Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnpikeLad
Feb 12, 2007

ghost in bucket

Cyne posted:

You can adjust latency in Preferences > Audio.

Blinn posted:

I used to have this problem with both Reason and Live and it drove me nuts. If what Cyne said doesn't work (which it didn't for me), try using ASIO drivers instead of whatever your default drivers are.

Grab Asio4All from http://www.asio4all.com/ and run the install, then go to Options-> Preferences, go to the Audio tab, change driver type to ASIO and pick one of those drivers (not sure which one will work with your setup.. for me, I use an M-Audio Audio interface so I picked the M-Audio one)

Hope this helps!

Reducing latency worked just fine for me! What's a good guideline for how far to adjust those sliders? I can make my buffer size really small before hearing any static - is there any reason to keep my buffers larger than the smallest I can go without hearing static?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
No, that's pretty much it. Bear in mind that you'll run into more problems with crackles and pops as you put more load on your cpu so while your latency might be fine now for noodling around in just a synth as your songs get more complex you may have to readjust.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I got a copy of Snoman's 2nd edition and it looks really good, thanks for the recommendation whoever it was.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been working on a new one this week. Took some time off the last one because I couldnt do anything on it I was happy with, need to clear my mind of it for a little while.

It's called 'Take me home (I dont feel too good)'
It was originally just take me home, but I tried to work on it while I was hungover and after an hour the bassline made me feel like I was going to be sick so I added the subtext.
It's just the first 2 minutes to play around with the beat and getting everything to sit right.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been working on a new one this week. Took some time off the last one because I couldnt do anything on it I was happy with, need to clear my mind of it for a little while.

It was originally just take me home, but I tried to work on it while I was hungover and after an hour the bassline made me feel like I was going to be sick so I added the subtext.
It's just the first 2 minutes to play around with the beat and getting everything to sit right.

Production wise it sounds really great, a very calming song too. I think the chorus (effect) could be a bit less on some stuff, but that sinking bassline feels great.

I've been working too lately, trying to work some breaks into my music after listening to quite a bit of Fake Blood. It's still quite a sketch, the transitions I'm not happy with, but I'd like to know which elements of it you guys like.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 8, 2008

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Here's my latest track. I posted a clip of it a couple of months ago ago but now it's finally complete. Definitely inspired by some psybient dub i've been listening to.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

sounds like well produced minimal i suppose, that one sound you keep repeating is what drove me to turn it off without listening to the whole thing. it was highly annoying the 200th time i heard it. other that it sounded alright tho.

IanTheM posted:

Production wise it sounds really great, a very calming song too. I think the chorus (effect) could be a bit less on some stuff, but that sinking bassline feels great.

I've been working too lately, trying to work some breaks into my music after listening to quite a bit of Fake Blood. It's still quite a sketch, the transitions I'm not happy with, but I'd like to know which elements of it you guys like.

that sounded terrible and it sounded like a 17 year old made it in fruityloops, sorry. the snares sound really stupid and the whole song sounds like you made it in about 30 minutes. sorry im being so tough on it, but it this is constructive criticism. also, most of the sounds sould like presets off this roland synth i have from 1981. again, sorry for the brutality of this, but if you going to post it up, im going to tell you what i think.

Ben and Stew posted:

Here's my latest track. I posted a clip of it a couple of months ago ago but now it's finally complete. Definitely inspired by some psybient dub i've been listening to.

sounds good, maybe a little tinny sounding with mixing? could just be me. i think if you trance gated the sound that comes in with the highhats(maybe it is the highhats?) about halfway to the breakdown it would add some movement. also, the break down sounds like its going to be some epic face smashing breakdown, but its a pretty huge let down, so you may want to work on that. other than that it sounds nice, although i think some automation will really liven it up and make it sound ALOT more pro.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

oredun posted:

sorry im being so tough on it, but it this is constructive criticism.

It really isn't.

