Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Probably a stupid question, but how do I run a high pass filter through my instruments? I'm using Reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

dookie posted:

Probably a stupid question, but how do I run a high pass filter through my instruments? I'm using Reason.

If you want to be able to apply it to any of your instruments, set up an aux send/return on your mixer. To do this just connect a cable from the aux send to the the input of the filter, then connect the output to the return on your mixer. You're now able to control how much, if any, of the effect is sent to a particular track on your mixer.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Cyne posted:

If you want to be able to apply it to any of your instruments, set up an aux send/return on your mixer. To do this just connect a cable from the aux send to the the input of the filter, then connect the output to the return on your mixer. You're now able to control how much, if any, of the effect is sent to a particular track on your mixer.

But what module would I use to tweak high pass filters?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 8, 2014

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

dookie posted:

But what module would I use to tweak high pass filters?

Ah, the filter module in Reason is called the ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

colonp posted:

Won't that also have the original signal coming through? I remember it working like that.

A send basically just allows you to control how much of a given channel's signal you're sending to the connected device. The primarily benefit is being able to route multiple channels to a single device. If you just need an effect on one track then insert effects work just fine too.

Edit: Ah, my bad on the filter, I don't spend too much time in Reason nowadays.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Cyne posted:

Ah, the filter module in Reason is called the ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter.
The ECF-42 doesn't have a high-pass filter (for some loving reason). However it can be done with a bit of jiggery-pokery...

Thor has an awesome set of filters which can be used to process any audio input you want. Route your instrument through Thor and wrap them in a combinator like so -

Click here for the full 746x527 image.

Click here for the full 740x535 image.

Now apply the following settings to your Thor patch -

Click here for the full 730x569 image.

EDIT AFGHAFGH HOLY COLONP

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 7, 2008

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There's no other way to apply a high pass filter in Reason? Seriously? :lol:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Is there no EQ in reason or something?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

wayfinder posted:

Oh man don't get me started. I love Reason to bits but some of the design flaws are really perplexing.

Stux posted:

Is there no EQ in reason or something?
There's two (see colonp's post). Neither of them have any pass filters :bravo:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I never noticed that until now.

Why does the Mastering EQ have a LP filter but not one you can move the cutoff on? WHAT

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

wayfinder posted:

I'm really wondering about the additions they're gonna make in Reason 5.

Really.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Yoozer posted:

Really.
My Reason 5 wish-list:
- Spectrum analysis tools
- Time-stretching integration oh god please
- The ability to create audio tracks on the sequencer
- The ability to record audio
- Get rid of clips and let me draw freely in the sequencer like in 2.5 you bastards
- And while I'm in magical wish-land, some kind of integrated Reaktor-style modular device-building system

A man can dream, can't he? :(

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

Really.

I just really hope they give us an LFO module. Live needs to do that too.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

squidgee posted:

They're still working on the vocoder for Live. :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dicky B posted:

I'm thinking about something that can scale across multiple monitors without putting them both in portrait mode on top of eachother.

Most people have widescreen now, with 1680 x 1050 you should be able to run 2 racks next to eachother. Also, a bunch of new interface concepts wouldn't hurt either.

Cyne posted:

They're still working on the vocoder for Live. :v:

Good software vocoding is apparently hard and expensive.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

squidgee posted:

You can use the LFOs built into the Reason synths to control other devices.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if anyone here will be interested in this, but you never know...

http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/sylenth1/groupbuy.php

There's a group buy going on for Sylenth1. It's currently at €99 and could go all the way down to €79 if some more people sign up. Given that it doesn't conclude until the 31st, I think there's a very high chance that it'll finish at €79, which is an absolute steal for such a massively awesome synth. They've finally released an AU version too, so Logic users can get onto this without having to worry about hacky VST->AU wrappers.

I bought mine a while back and it's a fantastic synth.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to snag it as an end-of-the-year gift for myself even though I shouldn't buy anything more. While I'm not exactly a fan of the interface it's probably a good bread & butter software replacement for Pro-53 (Massive's just too powerful and far out there to use for this kind of thing, IMHO :v: ).

