Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

http://www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

Your second point stands but a fair amount of burzum sucks for the same reasons.

Maybe there's more to black metal than what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Morbid Florist posted:

http://www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

Your second point stands but a fair amount of burzum sucks for the same reasons.

amesoeurs and that whole french thing has ton of cred though

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Dyna Soar posted:

Maybe there's more to black metal than what you like.

hipster spotted

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
Heh, Ruines Humaines was probably my favorite 2006 release.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
So, anyone else going to Horna tomorrow in Tampa?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Morbid Florist posted:

Black metal isn't supposed to put you to sleep.

Then I wouldn't call Amesoeurs BM either. There are elements of BM in their music, but it not fall under the black metal umbrella. There, everybody is happy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Oh please. There are elements of post-punk in their sound, but the foundation is undeniably black metal.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What do you call The Angelic Process?

Not black metal, surely.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kaiho posted:

What do you call The Angelic Process?

Not black metal, surely.

They call their music ambient drone metal, go figure.

It's the saddest loving thing that K. Angylus died in june. RIP.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

It's the saddest loving thing that K. Angylus died in june. RIP.

He killed himself.

Mordekai posted:

Then I wouldn't call Amesoeurs BM either. There are elements of BM in their music, but it not fall under the black metal umbrella. There, everybody is happy.

The same exact thing was said about ved buens ende 12 years ago. Its like when hip hop people say something isnt "real".

This is the reason death metal sort of stagnated from the mid 90s to mid 00s. People wouldnt accept change so it was a bunch of bands repeating themselves or emulating someone else. At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

I was writing BM zines in the mid to late 90s and it seemed so full of potential and now its starting to seriously stagnate for various reasons but records will continue to be released because its an industry now. I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

DB_Cooper fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 12, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DB_Cooper posted:

He killed himself.

Yeah I know, such a shame.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

DB_Cooper posted:

At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

If incorporating shoegaze and pop rock into black metal is all that will save it, hand me a box of nails and a hammer to drive the coffin shut. I'd rather see it die completely than go where death metal has.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

If incorporating shoegaze and pop rock into black metal is all that will save it, hand me a box of nails and a hammer to drive the coffin shut. I'd rather see it die completely than go where death metal has.
I don't think anybody other than rabid fans has ever implied that anyone is trying to "save" anything. It's a bunch of dudes writing music for the sake of writing music.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

So black metal is just a niche music genre for you and you arent interested in keeping it going because of personal taste...

You a singular person want to dictate how the entire genre sounds because its what you'd like to listen to? Tens of thousands of people are contributing to the genre but your opinion is more important.

I've been on multiple sides of the genre from writing zines when i was kid, making crappy music and helping Joe C. with vendlus so maybe my view is different.

Or are you just young and naive?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Look, it's a shame that most of the traditional Norwegian black metal bands have died out, but at least the fine strapping lads of Orange County have stepped up to deliver quality black metal in their absence.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

I don't think anybody other than rabid fans has ever implied that anyone is trying to "save" anything. It's a bunch of dudes writing music for the sake of writing music.

That's fine and dandy but that doesn't remove them from the bounds of criticism

DB_Cooper posted:

So black metal is just a niche music genre for you and you arent interested in keeping it going because of personal taste...

You a singular person want to dictate how the entire genre sounds because its what you'd like to listen to? Tens of thousands of people are contributing to the genre but your opinion is more important.

I've been on multiple sides of the genre from writing zines when i was kid, making crappy music and helping Joe C. with vendlus so maybe my view is different.

Or are you just young and naive?

Right anyone who doesn't agree with you MUST be a teenager :rolleyes:
I'm old and idealistic.

Black metal's entire purpose was to make music that wasn't accessible, but was raw, violent, as a push back against the watering down death metal took after it caught on. Basically what I see happening is that black metal is being led to slaughter of mediocrity and accessibility like death was.

I personally think what's happening to BM, in this regard, is giving birth to black metal's metalcore and/or rap metal equivalent.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2008

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Right anyone who doesn't agree with you MUST be a teenager :rolleyes:
I'm old and idealistic.

Black metal's entire purpose was to make music that wasn't accessible, but was raw, violent, as a push back against the watering down death metal took after it caught on. Basically what I see happening is that black metal is being led to slaughter of mediocrity and accessibility like death was.

I personally think what's happening to BM, in this regard, is giving birth to black metal's metalcore and/or rap metal equivalent.

Aren't you the guy who always complains about elitists in the other threads?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Aren't you the guy who always complains about elitists in the other threads?