Mine would be - did you mean for everything to sound not quite in-time? Is it all played in live? And why bring in/take away so many elements that don't really fit together?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

IanTheM posted:

Replace the 808 claps with natural ones; in fact, only let the kick be the synthetic drum part. Everything sounds a bit stilted - the drums are not well-matched and some parts are overquantized.

See The New Deal who do it right; you have to put that groove in your drums to make it work.

quote:

And why bring in/take away so many elements that don't really fit together?
This, too. Start building things, don't demolish sandcastles.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

oredun posted:

sounds like well produced minimal i suppose, that one sound you keep repeating is what drove me to turn it off without listening to the whole thing. it was highly annoying the 200th time i heard it. other that it sounded alright tho.

Yeah, scrapped that now. Wanted more direction and I found it hard to bring it in, and I realised that it was because I had too much notable sound in the first section. That comes in very rarely now, trying to work in a build to a 4x repeat of it and just using it as dynamics rather than beat. Came with the arpeg of the bassline, so it stuck from the start.

Good to know its worth work. I just need to do a loving breakdown now...

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

cubicle gangster posted:

drat, this is right up my alley. Fantastic work.

I really didn't mind the repetition of that one sound, the drums and bass felt fluid enough to keep me interested throughout the clip. I'd love to hear the finished version when it's ready.

china
Aug 2, 2008
Finished off my newest song!
Made it for a Liveset i am working on with my mate, we're called 'Katana & Kabana' and we do a lot of techno/deephouse style'd music.
We give all our music away for free, you can burn it to as many cd's as you like and send it to your friends!

We are based in Melbourne, Australia. We only formed out project a month ago and this is our first completed single track. But we have many exclusive tracks in our liveset that you will have to come and see when we play for all you melbournien goons!

Hope you enjoy :)

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Sorry for interrupting the whole peer-review session going on here (hopefully I'll have some songs of my own worthy of uploading here) but I'm stuck on choosing a control surface.

I currently have a serviceable keyboard with not many features aside from pitch/mod wheels, USB out, and, well, keys. So, I'm not really looking for anything where the selling point is the keyboard - I mostly just need a really good set of faders, knobs, buttons blah blah. An option with no keyboard at all would be nice, but if the best option out there has a small 25 note keyboard on it or something, that's OK by me, since it's almost a given that most of these things at least come with a dinky keyboard. I use Reason almost exclusively, if that helps.

Either way though, I'm looking for something in the $400-and-under range. The Novation ReMOTE sounds pretty awesome if only for its ability to automatically adapt its MIDI configuration to whatever system you have going, which definitely sounds good to me, but I dunno if it's actually, well, good, since it's fairly new. The feature set looked really good to me though, particularly on the ZeRO SL model. I also noticed the Axiom in the OP, is that a really popular choice? I remember when Reason was first coming out everybody was going on and on about their cute little Oxygen 8s but those have far too few knobs/parameters to work with really.

So, any suggestions?

china
Aug 2, 2008
SpecialAgentCooper:

I have a Novation Remote SL Zero, it's the version without the keybord attatched to it.
The faders on it are really nice and don't feel that flimsy, they are very smooth and have a fair bit of friction so they take a little bit of effort to move them which makes it very nice to use! the LCD on it is amazing, updates so quickly and very very bright.
The 9 pads on the remote SL's are not very good though, they aren't very responsive and you really do have to give them a really big whack for them to activate. and being in the position that they are- it;s just difficult to hit them properly specially during a liveset.
The automated mapping software is very easy to use and is quite useful although i don't use the automated mapping as there are quite a few annoying things about it which i wont get into.
I high recommend it if you are not looking for something with a keyboard.

