Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I have a couple questions regarding 9.60 beta. Whenever you type a new URL in the address bar and hit enter, it'll appear at the top but whenever I click on a URL that isn't the first one it doesn't move it to the top like previous versions did, instead it keeps the address whereever it was originally (much like Firefox) and I hate that. Is there a way to fix that?

The other feature which I find is no longer existant is you used to be able to drag a tab between the Address bar and Search engine and it would place a little icon that you could click to immediately jump to that site but I'm no longer able to do this.

Other than that I love Opera and have been using it ever since they had that 1 day free Opera celebration thing before they went completely free for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Opera 10.0 Alpha 1 has been released!

The news post is here.

New improvements include
  • Presto 2.2 Engine
  • Performance boost
  • 100/100 and pixel-perfect on the Acid3 test
  • Auto-update
  • Inline spelling checker
  • Opera Mail improvements, including rich text composition and delete after X days
    Widget Improvements on Linux
Inline spell-checking will probably be the big one for users in this one (plus the performance boost and auto-update, I suppose.)

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just instituted a feature freeze for one major version and just concentrated on bug fixes. Ever since 9.0 it seems there have been a pile of bugs that just accrue with every version and never get fixed. Things like pages that never finish loading, icons that go missing, random freezes, etc. all make using Opera slightly annoying these days. If things keep going like they're going, I may jump ship to Firefox. Again.

But I do love Opera so :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Magicmat posted:

Opera 10.0 Alpha 1 has been released!

The news post is here.

New improvements include
  • Presto 2.2 Engine
  • Performance boost
  • 100/100 and pixel-perfect on the Acid3 test
  • Auto-update
  • Inline spelling checker
  • Opera Mail improvements, including rich text composition and delete after X days
    Widget Improvements on Linux
Inline spell-checking will probably be the big one for users in this one (plus the performance boost and auto-update, I suppose.)

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just instituted a feature freeze for one major version and just concentrated on bug fixes. Ever since 9.0 it seems there have been a pile of bugs that just accrue with every version and never get fixed. Things like pages that never finish loading, icons that go missing, random freezes, etc. all make using Opera slightly annoying these days. If things keep going like they're going, I may jump ship to Firefox. Again.

But I do love Opera so :(

Added to the op, be checking this out as soon as I get home.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I hope the new engine gives better Javascript performance and compatibility.

edit: bah, my horrible sentence structure lives on

Mustach fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 4, 2008

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Mustach posted:

I hope this has better Javascript performance and compatibility; that's all I think Opera is lacking in on the web browsing front.
Aye; browsing Google Reader is a downright nightmare.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Trip report after spending a small bit of time with Opera 10: It's poo poo-fast. Like, really, really fast. Noticeably faster than even previous Opera releases, which were already fast. It also fixes most (but not all) major bugs I've been experiencing -- though, caveat that some of the bigs hit randomly or only after the browser has been open a while, so they may still rear their heads yet. We'll see.

Inline spell-checking is nice. I don't know if they changed from Aspell or not, but I hope they haven't -- Aspell is by far the best spell checker out there, beating Word by miles. The spell checker didn't know "inline", though, so I'm a bit worried.

Install went nice, too. Opera has always had some of the best graphic designs around, I've found, and their installers always look swank for it. They made a special graphic for just the 10.0 Alphas, with a number '10' laid out as a blueprint and the various major features incorporated into the design. It also, by default, installs into a separate program directory and profile directory, so you can easily run 10 and 9.6 side-by-side.

All-in-all, a big improvement and something I'd recommend for all Opera users, even at this alpha state. (Though I've only used it for about a half hour now, so there may still be major bugs I haven't seen yet.)

