Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
It seems one of my fans isn't coming on in my 89 XJ which is causing a bit of overheating on long drives. Anyone have suggestions on what could possibly be causing this and if its an easy fix? Might just rig up some on/off switch myself if its not something common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Our '90 has the same issue. We just put a switch on it.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
ALSO:

Click here for the full 1120x840 image.

That is not MY jeep.

This is proof 33s will FIT with no suspension mods.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

pr0zac posted:

It seems one of my fans isn't coming on in my 89 XJ which is causing a bit of overheating on long drives. Anyone have suggestions on what could possibly be causing this and if its an easy fix? Might just rig up some on/off switch myself if its not something common.

Failed temperature switch? Beyond that, you're going to have to do some diagnosis yourself on the fan's wiring to fix this fault. Check all connections, grounds, etc.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Does anyone here own one of the CRD libertys? It was a diesel edition that was around in 05- I'm pretty interested in it, but there aren't that many.

From my understanding diesel prices went way up above gas in recent years- Would I be shooting myself in the foot in commiting myself to a diesel rig?

Running biodiesel might be interesting, but I have my doubts to how practical\realistic it is.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My 1997 ZJ is still for sale if anyone's interested in a killer winter vehicle. :) I'm in Tasmania studying until 15 November, you'd be dealing with the parents of a goon.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

ALSO:

That is not MY jeep.

Well, yeah, they fit so long as you don't go off even pavement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

I'm in Tasmania studying until 15 November, you'd be dealing with the parents of a goon.

When you get back, you wanna deal on my Focus? Or are we bets off with that? Just lemme know.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

When you get back, you wanna deal on my Focus? Or are we bets off with that? Just lemme know.

OH poo poo I completely forgot to contact you regarding that. I'll send you an email via your CL post.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Well, yeah, they fit so long as you don't go off even pavement.

PFFFFT. details.

This guy was interesting to watch. He posts were always referred to as DON'T DO THIS.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

ALSO:

That is not MY jeep.

That's a good basis of comparison for me, I have the same lovely plastic flares and those things that barely qualify for bumpers. My clearcoat's worn away so I'm going to spray it this spring. This opens it up for some body work as well. I don't think I'd do that with mine, and cutting away fender to open up more room leaves me with the problem of finding flares that fit correctly. I'd still want to ride a little higher and would probably max out on 31" or 32" for now. I'm on the edge of the rust belt but there's nothing serious under there; with some penetrating oil the shackles shouldn't be too tough.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

glasyalabolas posted:

That's a good basis of comparison for me, I have the same lovely plastic flares and those things that barely qualify for bumpers. My clearcoat's worn away so I'm going to spray it this spring. This opens it up for some body work as well. I don't think I'd do that with mine, and cutting away fender to open up more room leaves me with the problem of finding flares that fit correctly. I'd still want to ride a little higher and would probably max out on 31" or 32" for now. I'm on the edge of the rust belt but there's nothing serious under there; with some penetrating oil the shackles shouldn't be too tough.

There are a set of oversize flares that actually have you cut the wheel well out to make the new flares fit:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_501_07.htm

I'm pretty sure you cut out the rear because they are "TJ style rear flares".

PDF instructions say yes.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

charliecantsurf posted:

Does anyone here own one of the CRD libertys? It was a diesel edition that was around in 05- I'm pretty interested in it, but there aren't that many.

From my understanding diesel prices went way up above gas in recent years- Would I be shooting myself in the foot in commiting myself to a diesel rig?

Running biodiesel might be interesting, but I have my doubts to how practical\realistic it is.

Eh, a big red flag goes up in my mind if you notice that they deprecate a lot more than most diesel vehicles out there

I was interested in Liberty CRDs just like you until I googled "Liberty CRD problem". Keep in mind that Jeep Liberties already have tranny problems because they're so heavy for the size, so when the CRD came out they had to do a lot of recalls and neuter a lot of the power it made so that the diesel engine would stop shredding transmissions.

You can't drive it like a gasser either, if you take it on short cold trips you are going to be replacing the EGR valve, a lot.

Besides, you can just go get a late 80s early 90s Wagoneer/Cherokee that gets you 24 city / 32 hwy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_rxGUL3h1w :colbert:

Telven fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 25, 2008

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
So, I have about 40 pictures from Jeeptober Fest in Ocala, Florida from this weekend, and waffle images doesn't have a mass upload feature. Anyone recommend me something?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Eh, used imgload. Jeeptoberfest

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Wow, the auto liberty transmissions really suck I guess. We have an '02 with the manual, and its still running strong after 80k miles. And yeah, liberties are total fat asses, but still pretty sweet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was told that a good and cheap way to raise my 99 XJ 2-3 inches, is to use front springs from a V8 Grand, and then just put blocks under the rear leafs.

Confirm/deny

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
the coils up front will work. However i would not recommend the blocks in back as that tends to be unstable and can possible warp the leaf springs faster.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
s10 bastard pack for the rear. Blocks are bad, they allow tons more axle wrap and when the spring is weak enough it will snap.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 27, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
an add a leaf in the rear would be much MUCH better than a block. Most kits for XJs are just that. New coils and add a leafs, or replacement spring packs in the rear on the more expensive lifts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

s10 bastard pack

Please explain, I've never heard of this.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

leica posted:

Please explain, I've never heard of this.