The D16 group buy is ending soon - 100 euros now :).

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Dicky B posted:

You can use the LFOs built into the Reason synths to control other devices.

I'm aware, it's just a pain in the rear end versus a simple dedicated LFO module.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

I think I'm going to snag it as an end-of-the-year gift for myself even though I shouldn't buy anything more. While I'm not exactly a fan of the interface it's probably a good bread & butter software replacement for Pro-53 (Massive's just too powerful and far out there to use for this kind of thing, IMHO :v: ).

gently caress...I'd be all over that D16 one if only they bothered to make AU versions.

It baffles me that these companies make Mac VST versions but not AU versions.....surely the number of Mac Cubase users is dwarfed by the number of Logic users?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moron posted:

It baffles me that these companies make Mac VST versions but not AU versions....

I don't know how much extra effort or specialized coders this requires, from what I've understood AU is pretty similar in concept to VST.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

I don't know how much extra effort or specialized coders this requires, from what I've understood AU is pretty similar in concept to VST.

I can only assume that it requires a significant degree of extra coding, otherwise I really can't understand why they wouldn't do it.

Part of me is tempted to just jump on it anyway, as they seem to imply that AU versions will follow eventually, but tbh i don't think I can justify spending €100 on something which might come out at some point (supposedly).

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Dicky B posted:

My Reason 5 wish-list:
- Spectrum analysis tools
- Time-stretching integration oh god please
- The ability to create audio tracks on the sequencer
- The ability to record audio
- Get rid of clips and let me draw freely in the sequencer like in 2.5 you bastards
- And while I'm in magical wish-land, some kind of integrated Reaktor-style modular device-building system

Spec anal really should be there. Time-stretching would make Recycle semi-redundant so thats out... but while we're wishing: a magical algorythm that can make a capellas out of tracks...

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

They need to rewrite most of the code for AU I believe. Additionally, the framework for AU forces you to write your own GUI code, which VST doesn't.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

Kai was taken posted:

If the kick needs reverb, try adding release instead. If it still has to have reverb, use it carefully, and lightly. So light that you pretty much have to try to find if it has reverb or not.

While the rest of your post is spot on and wonderful I have to fully disagree with this quote, its not great advice. Reverb removes low end at high volumes, and at low volumes it won't help a kick much at all. If you really want to give your kick a full boomy, roomy sound you should split the kick into three tracks. The first should be a midi track that's triggering the other two tracks. Track one should be your kick with a low pass filter around 100, the other should be your kick with a high pass filter on the exact same spot as your other track (so usually around 100 as well). Now you can hook up a reverb send to the high passed track and throw as much reverb as you want on it without affecting the low end quality of your kick. Keep in mind this can tend to destroy the initial click/attack of your kick, but if it's mixed right and you use the right kind of reverb on it (spring reverb or large room reverb with predelay both work good) it should be fine. You can experiment with different kinds of stereo effects on your kick, and as long as they aren't touching frequencies below 100.. boom baby!

Try removing all stereo separation from the low pass filtered track as well, with something like Live's Utility. If you're working with a kick from a sample set this is probably already done, though. Bass needs no stereo spread. Bass is simple.

cum in my meowth
Dec 30, 2005
:greencube:

Yoozer posted:

Well that seems like a bargain. But is emulation that much better than samples from the originals when it comes to the 808909-combo? Is the ability to tweak the sounds better worth a hundred? And what's the consensus on the phoscyon?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Definitely not its own thread-worthy so I figure I'll ask here. I've done tons of googling but I feel a bit behind on the jargon, so yeah: I am the proud owner of a tb303 with a devilfish mod. It was given to me as a gift from someone who didn't use it that much last year and I use it a bit but I'm absolutely horrible with the sequencer, and I KNOW its possible to control it through an external midi controller/DAW but I don't know exactly what kind of converter I need (cv/gate-->midi I think?) but I've seen a bunch out there and I really just don't know what I actually need, so does anyone have any experience/insight? Thanks in advance :)

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
As far as I know the 303 cv plugs are output only, unless you have the additional DF mod with CV inputs you'll actually have to do another mod to add inputs that can be used.

