Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I think it's a mixture of everyone following the same tutorials/using the same methods and materials, along with clients and bosses saying "this picture looks good, do this". The style is boring and soft, but at least it isn't that loving "head-on flashlight type lighting" that Maxwell Render users were producing a little while back. Photorealistic renders of a disposable camera snap in a dark room! Great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Vray is a tool just like any other. The reason why so many renders look the same is because so many people are trying for the same look. It's an aesthetic thing, not technical. Most of my clients want the model in blasting daylight with pure, unrealistic blue skies, no dirt or distractions so that's how most of our renders end up. If we do something more dramatic, it freaks them out.

Vray is used all over the industry, but obviously not to the capacity of something like Maya+PRMan. Mainly because in many situations, an accurate GI solution is unnecessary and too slow. Lots of motion graphics and broadcast firms use it. Sway Studio is a fairly prominent one that uses Max + Vray on almost everything. Most archvis firms use it because it's the fastest and best looking GI renderer out there.

As far as it being a point and click renderer, that's a little bit inaccurate. There are pages and pages of settings to change, most of which you don't ever need to touch. The work comes in how you set up and light your scene, how you make your shaders and your own personal art direction, just like with any other renderer.

DefMech fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 17, 2008

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

John Blaster posted:

I never hear of it being used in the industry. Am I right? Or am I totally wrong?

Hahaha. What industry do you work in?
You are quite wrong btw.

Chromaplasm
Feb 11, 2008

by The Finn
Hi!
I'm just getting started with Autodesk Max, so I don't think I really know enough about what I'm doing to give really good critiques to previous posters. Is it OK, if I post some images from an early work in progress and get some advice on it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well how else are we supposed to tear your work apart? Post away!

Chromaplasm
Feb 11, 2008

by The Finn
OK, so keep in mind that this is the first non-tutorial, non-half-assed-bendy-cylinder think I've made in Max.
I used this "strip-modeling"(?) technique (I started out with one plane and just kept adding polygons and bending them around. I didn't have a lot of luck messing around with boxes.)

As you can see, there are some problems. For some reason these show up when I smooth the thing, but I can't figure out where the problems are when I unsmooth it.

The neck is not supposed to look like a butt. It does that when I smooth it.

Eventually I want to give this guy a body.

I'd like to use this for a Doom mod eventually, if I can get it right.

What do you think?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As a rough guess, it looks like you've used extrude or bevel on a polygon to make the tongue and the neck. Turn off your symmetry modifier and you'll see if there's any polygons lying flat against the symmetry line and get rid of them. Looks like there's a few other vertex clusters around the back of the head too. And put the symmetry modifier underneath the smoothing. And posting shots with wireframes always helps out when you want advice on construction, etc.

Chromaplasm
Feb 11, 2008

by The Finn
Thanks! :)

That is correct. I did use bevel/extrude to do the tongue. I used it to do the neck too.

OK, so I deleted all the polygons that were against the symmetry line. I also found some vertexes that seemed to be on the wrong side of the symmetry line so I got all of those aligned. It looks better when I smooth it and the neck no longer looks like a butt.

Heres the wire frames. Do you need any other angles?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, it's a start. Read up a bit on model topology and facial modelling and go at it again. Right now you've got a wierd mix of sparse and dense areas on the head seemingly at random. I.e the temples are very dense, while the face looks incredibly light on polys. And try keep them to quads, you've got an alarming number of n-gons around.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

zbrush doodle

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^^^ EDIT: Looks like a stone fountain decoration to me for some reason.

Chromaplasm: Interesting you use the term "strip modeling". I assume this means edge extrusion modeling vs box modeling. I had never heard the term before.

DefMech posted:

Vray is used all over the industry, but obviously not to the capacity of something like Maya+PRMan. Mainly because in many situations, an accurate GI solution is unnecessary and too slow. Lots of motion graphics and broadcast firms use it. Sway Studio is a fairly prominent one that uses Max + Vray on almost everything. Most archvis firms use it because it's the fastest and best looking GI renderer out there.

As far as it being a point and click renderer, that's a little bit inaccurate. There are pages and pages of settings to change, most of which you don't ever need to touch. The work comes in how you set up and light your scene, how you make your shaders and your own personal art direction, just like with any other renderer.

DefMech that is a GREAT explanation and will be what I reference next time someone asks me about Vray. Sway is right next to Zoic but I hear much better things about it as a whole.

Hmmm . . . just saw there is an educational version of Vray available for 250$. Wonder what it would take to get my clueless bosses to actually go for it . . . :rolleyes:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 20, 2008

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Just some levelshots from some of my more recent work in Warsow. I just reinstalled quake 4 to start playing around with the tech 4 engine again and Maya to learn how to map with Models. We'll see where that goes:)

king of crimson
Jul 23, 2001

by The Finn
Been a while since I have worked on my portfolio. I made a fire hydrant recently.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

king of crimson fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 20, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

How did I not know about this site?

