Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

TangyRaptor posted:

Can anyone tell me why this happens? As far as I can tell the tags are all exactly the same for artist, album, album artist, etc. I have a couple albums like this where everything seems identical, yet it separates them.

Make sure neither has the "Album Artist" tag set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

TangyRaptor posted:

Can anyone tell me why this happens? As far as I can tell the tags are all exactly the same for artist, album, album artist, etc. I have a couple albums like this where everything seems identical, yet it separates them.

Select both together using the shift key, hit apple-i for get info, make sure all the information is really the same. You can't see everything in those tags, and there could be something like a trailing spacebar after a name somewhere.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

friendship waffle posted:

Select both together using the shift key, hit apple-i for get info, make sure all the information is really the same. You can't see everything in those tags, and there could be something like a trailing spacebar after a name somewhere.
Yeah that's how I was looking at the info.

gregday posted:

Make sure neither has the "Album Artist" tag set.
Weird, the album artist tags were exactly the same but when I deleted the tag all together it merged them. I don't understand it, but it worked. Thanks.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

TangyRaptor posted:

Yeah that's how I was looking at the info.

no, I meant select both albums at the same time, using the shift key, and hit apple-i to edit both simultaneously. They can't be different if you do this.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

friendship waffle posted:

no, I meant select both albums at the same time, using the shift key, and hit apple-i to edit both simultaneously. They can't be different if you do this.

That's exactly what I was doing. All of the fields were filled out (instead of showing up blank which is what would have happened if they differed in even the slightest way) yet they still showed up as separate until I deleted the album artist tag.

edit: maybe the ID3 tag was corrupted or something.

false image
Nov 24, 2004

filthy Americans... praise Allah

TangyRaptor posted:

That's exactly what I was doing. All of the fields were filled out (instead of showing up blank which is what would have happened if they differed in even the slightest way) yet they still showed up as separate until I deleted the album artist tag.

edit: maybe the ID3 tag was corrupted or something.

Make sure you check the "Sorting" tab, that can cause items to grouped differently

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
Oh wow, this is great, I finally understand how I might use playlists properly.

I have a question though. I should have a 4gb Nano arriving in the post soon, and I've been wondering how to store my music on it. Ideally I would like to have a few 'stock' albums on there, which will be pretty much permanent, and then the '1 week' and '4 & 5' playlists on there, which obviously will change dynamically. is it just a case of dragging the playlist across to the nano? Would that then copy across all relevant songs as well and keep it synced? My library is around 30gb, so not huge.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Lewk posted:

Oh wow, this is great, I finally understand how I might use playlists properly.

I have a question though. I should have a 4gb Nano arriving in the post soon, and I've been wondering how to store my music on it. Ideally I would like to have a few 'stock' albums on there, which will be pretty much permanent, and then the '1 week' and '4 & 5' playlists on there, which obviously will change dynamically. is it just a case of dragging the playlist across to the nano? Would that then copy across all relevant songs as well and keep it synced? My library is around 30gb, so not huge.
By default iPods sync automatically, so if you choose a smart playlist to sync, the iPod will automatically copy and delete songs to reflect that smart playlist. It's pretty awesome.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
One thing I'm noticing about this thread is the lack of consideration of OS. iTunes works on Mac and Windows, and it's easy to forget that. Solutions for one OS don't always work for the other.

I don't think this thread is the place to discuss issues between iTunes and the OS (file system, hardware, etc.), but I'm not the original poster. Limiting it to just iTunes, as in interacting with the program itself, seems the right focus for this thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TangyRaptor posted:

Select the songs that you updated with Media Monkey or whatever, right click, go to Get Info, leave all check boxes unchecked and click ok. It should rescan the ID3 tags of those files.

