Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

dxt posted:

but Pure Holocaust is probably the best Immortal album, definitely the best of their earlier stuff :confused:

Pure Holocaust is their best, but it's not for black metal rookies. Heart of Winter is better for that IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

krustster posted:

I think most black metal fans would enjoy the black metal stylings of "sewage disposal" based band Stiny Plamenu.

http://www.myspace.com/diveintothewastewater

Their lyrics are based on some sort of sewer mythology that the band apparently made up, and they're mostly in some gay foreign language (lolol) so you can't understand them anyway, but they feature characters like The Sewage Disposal Lord, Lady of the Waterworks, Son of the Manhole Lids, and The Cesspool Master. The actual music is pretty good, very fast blastbeat stuff with good melodies and whatnot. I highly recommend it.
Zelezo Krvaci was great as was their earlier work but their most recent album was an enormous letdown. It didn't grab me as much as earlier stuff and worse they started adding stupid poo poo like completely out-of-place female vocals. ISTR pseudo-clean male vocals too but I'm not certain.

edit: also it's sort of annoying that people latch onto the whole "sewer metal" gimmick because their earlier stuff is legitimately good and who the gently caress cares about some dumb gimmick like that

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Woth (http://www.myspace.com/wothesperus) did the sewer thing first, just sayin

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Can sewers be frostbitten?

Transylvanian Plunger?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thanks, I like these, especially the first one. Also, is wrong to look up pictures of these bands and laugh until I wheeze?

Not at all.

<--- Serious Norwegian Black Metal drummer is serious.

The more pretentious the photo, the more fun I have running it through the Roflbot Generator and adding captions to them.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

het posted:

Zelezo Krvaci was great as was their earlier work but their most recent album was an enormous letdown. It didn't grab me as much as earlier stuff and worse they started adding stupid poo poo like completely out-of-place female vocals. ISTR pseudo-clean male vocals too but I'm not certain.

edit: also it's sort of annoying that people latch onto the whole "sewer metal" gimmick because their earlier stuff is legitimately good and who the gently caress cares about some dumb gimmick like that

Yeah I dunno, I like the latest album well enough. I think the sewer stuff is amusing but it's not like it affects the music at all.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Just as I suspected from what I had heard on their myspace page, the debut EP, 'Open The Gates of Hell' from Christ Beheaded (Demiricous & The Gates of Slumber) is great. Any fans of both Dissection or Watain should definately check it out.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=382628195

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Alright, BM thread, tell me what you think of Von! I only know of them through Watains' wiki article. Are they worth listening to?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
They're only really notable for the time and place they were active and the influence they had on later bands. It's worth listening to but honestly everything they've done has been bettered by countless other bands.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread anywhere, so I'll throw out Trelldom as a really good band. Or at least a band with a really good album: Til Et Annet... is classic BM sound (Darkthrone, Burzum, Taake etc) that's just catchy as poo poo. Also features Gaahl on vocals, I just now saw that. Anyway highly recommended for the old school appeal.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Hay guys, I like Avant-Gardeish Black Metal like Sigh, Mirrorthrone, and Ihsahn. What else is out there like this?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Clothes Optional posted:

Hay guys, I like Avant-Gardeish Black Metal like Sigh, Mirrorthrone, and Ihsahn. What else is out there like this?
There's a lot of different styles, so here's my typical laundry list of avant-garde/progressive metal in the black/viking vein so you can pop on MySpace or wherever and find them for yourself:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale, The Sham Mirrors
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Borknagar - Borknagar, The Olden Domain, The Archaic Course
Enslaved - Below the Lights, Isa
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages (black and abrasive), Omnio (barely black at all but still awesome so I might as well mention it)
maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map
Negura Bunget - Om, 'n Crugu Bradului
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie, The Moribund People
Portal - Outre, Seepia
Root - The Book, Madness of the Graves
Scholomance - The Immortality Murder
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali, The Linear Scaffold
Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters, Those Who Caress the Pale

And maybe:
...And Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts, The Symmetry of I / The Circle of O

Steal the following from a blind school child just to laugh at how bad this genre can be:
Oxiplegatz - Sidereal Journey

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 29, 2008

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004

Misogynist posted:

There's a lot of different styles, so here's my typical laundry list of avant-garde/progressive metal in the black/viking vein so you can pop on MySpace or wherever and find them for yourself:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale, The Sham Mirrors
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Borknagar - Borknagar, The Olden Domain, The Archaic Course
Enslaved - Below the Lights, Isa
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages (black and abrasive), Omnio (barely black at all but still awesome so I might as well mention it)
maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map
Negura Bunget - Om, 'n Crugu Bradului
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie, The Moribund People
Portal - Outre, Seepia
Root - The Book, Madness of the Graves
Scholomance - The Immortality Murder
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali, The Linear Scaffold
Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters, Those Who Caress the Pale