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I've never seen it either, and it actually has a nice design to it, unlike some other 3d site. *cough highend3d cough*

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Holy poo poo facebook for graphics geeks. :unsmith:

edit: signed up as handiklap

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 20, 2008

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's a short video I put together:

http://rapidshare.com/files/166501207/Graveyard.avi.html

You can see it on youtube too, but the video quality is just awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWOInufO8w

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

spottedfeces posted:

I like this a lot. Reminds me a lot of Fable for some reason.:)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spottedfeces posted:

Nice, you really should shove it onto Vimeo too so you can get web + decent video quality.

And on other cg related topics, is anyone putting in stuff for the latest CG Challenge? I was going to put in something Heracles related, but there's like two dozen or so entries on that already, so I'm just revising my research a little.

Cornlight
May 15, 2004
I gave up on the pop can and decided to do a mason jar that I had sitting on my desk. I think it came out alright (except for one point where the wire doesn't seem to connect) but the lid edges seem kind of pixelly and I'm not sure why.

Do I need to keep raising the meshsmooth iterations until it disappears or is there some other method?

Edit: Software is 3dsmax9/vray

Cornlight fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 24, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ What software / renderer did you use?

SynthOrange posted:

And on other cg related topics, is anyone putting in stuff for the latest CG Challenge? I was going to put in something Heracles related, but there's like two dozen or so entries on that already, so I'm just revising my research a little.

Yeah . . . I haven't decided which one I want to do yet but I have a quick mockup I made for a steampunk version of "pygmalion". The painting next to it is a front pose I was considering doing instead. I can't decide which works better. Alternatively, I may choose a steampunk take on John Henry or Jimi Hendrix.

Haven't checked to see if anyone has done any versions of these yet but I am not sure how. There are so many pages of entries!!

EDIT: The original painting's are by Jean-Leon Gerome

VVVV Pretty nice texturing but the yellow stripes on the front look off to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 25, 2008

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Remember that train I posted a few pages back? Well here it is textured in 3ds Max.

Comments are welcome although I probably won't touch it anytime soon. I can barely look at it without feeling exhausted :P

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Textures look good, but as mentioned before, the structure is just wierd. The main issue otherwise is that the weathering and rust are inconsistent from section to section.

And are your wheels one sided?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SynthOrange posted:

Textures look good, but as mentioned before, the structure is just wierd. The main issue otherwise is that the weathering and rust are inconsistent from section to section.

And are your wheels one sided?

Yes, they are, It's only a click away to change this though, I just forgot and thought nothing of it just for the sake of posting a picture, i'll make sure it doesn't happen too much again.

The rust is indeed inconsistent from place to place in some places, I agree, I'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again or that I rework it in the future if I would want to use it.

Although I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the structure is weird I might think that the whole train mass is too high up and would be lowered down to the rails between the wheels. Am I correct?

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
haven't checked up on this thread in a while, good to see its humming along :)

has anyone checked this out?
http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/

18 online masterclasses in one week, $250 if you get in early.
Anyone taking part? I'm seriously considering this.

Hopefully I'll be able to show you guys soon what ive been working on for the last 6 months.
its p.cool :3:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Kirby posted:

haven't checked up on this thread in a while, good to see its humming along :)

has anyone checked this out?
http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/

18 online masterclasses in one week, $250 if you get in early.
Anyone taking part? I'm seriously considering this.

Hopefully I'll be able to show you guys soon what ive been working on for the last 6 months.
its p.cool :3:

It DOES look really cool. I can't figure out if they mean streaming video or what. It does say "private forums", so there will be Q&A but it also seems like they are just playing back the videos of the presentations during the gnomon workshops (of which I have been to 3). These presentations are kind of hit or miss. Some you will glean a HUGE amount of information and others are the artist's telling personal stories or just not talking about technique at all.

Kind of hard to do this if you have a 40 hour work week too . . .

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
thats what i thought too, but the playback of the gnomon workshops is actually a different thing. theyre just happening in the same week.

from what i can gather from the pdf on that page, the 18 video lectures are at 90-180 minutes, and available online all week. The lecturers are available in private forums for Q&A.

the only downside i can see is that they are streaming only. no option to download. which is understandable, but i hate taking loving notes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is really weird.
I just ordered it and the receipt specifically says "downloads expire" Nov 30th. The event of course goes from Dec 12-19th but if we are meant to download the vids, that means they won't be available until that time . . . right?

Oh and here is another CGhub like community for VFXpros to show off their reels etc. etc.

Postfolio.org

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

tldr:
1) how do I a bitmap material that isn't square
2) how do I animate along a spline?

Hey guys, I'm attempting to make a simple animated line of film. So I made a plane, booleaned out some holes on the sides, then copied out 40 or so times into a strip. I gave it a simple shiny material, but the thing is I need it to have a different picture in each frame, so I made a really tall compilation of my images and added it as the diffuse.

But 3ds doesn't seem to want to play nice with any bitmap that isn't prefectly square :(

Also right now I just have the film animating towards the camera then bending down and continuing down. I just used a simple bend modifier and then animated the plane and the bend's gizmo at the same time to achieve the efecct.