That's the thing. I shouldn't have to manually tell it to update tags. The Zune software was really good about this; whenever metadata was changed, it would pick up on it automatically and update its database accordingly.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

wolffenstein posted:

By default iPods sync automatically, so if you choose a smart playlist to sync, the iPod will automatically copy and delete songs to reflect that smart playlist. It's pretty awesome.

lovely, cheers.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
I just came up with another question. I have my music stored on my desktop but I always connect to my library through my laptop. Is there anyway I can modify ratings and such remotely through iTunes? The way I do it now is remote desktop into my desktop, search for the song in iTunes and then change the rating which is a bit of a hassle. Is there any way to simplify this process?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TangyRaptor posted:

I just came up with another question. I have my music stored on my desktop but I always connect to my library through my laptop. Is there anyway I can modify ratings and such remotely through iTunes? The way I do it now is remote desktop into my desktop, search for the song in iTunes and then change the rating which is a bit of a hassle. Is there any way to simplify this process?

Share the library file itself, then open it on your laptop? I think it's option-click on Mac, probably alt- or ctrl-click on Windows, when opening iTunes to choose a library to open.

A hint:

No idea how many people have a similar setup, but it's pretty easy to use the same library in Mac OS and Windows. I have a Vista partition on my MacBook, and a copy of MacDrive. I point iTunes in both to the same library file and, except for a couple songs with funky characters in the filenames, everything shows right up after a brief "updating iTunes database" pause. I've seen others do the same thing using a shared network drive.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

pokeyman posted:

Share the library file itself, then open it on your laptop? I think it's option-click on Mac, probably alt- or ctrl-click on Windows, when opening iTunes to choose a library to open.

A hint:

No idea how many people have a similar setup, but it's pretty easy to use the same library in Mac OS and Windows. I have a Vista partition on my MacBook, and a copy of MacDrive. I point iTunes in both to the same library file and, except for a couple songs with funky characters in the filenames, everything shows right up after a brief "updating iTunes database" pause. I've seen others do the same thing using a shared network drive.

Thanks a lot, I never thought to do that.

edit: In case anyone else tries to do this, hold down the shift key in Windows while double clicking on the iTunes icon.

TangyRaptor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 2, 2008

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Is there a decent way to use OGG/FLAC in iTunes yet? I'm talking complete with tag support, gapless playback, the works. My collection's about half OGG, half MP3.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I've gotten iTunes to bend to my will in some complex and interesting ways before, but the best trick I still use to this day is how to make even smarter playlists. So here's how it works.

How to make complex smart playlists:

Every now and then I'll want to make a playlist that picks music using some sort of complex boolean criteria, because I'm a big programming nerd and I like to make computers do really specific things. Unfortunately, iTunes only allows a smart playlist to match "all" or "any" of the criteria you set, which limits things significantly. Unless, that is, you create smart playlists that references other playlists. That way, you can create a smart playlist that matches criteras A and B, and then make another smart playlist of music that matches criteria C *or* is on the first playlist. The result is you get a more complex boolean playlist "(A and B) or C.

Of course, this ends up creating a few extra playlists you never really use, but you can create folders of playlists in iTunes, and I usually create a folder called "extra junk playlists" that I throw all of that stuff into. It's handy too because often playlists I make end up referencing the same extra junk playlist multiple times.

Here's some examples:

How to make a smart playlist that includes all songs rated 5 stars from multiple music genres:

First, make a smart playlist that matches "any" of the criteria, and have them all be something like 'Genre is Rock', 'Genre is Techno', 'Genre is Fusion Funk Disco Jazz' or whatever you want. Then, make a second smart playlist called something like '5 star rock, techno, and weirdo music' or whatever you want, set it to match "all" criteria, make the first one be "rating is 5 stars", and make the second be "playlist is <name of the first playlist>". Presto!

This trick is also excellent for creating a smart playlist of a genre of music that's really inconsistent in your library, possibly because it has a stupid number of names for the same sort of thing. For example, that can be a huge pain in the rear end with electronic music, because the songs' genre can be something like "techno", "electronic", "electronica", "idm", "drum and bass", "japanese noise music", or whatever other retarded electronic music genres you have in your library. So just make an 'any' playlist matching all of those genres, and mix and match it with other smart playlists to get it to do cool things.

