Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
I just received some awesome fabric from fabric.com --some super soft jersey knit in a pretty aqua, and a lightweight grey/blue plaid suiting. I'm working on designing my first big items (dress, skirt, maybe a top?), which is pretty exciting for me!

A question for those with older machines, though: when your machine doesn't have the handy 'reverse' function, do you simply turn the fabric around and sew backwards against the seam, or is there another easy way to 'lock' the stitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

justasmile posted:

I just received some awesome fabric from fabric.com --some super soft jersey knit in a pretty aqua, and a lightweight grey/blue plaid suiting. I'm working on designing my first big items (dress, skirt, maybe a top?), which is pretty exciting for me!

A question for those with older machines, though: when your machine doesn't have the handy 'reverse' function, do you simply turn the fabric around and sew backwards against the seam, or is there another easy way to 'lock' the stitch?

You could take smaller stitches at the start and finish of each seam instead of reversing.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You could also do it manually by hand-reversing the wheel, maybe?

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Can any of you guys tell me how you'd recommened repairing a crotch blowout on a pair of jeans?
It's only a small area that is beginning to rip, but I'd like to nip it in the bud.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

kryptonik posted:

Can any of you guys tell me how you'd recommened repairing a crotch blowout on a pair of jeans?
It's only a small area that is beginning to rip, but I'd like to nip it in the bud.
Is it at the seam or in the middle of the fabric? A photo would help a lot...

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
It's not on the seem. Really close though. It looks like a small scar sort of. Maybe 1/8 of an inch wide, by 1 inch long.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Ooo, that's already getting a bit big. And it's an awkward place to get your sewing machine. Try ironing a bit of iron-on patch to the inside of it, then zig-zag stitch all over it from the outside to attach it firmly, so that all of the rent is covered in stitching. It's ugly, but if you do it with carpet or coat thread, it's more durable than the surrounding fabric =)

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
Do any of you know of a good place to find wedding dress patterns? I've looked in all the basic sewing pattern websites (Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls) and just don't see anything I like. Other formal-wear type patters would work as well.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

TinuvielDancing posted:

Do any of you know of a good place to find wedding dress patterns? I've looked in all the basic sewing pattern websites (Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls) and just don't see anything I like. Other formal-wear type patters would work as well.
Have you checked out Burda? There's also a huge formalwear special in the December Burda magazine (which includes about 50+ patterns) that is worthing looking over. They only do formalwear a couple times a year so it's worth grabbing if you like anything.

Other than that, you could try vintage pattern shops like Lanetz Living or any of the ones listed on the right here, but be aware that most of these will only come in one size, rather than a range. There's also Folkwear that do a few fancy dresses, or also BurdaStyle who are showcasing some formalwear right now.

I suppose it all depends on what style you're going for, and if you have the "eye" to see beyond a crappy photoshoot and polyester satin to see if a dress's seam lines and style are what you want. If you're not great at looking at tech drawings, it might be better to find a dress you like on some bridal site then ask advice somewhere like Pattern Review about what patterns could recreate it.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

I can't tell my left from right sometimes.
So reading this thread finally got me amped up about sewing again, yay! So now I have a little over a week to whip up my a dress for my office Holiday Party. I chose this Butterick pattern http://www.butterick.com/item/B5032.htm??tab=dresses&page=5 I'm going to do the one with the sash, and I chose a hot pink brocade with cherry blossoms. I'll post pictures once I make some progress on it. Anyway, I can't wait to see more of whatever everyone else is working on!

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

WestofEden posted:

So reading this thread finally got me amped up about sewing again, yay! So now I have a little over a week to whip up my a dress for my office Holiday Party. I chose this Butterick pattern http://www.butterick.com/item/B5032.htm??tab=dresses&page=5 I'm going to do the one with the sash, and I chose a hot pink brocade with cherry blossoms. I'll post pictures once I make some progress on it.
Cute!! I absolutely love the Butterick and Vogue vintage reissues! The cherry fabric sounds gorgeous, too.

quote:

Anyway, I can't wait to see more of whatever everyone else is working on!
Since you asked, here's some of what I've been up to in the last two months... ;)

grey skinny jeans

purple wool sweater

silk pyjamas (christmas gift)

hoodie for my nephew (birthday gift)

hoodie for me

Tweed and satin three piece suit

Right now I'm working on two more Christmas gifts before I can get back to working on my grey and purple wardrobe plans (of which the grey jeans and purple sweater are a part). I'm midway through something for my (goon) fiance, and the Hannah Montana-branded fabric for my 6 year old niece's Christmas outfit just arrived today. I'm going to make her knit trousers, a teeshirt, and a polo poo poo in part HM print and part pink knit. Mostly because I need to use up all the HM stuff or risk it rotting in my stash...