If you do have the modded version then yes, you'll need a cv to midi converter. I've used the Kenton cv to midi converter, as long as you ensure the converter is set to what the 303 is expecting and on the right channel it's a fairly painless process, if slightly annoying keeping track of all the leads. Others to look out for are; Phillip Rees used to make a box called the Little Midi to CV that was fairly well respected and a bit cheaper than the Kenton box. Doepfer also have one called the MCV4. Bare in mind that none of these converters are cheap and you'll be looking at minimum £80 for one unless you can find a bargain secondhand.

Your other option is a sequencer like the Futureretro Mobius, a bit more expensive than the plain converter but does a lot more.

fat gay nonce fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 9, 2008

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

BunnyX posted:

Bare in mind that none of these converters are cheap and you'll be looking at minimum £80 for one unless you can find a bargain secondhand.
Oi :(
But yeah, kinda what I figured. And yeah, its already modded so I'd probably be looking at the Kenton as it seems that despite being just what I wanted, the Phillip Rees MCV is discontinued and I don't see any used ones for sale anyways. Thanks though :)

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo

I Dig Gardening posted:

If you really want to give your kick a full boomy, roomy sound you should split the kick into three tracks.
JFK from MSTRKRFT said they do something like this too.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone explain to me the obsession with getting the absolutely perfect 909 and 808 and 303 emulation? I've never understood it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

wayfinder posted:

Can anyone explain to me the obsession with getting the absolutely perfect 909 and 808 and 303 emulation? I've never understood it.

Well, having what your influences had at your disposal is always a good thing, especially if you can take it in a new direction while you're at it. All music is an amalgamation of old and new anyway.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cum in my meowth posted:

Well that seems like a bargain. But is emulation that much better than samples from the originals when it comes to the 808909-combo? Is the ability to tweak the sounds better worth a hundred?
You can introduce slight variations by automating parameters (you don't have to use several samples).

That, and you get all three for less than the price of one of the drum machines.

quote:

And what's the consensus on the phoscyon?
Not as purist as AudioRealism Bassline, but very musical and usable IMHO.

wayfinder posted:

Emulations don't have to be quantum-level electron perfect, as long as you can fool the most anally retentive golden ears listener it's good :v: . There's a dozen lovely SynthEdit creations using 1994 samples in mono from Hyperreal.

I've had a Drumstation and the AcidLab bassline, I'd rather have something that's easier to integrate with the rest of the studio than these things.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe I just don't see the appeal in getting the sound of those machines just right, never mind at the level of dedication some developers seem to have, and while there are a lot of tracks using them that I have emotional attachments to, that never transferred over to the X0Xs themselves - unlike with everybody else on the planet, apparently.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

wayfinder posted:

Maybe I just don't see the appeal in getting the sound of those machines just right, never mind at the level of dedication some developers seem to have, and while there are a lot of tracks using them that I have emotional attachments to, that never transferred over to the X0Xs themselves - unlike with everybody else on the planet, apparently.

What would be the point of calling them X0X emulation in the first place then? They're trying to give what they sell, there's tonnes of other drum machines out there if you feel no attachment or use for an 808 or, 909.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

IanTheM posted:

What would be the point of calling them X0X emulation in the first place then? They're trying to give what they sell, there's tonnes of other drum machines out there if you feel no attachment or use for an 808 or, 909.
I don't think you understood me right, what I don't get is the initial impulse to emulate these machines over and over again. Of course, once you've decided you want to make a 303 clone, you might as well give it your best shot, but why make yet another one in the first place? Is there something inherently desirable in acquiring that, as Yoozer called it so eloquently, quantum-level electron perfect reproduction? Something that isn't satisfied by the literally hundreds of clones already available?

• Locked thread