Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kramer posted:

V can't teleport either. It's a conjuration spell, which is his barred school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Yes but with a little help from her newfound infernal friend she might. Wouldn't surprise me at all if V shows up at the party all full of power and hatred and starts mercykilling everyone who surrenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Kramer posted:

V can't teleport either. It's a conjuration spell, which is his barred school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Yeah, but V is going to feel a lot better when he can actually help out Haley, instead of just further slipping into insanity.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Vanadium posted:

Yeah, but V is going to feel a lot better when he can actually help out Haley, instead of just further slipping into insanity.

BrainWeasel posted:

But then there'd be no plot!

This is exactly what I meant.

We as the readers know that V has split off from Elan and Durkon and is on a slippery slope to a dangerous place. Haley has no reason to suspect this -- as far as she's concerned everyone's together and V is normal as ever. Which is why her priorities in her message went 1) Durkon, rez please and 2) "Love to Elan."

This is dramatic irony at work, folks; the old and well-traveled trope of a message arriving just after the nick of time.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Durkon can shoot off a Sending to V to get him/her back. :(

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Hey guys, isn't it about time for a new strip?

Click here for the full 725x933 image.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Sefer posted:

Man, Rich knows his DnD, right down to PC's magically regaining HP when they double check their stats.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Sefer posted:

That was a really good update. The first to actually make me laugh in a while!

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
What a fine surprise to come home after Halloween to! (I trust you goons who celebrate US-sanctioned annual costumed revelry also had a good time)
I swear, it's like the strip exists purely to break the fourth wall. I love Celia's "Look, we ALL know what I'm pulling. Just go with it."

e: ...and, yep, Haley's cut does in fact shrink when she checks the rules. Good eye, Cuchulain.

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 1, 2008

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Cuchulain posted:

Man, Rich knows his DnD, right down to PC's magically regaining HP when they double check their stats.

Of course, you can't wait too long or else stat cheks won't always work.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Guys guys guys comic

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It's like he's reading this thread, taunting me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love the idea that Shojo has nothing better to do with his afterlife than visit Mr. Scruffy and torment Belkar.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I love the idea that Shojo has nothing better to do with his afterlife than visit Mr. Scruffy and torment Belkar.

I think the idea we are supposed to get is that he is going to life the Mark of Justice, so we can get Belkar killing all the other bad guys in the next page or something.

Knowing OOTS, this is probably not what is going to happen at all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

mango sentinel posted:

It's like he's reading this thread, taunting me.

Burlew has actually changed course on the comic in the past if he knows that people have anticipated his direction. I seriously doubt that he reads this thread though, 95% of the stuff we say comes up on his forums.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Ashcans posted:

Burlew has actually changed course on the comic in the past if he knows that people have anticipated his direction. I seriously doubt that he reads this thread though, 95% of the stuff we say comes up on his forums.

Which is pretty dumb... 'Oh no I laid out the foreshadowing in such a way it made the plot make sense and people are anticipating what will happen all excitedly!' BETTER PULL SOMETHING ELSE OUT OF MY rear end.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Gally posted:

Which is pretty dumb... 'Oh no I laid out the foreshadowing in such a way it made the plot make sense and people are anticipating what will happen all excitedly!' BETTER PULL SOMETHING ELSE OUT OF MY rear end.

It's just like a real DnD game!

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Ashcans posted:

I thought he said that he actively avoids reading speculatin just because he knows he would get that urge if he knew someone predicted it and wants to avoid that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Donraj posted:

I thought he said that he actively avoids reading speculatin just because he knows he would get that urge if he knew someone predicted it and wants to avoid that?

In his forum, all speculation must be spoiler-tagged and I think, confined to a single thread.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Does this mean that we might get some sort of actual character advancement in Belkar? I wonder if he'll take a level in a different class to represent that. Possibly rogue, to make him generally more clever skill-wise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

Does this mean that we might get some sort of actual character advancement in Belkar? I wonder if he'll take a level in a different class to represent that. Possibly rogue, to make him generally more clever skill-wise.

Ranger-Barbarian-Rogue? Isn't that spreading his killing points too thin?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's already a ranger with low Wisdom who didn't bother to put points in Survival or call an animal companion. I'd say character optimization isn't Belkar's strong suit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

He's already a ranger with low Wisdom who didn't bother to put points in Survival or call an animal companion. I'd say character optimization isn't Belkar's strong suit.