Usually just your elitism ;)
But point taken. Maybe the worm has turned for me and I've become what I used to hate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

That happened a decade ago when Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Old Man's Child cracked the Hot Topic scene. It has nothing to do with the post-rock/shoegaze influences creeping in nowadays.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

There was plenty of weird noise/power electronics/industrial in scandinavia during the early 90s. I dont think being inaccessible was the purpose really unless you mean inaccessible in the sense that it wasnt played well.

Most of the 2nd wave bands dont even sound similar. Burzums first couple albums sound almost like its derived from punk aside from the vocals. Mayhem was very drum oriented in its sound, lots of blast beats and generally chaotic drumming. Darkthrone were the first to tap the whole mono kvlt sound all the kids love today.

Of course this isnt nearly all the bands but the point is that there was no unified sound. This allowed bands like ulver to exist and in turn make the scene even less unified in sound which allowed bands like arcturus and ved buens ende to exist etc etc. This isnt a new concept in black metal but rather a gradual and natural progression which took place once people became more proficient in writing/playing music.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think people who complain about the so called hipster black metal bands are just bitter that black metal isn't the super secret club they somehow think it used to be. People who aren't die hard into it are starting to listen to bm and show up on gigs (and making it, to some extent) and old fans are looking down their noses at them. I say this because bands like Wolves In The Throne Room, Krallice, Menace Ruine or whatever bands you guys think have hipster appeal don't really stand out in any other way except that they've had wider coverage outside the usual metal circles.

The same has happened to basically every niche genre. Most of them survived, black metal will too.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 13, 2008

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Brown Jenkins deserves more exposure, go listen to that poo poo

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

DB_Cooper posted:

I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

You either have pickier tastes than I do or you haven't been listening to enough music. Unless you're referring to black metal, which has been pretty lackluster for the past couple years. Death metal and traditional doom have made a bit of a rise on my radar in the past couple years.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Qu Appelle posted:

And they're going to get rightfully screwed in a little bit; I looked at Peter Beste's MySpace, and there's a 2nd Edition of the book being printed as we speak! :dance:

You can order it directly from there, as well.

...which is what I'm going to have to do.

:black101: book update:

Barnes and Noble has it as 'out of stock', and can't send it to me. So I'm cancelling the order.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

I think people who complain about the so called hipster black metal bands are just bitter that black metal isn't the super secret club they somehow think it used to be. People who aren't die hard into it are starting to listen to bm and show up on gigs (and making it, to some extent) and old fans are looking down their noses at them. I say this because bands like Wolves In The Throne Room, Krallice, Menace Ruine or whatever bands you guys think have hipster appeal don't really stand out in any other way except that they've had wider coverage outside the usual metal circles.

Nah, you're totally misunderstanding the hate they get.

It's not solely because they're getting exposure - it's because they're getting exposure and they don't deserve it over other bands. I personally would not have a problem with, say, Necros Christos getting shitloads of coverage and fans, because they're doing something that really merits attention and they're very good at it.

You're also going to get a lot of people who hate these bands purely because they are North American. The US scene in particular has been regarded as a complete joke for over a decade now and even now almost every release from it that is hyped is generally derisory, so it's quite easy to almost automatically disregard these bands.

I've never complained about Akitsa and Inquisition getting some press - because I think the bands merit attention.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Nah, you're totally misunderstanding the hate they get.

It's not solely because they're getting exposure - it's because they're getting exposure and they don't deserve it over other bands. I personally would not have a problem with, say, Necros Christos getting shitloads of coverage and fans, because they're doing something that really merits attention and they're very good at it.

You're also going to get a lot of people who hate these bands purely because they are North American. The US scene in particular has been regarded as a complete joke for over a decade now and even now almost every release from it that is hyped is generally derisory, so it's quite easy to almost automatically disregard these bands.

I've never complained about Akitsa and Inquisition getting some press - because I think the bands merit attention.

Yeah that's what I keep hearing, but it doesn't really explain it fully since the whole genre has benefited from the exposure, at least sales wise. I'm pretty sure that most people who found black metal via say WITTR have looked for similar stuff, and maybe ended up buying the less well known bands. Also I think that WITTR or Krallice are a lot more accessible than Akitsa or Horna or Behexen or whatever you think is "real" black metal and thus deserve wider coverage. Then again I could in no way be considered a black metal purist, and to be honest the lo-fi, uber kvlt stuff bores me somewhat.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah that's what I keep hearing, but it doesn't really explain it fully since the whole genre has benefited from the exposure, at least sales wise. I'm pretty sure that most people who found black metal via say WITTR have looked for similar stuff, and maybe ended up buying the less well known bands.