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of Christmas, is anyone else getting ambitious with presents? I found some great patterns on Burdastyle to make some easy stuff for the ladies in my family. So far I'm planning 2 handsbags, a handful of makeup bags, and a few eye masks.

As for the HM stuff, I would use up as much of that as I could too, I don't think I couldn't stand that glaring out at me from my cloth pile!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

purple wool sweater
I made a top out of this pattern as well! I (personally) wasn't super impressed with it, but it turned out well, technically speaking.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

seriouslywtf posted:

I made a top out of this pattern as well! I (personally) wasn't super impressed with it, but it turned out well, technically speaking.
Really? It's a pretty new pattern so I think I'm the only review of it on Pattern Review - you should consider posting on there if you don't already, it's really helpful for feedback as well as figuring out which patterns to buy.

The only thing I was disappointed by was that the tech drawing was misleading in the collar area. I really like the end result and I've worn mine tons in the past few weeks (it doesn't hurt that it's wool and therefore REALLY warm, too). What didn't you like about it?

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

Really? It's a pretty new pattern so I think I'm the only review of it on Pattern Review - you should consider posting on there if you don't already, it's really helpful for feedback as well as figuring out which patterns to buy.

The only thing I was disappointed by was that the tech drawing was misleading in the collar area. I really like the end result and I've worn mine tons in the past few weeks (it doesn't hurt that it's wool and therefore REALLY warm, too). What didn't you like about it?

Yep, I just double checked the pattern envelope to be sure, and it's Burda 7724, just like yours. I got it a month or so ago from the website.

I think I just don't like how it falls on me, I dunno. It's not super flattering for me, personally. I'll probably try to give it to someone. ;)

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Out of curiosity, how do you ladies pick what you're sewing? Do you sketch out what you're thinking of, then go to the store to find a good enough fabric? Or do you start with fabrics and then design from there?

I don't have an independent fabric store near by, so I was thinking of making a pilgrimage to one and just buying tons of fabrics that I love. How do I make sure I have enough to work with without bankrupting myself?

I'm sick of doing projects for other people. It's time to sew for myself!

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Gonktastic posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you ladies pick what you're sewing? Do you sketch out what you're thinking of, then go to the store to find a good enough fabric? Or do you start with fabrics and then design from there?

I don't have an independent fabric store near by, so I was thinking of making a pilgrimage to one and just buying tons of fabrics that I love. How do I make sure I have enough to work with without bankrupting myself?

I'm sick of doing projects for other people. It's time to sew for myself!

Both/either.

I keep an eye out for sales on patterns, like when Joann's has patterns for 1.99 each, and then swoop in and buy the patterns that I've already scoped out online. I'll also flip through the pattern catalog when I'm there to see if anything else catches my eye. Then I pick out fabric.

I also get a lot of my fabric from trolling ebay. Then I squirrel it away until I'm ready/have found something to make from it.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

Generally I have an outfit in mind first. I usually draft my own patterns, so from there its really a matter of estimating how much fabric you'll need. You can get an idea of yardage on patterns that are similar to what you have in mind, or go find a pattern that matches your vision. When I started sewing outfits I always over estimated how much I'd need, but its easier now to look at a design and guess how much. Though its always safer to overestimate, and then you have some extra for accessories and whatnot.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

I'm mostly curious because I do sketch out my ideas, but I don't really have the technical knowledge to make them come to life. For example, my recent sketches have had a lot of pleats, and I have no idea how to make them actually happen. The local community college sewing class is always full immediately. :(

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

The best way to learn if you can't go to a class is to find something similar. If you want to learn pleats, or whatever the idea is, just find a basic pattern that has those elements and follow those instructions. Soon enough you should be able to tweak those skills to make them your own.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Gonktastic posted:

I'm mostly curious because I do sketch out my ideas, but I don't really have the technical knowledge to make them come to life. For example, my recent sketches have had a lot of pleats, and I have no idea how to make them actually happen. The local community college sewing class is always full immediately. :(

