Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Disciple of Pain posted:

I have no idea, but I wouldn't do that anymore if I were you. If something is hosed up in the transfer case and the rear driveshaft is trying to move, you're lucky it didn't come off the stands. I've tested full time 4x4s similar to this but I would say a safer way is 4 wheels in the air, then engage the parking brake. I've also seen a guy I worked with use his bare hands, and then a block of wood to stop the wheels he wanted to stop on a Subaru. I looked up from the Jeep I was working on with amazement that he was about to grab a spinning tire without even nitrile gloves on. Anyway, it worked but it must have loving hurt because he use a 4x4 for the last 3 wheels. I forget what he was doing but he's a great mechanic (we were at a primative shop to put it mildly), ASE master, former rally mech, etc. I have no idea what he was thinking (he's also missing a piece of his finger from some other incident so I dunno).

Well I did have the parking brake on, but yeah next time I'm going to jack up all the wheels. It just boggles my mind that it doesn't want to turn the rear driveshaft when the wheels are pointed straight, however when they're turned it wants to. It makes no loving sense unless my out-there hypothesis is correct.

Also that sounds like a fun mechanic to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alright, who the hell is RyleyF over in the NAXJA forums. Posting the AI moniker in the HHO thread kind of gave it away. :v:

[edit] And who's mattbred posting speed and class. C'mon owe up. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 7, 2008

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

leica posted:

Alright, who the hell is RyleyF over in the NAXJA forums. Posting the AI moniker in the HHO thread kind of gave it away. :v:

Hahah I'm MattBred. I posted over there pretty much the same transerface issue I'm posting here. They don't like to answer too much though unless it's somethign like HHO.

Donnie Darko
Jul 25, 2002

MrZig posted:

Upgrade the wire harness so that it uses a relay and a thicker wire to the lights. If you don't, and you upgrade, you could have a fire hazzard. Apparently the stock wiring for the lights are crap and simply by upgrading the harness, you improve the stock light output.
Browsing around, just like you most people suggest upgrading the harness, but I also saw lots of recommendations to go to the Sylvania SilverStars which cost about $40 for both. I've found the SilverStars all over, but I can't find much information on harnesses except for build it yourself guides. If possible, I'd like to buy a premade kit, any suggestions where I can pick one up or what I should be searching for?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Donnie Darko posted:

Browsing around, just like you most people suggest upgrading the harness, but I also saw lots of recommendations to go to the Sylvania SilverStars which cost about $40 for both. I've found the SilverStars all over, but I can't find much information on harnesses except for build it yourself guides. If possible, I'd like to buy a premade kit, any suggestions where I can pick one up or what I should be searching for?

There's been several people interested in doing something, but I don't think there's any that are actually pre-made and ready, yet.

Edit: Could try PM'ing this guy: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=969949&highlight=harness

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
I think on jeepforum.com there is a company selling the headlight harness. Check the FAQs and stickies in the cherokee forum.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

leica posted:

Okay I confess, I'm RyleyF, what's up :cool:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Click here for the full 880x585 image.

I dunno about the cover in the back, but I think I like it.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
how many naxja members we got here?

flyboy4life
Nov 2, 2008
Im looking at an unlimited 05, with hard and bikini top, stock everything with a 6cyl manual. they are asking $14k which is about what KBB places it at. Can anyone tell me what, if any, maintenance problems i should look for? In other words, are there any type of recall issues with 05's or unlimited?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

how many naxja members we got here?

I've been a member there for about 4 or 5 years now, but I'll never pay to be a real "member" there. About 3 years ago I posted a picture of my Jeep with a NAXJA sticker in the window, which I paid for... and everyone there threw a loving shitfit because even though I had the sticker I wasn't a paying member. I hate that kind of elitism, it's just unnecessary.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
I have been on NAXJA for a few years. Paying member of jeepforum.com and a member of cherokeeforum.com.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Disciple of Pain posted:

His star is in the wrong place. Although some were in the "wrong" place when they were put on during the war, so whatever.

Yeah, here in Massachusetts antique vehicles can use license plates from the year of manufacture.