How to make a smart playlist of your favorite music, even if you're lazy and rarely rate your songs:

This one only involves one smart playlist, but is intergral for the next thing I'm going to post. Make a smart playlist named "My favorite music" matching 'any' criteria, and set the criteria to 'Rating is 5 stars' and 'Play count is greater than 5'. Obviously adjust those numbers to suit you personally, but the idea is that it not only includes music you went out of your way to rate, but it also includes music you didn't go out of your way to rate but you've listened to it a whole lot so obviously you like it.

Here's my all time favorite smart playlist, which expands on the OP's idea of making a smart playlist of music not played recently...

How to make a smart playlist of your favorite music you haven't listened to recently:

Once you've made the above playlist "My favorite music" playlist, make a new smart playlist matching 'all' criteria, and make the criteria be:
- Playlist is "My favorite music"
- Last played is not in the last week (or whatever time frame you want)
- Last skipped is not in the last 3 days (or whatever time frame you want. This one is optional)
Now you have a smart playlist of your favorite music that you haven't listened to in a while, and you haven't skipped. The part about it not being skipped is key, since sometimes when listening to a playlist, especially in party shuffle, a song will keep coming up that you just don't want to listen to. That bit ensures that it won't come up again, but not for too long since it is after all a song you like.

This playlist can be expanded even further to include specific genres if you like, using the same technique as mentioned above.

I've gotten iTunes to make some sweet smart playlists using this trick. Hopefully one of you reading this is enough of a programming nerd to appreciate this trick.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

On my iTunes, I've reserved the 1 star rating as a flag for remembering to fix that song later on. For example, if I find a song with a misspelled title, or with an annoyingly long silence at the start or beginning that I want to cut off while listening to the song on my iPod, I'll just tag it with one star.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

GuyGizmo posted:

How to make a smart playlist of your favorite music you haven't listened to recently:

Once you've made the above playlist "My favorite music" playlist, make a new smart playlist matching 'all' criteria, and make the criteria be:
- Playlist is "My favorite music"
- Last played is not in the last week (or whatever time frame you want)
- Last skipped is not in the last 3 days (or whatever time frame you want. This one is optional)
Now you have a smart playlist of your favorite music that you haven't listened to in a while, and you haven't skipped. The part about it not being skipped is key, since sometimes when listening to a playlist, especially in party shuffle, a song will keep coming up that you just don't want to listen to. That bit ensures that it won't come up again, but not for too long since it is after all a song you like.

This playlist can be expanded even further to include specific genres if you like, using the same technique as mentioned above.

I've gotten iTunes to make some sweet smart playlists using this trick. Hopefully one of you reading this is enough of a programming nerd to appreciate this trick.

Superb stuff. Can I ask, would both playlists have to be present on the ipod, or just the latter. I'm assuming iTunes and iPods cross talk when synced...

Also, as a seperate note, am I being stupid or in the lists the playlists generate is there no way of sorting by track number? I've modded my arrows to take me to the entry rather than the itunes store, and it throws all my albums up in the wrong order, sorted by name, but I can't seem to sort by track number.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

On my iTunes, I've reserved the 1 star rating as a flag for remembering to fix that song later on. For example, if I find a song with a misspelled title, or with an annoyingly long silence at the start or beginning that I want to cut off while listening to the song on my iPod, I'll just tag it with one star.

For stars for me, I have a complex system. 3 is generic. Good song, nothing stand out either way. 2 and 4 are "this song is a bad/good song for this album". Finally, 1 and 5 are "this song is awful/awesome in the context of this album, or just in general". Not much stays on my computer if it's 1 starred, unless I have the rest of that album on my computer and I'm keeping it for completion's sake. I also have a bunch of 5s that I don't have the rest of the album on my computer, but those songs were too good to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Lewk posted:

Also, as a seperate note, am I being stupid or in the lists the playlists generate is there no way of sorting by track number? I've modded my arrows to take me to the entry rather than the itunes store, and it throws all my albums up in the wrong order, sorted by name, but I can't seem to sort by track number.

