Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FitFortDanga posted:

ECLIPSE SERIES 14: ROSSELLINI'S HISTORY FILMS RENAISSANCE AND ENLIGHTENMENT
- The Age of the Medici
- Blaise Pascal
- Cartesius

zzzzzzz

I'm a little disappointed that the El Norte is just a copy of the VHS case, but at least the extras are nice.

I'm not sure if you have seen those Rossellinis (I haven't), but as someone with a serious interest in the southern European Renaissance, are they worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Is Missing worth picking up? I haven't seen a Costa-Gavras yet.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Cacator posted:

I think I read somewhere that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was one of, if not the top seller for them. It was the first one I bought, for one thing. Then it became an addiction. An expensive, pretentious addiction.

Thats the only Criterion I have seen sold almost everywhere. I have to get most Criterions at either Borders, Best Buy or on-line stores but I have seen Fear and Loathing sold at Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, Toys R Us...

Yes, at Toys R Us.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

Is Missing worth picking up? I haven't seen a Costa-Gavras yet.

It's a well made movie and the acting is top notch. It's already been out a couple of times on DVD, so this is probably one you don't have to blind buy if you know a good videostore.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An interesting rumor at CF.org:

quote:

STAN BRAKHAGE: According to private source, a second Brakhage set will be released - “It will be multiple discs (3), and will include some of the longer films (with a emphasis on these) - some of the transfers will be made from the restored prints” - "restoration efforts are taking long (among other issues), and we shouldn't expect the set anytime soon - I was told this in late 2007"

Very exciting if it's true, although I tend to prefer Brakhage's shorter works (Dog Star Man being a notable exception). What would be doubly awesome would be a Blu-Ray release, coinciding with a Blu-Ray release of the first set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More Mulvaney email:

Jon Mulvaney posted:

We do plan to release WINGS OF DESIRE, PARIS, TEXAS and ALICE IN THE CITIES in the not-so-distant future, but specific dates haven't been scheduled at this time.

I'd definitely buy WoD, especially if it's Blu-Ray. Not a fan of Paris. Alice I've never seen.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FitFortDanga posted:

More Mulvaney email:

I'd definitely buy WoD, especially if it's Blu-Ray. Not a fan of Paris. Alice I've never seen.

Aw man this is awesome news; love both Wings and Paris. Haven't seen Alice. Hope they do some cool extras for them.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The MGM DVD for Wings of Desire is pretty good already, although my copy gets hosed up when Bruno Gans meets up with Columbo. So I would probably pick up a blu-ray version.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

So Falsche Bewegung (1975) (Wrong Move, Wrong Movement, or whatever we're supposed to call it these days in English) has been out on DVD for a couple years, now Alice in den Städten (1974) is finally getting a release. What the gently caress do studios have against Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) (Kings of the Road)?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Alice in the Cities is very very good. Perhaps my favourite Wenders, next to The State of Things. I've recently bought the UK DVD (along with Paris and Wings :( ), but would definetely double-dip that (Alice), specially if it's released on blu also.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I guess this might be obvious to some of you but libraries often have great movie collections for free!! I was at my local library and they have a surprising number of Criterion DVDs. Many of them are movies that were not super high on my criterion buy list but ones I was interested in none the less. I just checked out Playtime by Tati and was quite happy!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

soggybagel posted:

I guess this might be obvious to some of you but libraries often have great movie collections for free!! I was at my local library and they have a surprising number of Criterion DVDs. Many of them are movies that were not super high on my criterion buy list but ones I was interested in none the less. I just checked out Playtime by Tati and was quite happy!

University libraries in particular sometimes even have the entire Criterion collection. Mine did, anyway.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

This is only semi-Criterion related but I figured this was the best place to post this. I took a bunch of these postcards when I went to a screening of the restored Beauty and the Beast print a few years ago and just finally got around to scanning one of them. I scanned this one because it was my favorite but there's also Spirit of the Beehive, La Strada, and maybeIvan the Terrible (I can't remember). If anybody wants those I can scan them next week.

This was right before that huge box set came out, so I guess they made them to promote it. We got a new scanner at work that scans in awesome resolutions, so I thought it would be cool to scan this. The scanner kept cropping them for some reason (still trying to figure out how to work it) so the first one isn't quite as big as it could be and the second one is slightly cropped, sorry!

Front:

Click here for the full 1595x1304 image.

Back:

Click here for the full 1693x1097 image.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I wouldn't mind seeing the rest if you're bored enough to upload them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I always wanted to know who the hell bought that thing. "Let's see, I love arthouse movies and I don't have most of these, but I'm not interested in ANY supplements." I suspect most of them were bought as gifts for people who already owned all of the movies they wanted.

And when are they gonna release Le Jour Se Leve separately?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mulvaney says "yes" to Red Desert, "no" to The Mother and the Whore and Andy Warhol. RD is my favorite Antonioni. It'll probably be on Blu-Ray, since there's already a British BR of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion's Blu-Rays have been bumped:

someone at DVDTalk posted:

Criterion has bumped the street dates on all November releases.