This one had a plate from 1942 on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been posting in NAXJA since I got my Cherokee, about a year. User name is Leica99XJ, you would have never known it was me. :ninja:

BTW RyleyF....er, I mean Jack_Handey, I got my tires mounted on the wheels and it actually looks pretty good, although I wish I would have went with 4.5 BS instead of 4, sticks out just a wee too much but it cool I guess. I'll post pics tomorrow. :)

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I am now the proud owner of a 96 grand cherokee laredo with the 5.2 150K miles and several HVAC issues but it all works just half rear end.

Pics and more details to come tomorrow.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
So how many here are near Uwharrie? With gas being somewhat down it wouldn't cost terribly much to drive there now. It'd be a long trip for VA goons, but SC wouldn't be a bad drive and I forget how many are IN NC but a trip to uwharrie for a meet and greet would be not bad, I just forget when the seasonal closure is. (DEC 15th - APR 1st)

Maybe a day trip.

anyone?

EDIT:

Or with planning, a weekend trip.

I'm not looking to make a COONGAMP, but if we planned we could wheel and/or FO Sat, camp, and leave Sunday, or wheel a bit then leave Sunday or whatever. I kkn ow some people don't like camping in the cold but if we could stir some interest we could make a small meet and have a pretty good time. I think.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 8, 2008

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'd love to take my mostly stock YJ whenever. I'm up in Richmond, VA, but the time I've gone without wheeling is getting embarrassing. I've had new 30" BFG A/Ts for almost a full year now without testing them :(. The local Jeep groups seem to want some kind of donation before they'll even talk about events, so I've never bothered to join.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

ManicJason posted:

I'd love to take my mostly stock YJ whenever. I'm up in Richmond, VA, but the time I've gone without wheeling is getting embarrassing. I've had new 30" BFG A/Ts for almost a full year now without testing them :(. The local Jeep groups seem to want some kind of donation before they'll even talk about events, so I've never bothered to join.

I took my old XJ when I had it and it did fine, plus theres always people in their new FJ cruisers, rovers, and other vehicles that I couldn't stand to scratch the paint on.

I've been loving off in a few places around me that generally consist of very small loops. One of the places has a nice huge rear end rock for me to practice climbing with a carb, which is stay on it until you're over it or you just flooded out.

Closure is Dec 15th which leaves 4 weeks, really 5 but that last week is usually PACKED. If we wanted we could sit on it for now and plan something in April when it opens back up.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

I've been to Uwharrie tons of times, it's really kid stuff, a stock XJ will make it through just fine with a good driver. I'm actually closer to Callalantee in Tennesee now though... that's a REAL off road park :)

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Jack_Handey posted:

I've been to Uwharrie tons of times, it's really kid stuff, a stock XJ will make it through just fine with a good driver. I'm actually closer to Callalantee in Tennesee now though... that's a REAL off road park :)

I was really really R E A L L Y thinking of dumping the YJ for a FJ Cruiser. I really like the FJ Cruiser, but when I watched some youtube videos of FJs at Uwharrie I rethought that plan. I don't ever worry abotu banging sheet metal or loving up the pain on my YJ, watching those videos made my rear end pucker. Similar with a JK, I don't think I could bring myself to beat the gently caress out of a vehicle I was making a 350 dollar + payment on.

So I've regained my thought processes and will keep the YJ and find me some sort high mPG DD.

Plus I think I've figured out where I'm getting the money from for the rear axle upgrade and suspension, so I can see some sort of light at the end of my project tunnel.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Stock FSJs will make it through Uwharrie. I've never been but I really want to go some time. My Waggy needs too much work to hit the trails now, so I wouldn't be able to take it until next year.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Stock FSJs will make it through Uwharrie. I've never been but I really want to go some time. My Waggy needs too much work to hit the trails now, so I wouldn't be able to take it until next year.

I saw one dude about gently caress his doors.

Well, like i said 4 weeks left this year, reopens april 1.

poo poo I could gently caress around and have new axles by then.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Fellas, I'm about to go about replacing the (shattered) rear hardtop window in my YJ.