I have a book called "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" by Colette Wolff, and it's extremely technical but also extremely clear about how to execute specific techniques, like pleats, ruffles, gathers, smocking, tucks, and what-have-you. It also has a bajillion pictures of the techniques executed on plain white fabric, so you can know exactly what you're doing in advance. It's brilliant.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
I have been browsing some of the websites that sell fabric that are linked in the OP. The only fabric store that I am familiar with in my area is Hancocks, and I know their stuff is not the highest quality. I am a little nervous buying fabric online though since I won't be able to see or feel it. Any suggestions for judging the quality of fabric online? Is price a sufficient indicator?

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

TinuvielDancing posted:

I have been browsing some of the websites that sell fabric that are linked in the OP. The only fabric store that I am familiar with in my area is Hancocks, and I know their stuff is not the highest quality. I am a little nervous buying fabric online though since I won't be able to see or feel it. Any suggestions for judging the quality of fabric online? Is price a sufficient indicator?
They still cost some money, but you can always order swatches from various online stores. Some swatches are cheaper than others, but if you're nervous about spending $$$ on fabric, spending a dollar on a swatch is a safe way to find out what the fabric is like first.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

TinuvielDancing posted:

I haven't ordered a lot of fabric online, but the fabric I've ordered from fabric.com has been of good quality. They do a good job of describing the fabric, as well, and list the appropriate care methods (which I appreciate cause I have a tendency to accidentally destroy fabric through ironing or drying).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ok, I am making pajama pants for my boy for Christmas. I'm using flannel fabric - is there a particular kind of thread that I should buy? I imagine cotton thread will do the trick, double seamed at the crotch to reinforce?

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

moana posted:

Ok, I am making pajama pants for my boy for Christmas. I'm using flannel fabric - is there a particular kind of thread that I should buy? I imagine cotton thread will do the trick, double seamed at the crotch to reinforce?
Polyester thread is way stronger than cotton - either go for all polyester or cotton-coated polyester. Coats seem to be the ubiquitous thread brand in the States, but frankly, I can't stand the stuff. Gutterman 4 lyfe, yo.

(and make sure you prewash that flannel before you cut it up - cotton loves to shrink and it's better to shrink before you've sewn than end up with clamdiggers afterwards!)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

squirrellypoo posted:

Polyester thread is way stronger than cotton - either go for all polyester or cotton-coated polyester. Coats seem to be the ubiquitous thread brand in the States, but frankly, I can't stand the stuff. Gutterman 4 lyfe, yo.

(and make sure you prewash that flannel before you cut it up - cotton loves to shrink and it's better to shrink before you've sewn than end up with clamdiggers afterwards!)
Thanks for the advice, I am glad I asked before doing anything! Although I imagine a shrunken boy pair of pajama pants would look great on me ;)

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

4R7 THi3F posted:

it's called the grim reaper goes to the beach

Hahahaha, the pose really makes this awesome.

I've been hard at work on things that are marginally related to fashion and sewing.

Click here for the full 518x1153 image.

Like ruffled red long johns for those special mornings when you leap out of bed and do the cha-cha.

I've also made a chair in the likeness of my college's president. It's sitting in his office, terrifying his secretary. If you flip the cushion, he's smiling on the other side. This is his stern face.

And of course, a giant ball made of sweater that I climbed into and somersaulted down the runway at my school's experimental costume show. Obviously.

More crappy crappy crappy and how it's done at mah bloggy blog blog~

PS: I'm totally trying out for a MTV reality show that apparently has something to do with fashion next week. Wanna gently caress dat poo poo up.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

Goldaline posted:

PS: I'm totally trying out for a MTV reality show that apparently has something to do with fashion next week. Wanna gently caress dat poo poo up.

Oh, man! You're doing that!! I was thinking about going to the casting call, but I'm too busy with finals

That chair is amazing

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

4R7 THi3F posted:

Oh, man! You're doing that!! I was thinking about going to the casting call, but I'm too busy with finals

That chair is amazing

Yeah! I'm surprised they called me for an interview. I basically said I love how tacky and ridiculous MTV is, and that it would be the ultimate absurd sort of Dadaist performance art for me.

They told me to bring some work, so I'm rounding up all the fibers girls and putting them in costume to drag down there with me.

