Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

"Black Bo[X posted:

"]
This thread has inspired me to finally clean up my desk.

Before:

After:

As a side note I hate my desk and now that I'm no longer a broke-rear end student I'm looking for a nicer one.

Out of curiosity could we see your new cable management?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universal ReMonster
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, you could poke him with a pillow and kill him
super plain walmart desk, nothing special at all about my setup, sigh

Click here for the full 1076x807 image.

Living like poo poo

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!

georanma posted:

el oh el @ your case

The best part is what's not pictured is another fan of equal size to the one in the front of the case, and I've drilled holes in the side of the desk so that it could function effectively.

Can you tell I've had issues with overheating in the past?

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Universal ReMonster posted:

super plain walmart desk, nothing special at all about my setup, sigh

Living like poo poo

sup case buddy?:hfive:

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

bob arctor posted:

What if he just disconnected everything? :iiam:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 5, 2008

Universal ReMonster
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, you could poke him with a pillow and kill him

Mugmoor posted:

sup case buddy?:hfive:

yeah, works pretty well, can't complain!

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

bob arctor posted:

Everything is still hooked up, it's not too pretty but at least it's hidden now. It's kind of cheating because I have a ledge running along the wall behind my desk which the cables are sitting on. They're looped over an empty CD spindle and kept in check with lots of zap straps.

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 5, 2008

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I envy those of you with your own personal space at work. The 12 people in my department have always had to share 4 (now 5) cubicles. Not at the same time though, unless we have the summer student working, but I doubt we'll be able to do that with the tiny rear end cubicles we have now. These new ones are easily 1/3rd the size of the ones we had across the parking lot in another building.

Every single person in the building we work in now has their own similarly sized cubicle or a larger office all to themselves while our department gets shafted. I get if they were in charge of our funeral arrangements they would have us sharing a coffin.

Here's my desk at home.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

live on campus in a pretty decent apartment.

taken at night so not the best quality, but i like my setup... works really well for me. when i'm developing i make the linux vm go dual monitors and its loving sexy.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

ScaryFast posted:

Here's my desk at home.

What kind of desk is this and who makes it, I have the same one and I want more wire hanger things for it, but have no idea where to get them as I got the desk second hand.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

rubbersoul posted:

What kind of desk is this and who makes it, I have the same one and I want more wire hanger things for it, but have no idea where to get them as I got the desk second hand.

The famous Jerker desk from Ikea. Its out of production now. It might be tough to find accessories for it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rubbersoul posted:

Are you talking about these:

strwrsxprt posted:

I need to go to Ikea and pick up a pair of these to get my cables off of the ground, unless someone has a better suggestion.
Because I just picked up a pair not too long ago. Ikea still sells 'em.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

hobolooter posted:

live on campus in a pretty decent apartment.

taken at night so not the best quality, but i like my setup... works really well for me. when i'm developing i make the linux vm go dual monitors and its loving sexy.

Ok, my curiosity is perked: what is the emergency button for?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Luminous posted:

Ok, my curiosity is perked: what is the emergency button for?

Rape

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

strwrsxprt posted:

Are you talking about these:

Because I just picked up a pair not too long ago. Ikea still sells 'em.

No they make little file folder hangers that go into the rows of holes that run up the sides of the desk.

Lo_Pan
Nov 5, 2008
loving HUGE IMAGES WITH GOATSE REMOVED

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales
Jesus dude, pics big and grainy enough??

That aside, sounds like you've got a sweet PC box. 2x GTX260's though? I've got one and that destroys everything i've tried.

VVV Yeah, i guess. If you've got the cash to splash an all that. VVV

wigbot v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 6, 2008

Lo_Pan
Nov 5, 2008

Mr.Wiggles posted:

Jesus dude, pics big and grainy enough??

That aside, sounds like you've got a sweet PC box. 2x GTX260's though? I've got one and that destroys everything i've tried.

Yeah sorry about the grainies, I only recently got a real camera. Had been using lovely phone cameras before then, which invariably perform lovely in low light.