Edit: Two bugs have popped back up: The disappearing favicons on the personal bar, and the never-ending loading of certain webpages, though this last one in a milder form. At least I haven't gotten any mixed-up graphics so far, or webpages that refuse to load past their background. Also, there seems to be a bug that causes a weird page-wide graphic to pop-up on certain pages when you scroll or move the mouse. Since this same graphic appears on multiple sites, I can only assume it's some internal diagnostic graphic in the rendering engine (maybe signaling redraw areas?) that didn't get turned off for release.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2008

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap Opera 10 is FAST. Facebook has never felt this responsive. What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Opera 10 sounds great, but I'm probably going to wait until it gets a stable release since I use opera mail and once you switch over you can't go back.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shazzner posted:

Opera 10 sounds great, but I'm probably going to wait until it gets a stable release since I use opera mail and once you switch over you can't go back.

Install it in a seperate directory. That way you can check it out.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Magicmat posted:

Edit: Two bugs have popped back up: The disappearing favicons on the personal bar, and the never-ending loading of certain webpages, though this last one in a milder form. At least I haven't gotten any mixed-up graphics so far, or webpages that refuse to load past their background. Also, there seems to be a bug that causes a weird page-wide graphic to pop-up on certain pages when you scroll or move the mouse. Since this same graphic appears on multiple sites, I can only assume it's some internal diagnostic graphic in the rendering engine (maybe signaling redraw areas?) that didn't get turned off for release.

The perpetual loading on these forums from the i-frame ads isn't back, right? It took us until 2/3rds through the 9.1 cycle to ditch that one last time :(

Is that page-wide graphic a gray/white checkerboard? If so, then that's the behavior of Opera Mobile, on which, yes, it signals redraw areas.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Stanley Pain posted:

Install it in a seperate directory. That way you can check it out.

I just noticed it installs it to opera preview, checking it out now.

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag
Posting from 10 now. Seems nice; I don't really see a lot of difference, besides Gmail looks better. Oh, and the spellcheck finally :D I didn't notice the double-back thing on the forums, so that's good.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
It seems that having to press back multiple times has crept its way back into Opera. :( I think I'm just gonna wait for the stable version.

This one seems to have taken the liberty of making itself the default internet browser, which I didn't want, and Windows doesn't recognize that there are two different versions of Opera installed, so I had to uninstall both versions and reinstall 9.62 to get everything back.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I just tried out the Mac version of Opera 10. Sadly it looks exactly the same as Opera 9 (didn't they hire Jon Hicks to fix the look of the Mac version? Maybe his influence isn't being felt just yet), but it feels much faster. Because I use the email client I'm going to wait until a stable release to upgrade, but it's looking good so far.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera 10 seems a bit faster, but I think my network being sucky is kind of ruining it. Thanks college. :argh:

Stanley Pain posted:

What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Isn't Digg heavy on Javascript?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm not noticing huge speed improvements, but gently caress inline spell check is worth every penny.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Not trying to poo poo on anyone, but why does everyone care so much about spell checking? :confused:

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Casao posted:

I'm not noticing huge speed improvements, but gently caress inline spell check is worth every penny.

You've paid them some pennies?

Anunnaki posted:

Not trying to poo poo on anyone, but why does everyone care so much about spell checking? :confused:

Bekus ve dont spel so wel.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

DevastatorIIC posted:

You've paid them some pennies?

I bought it back in the day. Does that make me old school?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I bought it too. Wonder if I have my key somewhere still.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GuyGizmo posted:

I just tried out the Mac version of Opera 10. Sadly it looks exactly the same as Opera 9 (didn't they hire Jon Hicks to fix the look of the Mac version? Maybe his influence isn't being felt just yet), but it feels much faster. Because I use the email client I'm going to wait until a stable release to upgrade, but it's looking good so far.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect any UI overhaul until it hits mid-beta at the earliest. The new v10 alpha is all about the new rendering engine.

edit: on first thought, gmail is much faster

gret fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 5, 2008

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anunnaki posted:

Because I type up forum posts, I fill out things. On a modern application, there's no reason not to have built in auto spellcheck.