My plan is to draw a template then cut it out of lexan, have any of you done this kind of thing or know guys that did it? Any tips or ideas would be welcome.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Can I use the tie rod boots on the drag link end? I don't see anything for a separate boot and the tie rod boots look similar, but they only come in pairs. They're only $3, but I don't want to get it off and find the new one doesn't quite fit. Also do I need to change it out on jack stands with the weight off the wheels, or can I just ramp it?

I can't believe some sites want $11 for S&H on a $3 part that can't weigh more than an ounce or two.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

FSJ's are ridiculously capable trucks. I saw a full size J10 on 33's with a detroit in the back crawl right up the hard line at Kodak rock. Rocks were going up under the frame where you couldn't see them but he got over it unscathed, it was incredible.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*

Legitimate posted:

Fellas, I'm about to go about replacing the (shattered) rear hardtop window in my YJ.

My plan is to draw a template then cut it out of lexan, have any of you done this kind of thing or know guys that did it? Any tips or ideas would be welcome.

Well, I'm about to go do this, and could use some feedback- basically is this a crazy idea:

Buy the Lexan at the Home Depot in town, I'm not going to get the expensive version used in race cars for this cheapo project. Use butcher paper to draw a template then overlay it and cut out with say a dremel with cutting bit? I also have a jigsaw. Then, I was going to drill the holes for the upper hinges on the roof. Thoughts?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Legitimate posted:

Well, I'm about to go do this, and could use some feedback- basically is this a crazy idea:

Buy the Lexan at the Home Depot in town, I'm not going to get the expensive version used in race cars for this cheapo project. Use butcher paper to draw a template then overlay it and cut out with say a dremel with cutting bit? I also have a jigsaw. Then, I was going to drill the holes for the upper hinges on the roof. Thoughts?
Are you buying Lexan (polycarbonate) or Perspex (acrylic)? You really want the former, it'll be a lot more durable. A metal-cutting blade in a jigsaw should cut it just fine.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I was really really R E A L L Y thinking of dumping the YJ for a FJ Cruiser. I really like the FJ Cruiser, but when I watched some youtube videos of FJs at Uwharrie I rethought that plan. I don't ever worry abotu banging sheet metal or loving up the pain on my YJ, watching those videos made my rear end pucker. Similar with a JK, I don't think I could bring myself to beat the gently caress out of a vehicle I was making a 350 dollar + payment on.

So I've regained my thought processes and will keep the YJ and find me some sort high mPG DD.

Plus I think I've figured out where I'm getting the money from for the rear axle upgrade and suspension, so I can see some sort of light at the end of my project tunnel.

I'm having trouble locating it at the moment but I have a photo of me driving my '06 TJ across a small river with the water almost up to the headlights. My Jeep had somewhere between 3 and 5000 miles on the odometer at the time. In fact, I wheeled my Jeep at both the old Paragon park before they closed and at Rausch creek prior to 20k (it has 27k now). My TJ is the first vehicle I've bought brand new, and at first I was worried about doing anything to the paint. However, 10 days after I first picked it up from the dealer I rear-ended an 18 wheeler (my fault). The insurance fixed it, but that really took the edge off. I was afraid to wheel it after that :). For the record I did blue trails at Paragon with only a 2" budget lift (stock tires) and it did remarkably well. I've since added a set of 32" BFG MTRs and did blue trails at Rausch with ease. Currently I'm looking for a slightly bigger lift. Eventually I want to get a 4-5" lift and run 33's, and add lockers front and rear. One of these days...

Anyone in the Baltimore area know of anywhere to legally wheel other than Rausch? I hear there are public trails at Green Ridge out near Sidling Hill, and there are a couple of trails at a state forest in VA...Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run but from what I've heard they cater more to ATVs and are kind of lame in a Jeep.