You mix some of the XJ springs with some of the stiffer S10 springs and it can give you a few inches of lift, with much better ride quality than an add a leaf. Do a search on NAXJA or JeepForum about it, it's pretty well covered.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Does anybody have the link to the old Jeep commercial advertising the 4.0L? It was an amazing commercial and I've since lost it and havn't been able to find it. :(

Edit: Holy poo poo I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r51zDVrzEB8&feature=related

Such an amazing ad.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 28, 2008

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MrZig posted:

Does anybody have the link to the old Jeep commercial advertising the 4.0L? It was an amazing commercial and I've since lost it and havn't been able to find it. :(

Edit: Holy poo poo I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r51zDVrzEB8&feature=related

Such an amazing ad.

Speed and power, that is EXACTLY what I think of with my '97 ZJ. :downs:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So, I parked the Jeep for a few days and now it will start...idle for roughly 2 seconds, then die....Anyone want to tell me what the hell is goin on? It'll die even if I give it gas, the battery is fine....

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

angryhampster posted:

Hey, it was a huge improvement over the GM 2.8 V6 that had a whopping 115 horsepower the years before. The 4.0 was more powerful than the V8's that they sold in the Grand Wagoneers the same years.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Your 97 ZJ also doesn't weight 3k pounds like an 87 MJ does either.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

Your 97 ZJ also doesn't weight 3k pounds like an 87 MJ does either.

3475 IIRC. Not too far off. I agree though, it was a drat good engine in its era.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Say what you want, but a 4.0L XJ will get up and go for what it is. Can't say the same for my 4.0L ZJ (42RE), though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Even with all the talk of how good the 4.0L is, I'm always surprised by how easily it pulls this 5,000 pound bastard up the boat launch. Also, considering that my leaf springs are made almost entirely out of rust at this point I'm surprised the back end stays off the axle (that front wheel on the trailer isn't supporting any weight).

Click here for the full 1365x1024 image.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Cat Hatter posted:

Even with all the talk of how good the 4.0L is, I'm always surprised by how easily it pulls this 5,000 pound bastard up the boat launch. Also, considering that my leaf springs are made almost entirely out of rust at this point I'm surprised the back end stays off the axle (that front wheel on the trailer isn't supporting any weight).

Click here for the full 1365x1024 image.

Tell me about it. I always thought the rear leafs in my '89 were in great shape until I replaced the shocks. Turns out they were load leveler shocks with the springs on them - as soon as I hammered it off, the back end fell down an inch or two. :(

It's still doing better than a coworker's 98 whos leaf springs were actually INVERTED. I don't know how it even functioned.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Yeah, I dread renting car dollies with my Jeep (Ought to just buy one at the rate I need them... Stupid older cars) because I always get the "You can't tow with that, our system says so, and I've never heard of a Jeep that can tow a car."

Not even a hesitation on the Jeep's part, just keeps chugging right along.

Now, shut up and rent me the dolly. :argh:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My buddy rented a tow dolly to pull an 85 FJ60 back that was 300 miles away. He told them he was going to be towing a Honda Prelude and they still said that my Jeep couldn't pull it. Needless to say my Comanche drove there and pulled it back without a hiccup, but he was probably pretty lucky it wasn't too windy.

I wouldn't regularly pull 5k pounds with an MJ, but that is just because it is so light and the brakes aren't really set up for it. But the engine always acts like it's no big deal. I would bet that if you upgraded the cooling system it could pull a good bit more than 5k.

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

The only reason to watch...
I've got a question about tires.

I have a 1998 XJ with stock rims. am I stuck with 225s or can I go with 235s?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I run 235's on my 1990 w/ stock rims and get just the slightest bit of rubbing if I attempt to turn the wheel all the way to the left. I adjusted easily to the problem and now barely notice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

UH OH WHAT DID I DO

I bought another Cherokee, that's what I did. :colbert:

IMMACULATE interior. And notice that little stick in the console? I'm officially cool in AI now.

gently caress what's wrong with the seat how can that possibly happen

It's cool brah, the PO "threw in" this awesome replacement seat from a 92. SWEET.

Not all that bad considering I paid only a grand for it. 1997 with 104k.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

leica posted:

UH OH WHAT DID I DO

I bought another Cherokee, that's what I did. :colbert:

IMMACULATE interior. And notice that little stick in the console? I'm officially cool in AI now.

gently caress what's wrong with the seat how can that possibly happen

It's cool brah, the PO "threw in" this awesome replacement seat from a 92. SWEET.

Not all that bad considering I paid only a grand for it. 1997 with 104k.

Nice deal!! I love beaters.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Nice deal!! I love beaters.

It might be a beater now, but once I'm done with it, it will be a gem. There's NO RUST anywhere besides surface rust underneath, the body is perfect and just needs a good cleaning/waxing, the seat frame will be welded, all seat covers and carpet thoroughly cleaned, fender flares dyed, etc, etc.

Once I get it to where I want it (hopefully by next winter) I may sell the white Cherokee to get a Wrangler :hellyeah:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I used to think Cherokees were garbage, but man this thread has really turned me on to them. But oops I just bought a Wrangler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

I used to think Cherokees were garbage, but man this thread has really turned me on to them. But oops I just bought a Wrangler.

I'm thinking of dumping my Wrangler for an XJ.

Thinking.