Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Evil Vin posted:

I was also at the Aquabats show last night and had tons fun.

Where were you? I was against the rail up top near the bar. I was the only one who was jumping and dancing when they called out all the people up there for just standing around not doing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, whoever the Toasters have running their merch table on this tour is an rear end in a top hat. If you got within three feet of the table, he'd throw you back into the circle
But the room was small enough that you were never more than two feet away at that point in the circle.
Guy was a loving dick.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Also, whoever the Toasters have running their merch table on this tour is an rear end in a top hat. If you got within three feet of the table, he'd throw you back into the circle
But the room was small enough that you were never more than two feet away at that point in the circle.
Guy was a loving dick.
Huh, the guy running the table at the show I went to was Hingley himself.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Where were you? I was against the rail up top near the bar. I was the only one who was jumping and dancing when they called out all the people up there for just standing around not doing much.

I was down on the floor in the middle-ish area (I slowly went farther back following the pit-like thing) as the , I was one of the dorks wearing Aquabats mask and a fedora. I got to go crowd-surf once early on during the Aquabats set before they told people to steal crowd surfers junk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Huh, the guy running the table at the show I went to was Hingley himself.

I meant during their set.
Apparently, Hingley is related to this kid I went to school with, and another kid's uncle used to play trombone for them

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Huh, my friend went to that show and said there were like fifty people there. Is that close?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Evil Vin posted:

I was down on the floor in the middle-ish area (I slowly went farther back following the pit-like thing) as the , I was one of the dorks wearing Aquabats mask and a fedora. I got to go crowd-surf once early on during the Aquabats set before they told people to steal crowd surfers junk.

I was going to wear my cadet shirt and a mask but I decided not to.

I really regretted it :(

e: I also really wanted to leave my wallet, keys, and shoes with someone and dive off of the rail into the crowd.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I was at the Aquabats show as well with two bandmates of mine. A really great experience overall. I haven't seen the Suburban Legends in a few years, so it nice to see they still have it (although their choreography was less this time). I was ambivalent about Tragedy, we stayed by the bar for that set and finished our drinks. But when the Aquabats were on, it was amazing. It was my first time being able to see them and it was worth every second. Endless dancing and singing and laughing. It's been a while since I've been to a bigger venue as well, and boy does it make you feel old when you look around and see that a number of kids there weren't even born when the Aquabats were formed.

Anyone going to the Pilfers on Sunday? I was wavering until I saw BTMI will be there, that's enough to push me off the fence.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

lessthankyle posted:

Anyone going to the Pilfers on Sunday? I was wavering until I saw BTMI will be there, that's enough to push me off the fence.

I just got back from the show in Philly, and it was phenomenal. Go. The Pilfers even played two new songs, so they might be sticking around for awhile :) BTMI and Sonic Boom Six both put on great shows too, and Last Martyrs brought it as always. However, Emotron was pretty much the worst excuse for an opener I've ever seen. And I'll just say that I definitely saw more (much more) than I needed to see.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

WaffleZombie posted:

However, Emotron was pretty much the worst excuse for an opener I've ever seen. And I'll just say that I definitely saw more (much more) than I needed to see.

Dude, The Emotron is awesome. Did you know he toured out to Alaska and worked at a fish cannery or some poo poo like that for a month? It's always good to have some weird rear end poo poo just for the sake of weirdness.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
~10 new dates announced for Less Than Jake in March. They're coming back to Baltimore :)

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

The Aquabats are loving amazing and are the best live band ever, ever, ever, ever. That's all I can really say. If you haven't seen them yet, I have no idea what you're doing with your loving life.

This thread is sometimes depressing to us Australians.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys...I have made a grievous error.
Maybe it was just because I tried listening to them at the wrong time in my life but...I actually find myself enjoying the Aquabats. How have I lived this long without them?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

guppy posted:

~10 new dates announced for Less Than Jake in March. They're coming back to Baltimore :)

Yup just ordered tickets for the Orlando show

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

I really want to go to this, but I am poor :( ASOB is one of my favorite ska bands ever and I really want to see them in some form before they disappear.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I really want to go to this, but I am poor :( ASOB is one of my favorite ska bands ever and I really want to see them in some form before they disappear.

When I saw them at Skanksgiving they didn't play a single ASOB song and I doubt they ever will again.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

A bit of news I just discovered which I thought was awesome:

Remember the RBF album that's scheduled to come out in January and be all cover songs? One of the songs they're covering? VERONICA SAWYER BY EDNA'S GOLDFISH.

Holy gently caress, I can't wait to hear this.

e: Track listing:

quote:

1. "Nothin' But a Good Time" (Poison)
2. "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" (Slade)
3. "Veronica Sawyer" (Edna's Goldfish)
4. "Authority Song" (John Mellencamp)
5. "Brown Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison)
6. "The Long Run" (The Eagles)
7. "Won't Back Down" (Tom Petty)
8. "Keep a Cool Head" (Desmond Dekker)
9. "Monkey Man" (Toots and the Maytals)
10. "Talk Dirty to Me" (Poison)

I'm also pretty excited for the Poison songs and Won't Back Down. Monkey Man isn't bad either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuEMJ_48YE

Sandwolf posted:

When I saw them at Skanksgiving they didn't play a single ASOB song and I doubt they ever will again.

That isn't really the point although it is unfortunate.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 22, 2008

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Oh, I know its not the point, I guess I'm kind of just venting about how they never play ASOB songs anymore.