If you want a keybord, i'd have to recommend the Akai MPK-49.
I've used one many times and they are on my to-buy list when i have the money,
the keys are semi-weighted and feel quite natural. the knobs and faders are very nice on ti aswell, although akai don't have any automapping technology- it is very easy to program midi channels on all the knobs and faders with it's LCD screen.

defiantly check out a good music shop and try the products out first. any decent dj shop will have them on display.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Can Ableton handle MIDI information from 2 separate USB devices at the same time?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
can anybody recommend me a nice online source for good 'tribal' hand drum, bongo, conga, etc samples? Or a good sample collection with those kinds of instruments?

china
Aug 2, 2008

Elder posted:

Can Ableton handle MIDI information from 2 separate USB devices at the same time?

yeah no problem.
i have my remote sl going in threw usb, my projectmix i/o going in threw firewire, and a midi keybord plugged into the project mix.

i use my projectmix as a midi mixer aswell.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Elder posted:

I have 5 midi devices plugged into it personally.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
Kel, you do your own synths? I'd often wondered.

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008
I skimmed this thread and this forum but wasn't able to find any good discussions about purchasing your first midi keyboard/controller. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Elder posted:

if they are USB you can select them from the pull down midi from menu and select your devices by name, and yes, you can use more than 2 sources.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Thanks guys, that's good to know.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Good Sir posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1: specify your budget
2: as a positive integer number. None of that "well I don't have much to spend" poo poo, nobody knows what "not much" means :v:
3: tell us if you're anal about piano keys y/n. If you've had lessons and are classically inclined, buying a digital piano to use as a controller (and adding an USB MIDI interface if necessary) isn't actually a bad idea. Controller keyboards feel cheap and are cheap, generally speaking.
4: if 3: does not apply, tell us if you actually want to learn how to play or just need it for chords and poo poo.
5: should it be compact or do you have enough room in the studio?

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008

Yoozer posted:

1: specify your budget
2: as a positive integer number. None of that "well I don't have much to spend" poo poo, nobody knows what "not much" means :v:
3: tell us if you're anal about piano keys y/n. If you've had lessons and are classically inclined, buying a digital piano to use as a controller (and adding an USB MIDI interface if necessary) isn't actually a bad idea. Controller keyboards feel cheap and are cheap, generally speaking.
4: if 3: does not apply, tell us if you actually want to learn how to play or just need it for chords and poo poo.
5: should it be compact or do you have enough room in the studio?

Thanks for the reply. I did read the OP and forgot to mention budget etc. I basically have no budget, I'm willing to spend 100 to 400 dollars on this (maybe more, depending). I'm not anal about piano keys but recently during my breaks at work I walk to best buy and spend half an hour using the midi keyboard they have there and am addicted to it. I have NO musical skills at the moment but I have considered taking piano lessons ONLY to aid me in making electronic music. I have a pretty large desk (let's say I have just over a meter to waste). :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Go check out these:

M-Audio Axiom 61
Edirol PCR-800
E-mu Xboard 61

Pick the one you like best :).

quote:

I have considered taking piano lessons ONLY to aid me in making electronic music.

In that case I'd increase your budget and look for a digital piano combined with a controller (no keys, just knobs). For lessons, you and your teacher are really going to like it when there's no computer nearby.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
I have M-Audio Oxygen 49 and think it's quite good! I used Creative Prodikeys before that and compare to the Oxygen, Prodikeys was poo poo. Keys were too small, no weight at all. Oxygen has just been a breeze so far. It just feels so right to play it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I had the axiom 61 at mine for a while and it was pretty good.
Natural dislike towards edirols but i'm not sure why.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, this is probably a really simple question to answer, but it's something which pisses me off every time I use Logic.

In the mixer window, how can i stop it from switching from 'arrange' view to 'all' view? In 'arrange' view, everything is nice and tidy, and I can find everything I want straight away. But every time I switch back to the main arrangement window, the mixer flips back to 'all' mode which jumbles the faders up and chucks a bunch of other poo poo I don't need in there too.

Please tell me there's a way to default to 'arrange' view? I know it's not a massive problem, but it's just something that gets a bit annoying after you've done it for the hundredth time that hour.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I had the axiom 61 at mine for a while and it was pretty good.
Natural dislike towards edirols but i'm not sure why.

Edirol is roland so v:shobon:v

I have the PCR800, its nice, has a lot of sliders, knobs, drum pads, the keys are nice. Its nice!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think it's just the name, i've never even used one. haha.