I got two GTX260s because I wanted to run three screens, and at the time I had an 8800GTS 640MB, and wanted a GTX260 but the drivers for the two were not compatible. They are now though. So I decided to just get two 260s.

syphon^2
Sep 22, 2004
way to goatse all of us.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

samoth posted:

To everyone with multiple computers and monitors running 24/7/365: what do your electric bills look like?

I live with 4 other people. We have a bunch of computers.

6 desktops on 24/7. There are 9 monitors across them.
2 Laptops that are on 24/7
2 Laptop that are on 16/5 24/2 when we work
1 Laptop that's only on when one guy wants to jerk off or play WoW in his bedroom.
An EEE PC on 24/7 that I should probably turn off but I never do.

We also have a pool filter, which runs once a day for like an hour.

Our electric bill is usually $350-450 a month.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

renraku posted:

Rape

Yeah I dunno what happens if you push it though.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

wow you guys have clean desks.

My computer is the little white box you see there. For some reason my parents decided to buy me a Mac Mini instead of a normal PC. It's alright, but I generally dislike Apple products -_-. Hopefully I can get a PC soon, just need to acquire the budget.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 7, 2008

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ironsights42 posted:

wow you guys have clean desks.

My computer is the little white box you see there. For some reason my parents decided to buy me a Mac Mini instead of a normal PC. It's alright, but I generally dislike Apple products -_-. Hopefully I can get a PC soon, just need to acquire the budget.

Good god man. Fix your desktop Icon transparency!

Isbiten
Oct 23, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

Our electric bill is usually $350-450 a month.

Is it worth it? Because turning off the computers when you're sleeping would save a lot. Can't you have one computer on 24/7 if you need a server.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Isbiten posted:

Is it worth it? Because turning off the computers when you're sleeping would save a lot. Can't you have one computer on 24/7 if you need a server.

Well, I guess you save on heating :D

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Isbiten posted:

Between the 5 roommates, 3 of us have our own music/movie collections on our own computers (mine is across 2 machines with smaller hard drives :(), which we all share so we can stream them to eachother's speakers/screens, or play them on any of the three xboxes in the house. It's easier to leave these on all the time, rather than try to play some music in the living room and have the server be offline.

There's also one server in that mix that's on 24/7, so that's another that needs to stay on. Total of 5 deskops.

The other desktop could probably be powered down every night.

The EEE PC I never use for anything really, and should be off.

MY GIRLFRIEND and I use our laptops for work, and they're both on / connected to VPN all the time when at home. It's easier to just leave it on at night so I wake up and check all my emails quickly. I guess we could turn these off too.

My friend leaves his Macbook on all the time. Not sure if he has to.

The other laptop is just a "community t30" in the living room for VNC / Remote Desktop really, and we just leave it on and plugged in most times.

We're all "professionals" working in Silicon Valley, so $70-80 each a month for power isn't unreasonable. If you want to hear unreasonable, we have 2 internet connections in the house.

ZaInT
Jul 21, 2004

I don't eat meat because it tastes good, I do it because I hate animals

Inverse Icarus posted:

Between the 5 roommates, 3 of us have our own music/movie collections on our own computers (mine is across 2 machines with smaller hard drives :(), which we all share so we can stream them to eachother's speakers/screens, or play them on any of the three xboxes in the house. It's easier to leave these on all the time, rather than try to play some music in the living room and have the server be offline.

There's also one server in that mix that's on 24/7, so that's another that needs to stay on. Total of 5 deskops.

MY GIRLFRIEND and I use our laptops for work, and they're both on / connected to VPN all the time when at home. It's easier to just leave it on at night so I wake up and check all my emails quickly. I guess we could turn these off too.

The other laptop is just a "community t30" in the living room for VNC / Remote Desktop really, and we just leave it on and plugged in most times.

We're all "professionals" working in Silicon Valley, so $70-80 each a month for power isn't unreasonable. If you want to hear unreasonable, we have 2 internet connections in the house.