323LX fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 15, 2008

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

323LX posted:

I'm having trouble locating it at the moment but I have a photo of me driving my '06 TJ across a small river with the water almost up to the headlights. My Jeep had somewhere between 3 and 5000 miles on the odometer at the time. In fact, I wheeled my Jeep at both the old Paragon park before they closed and at Rausch creek prior to 20k (it has 27k now). My TJ is the first vehicle I've bought brand new, and at first I was worried about doing anything to the paint. However, 10 days after I first picked it up from the dealer I rear-ended an 18 wheeler (my fault). The insurance fixed it, but that really took the edge off. I was afraid to wheel it after that :). For the record I did blue trails at Paragon with only a 2" budget lift (stock tires) and it did remarkably well. I've since added a set of 32" BFG MTRs and did blue trails at Rausch with ease. Currently I'm looking for a slightly bigger lift. Eventually I want to get a 4-5" lift and run 33's, and add lockers front and rear. One of these days...

Anyone in the Baltimore area know of anywhere to legally wheel other than Rausch? I hear there are public trails at Green Ridge out near Sidling Hill, and there are a couple of trails at a state forest in VA...Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run but from what I've heard they cater more to ATVs and are kind of lame in a Jeep.

greenridge is the only legal place to wheel in MD. it kinda sucks.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

323LX posted:

My TJ is the first vehicle I've bought brand new, and at first I was worried about doing anything to the paint.

I feel your pain on this one - My JK Unlimited is the first vehicle I've ever bought new, and I took it wheeling with less than 1000km (500mi) on the odometer. Everytime I look at the scratches, I have to remind myself "It's a Jeep, that's what it's built for." At least it's black, so a little Tremclad goes a long way... :)

323LX
Feb 17, 2004

Gavitron posted:

I feel your pain on this one - My JK Unlimited is the first vehicle I've ever bought new, and I took it wheeling with less than 1000km (500mi) on the odometer. Everytime I look at the scratches, I have to remind myself "It's a Jeep, that's what it's built for." At least it's black, so a little Tremclad goes a long way... :)

Exactly. My Jeep has some trail "pinstriping" but no major damage. It comes with the territory. You can't do any real wheeling without leaving a mark somewhere.

Actually, I'll tell a quick story about my second time out wheeling my TJ. The first time I took it wheeling was at the big rally at Paragon. If you're not familiar with the park, it was a very large privately owned piece of land in eastern Pennsylvania that people had wheeled on illegally for years. A guy and his wife decided to formally lease the land from the owner and develop it into an offroad park. They had a 25 year lease and were only 3-4 years into it when the owner got an offer to buy the land for something like $30 million to develop a cargo airport, so he kicked the offroaders off the property. Initially they were to be evicted on a Monday in February (I forget the exact date) but the weekend before the owners (who were going to court to fight the eviction) held a huge rally where they didn't charge any admission and only accepted donations to support their legal fight. Well over 200 rigs showed up. My Jeep had less than 3k on the clock but I wanted to see Paragon before they closed so I made the trip and had a blast doing "green" (easy) trails. We couldn't try too much beyond that because the area got 4-6" of snow the night before.

So, to try and make the story shorter, the owners were granted an injunction by the court and weren't actually evicted for another 2-3 months after that. I had so much fun I wanted to go back a couple months later, but the rules were that you had to have at least 2 or 3 vehicles in your group in case someone got stuck or whatever, but I didn't know anybody else. So they had a messageboard on their website where you could meet people who wanted to go on the same day as you. So I posted and asked if anyone wanted to go on this particular saturday and do "Green trails, and possibly try a blue (intermediate) trail if the weather is decent". 3 or 4 people replied and said they were interested. So we met that Saturday at like 7am. I was in my bone stock TJ (other than a 2" RE budget lift, but I still had the stock 30" Goodyear GS-As) and was met with a guy in a stock TJ Rubicon, a guy in a Dodge Ramcharger with like a foot of lift, a guy in a pretty well built XJ and a guy in a mid 80s Toyota pickup with a huge lift. When I got out to introduce myself, they pretty much said "We're doing blues and blacks (expert) today, right?".