And I know what you mean, I probably shouldn't be doing it. I don't think I've gotten more than 4 hours of sleep any night this week. Just two to go~

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

My friend just made a plaster cast of me for a dress form:

It's currently suspended from a plant hanger and scaring people who randomly walk into my apartment. We sewed the back together (cause we had to cut it off), and I'm almost a little sad about the prospect of putting a covering on it because it looks so cool. On the other hand, I finally have a dress form! I still need to figure out how to fill it to help it maintain its shape and not fall apart. Any ideas?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Expanding, insulating foam! Its light, sturdy enough, and you would even be able to stick pins in it, provided the plaster isn't impenetrable. Just be careful not to use too much. The dummy could burst open.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Okay guys, I'm putting aside my pride (heh) and coming to you for advice. I've done a couple of lined coats now and they have turned out very well, except I keep running into this issue no matter how hard I try not to. I seem to be attaching the lining to the coat at the bottom in a way that ultimately makes the coat hang funny when worn. I've attempted to do this while it's on a dressform so it's not losing shape while I sew, and I've attempted to allow the lining a lot of give while sewing it, and yet I keep running into this issue.

Does anyone have any tips for what the hell I can do to avoid this problem? I suppose I could just NOT attach the lining at the bottom and just hem it by itself, but if there's some tip someone has, I'm all ears.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
Just finished these.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

RichBomb posted:

Just finished these.

They look awesome! (how about that motorcycle pant hanger :cool:)

I'm jealous of everyone's sewing prowess; all I'm working on atm is a stiff- sided knitting bag lol.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Does anyone know a relatively invisible way to reinforce embroidery to make it more durable? I put a cross stitch pattern on a white apron, but I'm worried that all the little thread ends will get yanked out in a week. Should I just coat the back stitches with fray glue, or maybe iron on interfacing?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Cuddlebottom posted:

Does anyone know a relatively invisible way to reinforce embroidery to make it more durable? I put a cross stitch pattern on a white apron, but I'm worried that all the little thread ends will get yanked out in a week. Should I just coat the back stitches with fray glue, or maybe iron on interfacing?

I've used the first method in the past for what it's worth. Fray Check is pretty good and holds up to washing, although if it's something you wash often you may want to check it every couple of washes and reapply.

The best way to reinforce cross stitch/surface stitching is while you're stitching - be sure to lay the thread ends under plenty of other stitches and then knot them, then fray check the knots.

my son is bi
Feb 16, 2007

by Fistgrrl
How should I go about pegging a leather jacket? If this is even a plausible idea at all. Deer sinew and a hole puncher? I can do pants no problem, but I'm clueless on this one.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I made several scarves for Christmas, which was a pretty simple (buy fabric, sew tight stitch on ends, cut ends and strip cross fabric leaving strings at end).

Now that I've wet my lips a bit, I'm interested in buying a sewing machine. Suggestions? Found FAQ. I'll post a picture of the scarf later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.
Post-Christmas loot ahoy!

My increasingly warm in-laws have generously given me $200 in gift cards to Joann's between my birthday and Christmas presents, with an eye to buying a dressform. :woop:

I realize cash would have been easier as I wouldn't be limited to Joann's dressform options, but holy poo poo are they being generous and super-sweet; the hubs told them I'd stalled out on my sewing projects from a lack of a dressform, so they decided to get me one. Since they weren't sure which one to get and didn't want me trying to lug a dressform on my return flight, they went for the Joann's giftcard instead. I'm so touched, especially since we had a rocky start at first. :3:

So I'm looking for advice on which form from Joann's to spend the $200 on. Ideally, I'd like to cover it with a papertape dressform cast of me, but I've been trying to make that happen since the summer and it's not looking to materialize anytime soon. I need something I can use in the interim and then cover with the papertape shell if/when I ever get one made of me. Sufficiently skilled assistants are hard to find.

Which one should I get? I'm currently in the process of losing weight thanks to finally being on thyroid meds (11 lbs lost in a month, with no change of diet/exercise level, woot!) so I definitely need an adjustable one. It will have to accommodate both my (hopefully) continually shrinking but still full-figured form and the papertape shell if it ever gets made. There are a few adjustable models but I'd like some recommendations.

Ninja edit: I should probably cross-post this to craftster, come to think of it. I'm so excited!