How would Survival help him kill? How would calling an animal companion help him kill?

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
animal companion would be useful, look at all the fun he's had with Mr Scruffy, and he's just a regular housecat

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Calaveron posted:

How would Survival help him kill? How would calling an animal companion help him kill?

I believe animal companions can flank your opponent, making them easier to kill. Depending on what you get it might even be able to find things to kill. If he does decide to call an animal companion, I can see it being Mr. Scruffy. House cats can kill commoners after all.

Survival not so much.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If he takes a level of Rogue, Mr. Fluffy flanking with him would net him +1d6 worth of Sneak Attack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Calaveron posted:

Animal companions can flank, trip, grapple, or help him ride/fly after it.

Can't kill what you can't track down.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Did any of the background books ever explain why Belkar chose to become a ranger in the first place? Was it just for the two-weapon fighting skills?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Did any of the background books ever explain why Belkar chose to become a ranger in the first place? Was it just for the two-weapon fighting skills?

Belkar's origin is him in jail complaining about being bored and lasts a page or two. So, no.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

:f5:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm not sure what to think of this one. Artistically, I will say that I love the background of the comic.

Plotwise, I dunno....

I guess we'll have to see where it goes from here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I like the arrangement and the presentation, but that sure is a lot of :words: that I'm not sure I see the point of. On the other hand I'm glad its not a 'Meanwhile, back in...' interrupt, so I'm happy to run with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I like the arrangement and the presentation, but that sure is a lot of :words: that I'm not sure I see the point of. On the other hand I'm glad its not a 'Meanwhile, back in...' interrupt, so I'm happy to run with it.
Means Belkar will "forget" to be affected so severely by the mark of justice so he can help out Haley and Celia.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The 6th panel is pretty drat awesome.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
I like it. I think this is going to address the "Hurr I'm Belkar better stab me some things" one-dimensional psychopath that people have been complaining about. And it's done in a humourous way too. Characters maintain a level of interest by growing and evolving, Belkar growing to realise he needs to fake this is kind of like a meta-growth. He's metagaming social interaction.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
I forsee a touching scene where he tells Haley he is sorry for being such a psychotic pain in the rear end, and everyone is really impressed with how much he has grown as a person. And in the next panel he is going to stab another gnome in the face, just out of sight of everyone else.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

Amused Frog posted:

Characters maintain a level of interest by growing and evolving, Belkar growing to realise he needs to fake this is kind of like a meta-growth. He's metagaming social interaction.
Although this is also Burlew building a backdoor into the character. This way, he can have Belkar turn into a good guy--but if he ever gets bored with good-guy Belkar, he can have him just suddenly be evil again and say "oh, I was faking it all along".

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Scopedog posted:

Although this is also Burlew building a backdoor into the character. This way, he can have Belkar turn into a good guy--but if he ever gets bored with good-guy Belkar, he can have him just suddenly be evil again and say "oh, I was faking it all along".

I don't think he would turn Belkar good, though, is the thing. Belkar is a one-joke character, which doesn't lend itself to character development, but if you don't develop the character, you write yourself into a corner when you run out of fresh approaches to that one joke. Additionally, one-joke characters run the risk of being left behind by the rest of the cast when they grow -- this would have already happened if not for the Oracle's memory charm.

This is a clever way to expand Belkar's character without betraying Belkar's character. It's perfectly possible to be Chaotic Evil and still do seemingly Good acts - not getting arrested and executed is ultimately in one's best self-interest, and live allies repay debts better than dead targets. If Belkar ever started acting Good or Neutral without being acutely self-aware of his selfish motives, nobody would buy it, so it's not going to happen.

He's not going to "turn good" -- he's just graduating from Joker-style villainy to Lex-Luthor-style villainy.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Can't wait to see the "new" Belkar. Obviously he won't be rainbows and puppy dogs, but I'm expecting to at least see some "I've learned my lesson, I'll behave from now on" type stuff while continuing his usual shtick from the shadows. There's a lot of potential for comedy when the new evil V meets up with him too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know you guys have been panting for it even though you never discuss the comic anymore but you can see the Gobliiiiiiins guy drawing the comic LIVE: http://www.justin.tv/thunt (except not right now). At his normal rate of publishing I'm guessing that's about one line per 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
:siren: 607 :siren:

"Dill Resistence." Heh.