As someone posted, put the music on a server and shut of the three computers.
Also, two internet connections wtf?

Open Source Whore
Apr 26, 2007
Shiny

Inverse Icarus posted:

Aggregate the media onto a low-power box, look at an MSI Wind barebone, with a lot of USB drives. My solution for a few years was a Linksys NSLU-2. Running debian, I can use it for an SSH gateway, NFS server, CIFS, Apache, you name it. Great, and takes less than 5 watts.

Try some suspend-to-RAM for all the desktops/laptops. You won't draw nearly as much electricity, and wakeup time is nearly instant(2 seconds). I would not buy a laptop if I couldn't suspend-to-RAM it.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
This be my setup:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I got sick of my Ikea desk so I went to a local hardwood supplier and bought a 25"x72" maple desktop slab and put it on top of two maple filing cabinets I bought a while back.

The result is a desk finally large enough to accommodate four screens at one time and is made of solid wood throughout:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/e8/e89b174e15620ec887888e5b2f4ce6fb5142e526.jpg

I still have to change out the stock hardware on the cabinets and put the monitors on mounts (two of these). The first 22" monitor is hooked up to an HDMI switchbox so I can swap between the PC (which usually runs XBMC) and an Xbox360 I'm getting soon.

Each cabinet has a frame into which I can slide a piece of pegboard. I zip-tied my networking equipment, power strips, power bricks, and everything else to the pegboard. Most of the cabling runs behind the pegboard.

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

15.4" 1920x1200
2.2GHz Core 2 Duo
1.5GB RAM
120GB HD

Everything I need :)

qlat fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 9, 2008

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

qlat posted:

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

15.4" 1920x1200
2.2GHz Core 2 Duo
1.5GB RAM
120GB HD

Everything I need :)

What's with the wings?

Dean!
Jan 31, 2005

I own the finest and most complete collection of Super Mario based art in the South.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I need to vacuum.

MacBook Pro
iPhone
Logitech Bluetooth mouse
Logitech Z4 speakers with control module
FireWire hard drive for Time Machine
Notebook & pen
Dell 2005fpw LCD
Apple aluminum keyboard
DSL modem & Linksys WRT54G running Tomato
Custom built Linux server
Dell laptop (not mine, just setting it up for someone)
Pen & pencil holder, mail sorter

Actually, after looking at this, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that my server is in the middle when I'm using the Mac 98% of the time. But I do like having the light from the window right behind it.

edit: This has inspired me to rearrange a bit. The white cord over to the right of the server is a USB extension for the Apple Keyboard. When the keyboard is over on the side, it's connected to the server. When it's centered, it's connected straight to the Mac. The Dell LCD is connected to the server with VGA, and to the Mac with DVI, and a toggle button on the front switches between inputs. And right after taking this, I connected the Mac's audio output to my Logitech speaker control module input.

It was just a shame to not use the LCD, keyboard, and speakers more, so thanks thread!

gregday fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 9, 2008

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Dean! posted:

I own the finest and most complete collection of Super Mario based art in the South.

Where did you get those mario prints?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

gregday posted:

It was just a shame to not use the LCD, keyboard, and speakers more, so thanks thread!

Why not put the fileserver on the floor so you're not taking up desk space with a huge box? It'll also look a lot cleaner.

KingJacob
May 21, 2008

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

KingJacob posted:

Just curious is that a hackintosh or are you just a phony?

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

KingJacob posted:

:woop:HP
I've added a second monitor (free from work) for poo poo I don't want on my main display but like to see: Music,BT client, system info, etc...

Ah gently caress, I labeled it too small... gently caress it

MW posted:

What's with the wings?

Flying laptop, Brah!

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ScaryFast posted:

These new ones are easily 1/3rd the size of the ones we had across the parking lot in another building.
Line up a new job and ask for an office!

ZaInT posted:

Also, two internet connections wtf?
It really sucks having to come in to work because your shitass broadband doesn't work.
At least it did for me.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 9, 2008