The way I've observed it, sometimes the only way to get it to sort by track number for the album, is to re-import the album. It seems to want to sort it by date added really. Maybe the "Album by Year" will fix this, I don't know, I just found out that hint.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Lewk posted:

Superb stuff. Can I ask, would both playlists have to be present on the ipod, or just the latter. I'm assuming iTunes and iPods cross talk when synced...

I don't own an iPod, so I'm not sure. My guess would be both playlists need to be there, but you can try just syncing one of them and seeing if it works.

As for track numbers, I'm pretty sure that when you sort music in any iTunes playlist by artist or album, it'll organize tracks by their track number automatically. If for some reason that doesn't work I guess you can just tell it sort by track number explicitly.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I'm not sure if most people care about this, but as long as you have any track selected, you can just type in the artist's name and it'll select their first track.
This depends on what you sort the library as, so if you sort the library in order by track it'll find the closest track name.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

GuyGizmo posted:

As for track numbers, I'm pretty sure that when you sort music in any iTunes playlist by artist or album, it'll organize tracks by their track number automatically. If for some reason that doesn't work I guess you can just tell it sort by track number explicitly.

it sorts it by track number if i search in music, it's just if I view it with the three panels up top that it seems to sort by name or whatever you select. It seems very odd that I can't tell it to sort by track number in this way, by clicking the grey bar above each section, ie the column header.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Maybe someone can comment on the way I just moved my iTunes library after an erase and install of os x (I want to know whether I did it the best way).

1. Copied the iTunes music from the external HD back to the empty iTunes folder.

2. Deselected the 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' option

3. File > Add to Library (85GB of music)

4. Reselected the 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' option (so anything I add in the future is saved to my iTunes Music folder).

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
The major gripe I have always had about Smart Playlists is that I have never found a way to make one based on the path of the file. Is it still this way, or is this now possible?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

The major gripe I have always had about Smart Playlists is that I have never found a way to make one based on the path of the file. Is it still this way, or is this now possible?

I don't think there's anyway to do it "the right way", but it's possible if you used an AppleScript or something to put the path of every iTunes song into one of its rarely used metadata fields (maybe 'grouping' or 'comments' or 'sort show' since that'll probably never be used for music) and then making a smart playlist that searches for a path in that field.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Rock Tumbler posted:

I got a GOD drat question

Why the hell does it take so many loving steps to burn a goddamn CD in iTunes? Every other media organizer I've used has allowed me to either select the songs, right-click, and select Burn CD, or select the songs, right-click, add them to the burn queue, and then burn the CD.

Not iTunes! I have to add the songs to a playlist, then open up that playlist, then burn the CD from that playlist! And I can't just right-click on the songs and tell iTunes to create a new playlist from my selection: I have to create a new playlist separately, then add the songs to the playlist, then open the playlist, THEN burn the CD!

JESUS H. gently caress WHO DESIGNED THIS loving poo poo
Three Steps:
  • Select Songs.
  • Drag to Empty Playlists Area.
  • Right Click -> Burn Playlist.

I've always done this, though they could simplify this, I don't think this is overly complicated.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Thanks for this thread!
Currently listening to my new "1 week" playlist :c00l:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

unruly posted:

Three Steps:
  • Select Songs.
  • Drag to Empty Playlists Area.
  • Right Click -> Burn Playlist.

I've always done this, though they could simplify this, I don't think this is overly complicated.
Or:

• Select songs
  • Press Ctrl-Shift-N (on Windows)
  • Hit Burn Disc! :)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This is one of my favorite utilities ever:
iTunes Library Updater: http://itlu.ownz.ch/wordpress/

It will go through your library and clean out missing files, update track information, etc.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
Here is an issue that I want to try to fix with iTunes. I rarely use cover flow but when I do, there is a certain way that I want it to behave. I have my library set up so that albums are only associated with a song if I have that entire album. Any individual song has the album field empty. This is all good until I view it in cover flow. For each song without an album, there is an entry in cover flow of a blank album. I would prefer for cover flow to not show these unknown albums. Anyone know of a fix to this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

clayburn posted:

Here is an issue that I want to try to fix with iTunes. I rarely use cover flow but when I do, there is a certain way that I want it to behave. I have my library set up so that albums are only associated with a song if I have that entire album. Any individual song has the album field empty. This is all good until I view it in cover flow. For each song without an album, there is an entry in cover flow of a blank album. I would prefer for cover flow to not show these unknown albums. Anyone know of a fix to this?