Finished that track I posted a demo of last week :)

It's definatly my 'biggest' in terms of production and amount of work gone into it, and I had shitloads of fun making it. Just under 50 layers, 20 vst synths and hundreds of effects, and my laptop is on the verge of dying, haha.
I just had a bit of a mix with it, and it goes suprisingly well with will sauls remix of 'bang'...

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I need help mapping controls on my midi controller to a VST.

For example I have an Axiom 61 that I use in live. I have a couple synth VSTs that I want to be able to manipulate using the sliders/encoders on my axiom but I don't know how to do it seeing as you cant use lives midi map mode for VSTs.

Any help?

breaks
May 12, 2001

If your plugin has a MIDI map feature built in that might be the best way... Right clicking on a knob or slider on the UI is the most common way it is implemented, but it depends on the plugin.

Otherwise hit the arrow next to the on/off button at the top of the plugin box in Live (not the plugin window...) to expand it, and you will get the first 128 VST parameters, and you can MIDI map any of those as you normally would.

If the plugin has more than 128 parameters and you want parameter 129 or higher, you are out of luck without resorting to more complicated solutions. Search around on the official Ableton forums, you'll easily find a lot of bitching and a few workarounds.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
If I've got £100 ($150) to spend on a MIDI controller for reason is an M-Audio Axiom 25 my best bet?

Doesn't seem like much else falls in my price bracket though I've heard some people had problems with the knobs breaking.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

If I've got £100 ($150) to spend on a MIDI controller for reason is an M-Audio Axiom 25 my best bet?

Doesn't seem like much else falls in my price bracket though I've heard some people had problems with the knobs breaking.

Try the Oxygen-series instead. Much cheaper.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

The Fog posted:

Try the Oxygen-series instead. Much cheaper.

Well sure it's cheaper but is it a piece of crap?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

M-Audio MIDI controllers are pretty reliable across their range in my experience. I've got an old Radium 49 that's been with me for about six years and still doing just fine. It's basically just a question of what you need in a MIDI controller. There's no single "best" but assuming you want a decent complement of knobs and faders for controlling Reason's synths and such I'd say the Oxygen 49 represents a good balance of controllability and number of keys for the price. What you get with the Axiom is semi-weighted keys and pads in place of the faders on the Oxygen. So basically just pick whatever you think meets your needs better. You might also consider the CME U-Key which has 49 semi-weighted keys, 8 knobs and 8 pads and costs the same as the Axiom.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

Sorry to bump, but i've had no feedback whatsoever on this so far - anyone had a listen yet?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Sorry to bump, but i've had no feedback whatsoever on this so far - anyone had a listen yet?

I hope you don't mind if I just mention the first thing that comes to mind. There is a prominent "boiing!" sound that repeats frequently in the first half of the song, and doesn't really change at all, have you thought of adding any variation to it?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think it's just the name, i've never even used one. haha.

It's definatly my 'biggest' in terms of production and amount of work gone into it, and I had shitloads of fun making it. Just under 50 layers, 20 vst synths and hundreds of effects, and my laptop is on the verge of dying, haha.
I just had a bit of a mix with it, and it goes suprisingly well with will sauls remix of 'bang'...

I'm about halfway through this, and I'm really liking it (despite not being a minimal kind of guy). However, like the previous poster, I really do not like that boing noise. At all. It's annoying and, in my opinion, takes away from the really good groove you've got going. I'd liken it to a massive plot hole in a movie -- right when I'm suspending my belief and really getting into things it takes me out of the world and forces me to go through the process of getting back into it again.

But yeah, overall this is really well done. I just might take that noise out because it's really detracting from the first half of the track, or even have it happen less. Using it as a few accents might be pretty cool, but repeating it like that is not.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

they use oxygens in my schools music lab and they have the worst action of any keyboard i have ever used, and they break down all the time. it used to be 100% oxygens and now its around 50% oxygens and 50% just random midi keyboards. YMMV. i think buying an old outdated work station with midi out is the best bet if you want good keys(usually no knobs/sliders tho).

• Locked thread