The Man Who Fell To Earth, Bottle Rocket, The Chungking Express and The Third Man now have a street date of 12/16

The Last Emperor has been bumped to 1/6

Don't know if we'll get the new announcements tomorrow, or maybe not until Monday. It's quite likely that among the titles will be 400 Blows (Blu-Ray), The Exterminating Angel and The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover. Which would make it the best month ever.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Criterion Collection posted:

Dear Criterion viewers,

We’ve got some big news. We’re launching a new website on November 25, and we’re moving warehouses in the process. To clear the way for the new site, we’re selling everything on our current site at 40% off the retail price. That includes clothing, posters, mugs, totebags, and of course every Criterion DVD in stock! You’ll still get free shipping on orders over $50, and your purchases will still count toward our loyalty program if you create an account on our new site. We won’t be taking new preorders or back orders—this sale is strictly “while supplies last,” so shop early and often. Come on down, browse around, and stock up on holiday gifts at unbeatable prices, while you also help us move to our new digs! Sale ends Monday, November 24, at midnight.

Happy shopping!

Finally my chance to get a Criterion totebag.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wouldn't mind a Janus Films shirt and a Criterion cap. :shobon:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Feb. Criteions:

The Exterminating Angel
Simon of the Desert
Hobson's Choice
Shadows
Faces

http://www.criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I'm a little disappointed in the cover art for the two Bunuels but I wasn't expecting them to put out Simon of the Desert too so I can't really complain.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I figured they'd cram Simon of the Desert in an Eclipse set or something

juicy_J posted:

Finally my chance to get a Criterion totebag.

Hahah. I looked into that sale and ordered two dvds and a poster, but got a notice the next day that it didn't go through. I went to re-order the stuff and had an impossible time logging in. I cleared my browser's cookies and everything, requested a new password and all that poo poo, still didn't work. Made a new account to order the stuff I wanted and but was out of stock. Awesome.

Cacator posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the cover art for the two Bunuels but I wasn't expecting them to put out Simon of the Desert too so I can't really complain.

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out what was actually going on in the Exterminating Angel one.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 15, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Exterminating Angel - loving finally. One of my absolute favorites. But why, why, WHY can't Criterion scrape together more supplements for Bunuel? Really, NO ONE was available to do a commentary on this?

Simon of the Desert - one of the great overlooked Bunuels, but only because it's so hard to find. A must-buy.

Shadows & Faces - Hooray! I was a little bummed with my decision to sell the Cassavetes box because I knew I'd miss Faces. Now I don't have to worry about it :)

Hobson's Choice - haven't seen this one, but Lean is usually pretty good.

No Eclipse set, and no Blu-Rays? I really expected a BR of Exterminating Angel. Oh well, still not a bad month at all. Simon is a very nice surprise.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out what was actually going on in the Exterminating Angel one.
They might change it if people complain enough like they did with Viridiana, but I'm too scared to go to Criterionforum to find out.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Oh loving damnit it to hell! Why'd they have to go and bump the Blu-Rays for? I'm writing a term paper on WKW's use of color and I was loving pumped to be able to study Chunking Express in HD. AAAAAHH gently caress you Criterion!!

I'm sorry Criterion... I don't mean that... you've been so good to me, Baby, so good.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

The Exterminating Angel - loving finally. One of my absolute favorites. But why, why, WHY can't Criterion scrape together more supplements for Bunuel? Really, NO ONE was available to do a commentary on this?

This was my first thought too, at least it's coming out and with a feature length documentary that's hopefully interesting, but surely they could find something that's specifically about the film.

Also, I'm glad to see Simon of The Desert coming in at a lower price point, hopefully that will entice people who wouldn't normally give it a chance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So is Rushmore going out of print like I've heard? Because if it is, I'll have to use the Criterion sale to get that, but if it isn't, I'm gonna get something else (either If... or Sawdust and Tinsel) 'cause I can only afford one right now.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Is this The Friends of Eddie Coyle? Please tell me this is The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

(edited to remove img leech)

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 20, 2008

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Those masks look like Sacco and Vanzetti. Thus I think it's either that recent documentary that was in theaters, or more likely the 1971 docu-drama http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacco_e_Vanzetti Too fitting: according to Wikipedia, a song from the movie was used in The Life Aquatic.

Also, could be The Brinks Job http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brink%27s_Job . Though Brinks Armored Car wasn't exactly a bank.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's definitely Friends of Eddie Coyle. Mulvaney already confirmed that they would be releasing it at some point.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Thought I'd post these just cuz, and I like looking at packaging and not have to browse the Criterion forum sooo

Cacator posted:

They might change it if people complain enough like they did with Viridiana, but I'm too scared to go to Criterionforum to find out.

No, they're probably too busy complaining about the new Blu-ray packaging.

Speaking of which, here's some relevant pics that Sporadic linked to in the blu ray thread:

Click here for the full 412x660 image.