And maybe:
...And Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts, The Symmetry of I / The Circle of

Steal the following from a blind school child just to laugh at how bad this genre can be:
Oxiplegatz - Sidereal Journey

Thanks a lot, I will check all these out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The most accessible from that list are:
Arcturus - La Masquerade
Borknager - s/t
...And Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery
Enslaved (I'd actually recommend Mardraum: Beyond The Within from them, or Blodhemn for more straight up viking metal)
Linear Scaffold is quite good too

In the Woods and Maudlin of the Well I've never been able to get into, they jump around a little too much or something :/

I'm not familiar with most of the other bands but I can tell Misogynist knows his poo poo so I'll be checking some of them out as well :)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
...In The Woods can be pretty sketchy in the studio, but comes out much better live. Check out Live At The Caledonian Hall. It does the tracks on Omnio justice.

Also Vulture Industries - The Dystopia Journals, especially if you like Garm-esque vocals.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
No Deathspell Omega mentions for him?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

PARIAH CAREY posted:

No Deathspell Omega mentions for him?
I'd considered it, but I don't think they're particularly avant-garde outside of Kenose which basically sounded like a bunch of bees buzzing around a large diaphragm condenser anyway.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

sephiroth669 posted:

I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread anywhere, so I'll throw out Trelldom as a really good band. Or at least a band with a really good album: Til Et Annet... is classic BM sound (Darkthrone, Burzum, Taake etc) that's just catchy as poo poo. Also features Gaahl on vocals, I just now saw that. Anyway highly recommended for the old school appeal.

I just found Trelldom in the last few months, I'm a fan. One of the few bands to keep the old sound these days.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

sephiroth669 posted:

Hell yeah, I discovered them a couple of months ago as well. I've only got Till Minne, how is Til Et Annet?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I know Darkthrone isn't really BM anymore, but they're darkthrone so gently caress you. Their new album is loving awesome. Definitely their best of the crustpunk sound. Some songs even reach right into the 80's thrash closet. Oath Minus could pass for an old metallica B-side. Norway in September too, it loving rules.

Not Very Metal posted:

Hell yeah, I discovered them a couple of months ago as well. I've only got Till Minne, how is Til Et Annet?

The production is a lot worse than Till Minne, I haven't been able to listen to it enough to know if I like it or not. You can't hear poo poo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 29, 2008

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

I know Darkthrone isn't really BM anymore, but they're darkthrone so gently caress you. Their new album is loving awesome. Definitely their best of the crustpunk sound. Some songs even reach right into the 80's thrash closet. Oath Minus could pass for an old metallica B-side. Norway in September too, it loving rules.
Yeah, I'm digging it and noticed the thrash aspect too. I also like Hanging Out in Haiger a lot

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

So Gaahl's come out of the closet finally. Personally I say being gay makes him more black metal since few things are as anti-christian as sodomy.

There's an interview up on blabbermouth. He talks about the guy he tied up and thrashed for a day. He says the guy was sent after him after an altercation he had in jail during his first stint, and the stories in the paper were just stories. I guess he didn't want to talk about it and make a stink because that would be weak, handled his business on his own.

het posted:

Yeah, I'm digging it and noticed the thrash aspect too. I also like Hanging Out in Haiger a lot

the song titles rule. HIKING METAL PUNKS!

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 29, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Wow, that's a pretty cool interview. I'm having a hard time believing all of the [laugh] interjections there. Awesome, excited to hear the effect his coming out has on the new album, if any.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

Morbid Florist posted:

So Gaahl's come out of the closet finally. Personally I say being gay makes him more black metal since few things are as anti-christian as sodomy.

I think it's great and hilarious at the same time. It's been an open secret in Norway for a long time that he's gay. And when you're making dresses with this guy, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise: http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00617/Dan_De_Vero_og_Gaah_617588b.jpg :D

I don't think he cares what other people think about it though. And most people don't mind at all, even within the "scene".