We did mostly mid to upper level blue trails all day and even with the crappy tires I was able to keep up. I was really afraid I'd be holding the group back but I was surprised. I did have an issue on a trail called "Rock Swamp" - basically you're wheeling up a creek littered with pretty good sized rocks for a quarter mile or so. There was one section where you had to navigate two big rocks. I was concerning myself with the first one so much that by the time I cleared it I was too close to the next one and couldn't see it from the driver's seat. I thought I knew where it was and I thought I was clear so I let the Jeep drop off the first rock and I caught the second one on the way down, put a pretty large dent in the factory t-case skidplate and cracked the oil pan. It still held oil pressure and I wheeled the rest of the day and made it home without incident, but it cost me like $300 to repair.

Here's a couple pictures of the trail in question.

And the aftermath:

Bonus pics!

Edit: I forgot the whole reason I started typing this post in the first place - anybody here wheeled at Green Ridge before? Do you need a permit? I know at the state forest in VA I mentioned earlier it says you need a permit (like $5 or so). Do you need a permit at Green Ridge or can you just go up and start wheeling? And how rough are the trails?

323LX fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 16, 2008

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

323LX posted:

Do you need a permit at Green Ridge or can you just go up and start wheeling? And how rough are the trails?

I believe its just an entrance fee, as for roughness, lets just say a minivan has gone through it before. Its just basically a firetrail.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

323LX posted:

Here's a couple pictures of the trail in question.

I've got a stupid question; when you're that deep in water, does the cabin fill up too? While I'd love to ford a 3' river, I'm loathe to flood my jeep. (At least until it's 5 years old, and line-x'd)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gavitron posted:

I've got a stupid question; when you're that deep in water, does the cabin fill up too? While I'd love to ford a 3' river, I'm loathe to flood my jeep. (At least until it's 5 years old, and line-x'd)
If you've got a bit of a bow wave, it creates a trough behind the bumper that helps stop you filling the engine bay or interior with water. See how the level dips down near the door? It takes a certain amount of time for the water to get past the door seals etc anyway - get stuck any you'll slowly find your feet getting damp. And this is not fun.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

If you've got a bit of a bow wave, it creates a trough behind the bumper that helps stop you filling the engine bay or interior with water. See how the level dips down near the door? It takes a certain amount of time for the water to get past the door seals etc anyway - get stuck any you'll slowly find your feet getting damp. And this is not fun.

So "easing into" a creek would be a bad idea...? I think I will wait a few years before attempting a river crossing such as this then. :/ I've not yet had enough practice in an expendable vehicle to try something like this in my new baby.

But man that looks like fun.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004

Gavitron posted:

So "easing into" a creek would be a bad idea...? I think I will wait a few years before attempting a river crossing such as this then. :/ I've not yet had enough practice in an expendable vehicle to try something like this in my new baby.

But man that looks like fun.

It was fun :). But actually I got no water in the cabin in the crossing pictured above. Later in the day we went through a really deep mud/water pit and I got a little bit of water in the passenger side but it wasn't bad (I actually didn't even notice it at the time).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Gavitron posted:

"Easing in" as in not driving in at 40 miles an hour is fine and desirable. You want to be reasonable and maintain forward motion. You can even gradually accelerate as you're going in slowly; you just don't want to decelerate or (God help you) stop.

If your idea of easing in is going partway in, stopping to wring your hands, and repeating... you'll be wet.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

If your idea of easing in is going partway in, stopping to wring your hands, and repeating... you'll be wet.

Maybe not "wring my hands," but certainly "check for obstacles"... :/

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Blasting into water can cause it to surge up against the grill and then your air intake is sucking that poo poo in, then you're hydro-locked. No fun there. And if you have a manual, try not to shift, especially in muddy crap.

Just picked up a stock '99 Cherokee to replace my stolen YJ. Immaculate interior; some minor urban blemishes. Planning on a 5.5"+ long-arm kit, alloy shafts, SYE and 35's to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

Philip J Fry posted:

Blasting into water can cause it to surge up against the grill and then your air intake is sucking that poo poo in, then you're hydro-locked. No fun there. And if you have a manual, try not to shift, especially in muddy crap.

Just picked up a stock '99 Cherokee to replace my stolen YJ. Immaculate interior; some minor urban blemishes. Planning on a 5.5"+ long-arm kit, alloy shafts, SYE and 35's to start off.

She's a beauty! what's an SYE though?