However I'd like for the film to be kinda wavy in the it moves, I figure there must be some way to get it to animate along a spline?

Lamb-Blaster 4000 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1) You'll need to alter the material's scaling or the mapping on the film strip. First option can be done in the Materials viewer, the second with a simple UV Map on the strip. You dont need to boolean holes in the film strip either, just make an alpha map of the holes and drop it in the materials slot.

2) Use the pathdeform modifier, orient the strip down the path, then animate the parameters to get the strip moving and rolling down the spline.

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

re: the Gnomon stuff looks like a live broadcast, followed by one repeat. Better get Fraps out if you want to rewatch it.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

TouchToneDialing posted:

Havent posted anything in awhile, so I thought I would post my most recent side project.

Click here for the full 1303x744 image.

Just got a new Ikea catalog today and I have to say, you definitely nailed this one. Great job. Did you redraw that painting?

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

1) You'll need to alter the material's scaling or the mapping on the film strip. First option can be done in the Materials viewer, the second with a simple UV Map on the strip. You dont need to boolean holes in the film strip either, just make an alpha map of the holes and drop it in the materials slot.

2) Use the pathdeform modifier, orient the strip down the path, then animate the parameters to get the strip moving and rolling down the spline.

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

re: the Gnomon stuff looks like a live broadcast, followed by one repeat. Better get Fraps out if you want to rewatch it.

AWESOME! Thanks! One more thing- is it possible to tell the film to stop once it hits the end of the path? I want it to pile up once it gets to the end, so I've made a sort of zig zag at the bottom, but it just runs through the zig zag, I need it to squish once it gets to the zig zag. I know there's a squish part of the path deform, but that effects the entire strip at once.

The circled part is where it needs to squish.

Click here for the full 1637x1019 image.

Lamb-Blaster 4000 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 28, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could use an FFD modifier or space warp on that area to have the film squash up when it reaches the end.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

DefMech posted:

Just got a new Ikea catalog today and I have to say, you definitely nailed this one. Great job. Did you redraw that painting?

Thanks!
Ha, no I went and got the picture from the ikea site.

Also, I did a new point and click whizzy wig bullshit kind of render.

Click here for the full 1018x798 image.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I don't know if any of you remember, but a while ago I posted stuff from the short film I was working on. It was title shoot the Moon. I'm still working on it, but I changed the title to Jackalope road. Here are some more recent things I've been working on.

This is a first pass at the textures, I've finished modeling the other two characters but haven't textured them yet. Once I nail down the look for all the characters I'll finalize the textures.

And here is a render from one of the sets I posted earlier. (A couple of years ago) Back then it was all lambert grey with no lighting.

I haven't posted much in the last year or so, but I have been busy and I have gotten stuff done. All I have left is texture two characters, rig em and then animation. The old website is gone, and the new one is up at http://www.jackaloperoad.com/blog

Anyways, thanks for checking it out.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Good job but it looks like your textures are stretching around the shoulder but I am sure you know that already.

Also the render of the interior the interior doesn't look quite right (too dark?). Is that light coming from the TV? If so, where is the TV? If the light is coming from the lava lamp it doesn't read that way. Overall your textures could be grungier and more detailed but I think that is going against the cartoon aesthetic.

TouchToneDialing: If that is a "whizzy wig bullshit kind of render" . . . I wish I was capable of that kind of bullshitting!! Other than the stock people in the background it looks pretty fantastic. However I thought your last render was pretty close to photoreal too, so what do I know.

Also I want to thank whoever posted the alchemy link. Cool stuff!! Now if it was only pressure sensitive.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ Good job but it looks like your textures are stretching around the shoulder but I am sure you know that already.

Also the render of the interior the interior doesn't look quite right (too dark?). Is that light coming from the TV? If so, where is the TV? If the light is coming from the lava lamp it doesn't read that way. Overall your textures could be grungier and more detailed but I think that is going against the cartoon aesthetic.

TouchToneDialing: If that is a "whizzy wig bullshit kind of render" . . . I wish I was capable of that kind of bullshitting!! Other than the stock people in the background it looks pretty fantastic. However I thought your last render was pretty close to photoreal too, so what do I know.

Also I want to thank whoever posted the alchemy link. Cool stuff!! Now if it was only pressure sensitive.

tv is behind the lava lamp. It's dark though.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
yeah, if it's too dark to see the tv, it's obviously too dark. Thanks guys! I'll lighten it up a bit. I'll fix the texture too.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

SGT. Squeaks posted:

yeah, if it's too dark to see the tv, it's obviously too dark. Thanks guys! I'll lighten it up a bit. I'll fix the texture too.

It looks like the TV is just black, which wouldn't be right with a lava lamp right next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I've been learning a new piece of software lately that's entirely NURBS based. I just glanced at the thread title again and it popped out at me. Does anyone else here actually use NURBS/Solids modeling very often? I figure most of that discipline is in the engineering field and not so much entertainment/art these days.