Click here for the full 939x660 image.

Click here for the full 917x660 image.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

So is Rushmore going out of print like I've heard? Because if it is, I'll have to use the Criterion sale to get that, but if it isn't, I'm gonna get something else (either If... or Sawdust and Tinsel) 'cause I can only afford one right now.

I don't think it is. People emailed them over at the forum and got a reply that it's not going out of print.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I don't know if this has been a long running thing or not, but certain Criterions are marked pretty low on Amazon.

Certain 2 disc'ers like:
Harakiri, Mishima, The Furies, Elevator to the Gallows, Thief of Bagdad, Salo, M, Breathless Army of Shadows and High and Low are each 23 bucks.

Certain single disc ones that are usually expensive have been marked down too, like Miss Julie and Grand Illusion.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion has launched their new website. There's a lot of new content. They now have gobs of essays and articles, a forum/social networking area called "The Auteurs", and you can watch movies online. For $5 you get a one week rental, and the money goes towards a purchase if you end up buying it from their store. Also, for every $500 you spend at the Criterion store, you get a $50 gift card. Currently available online:

Au Revoir Les Enfants*
Clean, Shaven
Cleo from 5 to 7
The Cranes Are Flying
Fat Girl*
General Idi Amin Dada
The Horse's Mouth
Il Posto
Juliet of the Spirits
Lord of the Flies*
Overlord
La Pointe Courte
Ratcatcher*
Sans Soleil
Solaris
The Spirit of the Beehive*
Sweet Movie
Sweetie*
The Thief of Bagdad

A nice, esoteric group of films there to start out with (more will be added). Some movies are from "Festivals", themed groups of films featured on the Auteurs forums. The starred titles are from the current Festival: "Cruel Stories of Youth".

I find the new layout/navigation a little confusing, and I'm also overwhelmed by all the crap there is to read.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 25, 2008

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like the new layout. :shobon:

Looks like they have more budget-priced Essential Art House releases coming on Feb. 10th:

The 400 Blows
Black Orpheus
Pygmalion
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
La Strada
Ikiru

Looks like Black Orpheus and Pygmalion are the same as the existing bare-bones Criterions, but a MSRP $10 lower.

I'm really hoping they'll offer downloads of their old laserdisc commentaries, or even the DVD commentaries for their OOP discs.

edit: Awesome, they have some non-Criterion films up for download/viewing here: http://www.theauteurs.com/films

L'age D'or, Cops (Buster Keaton), and The General.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 25, 2008

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion has launched their new website. There's a lot of new content. They now have gobs of essays and articles, a forum/social networking area called "The Auteurs", and you can watch movies online. For $5 you get a one week rental, and the money goes towards a purchase if you end up buying it from their store. Also, for every $500 you spend at the Criterion store, you get a $50 gift card. Currently available online:

Au Revoir Les Enfants*
Clean, Shaven
Cleo from 5 to 7
The Cranes Are Flying
Fat Girl*
General Idi Amin Dada
The Horse's Mouth
Il Posto
Juliet of the Spirits
Lord of the Flies*
Overlord
La Pointe Courte
Ratcatcher*
Sans Soleil
Solaris
The Spirit of the Beehive*
Sweet Movie
Sweetie*
The Thief of Bagdad

A nice, esoteric group of films there to start out with (more will be added). Some movies are from "Festivals", themed groups of films featured on the Auteurs forums. The starred titles are from the current Festival: "Cruel Stories of Youth".

I find the new layout/navigation a little confusing, and I'm also overwhelmed by all the crap there is to read.

Also it's worth noting that all the "festival" film are free to watch rather than costing 5$.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, this website stuff is crazy. I'm familiar with The Auteurs but it's still pretty overwhelming.

Also, my Brand Upon Brain! dvd came today with a sticker that said "DIRECTOR APPROVED (Ang Lee) Edition" on it. hehe.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: Awesome, they have some non-Criterion films up for download/viewing here: http://www.theauteurs.com/films

L'age D'or, Cops (Buster Keaton), and The General.

Those are all $5. There are a bunch of other free ones though.

edit: After clicking around on the site, I've got to say that if they expand their library so that people can use the site effectively as a ranking site (like Criticker) they may have something going. The free streaming movies is pretty great and in general the design, while almost parodically Web 2.0, is not bad. The forum is pretty terrible though. A combination of bad posters (already) and a horribly organized, convoluted branching structure make discussion pretty useless except maybe within the purview of discussing films that stream on the site. (The "festivals" part of the forum might actually be useful too.)

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 26, 2008

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I think the best thing about the new site is being able to watch trailers for (the newer ones for now) movies in the collection. Also I can't figure out how to watch the "free" movies on the auteur site, which despite being very simple and clean is very slow and buggy.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 26, 2008

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Glad the redesign is done. Most of those essays that were linked to the films on the specific film webpage are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nights of Cabiria is now out of print. Pick up this amazing movie while you have the chance.