Make a new smart playlist where the Album "is not" and leave it blank. That should do it.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Another thing you could do is change the sort album field of all those songs to "999999" so that they're always sorted to the end of the list.

edit: That's a stupid suggestion because it does this already. The above suggestion is much better.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

chimz posted:

1. Yeah, it does. At least, it should. Sometimes it fails and doesn't tell you, usually this is because it the id3 tags are corrupt, if you delete them with another editor it can start working again.

I've had files that Itunes would refuse to change the tag info for only to find out the file was set to read only for some unknown reason.

JellyDonut
Feb 1, 2001

oh shi
Is it possible to get an iPod/iPhone to sort compilations by Album Artist rather than Artist? For example, I have Sasha's Involver 2 labelled with each track's actual artist and song title and the Album Artist is Sasha. This is fine in iTunes, but on my iPhone it shits out a bunch of artists with one song and completely ignores the Album Artist field. Is there a way to make it pay attention to the Album Artist? It would make my life so much better.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Can someone tell me how to change which folders iTunes uses for the library? I have my music backed up on another drives but iTunes has both in its library, which means every album shows 2 copies of the each song :( I've googled relentlessly but haven't found a solution to this simple problem..

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Killmaster posted:

Can someone tell me how to change which folders iTunes uses for the library? I have my music backed up on another drives but iTunes has both in its library, which means every album shows 2 copies of the each song :( I've googled relentlessly but haven't found a solution to this simple problem..

Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Music folder location is the setting, but it's probably not what you want.

Also consider File > Library > Consolidate Library (this will move everything in your library to the aforementioned folder) if that's something you want to do, but it probably isn't.

File > Show Duplicates might help.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Or:

• Select songs
  • Press Ctrl-Shift-N (on Windows)
  • Hit Burn Disc! :)

Thanks for this

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Music folder location is the setting, but it's probably not what you want.

Also consider File > Library > Consolidate Library (this will move everything in your library to the aforementioned folder) if that's something you want to do, but it probably isn't.

File > Show Duplicates might help.

All I want to do is remove a folder from the library... basic functionality but I can't find it anywhere. Is Apple really this daft?

edit: I tried show duplicates but it doesn't actually remove anything from the library. Instead it just shows all my music, because everything's backed up like it should be. Consolidate library isn't what I want either because my music is already nicely organized thanks to Foobar.

The only reason I wanted to use iTunes was to try the Genius function... oh well :(

Killmaster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2008

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Killmaster posted:

All I want to do is remove a folder from the library... basic functionality but I can't find it anywhere. Is Apple really this daft?

edit: I tried show duplicates but it doesn't actually remove anything from the library. Instead it just shows all my music, because everything's backed up like it should be. Consolidate library isn't what I want either because my music is already nicely organized thanks to Foobar.

The only reason I wanted to use iTunes was to try the Genius function... oh well :(

Show the duplicates, sort by date or whatever gets most of them on one side of the list, select them, delete them from library. If you're using iTunes to consolidate your library, it will ask you if you just want to remove the files, or delete them from the computer entirely (move them to the trash/recycling bin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

IUG posted:

Show the duplicates, sort by date or whatever gets most of them on one side of the list, select them, delete them from library. If you're using iTunes to consolidate your library, it will ask you if you just want to remove the files, or delete them from the computer entirely (move them to the trash/recycling bin).

Got it to work with the "date added" column. Still a pain in the rear end though. Thanks!

Now is there any way to get it to recognize the %album artist% field from Foobar? It also doesn't recognize my idv2 tags due to some bug that they haven't fixed, but I know about that...