I just wanted to hear Rocketrocketrocketship live!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

So Let's Go is also the classic song that they would need to play live but I would really want to hear The Last Bell/I Must Be A Proctologist and 1-800-ALARM ME

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

A bit of news I just discovered which I thought was awesome:

Remember the RBF album that's scheduled to come out in January and be all cover songs? One of the songs they're covering? VERONICA SAWYER BY EDNA'S GOLDFISH.

Holy gently caress, I can't wait to hear this.

e: Track listing:

I'm also pretty excited for the Poison songs and Won't Back Down. Monkey Man isn't bad either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuEMJ_48YE

Talk Dirty To Me won't be as good as the Regatta 69 version of it. I love that track, mainly for replacing the lead guitar with a trombone, and I guarantee you the RBF version will contain much more guitar rocking.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

So Let's Go is also the classic song that they would need to play live but I would really want to hear The Last Bell/I Must Be A Proctologist and 1-800-ALARM ME

I know the reason they split up wasn't the music, but I'm sure jeff doesnt want BTMI! to turn into ASOB2.0, it sucks but "ASOB BROKE UP."

I was however under the impression that there was gonna a DVD made up from the reunion shows, which I've not heard about since the actual reunion shows so, who knows.

dnz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 23, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If any of you play Audiosurf on Steam, they're now playing an Italian ska punk group called Talco on Audiosurf Radio. They're worth a listen at least.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2008

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?
Skoidats

Signed to Moonska Records 2 years before they shut the label down. A local Montana Skoi band. Great stuff.

Check out some of their videos on Youtube too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

If any of you play Audiosurf on Steam, they're now playing an Italian ska punk group called Talco on Audiosurf Radio. They're worth a listen at least.

Things that make me want to cry: We Will Fall Together on Audiosurf, or really any song off SitB

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Quick question, I need some help in hating on a band; Mysterious Aftertaste might know this answer.

I saw Streetlight last time they played at Starland Ballroom and one of their openers was this atrocious ska band that had choreographed dance moves and poo poo. What was the name of the band?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

weekly font posted:

Quick question, I need some help in hating on a band; Mysterious Aftertaste might know this answer.

I saw Streetlight last time they played at Starland Ballroom and one of their openers was this atrocious ska band that had choreographed dance moves and poo poo. What was the name of the band?

Suburban Legends?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

demolition rickshaw posted:

Suburban Legends?
Impossible, he said they were atrocious and Suburban Legends are awesome.

That said - choreographed moves? Definitely sounds like them.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

GOing to see Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish at the Fillmore on January 2nd.:c00lbert:

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
edit: Whoops!

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 3, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Not that any of you care, but

quote:

Almost the entire original lineup of the legendary The Specials will be reunited in 2009 in celebration of their 30th anniversary. In an interview with NME, frontman Terry Hall explained:

It's the right time to do it [reunite] - we talked about it at 25 but we weren't together enough. Now we're all getting on and it feels comfortable again.

Original members of the band including Hall, Neville Staple, Sir Horace Gentleman, Roddy Radiation, Lynval Golding and John Bradbury are all confirmed to play the shows. However, founding member Jerry Dammers will not be participating though Hall is not ruling it out. The shows will be the first time the bulk of the band members have worked together since 1981.

Except it's UK only :suicide:

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Mike_V posted:

Not that any of you care, but

Except it's UK only :suicide:

Oh. Oh poo poo. Anyone got like 1500 bucks to spare for a plane ticket?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

weekly font posted:

Check out some or their songs from their pre-Dance Like Nobody's Watching albums. They were a pretty good ska band just with a goofy gimmick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Horseshit. They're only enjoyable for ending shows with Disney tunes

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They don't really do that anymore which is pretty upsetting :(

When I first saw them, they did Under The Sea and it was awesome.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
So last night's Streetlight show in Exeter was the best I have ever been to. Dan Potthast opened and was great fun, I got to talk with him after the show and he's a really nice guy. Random Hand were good too.

The room the show was in was so loving tiny I was a foot away from Kalnoky the entire set and got to hand him his acoustic guitar. :v: I also finally got to hear Linoleum and It's a Wonderful Life live, which were well worth the wait. Aaaand afterwards I got hugs (and a photo!) with him and got to tell him thanks for everything. He was amazingly kind. It was awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

They don't really do that anymore which is pretty upsetting :(

When I first saw them, they did Under The Sea and it was awesome.

Just Can't Wait To Be King is better, sorry

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I saw the Suburban Legends with the Aquabats about two weeks ago. I had low expectations going in from their recent stuff, but was really surprised and they played a great set. But really, no matter what happens to them, I'll always love their show just for the first time I saw them. It was at a Get Out The Vote outdoor concert in Jersey many years ago. They started their set but the power cut out, so while it was being fixed, they came and played duck, duck, goose with the whole crowd. Yes, I'm biased because I got to chase Tim Maurer around the circle, but still, you can dance to them, and that's all I care about.

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
If you don't try you can't lose.
Last night I went to a concert with Fishbone headlining. Heavy Mojo and Native of the New Dawn were there as well opening. The crowd started off being really small but Native's really rocked out anyways and they sounded great. Heavy Mojo had so much energy and the crowd was really starting to pick up. Once Fishbone got up there though, the crowd went nuts until 2AM and there was a decent pit going on with everyone skanking.

Overall a really awesome concert, if anyone gets the chance to see them I would highly suggest it.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone seeing the Bosstones at Hometown Throwdown or Lupo's on New Years Eve? I went to their show at Lupo's last new years and had an absolute blast. I can't wait to go again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Holy crap I saw Westbound Train with Mile 21 last week and it was so flippin awesome.