From what I've seen, this is not the case. Anecdotal, and easily disregarded of course, but the vast majority of those I've encountered who have listened to these bands based purely on hype from outside sources have not listened to anything other than that which has been spoon-fed to them.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

DB_Cooper posted:

The same exact thing was said about ved buens ende 12 years ago. Its like when hip hop people say something isnt "real".

This is the reason death metal sort of stagnated from the mid 90s to mid 00s. People wouldnt accept change so it was a bunch of bands repeating themselves or emulating someone else. At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

I was writing BM zines in the mid to late 90s and it seemed so full of potential and now its starting to seriously stagnate for various reasons but records will continue to be released because its an industry now. I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

I think you misunderstand me. Though I won't call Amesoeurs BM, doesn't mean it's not better than 80% of the "true" BM that's released today. A lot of people today are creating new music by mixing genres rather than limiting themselves adhering to a set of arbitrary rules. The reason black metal was so powerful during the first and second wave was that it hadn't been done that many times before.

People doesn't mix other genres into BM to "save" it. they create new music.

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

Black metal's entire purpose bla-blah-blah.

Really? There seem to be many bands who disagrees with you. what makes you an authority? If BM bands evolve in a certain direction you don't like, then thats your problem. Being upset because everything doesn't sound like 1994 anymore is a bit stupid to say the least.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Nasty Kerm posted:

Really? There seem to be many bands who disagrees with you. what makes you an authority? If BM bands evolve in a certain direction you don't like, then thats your problem. Being upset because everything doesn't sound like 1994 anymore is a bit stupid to say the least.

Many bands seem to think death/metalcore is a-ok too but that doesn't make them right.

If you don't like my opinion don't look at it.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 13, 2008

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

Many bands seem to think death/metalcore is a-ok too but that doesn't make them right.

Because you say so?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nasty Kerm posted:

Because you say so?

Yes he's the scene police (although I agree with him on metalcore and death).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Except that Coalesce and Botch are awesome :colbert:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Except that Coalesce and Botch are awesome :colbert:

Yeah I love Converge, Integrity, Earth Crisis and Botch are good too. They're all from the 90s though.

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

Yes he's the scene police (although I agree with him on metalcore and death).

I think bands should have the freedom to do what ever they want without besserweizers trashing them for it. Cant say I like the new Dimmu borgir sound( I hate it), but they were once pioneers of Norwegian black metal and I respect them for that. If they want to move in a certain direction then thats ok by me. Its their choice. They don't have to prove anything as far as I'm concerned. Same goes with Satyricon.

These bands, they evolved. They got married and got kids etc, and it had an impact on their music.

edit : Personally. I think NBM will die out in a about a decades time.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Nasty Kerm posted:

I think bands should have the freedom to do what ever they want without besserweizers trashing them for it. Cant say I like the new Dimmu borgir sound( I hate it), but they were once pioneers of Norwegian black metal and I respect them for that. If they want to move in a certain direction then thats ok by me. Its their choice. They don't have to prove anything as far as I'm concerned. Same goes with Satyricon.

These bands, they evolved. They got married and got kids etc, and it had an impact on their music.

edit : Personally. I think NBM will die out in a about a decades time.

"true norwegian black metal" has been dead since 2000

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mordekai posted:

I think Gorgoroth is one of the few classic bands still keeping it going. Darkthrone rules still but they're not doing the same poo poo anymore. Everyone else has either shifted styles, broken up, or lost their edge and paint by number now.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mordekai posted:

that late?

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I think Gorgoroth is one of the few classic bands still keeping it going.

Aren't there two Gorgoroths now? Aren't they in a battle over whether Gaahl and King can use the name or whether the name resides with Infernus? Black Metal dramarama etc?

And the 'Black Metal is DEAD!1!!!1' thing is so old.

And that 'once a band has more than 50 people liking them and they start selling CDs they have Sold Out and are not true Black Metal anymore' is another thing that is real boring and old too.

But then again - I like Symphonic Norwegian Black Metal, which isn't 'Kvlt' or 'Tru' Black Metal enough, or so I have been told by those who like to think of themselves as the elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

666sinders666 posted:

And that 'once a band has more than 50 people liking them and they start selling CDs they have Sold Out and are not true Black Metal anymore' is another thing that is real boring and old too.

No one's like that, it's only butthurt fans of major bands who use that as a defense mechanism.