Dastardly Repressed
May 8, 2004

by WORST ADMIN EVER
Still no Gears and/or HTML5 client-side storage. God loving damnit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Isn't Digg heavy on Javascript?

I don't usually goto digg, so I guess I'll check it out.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Dastardly Repressed posted:

Still no Gears and/or HTML5 client-side storage. God loving damnit.

They're apparently in the engine-update phase. The new feature phase is coming next year, according to the bottom of this page. With any luck, they'll pick those up later.

Anunnaki posted:

Inline spell checking wasn't a priority for me. I was also under the impression that the people who would need to use spell checking wouldn't use it anyways but nonetheless, we have it in so I'm cool with it.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

In my opinion inline spell checking is the greatest thing ever, in fact I've already used it twice in this post. Except Opera's kind of sucks, it didn't know inline was a word. :eng101:

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

I just noticed a new feature in 10 - When you page down to the bottom of a page, it'll show you the bottom of the previous page in the background margins.

Example. Notice the line through Casao's post.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
9.62 keeps freezing up with multiple tabs open. No clear cause, it just stops responding. Didn't happen before and it's very annoying :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DevastatorIIC posted:

I just noticed a new feature in 10 - When you page down to the bottom of a page, it'll show you the bottom of the previous page in the background margins.

Is THAT what it is? I've been going nuts wondering.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DevastatorIIC posted:

So how is that useful?

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

gret posted:

So how is that useful?

So when I'm paging down through a wall of text, and I hit the end, and the last page down was only one line. I'm at the top of the page, trying to figure out where I left off, and I have to keep skipping paragraphs till I realize it was only one line from the bottom. Now I can tell instantly.

In other news, streaming Youtube still lags the gently caress out of my SSD, and I had to turn disk cache off again. Not exactly sure who I should be blaming.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
That page line is in 9.62. You just have to enable it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

That page line is in 9.62. You just have to enable it.

opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableScrollMarker

That the point? Cause I just disabled that, hoping it kills it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, Opera is like ridiculously fast right now. I was thinking it was a placebo effect but it's like working offline on a cached version.

Also, it upgraded and all my custom stuff seems to be working fine. I heartily approve of this alpha and the inline spellcheck is spiffy and integrated into the right click menu nicely.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, Opera is like ridiculously fast right now. I was thinking it was a placebo effect but it's like working offline on a cached version.

Also, it upgraded and all my custom stuff seems to be working fine. I heartily approve of this alpha and the inline spellcheck is spiffy and integrated into the right click menu nicely.

I haven't noticed, but I think I've been bandwidth limited for a while now.

Inline spellchecking was the last feature I wanted from Firefox, anything now is just gravy.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

DevastatorIIC posted:

Wow, that is pretty handy. I tend to lose my place a little when I page down to the end. I noticed it works when your paging up as well, although I don't think that's nearly as useful.

It doesn't really seem to be faster though. However, that might be because of the pages I'm loading or that my connection is the bottle neck.

arcticthunder
Jan 22, 2008
Anyone with an asus eeepc manage to get the horizontal touchpad scrolling to work in opera? I'm not finding much about it on the internet.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
The settings for the scroll marker are: 0 is off, 1 makes the marker show only if you go to the bottom (and maybe top) of a page and 2 makes the marker show every time. I think 1 is the default. I learned this a number of days ago when I noticed the scroll marker showing up.

I imagine that the scroll marker is much more useful if you're using the Full Screen mode.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
The text field in Gmail is still hosed up; pressing enter goes down two lines instead of one, and trying to navigate the field with home and end makes the cursor disappear and garbles the text. Anyone else having this problem? It's the one thing keeping me from adopting Opera forever and always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
In one of the Opera threads, it was said that the two-line Enter is supposed to be a feature, and that shift-Enter skips only a single-line. I don't know what garbled text problem you're talking about though. Screenshot?