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Not Very Metal posted:

I haven't heard Til Minne yet, but if it's anything like Til Et Annet then I need to :) Annet is 'catchy' black metal the same way as Taake's debut or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Man, Gaahl's a sensitive artist all right :) I remember there was a series of interviews on youtube with him, he took the crew up to the top of this mountain, like above the treeline, and showed them this little hut that his grandfather built and lived in or something. So that means he had to haul up all the wood and stuff to built it. That's pretty goddamn metal.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

sephiroth669 posted:

I haven't heard Til Minne yet, but if it's anything like Til Et Annet then I need to :) Annet is 'catchy' black metal the same way as Taake's debut or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Heh, I haven't heard Annet, so I believe this is a "pickle."

Anyway, here is the interview on Blabbermouth, and the documentary you mentioned is here.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man that interview's awesome. In the last segment he's whining that nobody understands his art or whatever and one of the guys says 'well show me, teach us.' In response Gaahl sits and stares at him for like 45 seconds then *sip* of his wine. Roll motherfucking credits.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

sephiroth669 posted:

Man that interview's awesome. In the last segment he's whining that nobody understands his art or whatever and one of the guys says 'well show me, teach us.' In response Gaahl sits and stares at him for like 45 seconds then *sip* of his wine. Roll motherfucking credits.

It's been analysed to death before but the conventional black metal satanist take on that is that he wasn't whining - that he feels superior to the subhuman scum (including those interviewing him) that just don't get what it's about (i.e. self-reliance etc) and what does the interviewer do? "Show me show me" in a complete antithesis of what he had been trying to explain.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Good list, but another pretty commonly mentioned one is Unexpect - the easiest introduction to their music is the WE_Invaders EP, their latest album is really jumpy.

Also the vocalist from Peccatum released a new album under the name Starofash (It's Ihsahn's wife!) It's similar to Peccatum without the metal aspects so its still worth checking out.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Heh, I haven't heard Annet, so I believe this is a "pickle."

Anyway, here is the interview on Blabbermouth, and the documentary you mentioned is here.

Wanna hear Ghaal's ambient album now.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

PARIAH CAREY posted:

Wanna hear Ghaal's ambient album now.

He has an ambient album??

If you're talking about the instrumental stuff they play during the TNBM documentary, that's not gaahl, that's Gorgoroth's old drummer kvitrfan's new band Wardruna. THAT I want to hear, once it's done.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
He says he's doing ambient music in that interview.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

He has an ambient album??

If you're talking about the instrumental stuff they play during the TNBM documentary, that's not gaahl, that's Gorgoroth's old drummer kvitrfan's new band Wardruna. THAT I want to hear, once it's done.

Yeah, Gaahl mentions it in that Blabbermouth interview iirc. God, what kind of fan are you? :rolleyes: He he he...

I listened to a couple tracks from Kvitrafn's wardrum disc, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Oh yeah, did you end up going as Gaahl to work?

efb

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

Ah, there's parts I just can't hear what he's saying.

Not Very Metal posted:

Yeah, Gaahl mentions it in that Blabbermouth interview iirc. God, what kind of fan are you? :rolleyes: He he he...

I listened to a couple tracks from Kvitrafn's wardrum disc, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Oh yeah, did you end up going as Gaahl to work?

efb

I didn't actually. Too much of a pain in the rear end in the morning to corpse up, but I did bring my newly made spiked gauntlets and some blood coming out of my eyes. I'm going to a friend's place tonight all done up, so I figured all day with paint on my face would really piss me off getting it everywhere.

the spikes have sure made a few people forget why they came by though, so it's not a total loss. :black101:

Is Abbath happening?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 31, 2008

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

the wizards beard posted:

Hes a contributer of lyrics to wardruna. I suspect thats what hes talking about.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Halloween is metal as gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Black metal is an ethos and a lifestyle and you shouldn't mock it by playing dress-up for your friends

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Black metal is an ethos and a lifestyle and you shouldn't mock it by playing dress-up for your friends

I took it so seriously two people had to be brought to the hospital with freezer burn and I definitely stabbed my girlfriend in the tits with those nails once or twice. :colbert:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Morbid Florist posted:

I took it so seriously two people had to be brought to the hospital with freezer burn and I definitely stabbed my girlfriend in the tits with those nails once or twice. :colbert:

Well, did she like it?

I was a Viking, which is my default 'quickie' Halloween costume. e.g. Check calendar, see what day it is, freak that you didn't plan anything, spy the cheapo plastic Viking helmet you got in May for Syttende Mai, plop that on head, wear your 'NORWAY' rugby jersey (again, a Syttende Mai fashion statement), and you have a costume!

And, you're also ready to pillage Ireland!

Everybody loves Vikings :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells

Morbid Florist posted:

Nice Mjolnir necklace you filthy heathen. ;)