with lots of big chances met by great defensive plays/saves will put you on the edge of your seat more than an all-star game deal where you don't worry about going down by 2.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Crumleg posted:

I loved these sticks but they busted ALL the time for me.

Polish posted:

:hf: <--- those are left hands.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

titanium posted:

I loved these sticks but they busted ALL the time for me.
Somehow, using that notch all the way through high school hockey and club hockey, I never once broke a stick there. Actually I think I pretty much exclusively had sticks break on the blade.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Anyone else give up a GWG softie with 15 seconds left last night or just me?? :(

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Bet you felt awsome after that one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Look at it this way. At least it wasn't a rinkwide SHG on a desperation clear from the opposite goal line. BY THE OTHER GOALIE.

So buck up :cool:

edit: Never happened to me, I'm just thinking of a scenario that could be worse :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Look at it this way. At least it wasn't a rinkwide SHG on a desperation clear from the opposite goal line. BY THE OTHER GOALIE.

So buck up :cool:

edit: Never happened to me, I'm just thinking of a scenario that could be worse :haw:

I wasn't really pissed about it, I mean I've won that team plenty of games too, no big deal. Just get ready for the next one.

• Locked thread